Operation Chocolate-Covered Kindness

Operation Chocolate-Covered Kindness

I always want to help others but often get bogged down in the thought that “I’m just one small person; how much help can I really be?”

And there are so many worthy causes out there that it’s easy to become discouraged and give up. People often get so overwhelmed at the vastness of the suffering that they’ll choose to do nothing because they can’t help with everything. (I’ve been guilty of this too.)  Please don’t fall into this trap!  Sure, you’re just one person, and you can’t do everything; but anything is better than nothing.

Currently, I’m involved with two charity projects: Africards and Project Pillows.  But I’ve been so blessed in life that I feel like I really ought to do even more.  A few weeks ago, I began brainstorming money-raising ideas.  I love how some bloggers have held Blogger Bake Sales and debated holding one too.  But then I thought about how much money would be lost due to shipping costs.  There had to be something else… Another idea was to put together an e-cookbook.  I still might do this; however the idea has its own drawbacks (the #1 drawback being I’d have no idea how to even start!  Would I ask for submissions from readers?  And what about copyright laws?  Would anyone even buy my book?)

Then it hit me:

What about holding a Page View Charity Drive? What I’m hoping to do with this charity drive is to get as many page views as possible.  More page views = more money raised.  Then, at the end of the month, I’ll send all of the money over to one of my favorite charities, The Enough Project.

We bloggers talk incessantly about “perfect” meals and “delicious” foodie products.  We spend hours browsing the expensive offerings at Whole Foods, making our meals as aesthetically-pleasing as possible, and photographing said meals with fancy digital cameras.  But the people being helped by the Enough Project are happy to get ANY meal.  And while people like me run for fun, others in the world are running because they have to in order to survive.

It really puts things in perspective and makes me want to help as much as I possibly can.  I’m not going to set a goal amount, since I really have no idea what t expect.  But no matter how much we end up raising, every little bit helps, and every little person can make a BIG difference!

1. I think this is a wonderful idea!!!!!!! 🙂

2. VeganWoman says:

Lovely Ideas Katie! I will check it out!

3. *Andrea* says:

i don’t have a blog but i will visit your site as often as possible. great idea and perfect for this time of year 🙂

4. I love love love this idea. I am going to mention this on my blog tonight. You’re fabulous 🙂

5. littlemissminny says:

I think this is a great idea, and I’ll definitely help you!

6. Leah says:

what an awesome idea! I already view your blog like 5 times daily for recipes/tips, I’ll just do it even more now!

7. jcd says:

Great idea Katie! I’ll be clicking whenever I can.

8. Whit says:

AWESOME! I’ll be clicking and linking to you love!

9. I’m all over it- especially with the pet charity which is so near and dear to my heart. I used to click every day on a pet charity site and each click gave a certain amount of money. I switched laptops and forgot the site, but this is similar (and reminds me to look up that old site). Thanks for doing it!
    Deb

10. This is a wonderful idea! I’ll be sure to click around and link as much as I can 🙂

11. Katie says:

As my fellow monster bride I will try to help ya out the best I can. I’m a relatively new blog, and don’t have many page hits, but I can certainly try to help ya!

12. Abby says:

Amazing idea.. I will be sure to spread the word and click away! 🙂

13. Jessica says:

I love your idea! I’ll definitely participate 🙂

14. You amazing big hearted inspiring woman! Of course I will help! I LOVE this idea, thank you so much for doing it!

15. glambaa says:

hey katie 🙂 i’ve been a long time reader but a never before commentor, but i figure now’s the time to come out of the shadows 😛 i think this is an awesome idea and although i don’t blog all that frequently, i’ll definitely try and link back to your blog as much as i can!

16. Lori says:

What a great idea. I will be clicking away!!

17. Mama Pea says:

I was thinking about these very issues over the weekend and how I can help. I will definitely plug your pursuit on my blog, I think you are just fantastic!

18. Count me in Katie. I’ll link as much as I can. 🙂

19. molly says:

Wow – what a great mission!
    I’ll be sure to do what I can!