Carrot Cake Sandwich

What are your favorite portable meals?

Sandwiches are one example of an easy and portable meal component, because they’re not too messy, and they don’t need to stay cold. But one can only eat so many plain-jane peanut butter sandwiches before it gets old. (Oh forget that; I could eat pb sandwiches every day for the next hundred years and not get sick of them.) One day last week, for the sake of variety—and because experimentation is so much fun—I strayed from the pb-sandwich road, with this:

carrot cake sandwich

Carrot Cake Sandwich

• Shredded carrot
  • Raisins
  • Crushed walnuts
  • Cinnamon
  • Cream cheese, such as Tofutti OR coconut butter or Cheesecake Mousse
  • sweetener of choice, if desired

Close it all up in a whole wheat pita and you’re good to go.

carrot sandwich

whole wheat pita sandwich

Tags: ,

1. jcd says:

Oh, that sandwish looks great! My favourite on-the-go meals are almost-instant rolled oats with dates and nuts (just add boiling water) or a big bowl of homemade museli.

Sorry to hear of your e-mail woes. We had similsr issues at work recently and I know how frustrating it can be. Although, when it was all fixed I received 32 ‘lost’ e-mails from my husband that made me smile. 🙂 I hope your new e-mail address will work better for you.

2. I love fruit and nutbutters! Those are my favorite, or homemade bars. Occasionally a good train mix works, too. 🙂

3. That looks so good! I’ll admit it, bars are my fav. And apples. I usually keep them both in my purse 😉

4. Jenny says:

For on the go, definetly bars– I Love lunas and clifs!

5. Jessica says:

OMG I know what I’m having for lunch today!!!

6. Mary says:

I always carry nuts in my purse. And these crunchy granola bars with oats that my mom calls “horse food” 🙂

7. abby says:

oh katie, you are so pretty! 🙂 and talented! come be my personal chef? i NEED that sandwich in my life!

8. I rock a PB&J a lot. It’s such a low maintenance and filling lunch. I keep a box of Larabars in my desk at work for easy snack. They help me stay out of the vending machines! And jars full of nuts and dried fruit are good too.

9. Katie says:

Delicious! Def. going to try this!

10. Katie says:

Katie this looks so good!!!!!! Yum!!!!!!!!! I hope you are well beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! xoxoxo Are you going to be doing some easter inspired recipes!!!!!!!!??

11. Valerie says:

You had me at the money shot!

12. elizabeth says:

that looks delicious!! i’ve never thought of making a carrot cake-ish sandwich and I love it!!

13. Aimee says:

Oh dear, Katie, something tells me you still wouldn’t have fit in with carrot cake pizza ;). Better to stand out, though!

14. vegangal says:

katie you are so gorgeous! i already told you that a lot of times but i have to say it again in case you forget :). and your sammich yum yum! well all your food really.

15. Justine says:

I try to keep some vegetables already roasted/cooked/chopped/what have you so that I can throw together a salad if need be.

Chia pudding seems strange to me still, but I’ll try (almost) anything at least once, so who knows?

16. That looks so good! I’m always shy about taking my own food into places, but I guess people with allergies would have to do it?

You might want to change your email on your About page also, I know that’s where I always go to look for them. 🙂

17. OMG!! Carrot Cake Sandwich…yes please! YUM!

18. Inspired says:

I have to say, usually I’m content to drag along my handy pb&j. But after reading this post, I might have to deviate from my routine. Things like this are why I read your blog!

19. Keri,
    Thanks! I didn’t even think of that!
    And lol if you ever go to Cici’s, you’ll understand why I don’t feel weird bringing my own food. Pretty much anything goes in that restaurant. Kids running around, there’s an arcade, no waiters (so no one wondering why you’re not eating off the menu, etc). It’s definitely not gourmet hehe.

20. vegangal,