Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Vegan Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins

Pumpkin chocolate chip muffins muffin for one! Yippee!

“One lil Pumpkin” Muffin

(covered in chocolate)

• 1 tbsp canned pumpkin
  • handful chocolate chips
  • pinch pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 3 tbsp flour
  • sweetener of choice
  • heaping 1/16th tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 tbsp water, nondairy milk, or oil (such as coconut), or a combination

Procedure: Follow the directions for a Single Lady Cupcake, subbing pumpkin for the applesauce and adding the chips and spice. Also, sub the oil for water or nondairy milk if desired.

How do you like them apples pumpkins?

Katie is the baker, photographer, and author of the popular blog Chocolate-Covered Katie. Her favorite food is chocolate, and she believes in eating a balanced diet that includes dessert every single day.Β More about Katie—>Β
Tags: ,

1. I’ve been looking for those 100% dark chocolate chips!!! Where did you find them?

When I was littl-er I was ALWAYS dressing up as a princess! I had the tiara and the Belle Dress from Beauty and the Beast. I dressed like an M&M one year (ironic!), and as little red riding hood…I loved my Little Red Riding Hood Costume! My wicker basket was a trick-or-treating bucket!

1. Oh Alex, you will LOVE them! I found them in the WF baking aisle (near the sugar, flour, etc).

2. I am LOVING that you are posting how to make a single cupcake. Sometimes that’s all you need or want.

boy, I’ve been everything as a kid. Little Orphan Annie, zombies, gosh I can’t even remember.

I love Halloweeen but live with bah humbuggers. so glad my son is that age now and we can have more fun with it!

my two year old is going to be a Pollen Jock (from the bee movie) I need to be a side kick some how!

1. Hehehe bah humbuggers… we got my dad a black Christmas hat that says “Humbug” :).

3. I love the single cupcake recipe- what a good idea! You always have such good ideas on here though!
    The luna bar sounds good too!

1. maike says:

Love those SINGLE LADYS! even though I do have a boyfriend..i especially like to still enjoy some treats on my own πŸ˜‰

4. Jennifer - jcd says:

Pumpkin and chocolate! And 100% chocolate chips! They look amazing!! Perfect for Hallowe’en. And my tummy.

This year I pulled out my old Scout uniform from when I was 17 and wore it to our Brownies Hallowe’en Party. I don’t think the girls really knew what I was, oh well. My most memorable costumes as a kid would be Rainbow Brite, a blue Crayola crayon (which I made myself and it won a prize), Splinter from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and Jadzia Dax from Star Trek Deep Space Nine.

I’m not really big into Hallowe’en. However, it’s my husband’s favourite holiday. One year he made a Ghostbusters costume that looked like he stepped off the silver screen. Another year he was som character from SAW movie with a bear trap on his head – super scary, i couldn’t even look at it! This year he is going as a plague doctor and I spnt 20+ hours sewing a proper late 19th century trench coat for him. He goes all out.

This is what his Ghostbusters costume looks like: and

1. LOLOLOL Jennifer, when this came in my email inbox, all that showed up at first was the photo and a message from wordpress telling me I needed to moderate the comment. So imagine: I see a scary photo of a military-type guy. I think: Oh MY WORD. Some creepy blog stalker is coming to get me.
      Then the rest of the message shows up! Cannot stop laughing!

1. Jennifer - jcd says:

Yep, he’s a creepy blog stalker alright. That’s why I married him. πŸ˜‰ That’s okay, he doesn’t know I’ve posted his picture here in the first place. Shhh… Hehe.

5. YES!!!!!

I will definitely be making this tonight :) You’re the best!

6. i love how it’s
    “3T flour
    handful of chocolate chips”

bahaha. of course. there’s practically more chocolate than flour in these babies. how delish!

this year i’m being… Waldo :p Yep, Where’s Waldo, that’s me, never mind the fact that I’m a girl.
    I’ll try to post pics on my blog.
    ps Loved all your past costumes. You are so awesome :)

1. Hehe everyone knows chocolate is the REASON for making recipes, right? Who cares about flour anyhow? πŸ˜‰

2. Jennifer - jcd says:

You can be Wenda, the girl in all the Waldo books!

1. oooh! yes! ok. i’m wenda πŸ˜€

7. Namaste Gurl says:

Oh my goodness, Luna’s making a chocolate- coconut version? Oh me- oh my! Although I don’t eat Luna bars very often, that’s definitely one I’ll try if I need a quick snack :)

8. Shelby says:

Bookmarked! Sounds so yummy!

My favorite would have to be when I was like 2 and I was a little ghost!

9. I’m not gonna lie, I totally love dressing up for Halloween! I probably won’t this year, because I have to work until late, but I’m definitely one of those people who will keep dressing up until they’re an old lady.

As a little kid I was usually a witch, lol, but I’ve gotten a little more creative over the years. Last year I was Smurfette and that was awesome, and the year before that I was Pippi Longstocking. I even used wire hangers to get my hair stick straight out like her! I always have a lot of fun going to thrift stores and creating a perfect costume.

