Recipe: Snickerdoodles for Breakfast!

The recipe post: A few months ago, I posted a tribute to a favorite breakfast: Snickerdoodle Oatmeal.

But in my exuberance to highlight an amazing concoction, I left out the most important part of my post: the actual recipe!  I didn’t even realize it until a reader brought it to my attention. And speaking of reader questions, I’ve also been asked:

How can you manage to run for over an hour in the mornings, make a gourmet breakfast, and still get to class on time?

Answer: I do a lot of the breakfast prep-work the day/night before.  As an example, here’s a Quicker-Snicker(doodle) recipe:

zz1

Serves one hungry CCK or one and a half normal people.

Snickerdoodle Hot Cereal

• 3/4 cup (60g) kamut flakes or oats
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
  • salt
  • 2 tbsp almond milk – plus extra if you cook your cereal in milk
  • Sweetener to taste (sugar, stevia, maple syrup, etc…)

Microwave times may vary due to wattage. This used a 1000-watt microwave. In a large Pyrex measuring cup, combine the flakes with 1 ¼ cups liquid and salt (I use ¼ tsp plus 1/8 tsp). In other words, use the Voluminous Oatmeal Trick! Microwave 4 minutes.  Then microwave for another 30 seconds to 1 minute, watching to ensure it doesn’t spill over. Leave out for 10-15 minutes, then stir and cover completely with cling wrap. Put in the fridge.  It’s ok if the flakes are liquidy—that will evaporate. (If it’s watery soup, however, you might want to stick it uncovered in the fridge for a few hours before covering). The next day, your breakfast is ready for you to play! Stir in the vanilla, cinnamon, sweetener, and milk.  I also add 1/4 tsp more salt, but taste and decide.  Stir. Now I like to use a hand blender, only for 4-5 pulses so the Snickerdoodle cereal will keep its chewy texture.  If you like your cereal hot, you can microwave it again.  But I actually prefer this cold.  Especially after a run, the coolness is really refreshing.

1. Erin says:

You make such pretty breakfasts! I need to find those flakes. I’m obsessed with grains. Snickerdoodle cereal is on my list of things to make. Cookies for breakfast sounds wonderous.

2. VeganWoman says:

Who would have known it would be possible to have Snickerdoodle goodness in the morning! We are trying that this weekend!

3. Coconutgal says:

Mmmm Snickerdoodles. I remember they were the first cookies I sent to my now husband before we met, when he was still living in Oz. And he was like “um, yeah… they’re … good.” Since then I’ve learned that Australians, or maybe just mine in particular, do NOT like cinnamon. Seriously!! Who doesn’t like cinnamon? He complains us “Americans add it to everything!”
    I’ve made this cereal before but never really thought of it snickerdoodle… I think I may need to add more milk.
    You must have a food scale because I don’t know how much 30 grams of milk is. Do you know the cup measurement? And the cup measurement for the cereal?
    Also- what sweetener do you prefer (sugar, setvia, agave)? Just cuz I’m curious!

4. Stacie says:

Hey, Katie,
    I tried young Thai coconut last night (I wrote about it and posted pics on my blog just a bit ago. I also posted a link to your blog.)

Anyway, not a hit just to eat, but the leftovers gave my green smoothie a really nice tropical flavor this morning.

Gee, what to try next? Maybe snickerdoodles for breakfast? Oops, can’t, I’ve already done something really similar to that.

Thanks,

5. Yasmin says:

I think I’ve decided I want to start trying butternut squash. Whatcha think? I’ve seen it but never tried it.

6. Shelby says:

Love those snickerdoodle oats!!!

I tried Israeli Couscous for the first time yesterday. It’s like regular couscous but on steroids =)

7. Krista says:

I love kamut flakes for breakie!!!!! 🙂

8. I love snickerdoodles. That looks so good.

9. Marianne says:

Good looking bowl of cereal. Perhaps kamut flakes should be on my “new foods to try” list.

10. Stacie says:

Hey thank you so much for helping me figure out how to do the links correctly. I went in and fixed the link to your site from my post. I tried the old link and it actually went to your blogspot site–now it’s heading people in the right direction.

Thanks again. You are wonderful

11. FoodsThatFit says:

I just printed the Snickerdoodle recipe!! I actually bought kamut flakes the other day because I had seen you make some amazing creations with them. I am excited to try this!!!

12. Sarah says:

Sometime I will have to put up a video of Gracie when she is eating snickerdoodles at about 15 months. “mmm….doodles. I love doodles….”

13. laci says:

This would be great for oat bran- plus a whipped banana and some raisins or chopped dates and of course my beloved nutbutter 🙂

14. Jessica says:

I’m doing my grocery shopping tomorrow so I’ll be on the lookout for an exciting new item 🙂

Your breakfasts always sound soooo good! My stomach is growling just thinking about snickerdoodle cereal!!

15. runsarah says:

I saw kamut flakes just a few hours ago when I was at the grocery store — next time I’m there, I’ll have to pick them up, your cereal looks yummy and unique!

16. Snickerdoodle ad oatmeal- what could be better?

Regarding your new foods challenge, I’m wondering if there are any new fruits/vegetables/spices that you have tried in the past that you really enjoyed? I’ve already got a few things in mind for this challenge, but would love some to hear of some of your favorites.

17. Emily says:

hahah! love the roomie quote! The oats sound awesome!

18. Emmy says:

🙂

So glad you gave us the recipe, I have always loved snickerdoodles.

Probably one of my favorite cookies, so as a hot breakfast.. nothing could be finer!

Loveyababe.

-E

19. mmm, anything snickerdoodle sounds good to me!

20. Jane says:

yay thanks for posting the recipe!
    i’ve been soo busy working at the pittsburgh marathon expo that i haven’t gone grocery shopping for awhile, but today i tried a new tea flavor (i know that doesn’t count). i usually get chamomile or peppermint but i was inspired by your challenge to get outside the box and i got ginger lemon. it was sooo good! the spicy hot ginger and tangy lemon made a great combo that gave me a boost of energy for working all day! 🙂