Have You Ever Done A Fast?

What’s the longest amount of time you’ve gone without food?

Aside from a few “required-to-fast” doctor appointments, I don’t think I’ve ever even skipped a meal. I never understood how some of my friends could concentrate in school without having eaten breakfast.  And the kids who did those 30-hour Famines were so inspirational… but I never wanted to do it.

y

Have you heard about the yogi in India who says he hasn’t eaten for 70 years?

What do you make of the story? At first, I thought it was ridiculous and most-definitely not true.  But apparently, they’ve gotten doctors to watch him 24/7; so now I don’t know what to think!  It seems impossible, and yet, how can he be pulling the wool over the eyes of an entire team of doctors? (Unless they’re all in collusion…)

In any case, just imagine how many yummy things this guy has missed out on eating if his claim really is true!

Questions of the Day:

What’s the longest you’ve ever gone without food? What are your thoughts on the yogi story? And if you could go without food for the rest of your life, would you?

It’d be cheaper, and one would have more time to spend on other things (no grocery shopping, nor time allotted for meals).  But I’d never want to do it!  For me, food is not simply fuel: it’s something that gives so much enjoyment; something that can be shared with others.  Delicious recipes, comforting memories, bonding over the table, all of this would be lost if we had no need to eat.  But I know that many others subscribe to the notion of “eat to live” so I’d love to hear other opinions.

1. Katie says:

Katie! OH my gosh, THANK YOU for featuring me the other day! I know I’m late in thanking you, but it meant SO much to me. Even just that tiny little “shout out” from you sent my page views from like 5 to like 5 BAZILLION! :) Thank you again for making me feel famous and giving me the thrill of a lifetime with just one tiny mention!

2. Valerie says:

I saw that story yesterday on the MSN homepage and I must say, I can’t believe it. There MUST be something else going on. I’m also wondering why it just came to light now if it’s been going on for 70 years.

P.S. Thanks for the shout-out :). I hope the tortilla trick works for you!

3. Cara says:

I fast once a year on Yom Kippur (the Jewish day of atonement) and that’s enough for me!

4. Sarahishealthy says:

I could never do it! Like you, I ate breakfast every day throughout high school. And I was STILL hungry by lunch!

5. abby says:

i am an eater, katie! i agree that food should be more than fuel. i’ve come through some very disordered eating, but now i am finally learning to enjoy my food, not fear it :).

6. Living without food sounds like a life I wouldn´t want to live.

I have done short term prayer fasts, but nothing long term.I don´t know if I could do it!

7. Rosie says:

ick, the longest I’ve gone without eating on purpose was a 12+ hour thing I had to do for a surgery! i sooo much love food more than that <3 (too much, actually–haha!)

i wonder if that yogi thing is true… i don't think it makes any sense. unless he's evolved to do photosynthesis or something! :O but then he would still need a nitrogen source so maybe he has roots. 😀

8. Anonymous says:

I agree with Abby, above. At the time of my ED, if you’d told me I could just take a pill and get it over with and not have to worry about calories, etc, I would’ve done it. I was so scared of food. Sounds silly, huh? Now I realize that food is a way to share good times with friends, grandparents, family, etc. I’m so glad that ED chapter of my life is over and I can enjoy my food now!

9. Rosie,
    Maybe he’s not real!
    Hmmm…
    has anyone ever seen “Stepford Wives”?

10. the longest i went was 2 days… lol but i was 15 and a yoyo dieter. not healthy! im not a believer in the story only cuz they can say there are ppl watching him but hmm yea 70 years? so basically he’s breatharian? hmmmm.. lol. but can i just say how much fun it was to read this post today! hehe totally livened it up. actually ur posts are always fun! thats why im here every morning! lol xoxo

11. Effie says:

The longest I ve gone without food during the day is 3 hours. I could never fast!

This yogi does not seem very healthy though:)

12. See Kelsey, once again, SWEETEST comments ever :)

13. Kara says:

Yes, Katie, I think you have something there with the “Stepford Wives” thing! He could be a robot. Hey, stranger things have happened!

14. Mary says:

Yeah, I think they’re in collusion (btw, love that you used that word!). It sounds like a good way to get publicity.

15. Beth says:

I can never imagine giving up food for good! For me its definitely fuel but food it love and food is fun and so much more than just fuel. I don’t really know what to make fo the guy who hasn’t eaten in 70 years… kinda freaks me out!

16. eatandrun says:

He needs a grandma who makes him cookies with love! :(

17. Inspired says:

Although I am not a “foodie” I do enjoy my meals, and I can’t imagine a life without candlelight dinners, Christmas cookies, or hot oatmeal breakfasts.

18. vegangal says:

hi katie happy wendsday and oh my gosh i liked reading this post so interesting and strange too. i do not think i believe that this man really doesnt eat for so long he would be dead but i think maybe he just doesnt eat very much or drink too. xoxoxo

19. Jenny says:

I was one of those kids who did the 30- hour fasts for charity, but never after that!

20. Jess says:

I was a breakfast skipper, way back when. I also did the sleep til noon thing. But now, I pretty much eat like clockwork. I find that it gives me much more energy.