Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Raw Tiramisu Balls

Or Tiramisu Larabars… Larabar Company, can I have a job yet? Pretty please, with cacao nibs on top?

Presenting the newest member of the Fudge Baby clan:

Completely raw. Completely vegan. Completely incredible.

Tiramisu Babies

(Makes about 3 Larabar-sized bars)

• 90 grams dates, which is about 1/2 c (as usual, see this post if you’re unsure as to what type of dates to use)
  • 30 grams cashews
  • 20 grams macadamia butter (a bit more than a tablespoon) (If you don’t have macadamia butter: you can probably use the real nuts. Or see version 2.)
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp instant coffee powder, or a bit less (depending on how much of a coffee flavor you want)
  • 2-3 tiny drops almond extract (watch out; this stuff is strong!)
  • 1 tsp cocoa powder, or a bit more (I use Hershey’s Special Dark)

Blend all the ingredients in your food processor (I use the Magic Bullet short cup).  Form into bars, balls, or cookie-cuttered shapes.  (If the dough is too soft, fridge or freeze before shaping.)  EDIT: Some of the specific ingredients I used are not 100% raw.  Feel free to sub your favorite raw cacoa powder and coffee substitute for a 100%-raw treat.

Version 2:

Use the recipe for Hot Chocolate fudge babies, cutting the amount of cocoa in half.  Then add the extracts and coffee powder from the above recipe.

znyc 594

These taste AMAZING straight out of the freezer.

Optional ideas:
1. Add a splash of rum
2. Add melted chocolate
3. Form into bars and spread Raw Cheesecake on the tops
Or… use this as the crust, fill with the raw cheesecake mousse , and you have a super-simple raw & vegan Tiramisu Pie!

1. Oh my gosh Katie, you are my long lost soul sista. I am a total plucking addict. Keep tweezers everywhere! That girl who is sitting there stopped even though the light turned green is ME plucking my eyebrows in the car. I swear, car sunlight is the best for plucking!

You post a good looking pancake recipe, and I am on it!

Love coffee flavored anything, and therefore lovin your latest babies. :)

2. Leah says:

Haha you had me cracking up with the eyebrow tweezing!!
    i can get kind of obsessive with note taking, making sure everything is written perfectly etc…and then most of the time I hardly use the notes later! such a waste of time…
    also, those tiramisu balls look incredible! too bad i just ate the last dates yesterday!! i need to restock so i can make these!

3. Tiramisu is my most favorite dessert!!! I love coffee flavor, but not coffee. I actually never tweezed my eyebrows! My mom scared me about it when I was little. I do wax my own tho. :)

4. lexi. says:

Yes for tiramisu babies! Love the idea.

Yes, I get really tedious when it comes to searching for things on the internet or organizing files on my computer! i waste way too much time!

5. Heather says:

Awesome creation! I bought instant espresso powder at Williams Sonoma & I love to use it in baking (or in this case, NON-baking). I might have to try these!

I’m also crazy about my eyebrows & fingernail grooming :)

6. Jessica says:

Yay, another variation for me to try! It’s funny, yesterday I was just thinking about making a new batch…

I get really obsessive about whatever book I happen to be reading – to the point where I’ll read for hours and lose track of time.

7. hahaha that eyebrow obsession totally gets me everytime, too! that one dang hair! i try and try and try, but all i seem to do is dig a small hole in my skin =X oops! the tiramisu fudgebabies look incredible, as all of your little babies do :)

8. Cindy says:

mmmmmmmmm tiramisu. gotta try that!

now that I am done with low gi week I might just have to treat myself to some AND pancakes!

9. Christina says:

Those tiramisu babies sound so good! Tiramisu is one of my absolute favorite desserts.

I often research random things online for hours. Like yesterday I was searching cities I might want to move to 8 years from now. Not really sure what the point of that was!

10. Jenny says:

girrrrl If I didn’t have a caffeine addiction before, now I definitely will. What are you doing to meeeeee?!!?

11. Yum! I have not had tiramisu since I went vegan, so it looks like this is my chance! These look great, thanks for the recipe. :)

12. erintakescontrol says:

OMG those babies sound fantastic! Will definitely try – that’s recipe #2 from the blogosphere where I need to buy almond extract to make it! Must go to store…

I’m so OCD at times and there are certain things that must be done in order for me to feel okay, even though they are tiny things that have no purpose other than to reassure me. Ridiculous! I’m better than I was years ago, but a few things still lurk in my brain that I just can’t get over…

13. maggie says:

Finally!!! I’ve secretly been waiting for you to make some type of play off desserts in fudge baby form! My favorite dessert… I will die complete :)

14. You mean you haven’t received your six-figure salary offer for flavor creation in the mail yet?

15. Chrysta says:

ahha you are too funny girl! I love your babies! Cannot wait to make these tiramsu ones. So awesome! You are ssoo creative. I’ll tell ya, Larabars better hire you. Or better yet, start your own baby company! You know id be a customer for life=)
    Love the oatmeal cookie breakfast. I gotta try those sometimes. Have a great day hon!!! xoxo

16. Tiffany S. says:

I had a big fight with WordPress over the weekend – I finally deleted (after copying my post into Word) and started over. Chris looked at the HTML and it was a mess so better to start fresh. It drives me NUTS when something works fine and then just doesn’t (but then again I work with Microsoft so I’m kinda used to it).

Be careful with over-plucking. Do I have to sing you my sad eyebrow woes again?

17. luc8 says:

Looks delicious! Thanks Katie! Of course, for those of you who are actually following a raw food lifestyle, be aware that these are definitely not raw (and certainly not “completely raw”), since neither the Hershey’s cocoa, nor the endangered species chocolate, nor the coffee (regardless of which variety you use) is raw. Just something to keep in mind for the sake of clarity and accuracy in labeling! But that being said, for the non-raw vegans out there, dig in!

