Vegan Cupcakes Take Over Ace of Cakes

Pool Party!

For my boyfriend’s little sister’s birthday, I cooked up a batch of vanilla cupcakes (courtesy of Vegan Cupcakes take over the World), and decorated them with a summer theme. I was running out of time, so I used Pillsbury vanilla frosting.

Pillsbury Frosting?!

Surprise! Many of the Pillsbury frostings–even the cream cheese and milk chocolate varieties–are vegan! (They do contain partially-hydrogenated oils, but hey, no one eats cupcakes to be healthy.)

On the day of the party, the boy and I supervised (along with his mom) as the birthday girl and her friends ate up all the cupcakes, then went swimming right afterward. Didn’t their mothers ever tell them not to swim on a full stomach?!

The watermelon was the first to go…

…followed by the sunshine.

And then the rest of the lineup.

My boyfriend was sad; he had his eye on the frog cupcake, and he felt sure that none of his sister’s prissy little friends would want such an ugly, “manly” cupcake. But alas, the greedy girls ate every last bit of every last cupcake– even the fly!

As for the icing: I used an icing tip for a few of the cupcakes (such as the ice cream, below). But for others–including the frog, above–I used the following method:

Whipped Cream Trick

This works for frosting, but it also works for foods such as mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, or even pumpkin pie mousse!

Just put the frosting, mousse, or whatever else in a plastic bag. Then cut a small hole in the corner and squeeze out.  Sweet potato whipped cream, anyone? 🙂

And now, back to your regularly-scheduled cupcakes:

I know it sounds ridiculous, but lately I’ve been thinking how much fun it would be to open up a Cupcakery– or at least a catering business– because I just enjoy cupcake-decorating so much.

I can hear my mom and dad now: “We spent all that much money on her education and this is her life’s aspiration?!”

Tags:

1. lighterportions says:

I love every single one of your cupcakes! I love how you decorated each one differently, they are all completely adorable. You should definitely consider opening your own catering business, I think that would be a ton of fun and I think you have a ton of potential to get an awesome business running!

2. romina says:

Your boyfriend’s family must love you!

3. Kati says:

SO adorable! I can’t believe the Pillsbury frostings are vegan – I’m sure most people buying them don’t even realize…but then they wonder what vegans can possibly eat, right?

You definitely have the creativity to do some serious cupcakery – and hey, once you graduate from school, you can do what you want. 😉

4. flvegan says:

Your cupcakes look AMAZING–but really, I didn’t expect anything less! 😉

Opening up a vegan cupcake shop would be soooo cute! Like Babycakes in NYC, only in TX!

5. Ruby Red Vegan says:

Yes, yes, open a cupcakery! Your cupcakes knock other cupcakes dead, so you would definitely made some cash from that! Then once you become a millionaire with the help of your cupcakes, you can appease your parents by getting a “real” job. 🙂

I like the ice cream cone one a lot — is that mint chocolate chip, by chance?! These particular cupcakes all had the perfect “attitude” to show up at a little girl’s summer birthday party!

6. Jenn says:

I am speechless (well, not really, I always have something to say)! WOW! These cupcakes are gorgeously decorated and look so tasty! I’m especially partial to the watermelon one, I can see why it was the first to go!

I think you should definitely consider the business – you obviously have a talent! And with your success you could pay back your parents for the money they spend on that education ;o)

7. shellyfish says:

Dear or dear, these are just oozing cuteness! How did you do it? These are super cute, and you’re right, cupcakes are, really, not health food!

8. Kimberly says:

A vegan cupcakery is a great idea – there is such a growing market for it these days! For example, Sticky Fingers, the vegan bakery in DC, is HUGELY popular (with veggies and omnis alike.) And since you are clearly a natural leader, you could be very successful running a small business! Being the boss is a pretty sweet set-up – my aunt owns a bakery/frozen custard shoppe on the Jersey Shore, and gets to set her own schedule, only works half the year, hand-picks all employees, etc.

AND – you could offer vegan ice-cream and frappe delights in the summer. Give Cold Stone a run for their money 🙂

P.S. Whenever I make an elaborate meal for my family, my dad shakes his head and says good-naturedly, “Watch, all that money for a degree from NYU and Kimmy ends up deciding to become a chef… well, I guess stranger things have happened” 😉

9. loveofoats says:

i love the watermelon one 🙂

i am a firm believer that you should follow your passions, so i think you’d definitely be incredibly successful… i’d definitely be a customer!!!!

10. poopiebitch says:

DO IT! That would be so cool!

I’m just in awe at the patience you must have had, coloring all those different shades of icing!

11. magpie says:

These are absolutely adorable! Your boyfriend’s sister is very lucky to have you 🙂

You should definitely consider having a cupcake shop; there aren’t enough vegan options being sold out there!

12. Kate says:

Those cupcakes are great, and the watermelon would have been my first pick too!

Having an undergraduate degree is a stepping point for many other careers. My career is completely unrelated to my undergrad (psychology/communications) and I have a Master’s in Business…take like 2 business classes and you’re in!!

13. Lizzy says:

can i agree with everyone else and say AWESOME MUCH!?
    i LOVE the watermelon. and the frog&fly cupcake rocks! too bad your boyfriend didn’t get it.
    i wouldn’t dare to eat one of your creations. i would most likely cut the cupcake top off right where the liner ends and keep it. a) because that way i could still enjoy your decoration and b) i think i would puke from that amount of icing
    but HOLLA, i’m impressed! i’m sure the kids loved them =)

ha ha, i had to laugh out loud when i read the last sentence.. that’s what i thought my parents would say back when i still dreamt of being a maitres chocolatier at lindt (actually, i still do hehe)

and

14. herbstsonne says:

Ha, if I had a dollar for every time my parents said that…

Your cupcakes are gorgeous! I like the froggy best!

15. Kelly T says:

k, so i was just going to tell you that you should seel your cupcakes, and then you mentioned it at the bottom, so, yeah, you should. Those are so cute. You should start out small and get your parents and friends parents to spread the word. id order them, they are so cute!

16. Katie says:

There’s nothing wrong with selling adorable, delicious cupcakes for a living! I’d love it if there was one near my city.

17. Vegan On Stage says:

katie… as cute and silly as those cupcakes are.. you are extremely talented. They look beautiful!!! did you make the little topping characters or did you buy them???

I’m sure your boyfriends little sister LOVES you…!!!

18. Cakespy says:

The ice cream one kind of makes me want to faint with happiness. It’s so cute!!!! I love them all of course though!

19. Traci Anne says:

How did you make the decorations? It kinda looks like fondant, except the ones that are standing! And you should ABSOLUTELY open a cupcakery. In Dallas. So I can go all the time. Just saying.

20. fruity says:

These are amazing!! I would love to learn this skill. Let’s see, I’ll strike a deal with you: you teach me cake decorating and I’ll teach you photography! I’ll even throw in a few chocolate bars! 😉