Shop-oholic Chocoholic

Say that three times fast.

I am a power shopper in every sense of the term. I’ll go in, look around for five minutes, and if nothing catches my eye, I’m gone. I just don’t like wasting time.

Yesterday I put my power-shopping skills to work. Groceries? Check. Books? Check. Clothes? Double check.

nike nike pegasus

Best purchases of the day: a pair of my favorite running shoes.

(I needed them and they were $20 off. Score!) and some tempo shorts. Ok, so I didn’t need the shorts. But I am such a sucker for cute running clothes… and for good sales. I’ll never buy full-price if I know a certain item will eventually go on sale. Even coconut butter. When Whole Foods marks the Artisana down to $8, I pounce! (If you ever see a girl with 10 jars of coconut butter in her cart, it’s me.) Same goes for shampoo, vitamins, and some produce.

After all that power shopping, I worked up an appetite for Chinese (thanks, in part, to the aroma of Panda Express wafting through the mall. I swear, it’s like they use super-smelling chemicals on that food!). So, when I got home, that’s what I made:

cashew ginger stir fry

cashew ginger

Cashew-Ginger Stir Fry

I discovered—midway through cooking—that we were out of soy sauce. So I just let the veggies do the talking flavoring. Surprisingly, the soy sauce wasn’t missed at all. From now on, I’ll always leave it out. I don’t really watch my sodium, per se, but there’s no point in adding excess sodium to something that tastes just as good without it.

Have you ever done that? Just let the veggies flavor a dish, without adding a sauce? Sometimes I don’t like to add sauce, because then the entire dish tastes like sauce. Veggies have so much flavor to add in their own right, especially when garlic is included.

As a side, I forewent rice in favor of Home Alone Pilaf.

If you haven’t tried rye flakes, I highly recommend them. They’re chewy, yet soft, and they have an almost nutty flavor.

Questions of the Day:
Do you like shopping? And are you a bargain hunter?

I’m definitely a bargain hunter in that coupons make me super-happy, and I love when my favorite things are on sale. But I don’t normally browse the clearance rack at clothing stores or run out when stores have special sales. I never seem to find good clothes on clearance.

Unrelated: I’m leaving the Artisana Coconut Butter Giveaway up on Twitter for one more day.

🙂

Tags:

1. I don’t like just plain veggies cooked — they need something mixed in there like garlic (like you mentioned!) — or I add some butter or olive oil.

I am a total bargain hunter — I live for sales and coupons and if it isn’t the right price I don’t get it. I’m going to get new running shoes tonight and I fear what I will bring home with me 🙂

2. Emily the blogless reader says:

Hi Katie,

I’ve been reading your blog for just a short while now, but already I’ve fallen in love with your delectable recipes. However, I never knew what you looked like until today.

You are stunningly beautiful! 🙂 🙂

It’s nice to finally put a face to the name. Thanks for putting so much work into your blog. I currently have the stuff for the red velvet pancakes on my grocery list. And I might have to spring for some Artisana coconut butter, after hearing you rave about it all the time. The company should pay you, for how many people you’ve probably turned on to it!

1. abby says:

+1 hehe. katie, you’re beautiful :).
      i am the hugest hugest bargain shopper! oh my gosh, especially with food. it’s ridiculous. it literally makes my day if i find something i love that’s on sale, like my favorite peanut butter or larabars. oh happy day when the larabars are on sale!

3. Albizia says:

The shorts are very cute and you will wear them a lot for sure when it gets warm enough. I often buy winter clothes in the spring and summer clothes in the autumn or winter because this is the way to catch the best sales.

In general I don’t like clothes shopping because I get frustrated if I can’t find what I want (and if I can’t find it, I don’t buy anything at all). It’s much better with shoes because the last pair left is almost always my size. I’m European size 40 (American 7 1/2 – 8 I think) and it’s needless to say that there aren’t many girls that size. I got my dream shoes for my graduation at 25% of their original price 🙂 .

1. Haha really, that’s a rare size? lol over here I think 7 is average, and some girls I know even wear size 10! My poor friend who wore a size ten could NOT find shoes in China!

1. Albizia says:

Oops! Wrong size converter. It was supposed to be 9 1/2 – 10 😀 .

1. haha ok that makes more sense! You’d fit right in, here. Texas girls seem to have bit feet, even the skinny ones! 🙂

4. Jennifer JCD says:

Hey, I bought new running shoes yesterday too! I tried on your favourite shoes but they didn’t fit – too wide. Instead, bright pink Mizuno Wave Riders came home with me (as they always do) along with a few other things I saw on the discount rack and bought too. Wind/water resistant capris in my size for $10 (regularly $54.99) – yes please! (They never have my size on the sales rack, ever, so I was shocked.) Haha, I’m a sucker for running gear too, especially when it’s on sale. I even found a nearly new running jacket at the thrift store once for $12. (We love thrift stores.)

