Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

All the Way Arame

The seaweed is always greener…

As a little girl in Japan, I’d often come across Nori, a popular snack food.  Nori is a thin, dried sheet of seaweed used for sushi, sprinkled on foods as a condiment, or just eaten plain.  My sister absolutely adored the stuff.  But me?  I detested it.  When we moved away from Japan, I was sad to leave many things.  Nori was not one of them.

With the bad memories of nori etched in my mind, I had no plans for a reunion. A few weeks ago, however, I decided to grant my nemesis a second chance: in the form of arame.

I found that I really like arame!  The taste is not as “fishy” as nori or hijiki, nor is it as sickly-salty.  It adds a perfect compliment to the veggies in the following salad, which I’ve been chomping non-stop. And it’s so easy to prepare– you don’t even need to cook it!

All the way Arame Salad

(A good source of iron, potassium, and calcium)

• Dried arame
  • Water
  • Carrot
  • Green pepper
  • Red pepper
  • Zucchini
  • Celery
  • Other veggies of choice (red onion is really good, as is red cabbage)
  • Shoyu
  • Rice vinegar

Soak the arame in water for 5 minutes. Drain. Cut the raw veggies into bite-sized pieces and add them to the arame. Then add the vinegar and shoyu (equal parts vinegar and shoyu), and mix well. Serve cold. Best if first served the next day, to give the veggies time to “marinate.”

Tags: , , , ,

1. Vic says:

Seaweed is so good. Im glad you gave it a second try. Your salad looks great too!

2. Yasmin says:

I tried seaweed once and loved it! This challenge has been fantastic. Today I tried kale for the first time. Thanks for making me push myself out of a rut and to experience new food! I’ve found some new favorites along the way.

3. Run Sarah says:

Your salads look lovely – yum! Can’t wait to try my new food this week :)

4. Anne K. says:

I tried seaweed about 4 years ago and didn’t like it– maybe I should give it another chance. That salad looks yummy!

5. justine says:

Katie your so creative!! I love your meals. I have never had Arame but thanks for the idea! I will have to look for it next time I hit up a WF.

6. Emily says:

I have never tried it! Hmmm…perharps I should give it a go!

YAY for giveaways! I am hosting one too!

7. snugglebunny says:

Not really in to seaweed either, but will have to try your salad. Looks like it would make a great lunch for work. Have that salad with some rice with furikake, walnuts, some fruit and something sweet.

8. That salad looks delicious- love all of the colorful veggies!

9. JB says:

i knew it was arame! :)
    i bought a bag of it a week or so ago but haven’t made it yet. i love arame, i’ve just never prepared it myself. your “all the way arame” salad looks really colorful and tasty! i don’t know if i could stomach it for breakfast, but it looks like an appetizing lunch or dinner!

10. sweetkaroline says:

I reallly need to get out more hahaha…I’ve never heard of arame before.

You eat so healthily it really inspires me to eat better!

11. *Andrea* says:

i love when you post pics of meals. they always are so balanced and fun and great for me to TRY to mimic 😉 cinnamon raisin toast is always very comforting for bfast. ezekiel is amazing too – i saw a rerun of oprah this wk (on the biggest loser show and how the contestants are doing Now -from a season or two ago) and even oprah said she likes ezekiel bread hehe.

12. Ricki says:

I think arame is my favorite sea veggie. Your salad sounds yummy!

13. ellie says:

I was SO close to getting some nori wraps (cone shaped- how cool!) for the last day of the challenge…go out with a BANG, heh. I opted for some awesome purple sprouts though which were GREAT! I blogged and posted in the competition thread!

14. tried loquat, and sunnut butter, and….hmmm what else. oh, some morelo cherry jam w/o sugar (just applejuice concentrate)…. really liked the loquat. kinda citrucy and appleish. and the stones are fun and would make good playing pieces for a boardgame….oooh and made some molases waver thingermerjiggers by just throwing ingredients. good sandwich cookie biscuit; just need to decide on a filling…maybe morello cherry jam?

15. Katharina says:

Last night I got back to my place and woke up with no groceries (I’d been out of town for quuuuite awhile). So in search of SOMETHING I found a can of something I totally forgot about! It was a can of gooseberries. I had to rinse them off though because they were canned in an incredibly thick syrup (yuuuck!). I liked them, but I think they would taste better with something vanilla-y. Perhaps I’ll make vanilla oats tomorrow and make a little something-something.

16. Christina says:

You sure know how to make seaweed look appetizing!

17. Krista says:

Glad you re-tried nori and found that you liked it! I find that foods I hated as a child are actually pretty good now. Weird how our taste buds evolve! 😉

18. Meghan says:

I tried starfruit, ugh I had the same opinion as you. Too bad too cause it’s so cute!! I also tried okra, I oven fried it and loooved it!

19. I’ve never actually tried seaweed like that before. Just dusle/kelp flakes.
    I’ve never been one to love anything fishy tasting, but maybe I should give it a try!

20. broccolihut says:

“There’s no crying in baseball!!”

21. Elyse says:

Mmm, I love nori. I’m so glad you branched out and added arame to your daily meal. It sure does look delicious!

22. Mihl says:

You are brave, Katie! I love how you made the arame work for you.

23. CurlyTop says:

It’s always a good idea to try foods we thought we hated as kiddos. ;P It can lead to some suprisingly delicious results.

Have a great Monday!

With Love,

24. Kate says:

Ahh! I am so behind-I’m catching up on all your posts! Didn’t even know a/b the New Food Challenge! Close call.

25. Evey says:

Hey Miss Katie!

Hmm, arame? This looks like something I need to give a try sometime soon. Thanks for the recommendation and your recipe.

Hope your summer is going well! :-)

26. Monica says:

I spent many a happy year in Japan as a kid, too! I developed a taste for seaweed pretty early on in life :) I don’t know if I’ve ever tried arame though….I’m definitely going to keep an eye out for it.

27. ttfn300 says:

don’t know if i’ve seen arame, time to keep my eyes peeled :)

28. Oh my gosh, Katie…I must have printed this recipe out a long time ago and I’ve made it tons of times…I’m blogging about it right now and needed to go figure out where the recipe came from so I could link to it…I couldn’t believe it was from you! Ha! I love it!! I never would have guessed my chocolate-covered friend also liked arame :) This is a great recipe. I also added some wakame, avocado, and dried cherries to it. The avocado is great and adds a little more satiety to it.