Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

My Mother, My Best Friend

With my dad on a business trip and my sister still in school in Boston, it was left to me to care for my beautiful mom on Mothers’ Day. No problem– I could handle it! I told my mom to sleep as late as she wanted and to call my cell phone when she woke so I could bring her breakfast. Little did I know just how long she would sleep!

I got up at 6:10, and I still had plenty of time to run, eat, shower, dress, clean the kitchen, AND make my mom’s breakfast before she called me at 10:15!

For breakfast, I cooked up some of my renowned Oatmeal Raisin Pudding (recipe here), and I served it with a few ripe, organic strawberries, a steamy mug of coffee, and a homemade card.

To exercise my creative side, I often like to make presents instead of buying them. Such was the case for Mothers’ Day this year. I found a wooden serving tray at the craft store, painted it, and spelled out “mom” in chipboard letters. Then I made a collage from pictures of my sister and me (it was so difficult to narrow down which pictures to use!).

Breakfast fit for the best mom in the world!

1. romina says:

You’re such a sweetheart!! That tray is adorable. =)

2. chandra says:

OMG – the tray, the card, the food – it all looks SO good! You are so cute and creative!

3. vegan addict says:

Wow, you deserve a daughter’s day! I completely agree with you on homemade gifts. There is so much enjoyment making them and so much fulfillment giving them. Beautiful card and tray!

4. Astra Libris says:

You’re SO sweet! I’m sure your mom knows how lucky she is to have such a talented, kind daughter! The pudding looks scrumptious, and the tray is sooooo adorable and beautiful!

5. Mihl says:

I love the idea that your mother could call you after waking up!
    You are a really great daughter!

6. Cassie says:

That was such a creative and thoughtful gift! I love it! And breakfast looks great too!

7. Alice (in Veganland) says:

I agree that you’re a sweetheart! Mother’s day was last week in Spain and of course I missed it (it’s not my fault that they decide to use a different day! how am I supposed to know!), and my mother was so kind to tell me even the cashier in the supermarket wished her a happy mother’s day because she looked like no one had done it. Whatever…

8. Jenny says:

You are super sweet! What a lucky mom!

Just curious about your running (I run as well), what do you do? Are you training for anything, or is it just for fun? Keep up the great work!

9. loveofoats says:

Awwwwww!!!! That tray is just too adorable & thoughtful 😉 Sounds like you & your mom had a great day :)

10. Ricki says:

What a beautiful way to honor your mother! The tray (and card) is lovely. But I’m sure her best gift was you.

11. Anonymous says:

That is such a cute gift! I just have a question, I am a recent vegetrian and considering becoming vegan, do you monitor your nutrients and calories, I am sure people comment about what you eat and how small you are b/c I get that a lot now and I am worried about if i become a vegan and with tje running. SO i guess im just wondering if you try to get a certain # of calories and amount of nutrients.

Thanks

12. shellyfish says:

That tray was such a cute idea! I’m sure your mom loved it. Homemade is always the best way to go, no matter what! I hope I get spoiled for Mother’s Day – it’s in two weeks here in France.

13. Veg*Triathlete says:

I love the idea for the tray!

14. poopiebitch says:

Awwwww – that is so sweet! I’m sure that tray will become one of her favorite serving pieces!

And that breakfast? Awesome.

15. LisaRene says:

Wonderful homemade gift, both the tray and the healthy breakfast!

16. ChickPea says:

What a perfect way to spend Mother’s Day. Homemade gifts are always the best, in my opinion–those are the ones my mom always saves! The breakfast and your gift are both equally beautiful!

17. Vegan_Noodle says:

That tray is such a cute idea… you are so creative! I’m sure your mom loved it. Plus, spending time with your mom is always the best gift.

18. Bianca says:

Oh, that serving tray just downright precious! I wish I had made something so cute for my mom…I bought her tickets for the two of us to go see Paula Deen later this month…but homemade gifts are truly from the heart.

19. pavotrouge says:

how sweet of you <3

20. pleasantly plump vegan says:

you are so sweet!

21. Vaala says:

That’s a pretty cool Mother’s Day gift (I’m loving the tray). My Dad was out of town as well for Mother’s day…they really should plan these trips better!

22. Caitlin says:

Aww, what a sweet gift! Bet your mom loved it! :)

23. aTxVegn says:

I know your mom was so happy – great job making her day special!

24. kindkitchen says:

Youe mommy is SO lucky and you are so damn creative!!

25. trustmyintuition says:

That was so sweet/thoughtful of you! I’m sure your mom loved it! (Both the oatmeal and the card and tray)

26. Bonnie says:

Aww, I’m sure that made your mother feel very special and happy :) I agree, homemade gifts are often best! and most original, of course.

27. Lizzy says:

I’m sure your mom considers herself fortunate to have such a sweet, caring and lovely daughter!

I love the tray, such a great idea!

28. Cookiemouse says:

That tray was a great idea for a present. Gifts you make yourself are always the best.

29. Pink Theory says:

awww…your mom must have loved it! Such a thoughtful and creative gesture!

30. Irbas says:

that is such a sweeet present! question: what did you paint on top of the pictures so the surface is so shiny and so that you can clean it etc?!?

31. Ashasarala says:

You are such a wonderful daughter! Your mum is very lucky. :) Awesome creativity, too!

32. ChocolateCoveredVegan says:

Thanks everyone for such nice comments! *Smiles*

Caitlin–
    Yuck, your final exam does NOT sound fun… but at least your teacher was smart to tell you to use laptops! And that sounds like a much more environmentally-conscious idea too.
    Yay for current-event nerds!!!

Anonymous–
    When I first became a vegan, I did monitor my nutrients closely, to make sure I was getting everything I needed. And I made sure to listen to my body. I don’t count calories now; I’m pretty much an intuitive eater in that I eat what I want and enjoy it. I eat a pretty healthy diet, but I also love my snacks. I do eat what may seem like quite a lot to some people, but I have a super-fast metabolism, and am also really active, so I burn a lot too. I make sure to eat extra—even sometimes when I’m not hungry—because of how active I am. I think that as long as you are at a happy weight for your body, there’s no need to count calories. Just make sure you aren’t running and eating vegan for the wrong reasons (i.e. to lose weight if you don’t need to). If you don’t know if you’re at a healthy weight, talk to your doctor. Hope this answered your question.