We made your red velvet pancakes last night and we both loved them. We topped them, of course, with smushed up berries. Brilliant.

1. Aw, Jennifer, I am SO excited you tried them! And with smashberry jam, no less hehe ;). It’s such an honor when you make my recipes! Thank you!

5. I’m a total bargain shopper too! I only buy things on sale and NEVER pay full price for anything if I can avoid it!

6. I have to admit I can be a shopoholic! =] But I used to buy clothes, and now I buy kitchen supplies and cookbooks! It’s a bad obsession! lol But I do try and bargain shop…Im not that good…but I try =]

7. iam a bargain gal too! mainly when it comes to food.. with clothes im just impatient and i wil buy it full price if i feel like it ahah.. but people always give me the mega stares and i try to explain to them how if i just buy 10 of these right now on sale im going to save becuz i would eventually buy 10 at some point overtime…. but then they STILL dont understand and im like. IT MAKES PERFECT SENSE, RIGHT?!?!

1. Haha well I think so… but maybe we’re both crazies?

8. Angie says:

Yay new running shoes how FUN!

9. Hannah says:

I would say I’m a bargain hunter….I shop at higher priced stores but I always seem to get such a good deal! I have a huge problem buying e-books though. Amazon just makes it so easy for me to press and click and have it on my kindle right then!

10. I LOVE shopping. Not exactly a bargain hunter, but I do get super excited when I get a good deal. For instance, I went to Anthro this weekend and got a 50 dollar belt for 10 dollars. I think I told all of my friends twice! lol

11. I am the exact same way! Girl if I don’t see anything I want, I am GONE – I don’t like shopping very much, not gonna lie:) Online shopping has made my life so much easier!

12. Jen S. says:

I am such a bargain shopper! I research well ahead of any trip to Costco to see if there are manufacturer’s coupons online, to see what’s in the Costco coupon book, and what the price is at Costco and at other stores. And that’s just Costco.

I get the weekly specials flyers for Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods and study them. Then I make up the list with what I’m buying and in what amount. And we can’t forget to factor in the coupons. I don’t let a coupon persuade me to buy something I don’t normally buy unless it’s something I’ve been thinking about buying and the discounted price makes the test run worth it.

1. abby says:

+1! i am always so excited when i find a coupon for something i was going to buy anyway!

13. i love getting things at a discount and love hunting for bargains. i love scoping out cheap finds at thrift stores and do most of my shopping online since its more convenient and usually much cheaper.

14. Emma says:

I love me veggies plain 🙂 especially things like cauliflower and broccoli, and of course onions are delish with out any extra flavours!

As for shopping… I HATE it with a passion, I’m a very small person so nothing looks good or fits right, that I like anyway, I tend to like more professional clothes so I look like a little boy playing cross-dress-up :P. I do enjoy shopping for other people though. Its always more fun!

1. Emma says:

Haha.. and I will never buy anything full price. Except for fresh, organic produce, that I’ll gladly pay extra for.

15. I am definitely a bargain hunter! I live for buying cheap things 🙂

16. 🙁 None of your pictures are coming though on my work computer 🙁

1. Oh no! 🙁 I hope it fixes soon!

2. Eric Jaffa says:

You can try a different browser, if you’re allowed.

17. I do like shopping, and I love a good bargain! I always buy things when they’re on sale even if I don’t need them!

I don’t use soy sauce either, moreso because of the gluten – but I never miss it!

18. Cute shorts! I’m more inspired to work out when I have new workout clothes. The stir-fry looks tasty, but I would need soy sauce. I’m a saltaholic.

1. Oh me too! It’s kinda scary… I mean, I will actually put up to a 1/2 tsp in my oatmeal even. I don’t have high blood pressure, so I don’t think it’s a problem… but every now and then, I wonder… 😕
      Maybe it’s cause we don’t eat a ton of processed crap (um hello processed meats!) so our bodies actually need more table salt? I dunno lol.

19. eatandrun says:

Cute title!

20. bitt says:

those shorts look like they are hovering in midair.

I’m a big bargain hunter, but don’t buy in bulk as much as I’d like due to lack of room!

a good replacement for soy sauce is a bit of fresh shredded ginger and a bit of salt. yum!

1. lol I know! Silly google image. The ones I bought are much cuter, besides!