Going for Olympic Gold

When I watched the Olympics, as a little girl, I liked to pretend that I, too, was an Olympic athlete competing for gold.

By summer, I was a gymnast, a diver, a swimmer.  And by winter, I was—of course—an ice skater.  My sister and I had all three Olympic Gymnast Barbies (the blonde, the brunette, and the African-American), as well as the Olympic Stacies (whose costumes looked more like pajamas).  And we’d judge each other on jumps, flips, and spins in our pool until my mom would drag us out by our raisiny fingers.

Did you ever dream of being Olympians?

Did you want to be Keri Strugg, with her incredible one-footed landing? Dominique Moceanu, with her energetic floor routine? Mia Hamm and the rest of the unstoppable US soccer team? Or Michelle Kwan, Kristi Yamaguchi, Tara Lipinski…

Question of the Day:

Who are your Olympic idols?  And did you ever dream of competing in a certain Olympic sport?

1. Megan says:

Kara Goucher is definitely my olympic idol. She is so tough and has been through so much.

I would do the marathon (if not that, then a shorter running event). Call me crazy, but I love running!

2. I always LOVED Bonnie Blair and Kristi Yamaguchi….and of course Greg Louganis 🙂

3. molly says:

I’m obsessed with hockey too!
    I actually train with some girls who ran track in the last Olympics – would love to get there!

4. I was a dancer AND a gymnast, and I wanted to be an Olympian so badly!! I also really wanted to play hockey when I was little – my bro did and still plays, and there was a girl goalie on his team. I wanted to play so badly!

5. I always loved watching gymnastics, but knew I was too tall to ever be a gymnast. Maybe subconsciously that’s why I started running? 🙂 I remember watching Suzy Favor Hamilton and wishing I could run the 1500m that fast!

6. I’ve always loved watching the Olympics, but I never wanted to compete in them! I think I knew I’d be too nervous to compete with the whole WORLD watching!! Scary!! 😉

7. Katie says:

I was a Keri Strugg lover for sure, but for winter olymics, it was Nancy Kerrigan…she lived by my house and I used to stalk her. Creepy, I know. 🙂

8. CaSaundra says:

Wish I had some of that coconut butter for the carrot cake I am making today–darn!

9. Jessica says:

I wanted to be an ice skater, for sure! Sadly, my mom never let me skate because she was terrified that I’d hurt myself (alright, the cat’s out of the bag…I am a bit of a klutz!) I finally went for the first time two years ago! 🙂

I got a jar of the regular (plain) Artisana last week and can’t wait to try it on your 24-carrot cupcakes! It’s snowy and miserable here today, but baking would certainly cheer me up!!

10. Ashlei says:

Michelle Kwan will always be my favorite figure skater. Too bad Olympic Gold was the one medal to allude her!

11. Run Sarah says:

I loved all of the swimmers growing up and I dreamed of one day competing!

12. molly b says:

We definitely should have hung out as kids… my sister and I spent our entire summer on the trampoline and in the pool doing performances for my mom! I look back at it now and feel sorry for my poor mom who spent hours watching our Olympic routines!

13. I loved watching figure skating too! I think my favorite Olypmian of all time was Donavon Bailey- he was the fastest man in the world for about 8months- and was Canadian- it was a score

14. Michal says:

Oh my gosh I had those same barbies! My favorite was Staci and she had on this pink leotard and you could make her do the bars. 🙂 WOW! I played with her a lot. When I was younger it was always gymnastics and I love shannon miller.

15. Adam says:

I was all about Michael Johnson when i was younger… I loved watching the track events and couldn’t wait for the Winter Olympics for the past few years either 🙂 Great looking veggies!

16. haha you are so cute in that pic! sucha goof. i was a gymnast for manyyyy years so naturally i wanted to be one of the Mag 7 :). amy chow is from my area so i got to meet her a few times at meets, remember teh black eye she got? badass! i didn’t really grow out of my olympic fever, when i started swimming and water polo in high school i was equally obsessed. never too old, i say!

17. erintakescontrol says:

I had a talent-crush on Kristi Yamaguchi. She was incredibly graceful and had a smooth flow to her skating that I will never forget. I also really liked Nancy Kerrigan – I remember being fascinated when they would show her mother (legally blind) with her nose to the screen so she could watch her daughter skate. Summer olympics, other than synchronized swimming, isn’t really my cup of tea. I’m totally a winter girl!

18. I always loved watching gymnastics in the summer olympics and ice skating pairs in the winter! I loved the ice skating outfits!

After watching Cool Runnings I’ve loved the bobsled competitions “feel the rhythm, feel the rhyme, it’s bobsled time!!”

My idol now would be Kara Goucher, I would love to run like her! I tried gymnastics but unfortunately it wasn’t my cup of tea– running is though!!

Btw–> that mashed kabocha looks AMAZING, I think I’m going to have to try making some!

19. Mama Pea says:

I wanted to be an Olympic gymnast so badly when I was little. Unfortunately I was so tall and uncoordinated it never was going to happen. Then there was that whole falling off the balance beam constantly thing. Oh well.

20. Those peaches look awesome! It has been way too long since I’ve snacked on fresh peaches.

And yes, of course, I dreamed of being an Olympian! Specifically, an Olympic Show Jumper, or maybe 3 day eventer. Hmmm….maybe I’ll talk to Ender and if he can get over being a spazz maybe we’re still in the running!