Microwave Cookie Dough Muffins

I actually enjoy cold, rainy days.

They offer a good excuse to stay home and be lazy. (Unfortunately, they’re not so fun when you actually have to go out in the cold rain.) Yesterday was the epitome of a rainy day, which meant: laziness on the menu! Here’s how my laziness manifested itself:

microwave muffin

Above, a microwave muffin – a microwave version of a Single Lady Muffin.

I sprayed a little dish (you could use a coffee mug) with coconut oil spray, scooped in the batter for a Single Lady Cupcake (with chocolate pieces, natch), and microwaved for 90 seconds. Behold the yumminess:

muffin in the microwave

A note about the “lazy-girl” microwave version: If you’re using only applesauce, not oil, just keep in mind that the microwaved cake is a bit drier than the oven version. It’s still plenty yummy, though! Next up might have to be a savory version:

• Broccoli + nutritional yeast = Cheesy Broccoli Muffins
  • Nutritional yeast (or vegan cheese) + tomato sauce = Pizza Muffins!
  • Ooh or maybe even corn muffins? Microwave corn muffins in only 5 minutes?! Bring on the rain!

Do you ever have “lazy” days?

Y’know, days where you don’t even want to get outta your PJs? How do you motivate yourself (if you do!) on those days? And do you like rainy days? Are there any special activities (such as baking, reading, scrapbooking, etc.) that you like to do on rainy days?  Personally, I could do without cold rain. But I am a fan of warm rainy days. I even enjoy running in it.

You might recall I am gorgeous when wet. Of course, by gorgeous, I mean that Rachel’s hairless Sphinx cat and I could be twins (Friends-reference number 5,462 on this blog). Actually, even when I’m not wet, my hair doesn’t much like the rain. But I think frizzy hair on rainy days is probably a universal problem. 😕

Tags: , ,

1. Ugh I get total frizzy hair in the rain too!

LMAO at Rachel’s sphinx cat. I love that I get all of your Friends’ references. I swear everyone has seen that show!

Microwaved corn muffins sound great — I’d love to have one of those right now!

2. Jennifer - jcd says:

Oh no, you really are gorgeous when wet! And dry too!

We don’t have a microwave, so I won’t be able to try this recipe, even though it looks delicious. We may make a few in the toaster oven though. Yummy!

Rainy/blizzardy/icky days when I don’t have to go to work = lazy pyjama days. I am content lazing around in my pyjamas all day long watching movies, reading by the fireplace, and doing random little things around the house. Somehow, wearing pyjamas is motivating in itself; I get so much done on icky days.

1. Eh, no worries if you don’t have a microwave. Honestly, if you have a little time to be waiting around the kitchen, my favorite version of this muffin is in the oven, made with spelt flour… and coconut oil, of course ;).

3. Stefanie says:

Sundays are usually my lazy day. After a long week of school and cleaning the house, I need a day to just relax. Sometimes you just can’t fight the lazy day feeling. Rain is nice but only when I am home to watch it. Your muffins look great. 🙂

4. I love rainy days. ESPECIALLY when I can give my excuse to be lazy.

Hate to say it, but youre making me want rain. gah. i take that back… kind of. 😉

1. You can have our rain. Come take it, please!
      (Well, Texas probably needs the rain… but if you want the cold, you’re welcome to that!)

5. abby says:

katie! i have one of these in the microwave as i’m typing this! 🙂

1. abby says:

update: gah soooooooo good! i took your advice and made it with coconut oil, too. super yummy. thanks katie! i think i have a new favorite snack 🙂 🙂 :).

6. Kate says:

Ahahaha that cat was the ugliest thing ever! I love how she gave it to Gunther in the end. Please don’t ever stop with the Friends references. I miss that show! Nothing compares, ya know?
    P.S. I love anything that can be made in a microwave :).

7. I have a love-hate relationship with rainy days. Just like you, I love staying indoors when it’s pouring. I also find that running in the rain is exhilarating! The thing I hate the most, though, is going to school on a rainy day – So depressing!! Yuck!

1. Agreed! Cause you get there and you’re all wet and then you have to sit in class and freeze 🙁

8. Katie,
    So glad you enjoyed the microwave version – sometimes the best ideas come from being lazy. Your cupcake looks perfect, and I want it right now…with ice-cream! 🙂 I also can’t wait to try a pizza muffin – now that is genius!

I’m with you – I don’t mind a nice rainy day every so often, but I can do without the cold. It’s kind of dreary here in Nashville today. Would be a perfect day for a good book, a nap, and a pizza muffin! 🙂

9. Caitlin says:

Haha Katie, glad to see you’re still lovin on my chocolate ;).

10. She is a genius, isn’t she?! It is cold and rainy here today and that just makes me want to curl up in a ball and do nothing. I like warm rainy days too though. As for the hair, I won’t even bother today. Totally not worth the time! I hope it is a good day for you anyway!

1. Yup, I mean look at the evidence: protein ice cream? Genius. Microwave muffin? Genius. Oats in a jar? Genius. I could go on and on! hehehe

11. Gloria says:

Ugh I hate cold weather too. And especially cold restaurants… Why must they freeze us out serving ice water and setting the A/C to “arctic”?!

I love lazy, rainy days. Especially when I’m stuck in the office. I can just stare out the window and watch the rain fall in my comfy chair 🙂

1. Ugh, no kidding! Malls do that too. It’s like, “Really? You want me to buy your clothes, but you aren’t exactly providing an environment that will make people want to try things on! Isn’t that counter-productive?!”

1. I HATE air conditioning! With a passion! People in my office were turning it on all summer and bear in mind we’re in England, not Arizona and it wasn’t exactly a hot one, even for us!
        I’m actually wearing fewer layers to work now than I was in July… 🙂

12. Christin L. says:

Man, that melty goodness looks sooooo good! HEAB is the best!

13. Christin L. says:

Man, that melty goodness looks soooo good! HEAB knows where it’s at!! 🙂

14. VEGirl says:

That looks so yummy. One problem though….. I don’t have a microwave. uess I’ll have to stick with the oven method! 🙁

I totally have lazy days– I will just cook what I crave on those days. That food might be complicated or easy peasy! Some days I really don’t get outa my PJs, but most days love to go in the motions of getting ready, and then I can feel like a lazy, yet clean ;), person. Cold, rainy days are my favorite way to indulge in this habbit. It’s my instint just to curl up in a ball with my cat (who does the same!) and sip a hot drink!

Oh yeah… fall is gonna be good!
    VEGirl

1. VEGirl says:

ack! just excuse all the horrible misspellings in that comment!

15. Anonymous says:

Coconut Oil SPRAY?? Where or where does THAT come from? I’ve thought about using it in my Mist-o, but it solidifies… and the mist-o isn’t microwaveable… ??? Please share!

I have so got to try these single lady muffin/cupcakes! Me and the lil man can share one! (Or I’ll end up makin 2, a ‘single-lady’ and a ‘lil-man’. Lol!)

1. Oh I definitely recommend it! It’s Spectrum brand, and you can find it at Whole Foods. I think it’s a bit more expensive (like $5?), but it actually has a pleasant taste, unlike Pam, which tastes gross to me.

P.S. I love getting NICE anon comments every now and then, even if they weren’t meant to be anonymous lol! 🙂

1. Thanks Katie!! I loooove WF, but I don’t go there much cause we haven’t got money to spend Lol… I’ve never even seen this I may have to splurge soon and try it! And yes, Pam is nasty, I use EVOO spray or evoo in my mist-o 😉

16. Whoops. Why is my comment anonymous!? 🙁 Sad!
    ~ Brandie

17. Leslie says:

I think it’s official: YOU have the best recipes and HEAB has the best ideas. So put you two together and WE out in blogland are the lucky ones who get to take advantage of both of you :). Thanks, girls!

18. Albizia says:

I like rainy days. I don’t want to stay in bed when it rains and I usually take my umbrella and go out. I only hate it when my shoes drown in some too deep puddle. That’s why heavy rain is better in the summer. Flip-flops don’t mind swimming 🙂 . But storms are also the best time for reading a good book. When it’s dull outside, it’s really easy to feel like a part of the book.

1. kate says:

i ruined my favorite pair of shoes because of puddles! boo puddles!

19. spoonfulofsugarfree says:

I <3 rainy days 🙂 I love staying inside while the lightning hits and baking up fantastic recipes!! And curling up in bed with a good book…ahhh…relaxation!

20. EmbraceYourSkin says:

Everyday is a lazy day for me. In fact, my sweat pants are divided in to “school sweats” and “lazy sweats”. There is a clear difference, I assure you!

1. kate says:

haha i just wear pajama pants to school! no need to change :).