Vegan Black Forest ice cream

The Vita-Mix hugs a fruit

May I present:Vegan Black Forest ice cream, in honor of Hug a Fruit Month.

vmix

It’s a pretty similar recipe to my Chocolate-Strawberry Ice Cream.

Look, I made chocolate-cherry art:

vmix1

Black Forest Ice Cream

(Makes about 2 cups)

Ingredients:

• 8 grams (about 1 and 1/2 T) Hershey’s Special Dark (For most recipes, I use regular cocoa powder, as it has more antioxidants. But the Special Dark tastes much better in this recipe.)
  • 4 grams (about 1 T) Amazing Grass Super Chocolate powder (Or skip this and just add more  of the Special Dark cocoa)
  • scant 1/3 cup non-dairy milk (I use almond milk. If you don’t have a Vitamix, you may need to add more liquid for the mixture to blend.)
  • 2-6 ice cubes (I use 6)
  • 1 bag frozen cherries (or strawberries or other berries) (about 250 grams)
  • If you have a bigger sweet tooth than my non-existent one, feel free to add sweetener

To make it look like real ice cream, use the Ice Cream Trick.

Throw everything in the Vita-Mix and blend!

vmix2

Optional Ideas:

1. Either before or after blending, throw in some chocolate chips
  2. Sprinkle coconut shavings on top of the finished creation.
  3. Change up the fruit—use raspberries and you’ll be rewarded with a dessert reminiscent of those famous raspberry jelly truffles.
  4. Add some chopped, frozen banana pieces (or just sub banana for the berries… and you can add some peanut butter too)
  5. Use chocolate syrup instead of cocoa powder
  6. For an even more decadent ice cream, use melted chocolate chips in place of the cocoa powder.

Thank you mucho, Vita-Mix Ice Cream Trick.

Tags: , , , ,

1. Wow I read some of the comment on yesterday’s post and .. Wow .. Definitely gonna bookmark it 🙂

2. My Vita-Mix loves frozen peaches, strawberries, and bananas! 🙂

3. Leslie says:

I agree with Marilou. I just went back and looked through the comments, and gosh I am inspired by peoples’ attitudes. I think it might just inspire me to take up yoga or something else where I can be part of a group. Heck, maybe I’ll even start a blog!

4. Leslie says:

Oh, and to answer your question of the day, my blender LOVES fruit! Especially green monsters :). Friendly green monsters, of course.

5. Katharina says:

Oh my gosh! Forwarding this recipe to my mom!!! We’ve been frequenting this German restaurant to watch the World Cup games and their black forest cake is something we have to order everytime. Now black forest ICE CREAM?! This is perfect for the hot weather 😀

XOXO keep those recipes coming Miss Thang!

6. :O
    I want that ice cream! Good gracious it looks sinful and delicious 😀
    My blender reguarlyhugged frozen bananas, pears and strawberries – before it gave up the fight for life, and can hug no more 🙁

7. Sarahishealthy says:

My blender eats bananas for breakfast. But it wouldn’t say no to some of that ice cream!

8. Jess says:

That looks so sinful! Frozen cherries are amazing!

9. Meg says:

KATIE! That looks amazing, I love black forest ice cream 😀

10. Mmmm–cherries and chocolate–two of my favorite things 🙂 Must try!

11. Yum! I made ice cream this weekend too! Rocky Road with little vegan marshmallows and walnuts! But yours sounds even healthier with the addition of the Amazing Grass. Love. that. stuff.

12. Wow, Katie! This recipe looks amazing. Chocolate and cherries are one of the best combos.

13. *Andrea* says:

bookmarked!

this icecream looks soooooooooo good! i love how it’s not processed with weird chemicals like many icecreams on the shelves at stores but it’s homemade deliciousness

14. I seriously need to buy a VitaMix. My poor blender hates me and my protein-ice-cream lovin’ ways. Any thoughts on how to purchase one that doesn’t require selling one of my kidneys to be able to afford it??

1. nourishingnoshes,
      I *think* they’re usually like $700 but Costco sometimes has them on sale for “only” like $200 or $300. Or maybe punch into google: “Vita-Mixes on sale”?? I totally understand about the protein ice cream thing. I tried to make it in my magic bullet, and it turned into icy mush!

15. I soooo wish I could dig into a big bowl of your chocolate cherry ice cream right now! That’s one of my fav combos. 🙂

16. VEGirl says:

Oh OH I have a HUGE bowl of cherries in the fridge and I am SO making this! I’ll freeze some and… Oh wait, we can’t find the blade to our blender (it’s horrible). Maybe I’ll use a food processor…
    THANK THANK YOU YOU!!!!!!!
    🙂
    VEGirl

17. todayslady says:

I want this ice cream!!! And a vita mix too 🙂 Black forest anything is awesome!!!

18. Anonymous says:

i love how this looks! I usually just make mine with dark chocolate, frozen strawberries, ND-Milk and banana, but i will have to try this one
    P.S.: I think Spain sucks, i wish the Germans would have won
    P.P.S.:This may have something to do with me living in Berlin 😉

1. Anonymous,
      LOL well your team did much better than mine ;).

19. Lola says:

Yeah Go Spain!!!! I wanted mexico to win, obviously, but at least it was someone who speaks spanish 😛

20. Little Bookworm says:

That ice cream recipe sounds fantastic! 😀 I think I might try this soon!