Bugs Bunny would be Proud

As a special-education teacher, my mom works hard. Every day, she and many of her co-workers go above and beyond the call of duty. They arrive at school early, stay late, skip lunch breaks, and even bring paperwork to do at home. Ask my mother what transpired on American Idol last night, and I can guarantee she’ll have no idea.

But every now and then, even hard-working teachers need a break. Such was the case last Tuesday, when one of the teachers threw a garden party for the special-ed department. Mommy Dearest asked me if I’d mind making and decorating a cake for her event.

Mind? Was she kidding?! Decorating cakes is one of my all-time favorite activities! And so, I embarked on a quest to veganize my Great Aunt Connie’s carrot cake recipe, which has been a family favorite for generations. When I finished baking and frosting, the cake certainly smelled fantastic… but how would it taste?

Off to the party went the cake. I was a nervous Nelly all day, and when my mom arrived home that night, she didn’t ease my fears. “No one liked the cake,” she said, and my spirits sank to the floor from disappointment. Until I saw the empty cake plate… Turns out, the teachers didn’t like the cake; they LOVED it! It was the hit of the party, with everyone asking for the recipe! Since the veganized recipe is all mine, I got to name it however I saw fit. So I chose to pay homage to my beloved childhood friend, Bugs Bunny.

Bugs Bunny Carrot Cake

2 and 1/4 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup light brown sugar
2/3 cup regular sugar
Ener-G egg substitute for three eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup vegetable oil
2 cups finely grated carrots
1 14-oz can crushed pineapple, drained
Optional: walnuts and raisins (I used both, and recommend both additions.)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl, mix the egg replacer according to the directions on the Ener-G box, then add the sugar, vanilla, and vegetable oil. Combine the ingredients in the two bowls, then add the carrots, pineapple, and optional ingredients.
Smooth the cake batter into a greased 13×9 pan and bake for about 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool, and then frost. I used the Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting recipe found in the cookbook Vegan Cupcakes take over the World.

A feast for Bugs Bunny… or for my carrot-loving puppies.

Boooring!

Ta-Da!

Tags: ,

1. loveofoats says:

Awww I’m sure Thomas had a blast and really appreciated you spending the time with him!!! It sounds like a great time 🙂

And that cake is amazing… just the decorating alone is so neat… you truly have a talent 🙂

2. romina says:

You and your mother are two complete sweethearts!

The cake is beautiful, gosh, you are a cake artist! Have you considered making a career of it?!

3. arielle says:

You’re really good! Looks awesome.

4. Sam says:

That cake looks so pretty and fun! I haven’t had carrot cake in forever, but you’ve piqued my interest in it again!

5. Ruby Red Vegan says:

Your mom sounds like a great lady! I guess you learned to be so awesome from her!

I love your cake — my favorite part is Mr. Sun. He looks too suave for words with his little sunglasses. Thanks for posting the cake recipe — I have a feeling it would make yummy little muffins as well!

I have an idea for our secret mission. I’ll bring the tutu, and you bring a cake, and I will spy and you will distract will luscious homemade sweets.

6. Ruby Red Vegan says:

*Oops, I meant to type “yummy little cupcakes,” not “muffins.” Darn those typos!

7. Becca says:

The cake looks awesome, I love the little puppy! It sounds delicious too!

8. herbstsonne says:

Your cake is GORGEOUS! Do you make all the colored frosting yourself? How long does that take? I’m so inspired!

9. Ricki says:

How could anyone NOT like a cake that adorable? Love the decorations, and the cake sounds sooo good–I think the best carrot cakes have pineapple in them. Lucky Mom and colleagues!

10. Jess - The Domestic Vegan says:

Carrot cake is one of my absolute favorites. That sounds looks so delicious!! How do you manage to make them that adorable each & every time?

And you are so sweet I can’t even stand it.

11. Kimberly says:

That cake is lovely; you’re very talented! Carrot cake = one of my all-time favorite foods; vegan carrot cake = I can die a happy woman. Extra walnuts in mine, please!

And I know you probably already give your mom a hug every day, but please give her an extra one from me sometime, because special education teachers are saints!! I’m a graduate student in education policy and have sat in on Special Ed classes as research… it is truly one of the most demanding, underappreciated, but crucial professions one can pursue. Yay for special education teachers!

12. Vegan On Stage says:

OH MY GOD I CANNOT WAIT TO MAKE THIS!!!!!! i wish i had your metabolism so i could eat all these sweets!!!!

13. magpie says:

I’m so glad everyone loved the cake! It’s great when omnis go crazy over vegan/vegetarian food 🙂

14. shellyfish says:

Mad cake decorating skills Special K! And that cake sounds great, I love carrot cake, especially with pineapple.
    Give your mom extra love- being a teacher is hard, but special ed teachers take it to the next level. And damn girl, you kids look so 70s hip!

15. healthyceliac says:

That cake is SO cute. Seriously…the little dog…you are a true cake artist.
    Being a teacher, I completely admire all of the special education teachers I encounter day after day. I work with quite a few, as I work with at risk kids (a lot of whom have learning disabilities), and each day I am in awe of the patience and dedication each teacher possesses. I truly think that it’s the hardest job in the world, and I have often said that I am glad that there are people in the world who possess those qualities, but I know I couldn’t live in their shoes for even a day.

16. CeciLiA says:

wow Katie, you’re ever so talented!! Btw, is that Molly on your carrot cake? I too get all nervous when I bake something for someone fearing that they won’t like it!

Also I just wanna say, you have such a BIG heart! You gave and show so much love to all the people around you, I’m sure everyone that you have helped in your life would be extremely touched and grateful …

Oh last but not least, I finally got myself a BLOG…. hope you can drop by and visit when you have time 🙂 it’s scrumptiouslyvegan.blogspot.com

Hope you have a great day 🙂

17. Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan says:

i LOVE yr cake. well done girl!!!

18. Lizzy says:

I think I have no other choice but make this cake! My best friend will love me for making it and you for making me make it, ha ha (he’s crazy about carrot cake) 😉
    And after the rave reviews it got… I LOVE the name, btw =D

What a great picture, looks like everyone had a blast! =)

19. Paulina says:

What a beautiful cake! I wish I had your skills 🙂

It’s so great that you and your mom are able to help with the special needs kids. My mom worked with them for a time and loved it.

20. Liz² says:

my heart actually skipped a beat when you wrote that ‘nobody liked the cake!’, I’m so glad they recognized the beauty and deliciousness of it!