Gingerbread Cookie Dough Balls

As visions of Cookie Dough Balls danced in her head…

Do you ever dream about a food? And then wake up and have to make it? That’s what I did this morning: I woke up and got straight to work making Gingerbread Cookie Dough Balls. They tasted just as good as I dreamed they would.

vegan gingerbread balls

They’re simply made of Gingerbread Butter formed into balls. Oh my gosh, how can something so simple taste so good? Also, why do I have such an infatuation with ball-shaped foods? Fudge Babies, 3-ingredient pb balls, and now more balls? I dunno… balls are just super-cute. (Please keep your minds out of the gutter.)

Gingerbread Butter

• 6 tbsp Peanut Butter (I use salted)
  • around 1 1/2 tbsp Molasses (20g) (I used blackstrap)
  • heaping 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • scant 1/8 tsp ginger and nutmeg
  • Optional: cloves, sugar (I didn’t use either)

Mix peanut butter and molasses, either using a blender or fork. (I just used a fork to mix.) Add the spices and mix again. I discovered that, if you add enough of the spices to the Gingerbread Butter, the dough is dry enough to roll into cookie balls. (However, gingerbread butter is also delicious on a spoon, mixed in oatmeal, or as a sandwich with grilled strawberries or banana… or even apple slices. Or thin it out with a little almond milk, and make a pancake topping!)

vegan gingerbread truffles

Nutrition Facts:
(Serving size: 2 tablespoons, or 30 g)

• Calories: 180
  • Fat: 14 g
  • Protein: 8 g
  • Carbohydrates: 6 g

Later, more “foodie-ness” ensued. I bought myself an early Christmas present at Whole Foods:

vegan chocolate bar

Discerning eyes might notice the package is torn. That may or may not have something to do with the fact that my piggy little hands couldn’t even wait for a photoshoot before tearing into the chocolate.

This was just ok; I think I enjoyed the idea of the bar more than the actual flavor, which just wasn’t rich enough for me. But don’t hold it against the chocolate bar: I’m used to the richness of 100% chocolate. Plus, the toffee pieces were a tad annoying; they got stuck in my teeth and stood between me and my beloved chocolate. I’m a chocolate purist. Still, I wasn’t too unhappy with my purchase. It is chocolate, after all.

All that’s missing is the Raw Coconut Christmas Pie.

I wonder what the other guests would think if I brought a raw coconut cream pie to our Christmas Eve party… On second thought, maybe I’d better stick to the fudge babies!

Do you have any Christmas Eve traditions?
We always open one present each, watch The Grinch (the cartoon version), and read Twas the Night Before Christmas.

Tags: , , , , ,

1. Camille says:

These are so perfect looking!
    Our Christmas Eve tradition is watching “It’s A Wonderful Life”. It is one of my favorite movies and it always puts me in the Christmas spirit!
    On another note, The Hangover is currently #1 on my Netflix queue. When it gets here, I will mail you a good copy! Probably next week would be my guess!

2. We usually open 1 present each on Christmas eve as well!
    Those gingerbread cookie dough balls look wonderful, by the way!!!!

3. VeggieGirl says:

Christmas Eve traditions = sit by the fireplace and each open one present (seems to be a common tradition, haha 😀 ).

4. whitney says:

That chocolate bar sounds like its right up my alley!

Whitney

5. I also am unimpressed by 70% cacao bars now. The darker, the better!

We would usually watch a Christmas movie on Christmas Eve. Often it’s the 1950’s Rudolph the Rednosed Reindeer. That movie is hilarious!

6. Jennifer JCD says:

Oooh, how festive!

Since we got married (5 years ago), it seems like our Christmas traditions are lost between too many family events requiring our presence. One tradition on my husband’s side is a meal with 12 vegetarian dishes on Christmas Eve. A few are vegan but most of them aren’t. Hey, for a family of die-hard carnivores, it’s a start. We’re bringing borscht, fudge babies, and sweet potato perogies to share. Apparently it’s a Polish tradition.

I won’t have computer access between now and Christmas, and maybe nto until after the New year, so I hope you have a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year too!

1. Sweet potato perogies?!? Oh my gosh, those sound amazing! My grandma was 100% Polish, so she made perogies for Christmas :).
      Merry Christmas, JCD!

7. We always have lunch with my family on Christmas Eve, then we have birthday cake for my brother (who was born Xmas Eve), then open presents.

8. Count me in on the 1 present Christmas eve tradition! We’ve done it every year since I was little. Maybe we could start adding those dough balls in as a tradition as well…. 😉 Hope you have a very merry Christmas Katie!

1. Sarah says:

Us too! But I usually pick wrong and open something like socks :(.

9. Katherine says:

We used to always watch A Christmas Story on Christmas eve, and sometimes we still watch it at my dad’s house, but since my parent’s divorce the tradition has slowly faded.
    Those gingerbread med/balls look amazing!

10. Whoops this is the correct domain lol

11. Sarah P says:

I am so excited about that chocolate bar! I never would have picked it up in a store, because I’d’ve figured it couldn’t be vegan, but now I know! Toffee is one of my favorite things. Thanks!

The gingerbread balls look great.

12. Kelly says:

Have you tried any of the other Theo chocolates? I’ve been curious about them, but I haven’t tried any yet… hmm!

I love family traditions! We always get a new pair of pajamas, which we immediately put on. Then we read The Night Before Christmas, leave snacks out for “Santa,” and go to bed! I don’t know WHY we still do the Santa treat thing (my youngest sibling is 19!)… maybe to provide sustenance for my parents while they set out all our presents?

1. I was intrigued by the peppermint one too, but judging by my not-so-great encounter with this one, I probably won’t buy it now.

13. Lisa C. says:

OMG your photos are AWESOME! The first one especially looks professional! Plus, not to mention the fact that they look soooo yummy :).

14. We also did the one present thing on xmas eve! I was eying that chocolate last night but left it at WF 🙂

15. lindsay says:

Im loving the different flavored dough balls! And the more spice the better, right? We usually have a big gathering at our house Christmas eve then when everyone leaves we make cocoa and watch its a wonderful life…..till we pass out into a deep food slumber. hehe!
    LC

1. “And the more spice the better, right?”

Certainly as far as cinnamon is concerned!! 😉

16. We always open up one present. We used to read The Night Before Christmas, but it lost its appeal sometime in my brother’s teen years 🙂

17. That’s such a pretty picture of you! You are so STUNNING! Can’t contain my infatuation here! 😉
    I’m on such a gingerbread kick at the mo, so I’ll definitely be trying these if I have the ingredients!

1. Oh Emma, thank you SO much! Truthfully, I am ALWAYS apprehensive about posting photos of myself on my blog, because I pick apart my own photos… so hearing such a kind comment really helps me feel less nervous about it :). Thanks a ton, girl!

2. P.S. I tried to leave a comment on your blog, but I think wordpress spam ate it :(.

18. Great idea with the Gingerbread. They are next on my list.

I just made S’more cookie dough balls. 🙂

19. Alexandra says:

Hi Katie! We always have a special Christmas Eve dinner, and I still love to watch Rudolph and Frosty but its hard to find someone to watch them with me :(. Those gingerbread truffles look amazing! I know what I’m making tomorrow……

And I just started a new blog. If you get a chance, please check it out and let me know what you think!

1. Looks great, girl! Love the pumpkin pie :).

20. melissa @ the delicate place says:

yum! i think i might use some cashew/date combo with the molasses to make these balls! love me some g-bread flavors! my traditions are sparklers on xmas eve and watching the christmas story! it’s a fave

1. Sarah says:

A Christmas Story! Me too! Best movie ever :).