Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Healthy Oatmeal Cookies!

Aaaaah, this new-found cool weather is glorious!

Yesterday I actually put on a long-sleeved shirt to go running in perfect running weather: 55 and sunny. I have to take advantage; there’s not much time between hot summers and crazy-unpredictable winters in Dallas. Remember my Blizzard post?

In the afternoon, two of my friends and I found ourselves sitting around with nothing to do. (Nothing to do? What about homework?? Ok, nothing we wanted to do.) How to remedy this situation? Answer: Bake cookies!

Above, a plate full o’ cookies with a glass of homemade Cashew Milk.

P.S. I added the silly ribbon in the first photo ‘cause I wanted a little somethin-somethin but just could not subject y’all to more of the fake flowers! Then that annoying white shadow had to go and rain on my photo-taking parade. Boo. Well, at least the cookies look good, which is all that matters. Even more important: the cookies tasted good. That’s what really counts!

Above, my Oatmeal Crinkle Cookies.

1. Jennifer - jcd says:

Mmmm…. healthy yummy cookies!! We veganise and health-ify recipes all the time. We don’t like greasy and/or overly sweet foods, so cutting the sugar in half (or less), using whole wheat pastry flour instead of white, and using applesauce or nut butters instead of oil or margarine is very common here. Although, I did just make coconut buttercream icing for a cake and used coconut oil instead of shortening – it was incredible! Fold in some fancy shredded coconut and it was divine! (Over carrot cake made with garden fresh carrots – mmmmm.)

2. VEGirl says:

Yummy and pretty pictures! I have totally healthified recipes (in addition to gluten-free-anize, veganize, etc.). They are all on my website. Chocolate crinkles were always one of my faves, and I made kick-butt GF, vegan, low-fat, agave-sweetened one for Christmas last year, and everyone loved them. BUT I LOST THE RECIPE. AGGG!!!!

I am going to have to try recreating them this Christmas!

3. Marina says:

I always try to healthify when I’m cooking.
    Oatmeal cookies…gosh I need to make those!

4. Wow, those look goood. I always health-ify things when I can. The looks on my friends faces when I tell them there’s a zucchini in their cookies or a carrot or two in those pancakes 😉 I live for it.

5. Cecilia says:

thank you for this recipe. Question, are these cookies chewy, crunchy or cakey?? 😀

1. Chewy with the oil… definitely a bit more cake-y with the applesauce. Like muffin cookies!

6. Erica says:

This recipe looks awesome.

I have a bad habit of trying to healthify everything. There have been both good and utterly disastrous experiences with this. I remember one time I tried to make a healthy vegan version of chocolate chip “cookies” (note the quotation marks). I replaced all the flour for whole wheat, as well as the oil for applesauce, flax for egg, raisins for chocolate chips, etc. I ended up with what were henceforth dubbed as the “hippie cookie-scones”. They were super dense and utterly tasteless. On the bright side I certainly learned my lesson about having too much of a good thing. I’m thinking your recipe will turn out much much better.

7. Shelby says:

I always healthify my mom’s recipes! I’m also planning on doing something with an old family cookbook that was my great-grandmothers. Def. not vegan but I’m going to try!

8. Tanya says:

Can you describe how much stevia you used to replace the brown sugar? I really want to avoid refined sugars of any kind but i am unsure how to replace it with stevia without a major disaster! Thanks!

1. I’m always wary of giving sweetener recommendations, because I have such a non-existent sweet tooth that people always tell me things need more than the amount I’ve recommended. Also, we halved the recipe. But I used NuNaturals stevia, and according to the paper I have from them, 1/4 cup sugar is equal to 6 of their packets of stevia powder (3 tsp). We used less than that ratio, but like I said, my taste buds are strange. My friends all loved the cookies… but they might’ve liked them even more had they been sweeter. Sorry I can’t be more helpful than that!

9. tracey says:

I have the same question as tanya… how much stevia did you use?
    Thanks 🙂

10. Albizia says:

I like healthifying recipies. I don’t cook that much but when I do, I almost always reduce the amounts of oil, sugar, etc. Just because I like it 🙂 .

Oatmeal cookies are my weakness (and yours look perfect!) but I don’t think I can healthify them any more than they already are because before I start baking I go through a lot of recipes looking for the right one. Although I’m not vegan, I only make vegan ones because this way I avoid the risk of mega failure due to baking in an oven toaster. The art of cooking in a dorm room… 🙂

11. My favorite oatmeal cookies are actually just oats, mashed banana, and fruity mix-ins like dates and they’re surprisingly delicious and healthy.

I can’t stand to make recipes their original way, especially if it involves dumping half a cup of oil into something. I just can’t do it!

12. Justine says:

Those sound so good! I am wondering if you could make them with pumpkin for a bit of a fallish kick? 🙂

I made raw no-bake cookies a while ago that were pretty darn good if I do say so myself (and I do)!

1. Ooh your cookies look delicious! As does that hummus!

13. abby says:

these look so good! i’m making them for sure! and katie, i know you’ve said you’re working on taking better photos. well whatever it is you’re doing, i can see a huge difference. of course they were good before, but your photos really look awesome lately :).

14. Leslie says:

Ha! I love the ribbon. You’re right, it really adds something to the photo. But wait, there’s cookies there. Who needs to add anything? 😉
    Especially when they’re so healthy!

15. EmbraceYourSkin says:

These look so good!
    I’m glad it’s finally cooling off for you! This summer has been way too long and hot!

16. spoonfulofsugarfree says:

Mmmm! Yum Yum! I love oatmeal cookies 🙂

I basically health-ify everything I make for myself. I just love eating healthy foods, and I love the challenge of making them, too! Anyone can throw some sugar, butter, and flour into the oven and make a yummy treat, but it takes some work and creativity to make something that is healthy and tastes good! For example, I have a healthy fruit crisp and puppy chow recipe coming on my blog soon!

17. Little Bookworm says:

Those oatmeal cookies look great! 🙂 I just did a post about using some of your recipes – love them!

18. Kiki says:

Mmmm, cookies and milk! They look delicious, and the picture is pretty even without the ribbon 🙂

I healthify almost every recipe I make. I just can’t resist!

19. Caitlin says:

Yummy! I think you need a few more !!!!s in the title, though!
    🙂 🙂

20. Amalia says:

They look great. How much stevia did you put in? I am never sure how to sub stevia for sugar…

1. See my answer to Tanya, a few above.