NYC never Sleeps

I think last night was the worst night of sleep I’ve ever gotten in my life. Even though I climbed into bed at 10ish, I didn’t fall asleep until midnight… and I woke up at 1:45, wide awake! At around 3, I gave up and grabbed a book to read, hoping it would make me sleepy.

Didn’t work.

Finally, I got out of bed and went for an early-morning run in the dark. The weird thing is that I didn’t feel lethargic or sluggish AT ALL. I kept waiting to crash and burn, but my run was energy-filled, and the adrenaline kept me going for the rest of the day as well. Plus, I got to hang with my Saved by the Bell friends while I made my second breakfast! (I’d turned on the tv to see if there was a World Cup game.)

chocbreak

Above, a Manila mango, a glass of almondmilk, and Chocolate Cream Pie Bulgur Pudding

chocbreakfast

I have an overwhelming fear of flying. It’s ridiculous, especially considering the number of airplanes I’ve been on in my life (starting at 6 weeks old). The reason for my sleepless night, last night, was that I was wide-awake thinking about tonight’s flight to New York. Normally, I’m wary of taking any sort of medicine (I very rarely even take Tylenol), but before I fly, if I don’t take 1/2 an Ativan, I’ll have what I can only imagine is a panic attack (heart racing, nausea, light-headedness, etc.).

Ah, but the ends justify the means… I’m going to New York!

1. Oh I feel for you – your nights’ sleep sounds like mine most nights! It’s very frustrating :/ I hope you get a better one tonight!
    Your breakfast looks incredible :O

2. Janna says:

I can never sleep the night before a flight. I have a HUGE fear of flying!

But yay you’re coming here!!! What are your NYC plans??

1. Janna,
      I’m not sure yet LOL. Right now, we’re going to Long Island, but NYC is going to happen sometime… maybe in July… I’ll definitely keep the blogworld posted, because I want to meet everyone lucky enough to live there!!

3. I have an intense fear of flying!! It’s my only real “fear”, but it’s major. I even panic a little when planes fly over my house (loudly). No, I don’t think they’re going to crash into me, it’s just an irrational and intense fear of airplanes.

4. Jenny says:

Are you going to Cocoa V? 🙂 (BTW, I don’t like to fly, either. I always get my “affairs in order,” beforehand, assuming I’m going to crash. BUT I keep flying, and I get used to it the more and more I do it.)

1. Jenny,
      What’s Cocoa V? Sounds fun (maybe because “Cocoa” is in the name hehe?)

5. Jennifer says:

I hate flying too! Especially take-off and landing. I just got back from the Bahamas, and the flight between the Bahamas to FL was in a 19-seater. 19 seats! It was so tiny and falling apart and I was so close to the pilot (no door to the cockpit by the way) that I could have spit on him. It was scary but fortunately only a 45 minute flight, though of course that was followed by a grown-up flight back to NJ so it sucked either way….

Have fun in NY!

1. Jennifer,
      19 seats?! Ok, you’re brave! When we were in The Philippines, we had a chance to go to a “special” beach… but it was in a 6-seater. My mom and I stayed in Manila and let my dad and sister go!

6. abby says:

i take something too! it’s not ativan, i think it’s called xanax? or something… i haven’t flown in a while so i don’t remember. but i’m terrified of it! thanks for admitting you are too! it makes me feel less silly to know someone i look up to has the same fear as me! 🙂

7. Mae says:

Ohh I want to come visit you!!! How long are you staying? Either way that is so exciting. Have a safe flight and I hope you have an amazing time!

1. Mae,
      I think a little over a month… but we’ll be all around: Boston, NYC, Long Island… are you going to be any of those places this summer? It’d be great to meet up!!

8. jen says:

i don’t like flying either…i mean i do enjoy the excitement of travel but lately it makes me feel sick and if i have a panic attack a whole load of awful symptoms accompany it so i take a gravol and it sort of knocks me out since i’m not that big lol.

ive wanted to try other grains for breakfast like bulgar or something other than oats but i don’t know what to put in it! that looks yummy:)

have fun in new york!!! xoxoxox

9. Katie says:

Sorry this may sound unsympathetic, but I’m glad to know I’m not the only one! I have panic attacks months in advance when I know I am flying. I haven’t flown in 7 years, but sometimes when I think about flying somewhere someday I get panic attacks. Yeah, I’ m claustrophobic- when I lived on the 11th floor of an apartment building in the city, I took the stairs every time. No elevators for me. (I weighed 10 lbs less then too!)

1. Katie,
      It doesn’t sound unsympathetic; I’m the same way (in that I feel comforted knowing I’m not the only one with this irrational fear). 🙂

10. Jennifer - jcd says:

Have a great trip! I never sleep the night before a flight either, but that’s because I’m too excited to go wherever I am flying to. I understand your fear though, my mum is like you. Take it easy. Comfort food always helps.

11. Sarahishealthy says:

I’m another plane fearer :(. But I love going places, so it’s a trade off.

12. Ilana says:

Hey, look at it this way: I’m on the other side of that plane ride! Haha jk.

I think a lot of our generation have really deep fears of flying – the World Trade Center/Pentagon tragedy took place at a point in our lives that was a really definitive turning point for us because we were JUST developing our adult cognitive processes (I don’t know about you but it was my FIRST WEEK of high school). I get nervous flying too, even though I do it several times a year.

Have a safe flight!!!!!!!!

1. Ilana,
      I had to fly TWO WEEKS after that! 🙁

13. your chocolate breakfast just made my fruit breakfast a little sad! have fun in nyc!

14. eatandrun says:

Heck yeah, go USA!

15. Kat says:

yay for mangoes! I’ve been eating them so much lately 🙂
    and New York! I’m going in 3 weeks. One of my favorite cities ever! can’t wait to hit up the vintage stores 🙂 Have fun!

16. Kat says:

I’ve been loving mangoes lately!
    have fun in NYC! I’m going in 3 weeks! can’t wait! one of my favorite cities ever! hello vintage shopping and super fun shennanigans!

17. jenny says:

Cocoav.com…it’s vegan chocolate and wine. I don’t like wine, and I think it’s expensive. But I think they even have “cheese” plates. I think it sounds so fun. And one of the only vegan places in NYC I haven’t been to.

1. Jenny,
      Oh awesome, I’ll look it up for sure!

18. Danielle says:

Isn’t it peculiar how our bodies can contradict our minds? I’m always puzzled on the (rare) occasions when my body doesn’t seem to need sleep!
    Have an AWESOME vacation! Can’t wait to read your reports on NYC!

19. chef Dennis says:

sounds like you have some really great recipes! I am always interested in learning new things and Vegan food is really new to me, and more of my girls are going that way
    all the best