Gluten-Free Breakfast Pizza

Although I love gluten, I know many of this blog’s readers do not love gluten; or rather, it does not love them.

I try to take this into account when creating recipes, and there is a section of the website devoted entirely to those recipes that are or can be gluten-free: Over 100 Gluten-Free Healthy Dessert Recipes

And now, here’s one more recipe to add to the list:

pizzert2

Readers have been asking if my dessert pizza recipe can be made gluten-free, so I decided to try it out: I’m always up for an experiment if it involves food! Without much any gluten-free-flour experience, deciding which ones to use was a daunting task. Finally, I chose a combination of coconut flour (Are you surprised?) and garbanzo bean flour. I’d read that it’s best to combine flours when cooking gluten-free.

pizzert

This does have a slight hummus-y taste, which I really liked. But if you’re not a hummus fan, maybe try subbing rice flour or quinoa flour for the garbanzo flour? (If you’re not doing the gluten-free thing, I also really like subbing spelt flour. It’s yummy in conjunction with the coconut!)

Gluten-Free Breakfast Pizza

(Serves 1-2)

• 45g (1/3 c plus 1 tbsp) garbanzo bean flour (or spelt flour, but that’s not gluten-free)
  • 24g (3 tbsp) coconut flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1-2 tbsp sugar or 1-2 packets stevia (If you have no sweet tooth you can omit, as I like to do.)
  • 1/2 cup water, juice, or milk of choice
  • 2 tbsp applesauce or coconut oil, pumpkin, canola oil, mashed banana, or even baby food!
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • spices or extracts if you wish (I like adding a little cinnamon)
  • A few handfuls: Fill in the blank! Raspberries? Chocolate chips? Chopped apples, walnuts, and raisins?  Anything goes!!  It’s your breakfast pizza!

Combine all ingredients, then pour into a well-greased 8-inch round pan. Cook in an UNpreheated oven at 420F for 14-15 minutes (less time if using spelt flour). Leave out 10 minutes before cutting around the sides and then transferring to a plate. (Note: be sure to spray your cake pan well; my first attempt with the gluten-free pizzert fell apart when I tried to take it out! But it was still a delicious, crumbly mess. UPDATE: If you have trouble with a pizza that sticks to the pan, try putting it onto a sprayed or oiled baking sheet instead, and use a rolling pin to flatten.)

breakfast pizza

homemade-coconut-butter

I highly recommend this frosting: Secretly Healthy Vanilla Fudge Frosting.

This time, I topped it with… nothing. The coconut flour gave the pizzert an almost custard-like taste. Why am I surprised that coconut flour is so good? It’s coconut, after all!

Tags: , , , ,

1. Mallory says:

Tastes like custard??? I want some!!!

Like egg custard?
    I haven’t had that since long before becoming vegan. I think I have spelt flour (I’m not gluten free), so all I need to do is get the coconut flour. So excited to make this!

1. Mallory says:

Ok, I’m sold! I’ll have to make a special trip to the grocery store so I can make this today! Thanks girl! :)

2. Alaina Rose says:

Hi Katie, I just wanted to let you know that I’ve made a gluten-free version of your pizzert using Pamela’s (gluten-free) Baking and Pancake Mix and it turned out really good! I just didn’t add any baking powder because the baking mix already has it in there. I bet your gluten-free version is super yummy too! I’ll have to try it.

1. Oh wow, thanks for telling me! lol just shows how naive I am. I didn’t realize there was gluten-free baking mix! I guess I ought to peruse the gluten-free section of the grocery store more closely!

1. Alaina Rose says:

Awww nonsense! You’re not naive. Sometimes we all just need someone to turn us on to something new! You do that for people all the time 😉 Yeah, Pamela’s is a great line of gluten-free products. I definitely recommend them to anyone with a gluten allergy or just trying trying out a gluten-free diet.

3. Änne says:

yummie, that looks tasty…making a pizzert for breakfast is so on my list, especially after you posted the one with blueberries :-)
    I just became vegan and I´m still cooking, baking and nibbling myself through vegan cuisine 😉

4. I wonder if you could do this with whole chickpeas in a blender/food processor. And then maybe you wouldn’t need the applesauce for moisture?

1. Honestly, I am such a novice baker, so I have no clue if it’d work. But it *sounds* like a super-fun idea. If you try it, let me know how it works!! I’d love to know!

5. Iris says:

Looks delicious to me! I’ve just started learning to bake gluten-free with stevia, and it’s so much fun! (albeit expensive, yes?)

1. Yeah, I think that coconut flour was like $6? But oh-so worth it!

1. Teresa says:

Check the bulk section of your local WHole Foods or Natural Foods Store. I got just a bit to experiment with from bulk at WF, and it really wasn’t too bad. Maybe less sanitary (?) but definitely more affordable.

1. Thanks, Teresa. I never thought to look there! I’m sure I’ll be needing more very soon ;).

6. Definitely going to get some Garbanzo Bean Flour – I’ve been curious about it for a while.

As for coconut flour, I can’t get it over here. Would it work to just finely ground desiccated coconut in a blender or coffee grinder? Or does coconut flour have some special ingredient?

1. I *think* it’s just coconut… but oddly enough, my package doesn’t seem to list the ingredients! But when in doubt, you can always google ;).

7. Lisa C. says:

Off topic, but your photos just get more and more gorgeous every day. Your blog is a joy to read :).

