Red, White, Blue, and Vegan (Part One)

Ok, first I have to tell you all this hilarious story: On the morning of the Fourth of July, I went out to a running trail by a local lake. I was minding my own business when suddenly I noticed a man going the opposite direction, wearing patriotic SPANDEX shorts! He had on a blue tee shirt and bright red spandex shorts with white stars. I’m amazed that they even sell something so heinous! It definitely put me in a light mood for the rest of my run, because every time I thought about the guy, I burst out laughing!

The rest of the day was much less bizarre. My family attended a barbecue at the home of one of our neighbors. The weather was gorgeous, and I thoroughly enjoyed an afternoon and evening of swimming, playing lawn sports, having water-balloon fights, and catching up with my neighbors and family.

The main course at the party was brisket (it’s a type of chewy, overcooked meat that’s common at Texas barbecues. I’m happy to say I never liked it even in my pre-veg days, so I don’t miss it at all). I brought my own patriotic meal. Check out the red, white, and… black? Too bad there isn’t such a thing as “blue beans” but at least I had the meal on a blue plate!

Black beans, brown rice with vegan butter, and roasted red peppers. I also had a salad with purple kale and red and green Romaine and peach salsa.
Since when did they add green to the American flag?! With the black beans, brown rice, and green salad, I guess my meal wasn’t so patriotic after all. Oh well– at least I tried!
Dessert! My super-health-conscious neighbor (he does Ironman competitions!) put together this beautiful fruit salad that consisted simply of fruit and a little lemon juice. Über Yum!
Judging by all the grass she collected on her fur, I think it’s safe to say that silly Molly had a little *too much* fun, … until the fireworks started, that is. Poor Molly and Henry hated the loud noise.

Sister bonding!

1. Sam says:

How lovely! That fruit salad looks super refreshing!

2. talieworld says:

The guy in spandex sounds too funny!!
    Very cute picture of you and your sister 🙂

3. shellyfish says:

Patriotic, shmatriotic! You lunch looks yummy either way! And woo hoo for playing outside, sister bonding, and water balloons!

4. Allison says:

I was laughing the whole time I read your story!~Haha seriously, who would sell those shorts?! You and your sister are beautiful! It looks like you had a fun day…can’t wait for part 2!

5. Emma says:

hehee- what a funny sight to see on your run!

Food looks yummy, especially those peppers mmmm!

6. Katy says:

I’ve never even had brisket (guess it’s not a Seattle thing) but your dinner looks millions of times better!

And Molly is just so cute!!!

7. Kimberly says:

Gah, brisket. I’m Jewish, so brisket is front and center on the table at pretty much every holiday. I didn’t realize it was a Texan thing as well!

And a dude in patriotic Spandex is weird, but what’s even weirder is that the sellers probably make a decent chunk of change off of them this time of year!

8. Danielle says:

Guy? Spandex? Red, White & Blue?

Hahahaha, you have no idea how much that just made my day… thanks 🙂

You and your sister are adorable by the way!

9. Sara says:

Funny spandex!!

I have a question for you though, if you don’t mind answering. I’m new to your blog so I was wondering why you ate all your meals with chopsticks?

Thanks, and keep up the fantastic work!!

10. Healthy eating blog says:

aww, im glad you had fun! you guys look absolutly GORGEUS!! :o) im really you had a fun 4th of july! :o)

11. mad about udon says:

Happy belated 4th of July! Excellent holiday colour-matching efforts! I would have suggested blueberries, but blueberries + peppers + rice = something that probably doesn’t taste so good.

12. healthyceliac says:

That guy in the spandex is too much. Don’t you love it when things like that just happen in everyday life, and they make your day?

Your food looked great, even if it wasn’t too patriotic. And the picture of you and your sister is really cute!

13. ChocolateCoveredVegan says:

Hey Sara,
    Thanks for the kind comment :o).

Here’s a link to a post where I explain why I use chopsticks: http://howtogainweightonavegandiet.blogspot.com/2008/04/four-truths-and-lie.html

To give you the short version, I grew up in a country that uses them, so I learned to use chopsticks even before a fork!

14. VegMomma says:

Haha! You’re too cute. Too bad you didn’t have a camera for the crazy runner!

15. Amy says:

What a nice summery meal! I had watermelon for the first time in a while. I forgot how delicious it is!

16. Caitlin says:

Looks like you had a fun (and yummy) 4th. Aww, your doggie is so cute! My dog is also scared of loud noises like fireworks and thunderstorms…she always starts whining and hides! Poor thing. 🙁 Glad you had a fun day!

17. Jenn says:

Patriotic spandex? Wow, I couldn’t help but laugh when I read that one :o)

It looks like a fun and delicious holiday for you! Nice work incorporating all the colors of the flag – didn’t you hear? Black and green are the new blue, so you’re set ;o)

18. Ricki says:

Sounds like a great day, even with the weird spandex beginning. . . greens and peach salsa? Another original, interesting combination from CCV! 🙂

19. Anonymous says:

i know i am just an observer, but you are very thing sweetie and you dont seem to be eating enough fats/proteins. it would be beneficial for your heath and at your weight to eat more than just greens, fruit, and veggies. (faux meats or grilled bbq tempeh, non-dairy ice cream, vegan cupcakes, etc)

1. trajayjay says:

I honestly don’t think she should have a problem, she loves chocolate and fatty pastries so she should be fine.

20. Anonymous says: