Vegan Thursdays

I’ve never really taken seriously the tradition of making new year’s resolutions.  However, I have a friend who is serious about her Resolutions. And this year she called me, all excited, to tell me about her idea:

After reading my post, Help for Omnivores interested in Veganism, she decided that one day a week, she’s going to be a vegan.  Obviously, her news made me super-happy.  But it also got me thinking…

vg

Vegan Thursdays

You can make this challenge whatever you want.

It doesn’t mean you have to have a whole vegan day.  It could mean trying just one vegan meal or snack that day.  Or maybe not even a whole meal; maybe you just want to try a new vegan recipe or main dish.  It doesn’t even need to be gourmet; pasta with tomato sauce is vegan, as are bean burritos, fruit salads… and you can find lots more Vegan Recipe Ideas..

For someone like me, maybe Vegan Thursdays can mean trying out a new vegan recipe (as opposed to something in our usual repertoire) or a new food. Maybe you’re a vegan who’s always been afraid to try seitan, for example.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it…

I’m going to start this coming Thursday.  Anyone want to join me?  You don’t have to participate every Thursday. Like I said, you can make this challenge what you want it to be. 🙂

1. I think this is a great idea! This past week, I have decided to cross into vegan-land (I am currently a vegetarian). I am on board with Vegan Thursdays 🙂

2. Marina says:

oh I definitely want to participate! 🙂
    can’t wait to try some interesting vegan recipes 🙂

3. This is a great idea! I have been planning on eating a raw meal each week to help me like veggies more! Love it!

4. brandi says:

what a fun idea! I’ll have to think about it and come up with some ideas 🙂

5. Kara says:

If I eat vegan, will I look as pretty as you do in that picture? :)You’re glowing!
    I’m definitely going to participate! Love the idea!

6. Pam says:

Great idea Katie! Most of the time we do eat at least raw/vegetarian and we have done raw/vegan in the past…I love doing both ways. Balance. Sounds like fun!

Enjoy!

7. This sounds pretty fun! I might try to cook a different vegan recipe every Thursday (I tend to get in a rut …). Thanks for the interesting challenge 🙂

8. Jessica says:

Great idea! Thursdays are already long for me, but I can probably do a different day. I got a few new cookbooks for X-Mas that I’m ready to dive into…

9. ohhmay says:

I would love to!!! I eat fish and eggs right now, but it should be simple enough to swap them out…
    Actually I think I will take this challenge as a challenge for my whole family- I’ll try to prepare them vegan lunches, snacks and then make a vegan dinner!! It should be fun!!

10. Kate says:

Sounds great! I fell of the vegan wagon when we went to Romania, but I think this would help me saddle back up. 🙂

11. Sounds great, I’ll join in for a whole day vegan challenge this Thursday. It will help me prepare for Gena’s cleanse that starts on the 18th!

12. I eat a lot of vegan meals and I love this idea! Now that I eating this way I have found that it is quite simple to eat a vegan diet.

13. Mama Pea says:

I love this Katie! It’s kind of like Meatless Monday, but one step further. I love your recipes (and mine too, obviously) because they don’t scream, “I’m a vegan!!!” I’m sure a lot of your family and friends (like mine), don’t even know that it’s vegan, they just know it’s delicious. I will try to spread the word!!!

14. Jenny says:

there are so many vegan recipes floating around blogville than I’m itching to try.. so yes, my vegan guru – I will accept your mission! I hope to do you proud 🙂

15. Gena says:

Woohoo! I love this! A terrific idea for all of us. I’ll be shouting it out and participating, to be sure.

16. Melinda says:

Nice idea. Hopefully people will remember to eat responsibly when trying out vegan and getting in complementary proteins and not skipping on anything that would eliminate vitamins and minerals. Vegans know how to eat right, so someone incorporating more vegan meals should make sure they know the tricks of the trade too and how to avoid any nutritional deficiencies. For me, this would be easily done in the states, but over here, I may not get enough protein if I tried vegan. just not enough options. Tofu and beans!

17. Chrysta says:

I love this idea girl! How cool! Im definently in for vegan thursdays!!

18. Demelza says:

Haha, that’s kind of funny you mention this because I’ve actually been planning on designating a vegan day per week for myself. :] I was thinking of mentioning it to my mom today to see if she wanted to try it with me, because we’ve been trying several new things together recently (yoga, pedicures…).

You can certainly count me in on this. ;]

19. Ooh, I can totally do this one since I also eat vegan every Thursday. 🙂

20. Tiffany S. says:

I will join you in a totally imperfect way by trying a new Vegan/Vegetarian recipe once a week. That’s a huge commitment for me, but, for you, nadda problem!