8. HVL says:

Great recipe.

but… GAH! It really annoys me when people label foods as ‘special diet’ foods. It doesn’t really encourage people to try foods without animal producst etc if they think they’re some ‘freaky’ or ‘special’ food. If food is vegan, then great, vegans can eat it – but so can omnis! It’s just… food.

Sorry for the mini-rant, but adding labels encourages people to shun foods and think that ’cause they’re labeled ‘vegan’ that they can’t eat them (seriously, friend A asked why friend B was eating soy burgers when B wasn’t vege – err, because he wanted to/liked them? How is that hard to believe?).

1. Don’t be sorry! I completely agree with you. Like when I say I went to a raw restaurant… people ask me, “So are you a raw foodist?” No, but I’m not Chinese either and I still love their cuisine lol.

9. Katie, I seriously want some coconut flour now! Hehe. 😛 This gluten-free pizzert looks amazing–almost like a better version of socca! I’ve been playing with socca a little bit recently, which uses garbanzo bean flour. It’s super fun. :)

1. I still need to make socca! I’ve been eyeing the P2R Twins’ creations for a while now. Must get my butt in gear!

10. Jennifer JCD says:

Coconut flour?!?! Sounds super yummy! And the chickpea flour will give it that eggy taste. Mmm… sounds delicious!

As for ‘special diets’ we’ve been vegan for a long time and eat a lot of raw snacks and desserts. Last week I was doagnosed with a life-threatening nut allergy (major sad face), so that threw a screwball into our usual eats. It can be tricky, but education and making yummy food makes up for everything we are ‘missing out on’.

PS – Silken tofu + melted chocolate + Magic Bullet = very delicious chocolate pudding/mousse/pie (depending on the ratios you use)

1. Lindsey in CO says:

Thank you so much for posting this Jennifer!! My little girl is allergic to dairy and egg products and has really been missing chocolate pudding. I can’t wait to make this for her!!

2. Oh no, JCD! A nut allergy? I think you’re the worst one if could happen to! What’re you going to do with all those gallon-sized tubs of pb??? (Or is it just one particular type of nut?)

1. Jennifer JCD says:

It’s horrible, I know!! So far, the dangerous allergy is just hazelnuts and wlanuts (maybe pecans and almonds), but my doctor told me to avoid all nuts until I get an allergy test, which isn’t until July. Ick. Thankfully, our big tubs of PB were almost empty so I gave them to a friend. It’s been like Christmas around my house because I’m giving boxes of nutty things to friends and relatives. (Peanuts should be safe in the end, so those big tubs of PB may return…)

Thank goodness for NoNuts Peabutter… at least I can make fudge babies with that. (It’s a locally-made nut-free spread that resembles peanut butter.) I’m now on a quest to find good nut-free chocolate… Endangered Species may contain nuts.

1. Wait, but coconut’s ok, right? That’s all that matters! 😉
          Hmmm… I’ll have to look out for chocolate for you too. Four eyes (and mouths) are better than two!

2. Amber says:

You should also check out sunflower seed butter. Sunbutter is the common brand (even my Target carries it), but I prefer the store brands from Trader Joe’s or my local grocery chain. I can’t say for sure, but I feel like there are enough brands out there that at least one or two of them shouldn’t have cross-contamination concerns with nuts. As an added bonus I’ve found prices to be much closer to peanut butter (at least when compared to most other nut butters).

11. Gen says:

Great idea!!!!! I’ve actually never tried baking gluten-free, but a pizzert would definitely be a good start! =D

12. Girl, I love your Pizzerts!!! 😀 I haven’t tried them gluten free yet! Ohhh, and this sounds amazing!

xoxo
    Kathleen

13. Jos says:

I’m currently following Primal/Paleo diet lifestyle..I think you mentioned your sister did that a while back? So far I’m loving it :)

1. lol nope, not my sister. But glad you’re enjoying it, girl! :)

14. Raw foods! But they’re so much more accessible than everyone thinks! Guacamole, salsa, green salads :) I try to stay away from sugar too, even vegan/raw sources. Definitely no high fructose corn syrup going in this tummy :)

15. Ahh love love love you! Slash I always eat vegan, gluten free, and mostly raw and soy free. I hate labels though so I just say I eat food:)

16. I try and experiment with different restrictions to see how my body reacts. Custard flavor? I’m in!

17. This looks delicious! I have to say that the coconut flour has to make that taste incredible. I think rice flour would be perfect with it too! I bet a flax egg would help it hold together a little more too, instead of xanthan gum. I am definitely going to make this one!

18. i love me gluten!!! chickpea flour is a good idea for the sans gluten version!.. I eat vegan foods, which is why i worship your recipes page.. and RAW FOODS ARE GOOD.. well ive never tried raw savory foods but like raw bars and balls and FUDGE= happiness in my belly

19. Everything I eat it gluten free, corn free, dairy free, and mostly soy free. Yikes!!

20. Anonymous says:

just wondering- is blogging your full time job? i know your in college- what are you majoring in? how do you have time for a full college course load AND trying all these recipes and writing the posts? you must be super busy!!!

1. Yup, as crazy as it sounds, I’m finding that I AM starting to be able to make a living from blogging and opportunities that are coming my way because of it. It’s truly a dream job! I haven’t written a post about this yet, but I’m planning to do so.