P.S. I’m loving the single cupcakes! What a great idea!

1. Smurfette? LOL I looooved her when I was younger, because she was not just pretty, she was completely BLUE! Best color! :)

10. I love anything pumpkin, can’t get enough of the stuff!! This muffin looks great! :)

I don’t think I’ll be able to dress up this year as I’ll be traveling. Airport security might not find it funny..

1. Ah airport security… yeah, they don’t seem to have a sense of humor (rightly so, to a degree). But you might be able to get away with something. After all, have you seen what Lady Gaga wears to travel?! (If you haven’t, consider yourself lucky!)

11. Katie,
    This is so great – thanks so much for this recipe! I’ve been craving ice-cream like crazy, and I always want to crumble a little something on top, but I never want to make a whole batch of muffins or cookies. This is perfect! :)

12. Lori says:

you look so good with bangs! (15 yr old pumpkin carving pic)

1. Thanks lol… It took me forever to grow them out because I kept changing my mind and cutting them back! I loved my bangs and STILL miss them!

13. Kiersten says:

You can never have too many pumpkin posts! I looove pumpkin muffins but haven’t made any yet this year. I’m definitely going to get on that ASAP. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find anything fun to do for Halloween this year so I’m not dressing up. Can’t wait to see your costume creativity this year. You’re way more creative than I ever was.

14. I am going to keep an eye out for that Luna bar flavor!

I love dressing up for Halloween. Buuut I just got an acting job this weekend so I have to change my costume plans. I was going to be Machete (from the movie) but now I can’t do my fake tattoos!

15. Nichole says:

Very creative costume ideas! I think I am going as a “rabbit coming out of a top hat” hopefully it will be a fun time – dressing up always is for me! :)

1. Oh my gosh, talk about creative! Your idea is AWESOME!! Too cute!

16. Lorin says:

I still have yet to find the new larabars…like peanut butter chocolate chip cookie dough:/ Hopefully Luna will get it out to more people faster. Part of me is excited for this Halloween weekend, but I also can’t wait for it to be over. My roommate is leaving and i’m closest with her so I have a feeling it will be a little lonely, especially because I don’t party very much..unlike some people here or think the weekends start on a Wendesday night.

17. Marina says:

Again pumpkins :( I miss pumpkin so much! Specially with all those amazing recipes all the blogers are creating!
    I wish I would dress up with halloween, but this year, it’s not gonna happen :)
    But I did bought a cute head band with cat ears :)

1. Maybe try subbing sweet potato? πŸ˜•

18. Awesome! This would make a great breakfast!

19. have i told you you’re a genius yet? :)

20. Okay, just made it. Brilliant. I love you. :) Nuked in the micro for 90 seconds in a coffee mug greased with coconut oil. Too eager to wait 15 minutes for the oven-baked version. Served atop vanilla ice-cream. Perfect. :)

21. Gloria says:

I’m dressing up at Winnie the Pooh! The whole honey thing doesn’t go with my veganism, so I’ll just carry around a jug of maple syrup. Mmm :)

My WF does NOT have those 100% choc chips! Grrr, I must do some begging to customer service. Thanks for sharing the Luna bar. Love me some coconut and chocolate!

1. Vegan Winnie the Pooh?!? Too gosh-darn cute!

22. Quix says:

Love your costumes! I’m never one to shy away from dressing up either – I love to find excuses to dress up or dress silly and go out. This year I’m going as Cleopatra. :) Just a simple store costume which I NEVER do, but I’m so low on time this year, it works. Zliten is going as a pharoah. The muffin for one is awesome! I never like baking because I hate having lots of stuff around the house forever, but that works to fulfill a craving!

23. cbrady3 says:

YESS I have been looking for dessert recipes for one…pumpkin + chocolate is always a winner!

24. Erika says:

Oooh! I can’t wait to find the new Chocolate Coconut Luna bars! YUM! πŸ˜€

25. Your muffs look good! I can’t think of a fav costume from childhood but I was an indian a few years ago and I’m dying to wear the costume again!! Annnnd that new Luna flavah looks awesome!

26. I love Holly…she is a GREAT girl and friend! love her and love that you made these delish looking muffins!

I dressed up for a work party. And I am fully excited that my lil princess is going to be a…princess. her choice! For the 3rd year in a row :)

1. Your daughter knows what she truly is ;).
      She just wants to be true to herself!

27. Well, I’m off to make a pumpkin muffin now… :)

28. THESE LOOK DELISH! I’m in love with pumpkin but also a big sucker for sweet potato anything. And on the subject of sweet potatoes (btw i dont think this has anything to do with sweet potatos), I was wondering, how did you kick start your blog when you started it?

1. Hey girl,
      I’m not exactly sure what you mean by “kick start” lol.

1. Sorry about that, I meant, did you ever advertise to people you know or did you simply wait for your readers to come?

2. Oh lol I thought it was some kinda technology term hahaha! No, I didn’t tell ANY of my friends/family for a long time. But the #1 thing I did that I recommend to anyone who asks: comment comment comment on other sites! If you don’t comment on others’ sites, no one in the blogworld will know your site exists. true, I don’t really comment much on other sites anymore, but that’s because: 1. I don’t want to be unfair, and with so many people commenting on my site, I could never comment equally on all of theirs. And 2, I just don’t have time. But in the beginning, I commented a lot.

