Raw Tiramisu Balls

Or Tiramisu Larabars… Larabar Company, can I have a job yet? Pretty please, with cacao nibs on top?

Presenting the newest member of the Fudge Baby clan:

Completely raw. Completely vegan. Completely incredible.

tir

Tiramisu Babies

(Makes about 3 Larabar-sized bars)

• 90 grams dates, which is about 1/2 c (as usual, see this post if you’re unsure as to what type of dates to use)
  • 30 grams cashews
  • 20 grams macadamia butter (a bit more than a tablespoon) (If you don’t have macadamia butter: you can probably use the real nuts. Or see version 2.)
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp instant coffee powder, or a bit less (depending on how much of a coffee flavor you want)
  • 2-3 tiny drops almond extract (watch out; this stuff is strong!)
  • 1 tsp cocoa powder, or a bit more (I use Hershey’s Special Dark)

Blend all the ingredients in your food processor (I use the Magic Bullet short cup).  Form into bars, balls, or cookie-cuttered shapes.  (If the dough is too soft, fridge or freeze before shaping.)  EDIT: Some of the specific ingredients I used are not 100% raw.  Feel free to sub your favorite raw cacoa powder and coffee substitute for a 100%-raw treat.

Version 2:

Use the recipe for Hot Chocolate fudge babies, cutting the amount of cocoa in half.  Then add the extracts and coffee powder from the above recipe.

znyc 594

These taste AMAZING straight out of the freezer.

Optional ideas:
1. Add a splash of rum
2. Add melted chocolate
3. Form into bars and spread Raw Cheesecake on the tops
Or… use this as the crust, fill with the raw cheesecake mousse , and you have a super-simple raw & vegan Tiramisu Pie!

1. Oh my gosh Katie, you are my long lost soul sista. I am a total plucking addict. Keep tweezers everywhere! That girl who is sitting there stopped even though the light turned green is ME plucking my eyebrows in the car. I swear, car sunlight is the best for plucking!

You post a good looking pancake recipe, and I am on it!

Love coffee flavored anything, and therefore lovin your latest babies. 🙂

2. Leah says:

Haha you had me cracking up with the eyebrow tweezing!!
    i can get kind of obsessive with note taking, making sure everything is written perfectly etc…and then most of the time I hardly use the notes later! such a waste of time…
    also, those tiramisu balls look incredible! too bad i just ate the last dates yesterday!! i need to restock so i can make these!

3. Tiramisu is my most favorite dessert!!! I love coffee flavor, but not coffee. I actually never tweezed my eyebrows! My mom scared me about it when I was little. I do wax my own tho. 🙂

4. lexi. says:

Yes for tiramisu babies! Love the idea.

Yes, I get really tedious when it comes to searching for things on the internet or organizing files on my computer! i waste way too much time!

5. Heather says:

Awesome creation! I bought instant espresso powder at Williams Sonoma & I love to use it in baking (or in this case, NON-baking). I might have to try these!

I’m also crazy about my eyebrows & fingernail grooming 🙂

6. Jessica says:

Yay, another variation for me to try! It’s funny, yesterday I was just thinking about making a new batch…

I get really obsessive about whatever book I happen to be reading – to the point where I’ll read for hours and lose track of time.

7. hahaha that eyebrow obsession totally gets me everytime, too! that one dang hair! i try and try and try, but all i seem to do is dig a small hole in my skin =X oops! the tiramisu fudgebabies look incredible, as all of your little babies do 🙂

8. Jenny says:

girrrrl If I didn’t have a caffeine addiction before, now I definitely will. What are you doing to meeeeee?!!?

9. erintakescontrol says:

OMG those babies sound fantastic! Will definitely try – that’s recipe #2 from the blogosphere where I need to buy almond extract to make it! Must go to store…

I’m so OCD at times and there are certain things that must be done in order for me to feel okay, even though they are tiny things that have no purpose other than to reassure me. Ridiculous! I’m better than I was years ago, but a few things still lurk in my brain that I just can’t get over…

10. maggie says:

Finally!!! I’ve secretly been waiting for you to make some type of play off desserts in fudge baby form! My favorite dessert…..now I will die complete 🙂

Maggie

11. You mean you haven’t received your six-figure salary offer for flavor creation in the mail yet?

12. Chrysta says:

ahha you are too funny girl! I love your babies! Cannot wait to make these tiramsu ones. So awesome! You are ssoo creative. I’ll tell ya, Larabars better hire you. Or better yet, start your own baby company! You know id be a customer for life=)
    Love the oatmeal cookie breakfast. I gotta try those sometimes. Have a great day hon!!! xoxo

13. Tiffany S. says:

I had a big fight with WordPress over the weekend – I finally deleted (after copying my post into Word) and started over. Chris looked at the HTML and it was a mess so better to start fresh. It drives me NUTS when something works fine and then just doesn’t (but then again I work with Microsoft so I’m kinda used to it).

Be careful with over-plucking. Do I have to sing you my sad eyebrow woes again?

14. Nora says:

great idea, katie!

15. Katie says:

Genius…as always! I can’t wait to try the latest babe.

I have been known to overpluck my eyebrows for this exact reason. I am also obsessive about a million other things…formatting pictures (blog), cleaning my kitchen, dusting (every nook and cranny), folding laundry…I guess its just in my personality to obsess. Maybe someday I will relax…;-)

16. welshsarah says:

Nooooo, more balls/babies I’m going to have to try! I’m getting seriously addicted to these things. My husband is worrying that my tastes are getting too weird. I made a lemon-vanilla version of them (from Ani Phyo’s book), my father-in-law tried one, spat it straight out and took a swig of wine from the bottle to get rid of the taste! For the record, he’s a christian minister/speaker so isn’t really a slave to the tipple. That’s ok though, I’ve got enough balls/babies love for me, hubby and father-in-law.

17. seekmyself says:

I’m sold on anything with coffee in it, so I’m definitely trying this variation the next time I made this stuff… Thanks Katie 🙂

18. Oh Katie look what you’ve went and done! Tiramisu???
    I’ve had Tiramisu on my mind since Sat. night when we took my son out for Italian food on his birthday. One of Italian family members who runs the restaurant came out and shared how she makes the tiramisu, with her strong italian accent, and it sounded divine!!! Since it wasn’t vegan we at least were able to enjoy a chocolate gelato sorbeto.

19. Quix says:

Oooh I love tiramasu! These sound GREAT! I had an ex-coworker that was totally meticulous about every little thing and he could never get anything done on time. My little obsessive thing? My clothes need to be put away neatly in the closet by season, by type, and by color. However, the rest of the house can be a disaster and it doesn’t bother me.

20. Cindy says:

mmmmmmmmm tiramisu. gotta try that!

now that I am done with low gi week I might just have to treat myself to some AND pancakes!

YUM