My Mother, My Best Friend

With my dad on a business trip and my sister still in school in Boston, it was left to me to care for my beautiful mom on Mothers’ Day. No problem– I could handle it! I told my mom to sleep as late as she wanted and to call my cell phone when she woke so I could bring her breakfast. Little did I know just how long she would sleep!

I got up at 6:10, and I still had plenty of time to run, eat, shower, dress, clean the kitchen, AND make my mom’s breakfast before she called me at 10:15!

For breakfast, I cooked up some of my renowned Oatmeal Raisin Pudding (recipe here), and I served it with a few ripe, organic strawberries, a steamy mug of coffee, and a homemade card.

To exercise my creative side, I often like to make presents instead of buying them. Such was the case for Mothers’ Day this year. I found a wooden serving tray at the craft store, painted it, and spelled out “mom” in chipboard letters. Then I made a collage from pictures of my sister and me (it was so difficult to narrow down which pictures to use!).

Breakfast fit for the best mom in the world!

1. romina says:

You’re such a sweetheart!! That tray is adorable. =)

2. chandra says:

OMG – the tray, the card, the food – it all looks SO good! You are so cute and creative!

3. vegan addict says:

Wow, you deserve a daughter’s day! I completely agree with you on homemade gifts. There is so much enjoyment making them and so much fulfillment giving them. Beautiful card and tray!

4. Astra Libris says:

You’re SO sweet! I’m sure your mom knows how lucky she is to have such a talented, kind daughter! The pudding looks scrumptious, and the tray is sooooo adorable and beautiful!

5. Mihl says:

I love the idea that your mother could call you after waking up!
    You are a really great daughter!

6. Cassie says:

That was such a creative and thoughtful gift! I love it! And breakfast looks great too!

7. Alice (in Veganland) says:

I agree that you’re a sweetheart! Mother’s day was last week in Spain and of course I missed it (it’s not my fault that they decide to use a different day! how am I supposed to know!), and my mother was so kind to tell me even the cashier in the supermarket wished her a happy mother’s day because she looked like no one had done it. Whatever…

8. Jenny says:

You are super sweet! What a lucky mom!

Just curious about your running (I run as well), what do you do? Are you training for anything, or is it just for fun? Keep up the great work!

9. loveofoats says:

Awwwwww!!!! That tray is just too adorable & thoughtful 😉 Sounds like you & your mom had a great day :)

10. Ricki says:

What a beautiful way to honor your mother! The tray (and card) is lovely. But I’m sure her best gift was you.

11. Anonymous says:

That is such a cute gift! I just have a question, I am a recent vegetrian and considering becoming vegan, do you monitor your nutrients and calories, I am sure people comment about what you eat and how small you are b/c I get that a lot now and I am worried about if i become a vegan and with tje running. SO i guess im just wondering if you try to get a certain # of calories and amount of nutrients.

Thanks

12. shellyfish says:

That tray was such a cute idea! I’m sure your mom loved it. Homemade is always the best way to go, no matter what! I hope I get spoiled for Mother’s Day – it’s in two weeks here in France.

13. Veg*Triathlete says:

I love the idea for the tray!

14. poopiebitch says:

Awwwww – that is so sweet! I’m sure that tray will become one of her favorite serving pieces!

And that breakfast? Awesome.

15. LisaRene says:

Wonderful homemade gift, both the tray and the healthy breakfast!

16. ChickPea says:

What a perfect way to spend Mother’s Day. Homemade gifts are always the best, in my opinion–those are the ones my mom always saves! The breakfast and your gift are both equally beautiful!

17. Vegan_Noodle says:

That tray is such a cute idea… you are so creative! I’m sure your mom loved it. Plus, spending time with your mom is always the best gift.

18. Bianca says:

Oh, that serving tray just downright precious! I wish I had made something so cute for my mom…I bought her tickets for the two of us to go see Paula Deen later this month…but homemade gifts are truly from the heart.

19. pavotrouge says: