Vegan Polenta Casserole

Question for all my fashion friends:

chocolate covered katie

When will Christmas bows come into style?

For our Christmas Eve party, I decided on a recipe that originated from a cookbook. But, par for the course when I try to follow a recipe, my impulsive hands had to do their own thing. This is how Polenta Casserole (nicknamed “Christmas Polenta Casserole” for the party) came into existence.

vegan polenta casserole

Polenta Casserole, with a healthy dose of nutritional yeast.
Above, after sittin’ pretty in the oven for a while. Below, the polenta dinner, pre-baking:

polenta dinner

Christmas Polenta Casserole

• 2-3 bell peppers, chopped (I used 220g)
  • 4 cups zucchini, sliced (I used 560g)
  • 1 onion, chopped (I used 120g)
  • 2T soy sauce (such as tamari)
  • 4 cups kale (or other greens), chopped (I used 110g)
  • 1 tsp each parsley, dill, onion powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp oregano and basil
  • 2/3 cup (or more as desired) jarred or homemade pasta sauce
  • 1 cup cornmeal (I used whole-grain polenta)
  • 2 tbsp nutritional yeast, plus more for the top

1. Sauté the first three ingredients, in sautéing liquid of choice (oil, water, or broth), over high heat for 5 minutes. Then cover and simmer 5 more minutes. Add tamari and cook on low (covered) for 5 more minutes.

2. Add all remaining ingredients (except polenta), as well as 1/2 cup water. Stir and cover again. Cook until veggies are soft. Serve over cooked polenta (made with a little salt), and sprinkle nutritional yeast on top, as desired.

*For a true casserole, put the cooked polenta in an oiled pan and bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Then put the veggies on top, sprinkle with lots of nutritional yeast, and bake again for 35 minutes. But I am lazy and therefore will probably skip all these baking steps next time!

polenta nutritional yeast casserole

Amidst all of the lamb and pork and macaroni, this casserole was definitely the most festive-looking dish at the party. I’d say it was the most-tasty, too… but obviously I’m biased.

chocolate covered katie christmas

Tags: , , , ,

1. Ooh, that Polenta Casserole does look festive…and delicious! Hope you had a great holiday! :-)

2. Thetreadmilldiaries says:

What great pictures of you, Katie. Looks like you’re having a great Xmas time. At my house, fleece & flannel PJ bottoms are what you HAVE to wear. So comfy. Why would I go with anything else?

3. Well I’m hardly a fashionista, but I think that you’re successfully bringing back the Christmas bow! Love the pants too! 😀
    Great recipe! This could be the vegan main for me next Christmas! Looks yum :)

4. The best thing I ate this weekend is definitely a toss up between my orange maple sweet potatoes or my coconut oil sauteed brussels sprouts!!!! LOVED them! :)

1. Mmmm coconut oil b sprouts! Love in sprouted form :).

5. ahahhah you are hilarious— i’m so with you on the bows– they aint just fo’ decoratin’ presents, oh no! and the pants- such a winner! you cannot go wrong with some festive fleeces! casserole looks DELICIOUS.. i wish I could have a bite x100

6. I appreciate this recipe as I am on a massive sugar overload!

7. Anna B says:

First-time commenter – I love your blog! And I’ll definitely be making that casserole, I think I’ll be stocking up on some kale in general. We can always use the calcium!

My favourite is difficult to pick, but I think the fennel and coconut cream soup. It was the perfect start of our Christmas dinner and the omnis gobbled it up :)

1. Hi Anna!!! Your soup sounds absolutely amazing. Next year, I want to go to YOUR feast :).

8. Camille says:

Haha, you’re much more fashionable than I am in my Grinch PJs :)

9. Disturbed says:

Hmmm, the best thing I ate this weekend was something of mine that I made. It is like a chocolate/caramel date dipping -though I like to just eat it plain.
    Pretty simple to, just bring about 10-12 dates to boil in some almond milk (or whatever type of milk). Once the dates are really soft just dump them into a blender and whip them up till there is no pieces left. Poor into a container and let set for about a minute. It taste more caramel-y if you put some vanilla extract in it. You can also put a tbsp of peanut butter in it for a little bit of a nutty taste.
    So good-or maybe I am just weird lol.

1. Disturbed says:

*I use the sunsweet dates, and it is a cup of almond milk.

2. Wow, thanks so much for sharing. That recipe sounds insane! (Insane as in Insanely good!!)

10. That look would so be in style at my house, just maybe not outside of it :)

Hmm, had some awesome lemongrass tofu for Chirstmas dinner. Yeah, we’re weird that way.

1. That sounds so good… I’m always intrigued by lemongrass, but I’ve never actually had it!
      P.S. WordPress now hates me and is sending my comments to spam. So you’re not alone :(.

1. Lemongrass is sooo good! I’ve determined that the WordPress spam filter is pure evil.

1. Yes! Evil! We should revolt :).

11. Kiki says:

Haha, I definitely spent half of yesterday with a Christmas bow on my head too! They should be in style, in my opinion :)

ZOMG LOVE POLENTA. I might try this soon. And the best thing I ate over Christmas was some stuffed portobello mushrooms!

12. Albizia says:

Everything looks good on you so who cares if it’s into style? I’m lucky mo brother didn’t come up with the idea to post the picture he took of me at the Christmas Eve dinner. A sweatshirt and training pants don’t the perfect holiday look 😀 Fleece pants are waaay better.

Best thing I ate? That’s a tough one. I ate so many delish things and it’s hard to pick just one. Among my favorites were dried peppers stuffed with beans, my pumpkin dessert and your Thanksgiving stuffing which I cooked for dinner today and the whole family liked it very much.

1. Aww I’m so glad!
      LOL we should just make up our own Christmas dress code: fleece, sweats, and NO high heels whatsoever :).

13. Brandie says:

I LOVE polenta! I wanbt to make this casserole YAY! Since I am just a single lady, with a Beebits, do you suppose it’d work cut in half though? (Or wil it freeze?) :)

You look adorable as usual, I looove the long long hair and the HOHOHO jammies too *giggle* :)

1. Yeah, I bet it would! Especially if you omit the baking steps. (Otherwise, just use a smaller pan to bake it in.) I don’t see why it wouldn’t freeze well, either. I looooove freezing food, because then you can just pull it out for a 5-minute meal :).

14. Ooh that casserole looks soo goood cant wait to make it. I love healthy casseroles and good ones are hard to find! Hope you had a wonderful holiday.

15. Dana says:

You are to gorgeous hun and you are adorable with that bow and PJ’s. Hope you had a lovely Christmas =)

Dana xox

1. Aw Dana, thank you so much. I hope your Christmas was AMAZING as well, lovely girl :) :).

16. VEGirl says:

Best thing I ate was the Christmas desert I created! SOOOOO yummy: warm chunky pear sauce with a rownie (round shaped chocolate brownie) topped with a silken tofu whipped topping, drizzled with a pear rosemary reduction sauce and finished with a sprinkle of cinnamon, all layered in a small blue dessert glass. Wow, thats a mouthful! I’ll blog about it soon :). Although my other #1 top favorite is the salted peanut butter popcorn I made for the Chrsitmas holiday. So yummy paired with a banana, too!

VEGirl

1. Please let me come to your home next year for Christmas! Pretty please with peanut butter popcorn on top?

17. Alexandra says:

That polenta casserole looks amazing – officially on the “to make” list (boy is that list getting long…….). At first I thought that our home made bread rolls were the best thing I ate this weekend, but then I remembered my Mom’s chocolate cream pie. Needless to say, the pie took first place. After all, anything with chocolate always wins. 😉

1. Heck yeah, chocolate is the correct answer to every question!

18. That casserole looks so good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. Jess says:

That looks great!!
    Hope you had a very merry holidayyyyy!

20. Blog is the New Black says:

You are adorable with your bow! Best thing I ate… candy cane kisses, for sure!