Oh, and it takes time to build a following. My first post got like 4 comments :). But I think all 4 of those ladies are still my friends to this day!

3. Thank you so much! I’ve just started a new blog and so far it’s been a fail. I will take your advice!

29. BroccoliHut says:

I plan on dressing up this year–Seth and I are running in a Halloween 5K:) Just haven’t figured out the costume yet…
    Some of my favorites from the past include: Lady Bug and Gentleman Bug (my friend and I dressed up together), Alvin (the chipmunk), and Super Woman.

30. *Andrea* says:

these look so incredibly delicious! i actually have all the ingredients too! definitely making some muffins soon :-) i love that it’s a 1-serving portion too b/c when i bake a dozen cookies/muffins/anything chocolate i can never stick to one portion πŸ˜‰

the coolest new product i saw the other day at Whole Foods was Justin’s peanut butter cups! from justin’s nut butter. looked good!

1. Holy cow!! Just went to their website to see. (Haha did you think I wouldn’t? πŸ˜‰
      Thanks for telling me, Andrea!

31. Brandie says:

I love the “Single Lady Cupcakes” Lol! I am a single lady – actually, a single Mommy! – so it’s definitely useful to have smaller portion recipes available! I find that I have a tendency to avoind cooking ‘real’ meals and recipes simply becuse I end p with tooo much food! My son is only 2, lol, he can’t help me eat a meal that cooks for, say, 4, right?? I am so going to try these, thank you!!

32. laurak says:

Hi Katie! I have been following your blog for a little while and just wanted to say thanks for all the delicious creations you share!
    I live in Australia, and unfortunately can’t seem to find canned pumpkin (or any sort of pumpkin puree) anywhere… I found chestnut puree, but it’s not exactly the same thing!
    Anyway, just wanted to say hello!
    :) Laura
    PS I’ve been told my the suppliers (I work part time in a health food shop), that Larabars are being discontinued in Australia!! This was quite a blow to me, so am very thankful for your and Angela’s recipes!

1. Hey Laura!
      Ugh about the Larabars :(. I used to live in China, so I remember how frustrating it always was to see such yummy things in the US I couldn’t have! But Australia… wow! I’ve always always wanted to go there. It just always looks so beautiful!

33. I’m a witch one year, devil the next, then a witch, then a devil……every year I say I’ll change it up but then I just can’t. Kind of like changing my breakfast. Sadly they don’t really celebrate Halloween in Australia :(

1. Haha well at least you rotate! My mom is a witch EVERY single year!

34. CHOCOLATE dipped COCONUT? OHHHHHHH! πŸ˜€ The last few years I’ve been dressing up with my kids, because they love when I do it! I was Daphne from scooby-doo one year (complete with orange wig), last year I was Little Red Riding Hood, and this year I am a psychedelic 60’s girl! Can’t WAIT! Halloween is my favorite holiday!!

35. kristisn says:

Those muffins look so good! I can’t wait to make them. And I can’t wait to find the new luna bars! Chocolate and coconut are my fav!

36. Sagojyou says:

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!?!?!? Luna bars in chocolate dipped coconut flavor?!?!? That’s nuts!!!! I’m really really excited to see it and try it!!!! I hope you do a review post on it!!!!!!! πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

37. Shruti says:

I tried this with banana instead of pumpkin, and added cocoa powder with some extra liquid (almond milk), along with some chopped walnuts. Turned out amazingly and now I can have cupcakes/muffins any time I want :)

38. Kathleen says:

I love how you make a single serving! Such a great idea!

39. Meagan says:

That’s my favorite unsweetened chocolate right there. It’s super hard to find though, so this summer my mom and I ordered like 15 bags from one website. It will last us a few years (hopefully) but by that time I fear they will have NONE left to order.

40. Christina says:

Just made one of these, so good, I added cranberry too. Can’t wait to try some of your other recipes.

1. Oooo I’m so excited you made it! :)

41. Sarah says:

This is my new favorite dessert! I made it today with dark chocolate chips and a bit of coconut sugar and it was wonderful.

I wanted to specifically thank you for all the single-serving recipes you post. It’s been too hot to use the oven all summer, so it was amazing to be able to microwave a muffin or a cookie, if only because I missed the texture. (I’m in Austin, by the way! We’re both victims of the Texas heat.)

1. Aww thanks, Sarah!

You’re in the better part of Texas, though! Austin is so much fun!!

Don’t worry… soon we’ll have that strange-o cold weather again, characteristic of TX. Remember last year’s snow storm? πŸ˜‰

42. Beth says:

I just made your chocolate chip pumpkin muffin. Wow! Amazing better than you could buy in any bakery. I made it low carb with carbquik flour. Thanks for your recipes and sharing them on Pinterest. Will be making more of your goodies!