18. Nora says:

great idea, katie!

19. Katie says:

Genius…as always! I can’t wait to try the latest babe.

I have been known to overpluck my eyebrows for this exact reason. I am also obsessive about a million other things…formatting pictures (blog), cleaning my kitchen, dusting (every nook and cranny), folding laundry…I guess its just in my personality to obsess. Maybe someday I will relax…;-)

20. welshsarah says:

Nooooo, more balls/babies I’m going to have to try! I’m getting seriously addicted to these things. My husband is worrying that my tastes are getting too weird. I made a lemon-vanilla version of them (from Ani Phyo’s book), my father-in-law tried one, spat it straight out and took a swig of wine from the bottle to get rid of the taste! For the record, he’s a christian minister/speaker so isn’t really a slave to the tipple. That’s ok though, I’ve got enough balls/babies love for me, hubby and father-in-law.

21. seekmyself says:

I’m sold on anything with coffee in it, so I’m definitely trying this variation the next time I made this stuff… Thanks Katie :)

22. Oh Katie look what you’ve went and done! Tiramisu???
    I’ve had Tiramisu on my mind since Sat. night when we took my son out for Italian food on his birthday. One of Italian family members who runs the restaurant came out and shared how she makes the tiramisu, with her strong italian accent, and it sounded divine!!! Since it wasn’t vegan we at least were able to enjoy a chocolate gelato sorbeto.

23. Kate says:

tiramisu! yay!

now i am just waiting for the butterfingers babies and perhaps my life shall be complete :)

24. Quix says:

Oooh I love tiramasu! These sound GREAT! I had an ex-coworker that was totally meticulous about every little thing and he could never get anything done on time. My little obsessive thing? My clothes need to be put away neatly in the closet by season, by type, and by color. However, the rest of the house can be a disaster and it doesn’t bother me.

25. plamarie says:

I never gave much thought to using a food scale. Your recipes are a reason enough. Then yesterday I was eating some frozen, packaged eggplant and the serving size was in oz. Makes since, they are all different sizes. As I am watching my calories. I thought huh, one more reason I need a scale. Then seeing the tiramisu babies. Done, I am adding it to the list. 😉

26. Serena says:

I have to try these! I used to love tiramisu before I became vegan again.

Also, as a lighter alternative to the banana hammocks, I just sliced a banana and poured chilled Eden Organic Apple Sauce on them (specifically try this sauce because it is more tart than other apple sauces I’ve tried which contrasts really nicely with a very ripe banana)

27. Chef Aimee says:

I love dates – yummy! What a great ingredient to add!
    As for the question, does my last relationship count? 😉 LOL

28. Hi there Miss Katie, thanks for the shout, and as usual, the eats look amazing. And for me, it’s the 2nd time seeing the Tira Balls, and they look just as good this time :)
    As do the pancakes!!

29. Lindsay says:

Katie, you’re the most impressive baby-maker I’ve ever met (I’m sure you’re gotten that one already, but I had to go there lol. I’m sure you understand).
    Tiramisu babies sound aweeeesooommmeeee!

30. Stef @ moretolifethanlettuce says:

lol i am an eyebrow fiend as well…there’s always that ONE little hair! those tiramisu balls are brilliant, love the hoco variety :)

31. Danielle says:

Haha I’m almost embaressed to admit that I don’t pluck my eyebrows
    Your fudge babies look fantastic! As usual :)

32. Ashlei says:

“Add a splash of rum” reminded me of Pirates of the Caribbean and Johnny Depp, “But why is the rum gone??”

I get obsessed over silly little things like that too! Haha, I wondered if others did. That solves that mystery. Sometimes I feel like I’ll be doing something for 30 minutes or more and not have anything to show for.

I’m sure you eyebrows look awesome though, girl!

33. UGH! The curse of the rouge eyebrow hair! Killer!

34. Jess says:

This is my favorite recipe yet I think!! I LOVE tiramisu!!
    You should totally work for larabar 😀

<3 jess

35. Trail says:

I have the same issue with tweezing. And when the pics don’t line up right on the blog, I can’t stop until I get it fixed. And if I’m researching something, I really want to complete it before I put it down.

The tiramisu babies look amazing, btw!

36. You are such a genius, those sound fantastic. As do the pancakes…..mmmm….you never fail to make me so hungry!

37. samialyssa31 says:

tiramasu fudge babies?! you’re my hero!!! :)

38. coulditbeseitan says:

I want you to come make me breakfast and snacks every day!!!!

39. Jo says:

The first thing I would make in a vitamix would be a real Kale SMOOTHie (I have a very dull-bladed regular blender and it leaves nasty chunks unless I use spinach, and frankly, I want some kale!), and some nut milk! Oh to have smooth smoothies and nut milk without using a coffee grinder to make nut-paste first. :) Ooh, and to have smooth dates.

40. Tony says:

Tiramasu fudge babies!I’ve never considered eating babies before until now!lol I’m having a dinner party for vegans and non-vegans and have found a Tiramisu Recipe with Tia Maria, Kahlua and Amaretto (for the non-vegans). You too have suggested a splash of rum but how much would you recommend? Is there ever an amount that is too much…. 😉

41. Tony,
    Eat babies for breakfast hehe ;).
    I actually haven’t tried the Tiramisu babies with rum, sadly enough. In fact, I’m embarrassed to say I forgot about this fudge baby flavor until I saw your comment! I’m going to have to make some more :).

42. Andrea P says:

I would love to see a tiramisu Larabar!