Like Rice Pudding… only better

But where’s the green?

Although I’ve been peppering y’all with green-themed recipes for the past two weeks, I completely neglected green foods for my own St. Patrick’s Day breakfast yesterday. However, I still managed to pay homage to my Irish roots: with Irish oatmeal!

For these oats, I used the Oatmeal Pudding Method. This cooking technique makes oatmeal so incredibly creamy!

oats

Better-n-Rice Pudding Oatmeal

I also added a few caraway seeds and a pinch of baking soda, to turn it into Irish Soda Oatmeal Pudding. I’m just one of those people who gets really into holidays. Well, maybe not as much as some people…

Ah Colin Firth.

Above, in Bridget Jones’s Diary. Did anyone else think he and Bridget were seriously mis-matched? In real life, she would’ve ended up with Hugh Grant, leaving Mr. Firth available for… me? Wishful thinking. 😉

Okay, on to lunch, where I made up for the lack of green at brekkie:

polentaveg

Vegan Polenta Casserole

But with a twist: Last time I made the casserole, I decided it was too much of a hassle to cook the veggies, cook the polenta, and then bake them all together. So yesterday I skipped the baking step (and had bulgur pilaf on the side, instead of polenta).

Do you get really into holidays?

Do you decorate the house, wear silly clothing, and make holiday-themed foods?

I’m not just talking about Christmas; I mean all the holidays. As I said before, I go all out for holidays. So expect to see quite a few carrot-cake-themed recipes this next month! Not that I’ll be neglecting the non-holiday recipes… Can you say frozen hot chocolate? 😉

P.S. I was honored to be asked as a guest on my adorable friend, Gina’s (fitnessista) site!

1. Freya says:

I wish I did get into the holidays, and I do in spirit (aka excitement!) but I hardly ever dress up or cook holiday inspired things…it’s a ‘when I have my own house’ type thing 🙂
    I LOVE COLIN FIRTH!! He makes me proud to be English 😀

2. I soooo want to make your oatmeal rice pudding!!! It looks way too good!! 😀

I do normally REALLY get into the holidays (I mean they only come once a year right?), but I admit that I didn’t do anything for St. Patty’s Day this year because I completely forgot!!! Oops :/

Loving all your green from your last few posts!! I’m sure that at least one of your recipes will be the star of next year’s St. Patty’s Day (if not sooner! 🙂 )

Have a fabulous weekend girl!!! 😀

3. I love holidays, and my family always decorates and goes all out! We don’t really celebrate st. pattys day tho….

4. We decorate for Christmas, fall and spring. My mother in law goes all out for holidays — with sticky things on her doors, festive wreaths, etc. That is too much work for me!

I don’t really dress differently though — but around Christmas I’ll wear my super obnoxious Christmas tree earrings (I also have jingle ball ones!)

5. Your Irish oatmeal looks deeelicious! I’ll have to try your oatmeal pudding method sometime!

6. Eric Jaffa says:

Will we get a soft pretzel recipe next week?

1. Nope, I haven’t started experimenting with it yet. But can I distract you with frozen hot chocolate this week? 😉

7. I love any excuse to get a little dressed up, celebrate with friends and, of course, BAKE. i’m into holiday themed foods and traditions 🙂

happy friday love!

8. Picky Nicky says:

Your oatmeal DOES look incredibly creamy 🙂 I love irish oats to begin with so I’ll def be giving that a try!
    And I love holidays too 😀 I just love celebrating anything!

9. I didnt do anything festive or wear festive clothes yesterday! Lol BUT on like Christmas and Halloween and things like that I do. oh and I think I need to try that vegan polenta casserole! It looks yummy!

10. Jennifer JCD says:

Mmmm… rice pudding… but with oats!

We’re not big into the holidays. We celebrate the ones that are important to us but don’t make a huge statement about it. The only exception is my husband’s Hallowe’en fascination – our house is decked out by the first of October every year.

11. I’m not a huge holiday person, but I think it’s fun to do little things to get in the spirit! I sort of forgot about St. Paddy’s Day, but this weekend I am definitely planning to make another of your gorgeous minty creations 🙂

12. I usually get pretty into holidays!! It’s just so much fun to dress and up and decorate everything! Love that Colin Firth was in this post. Have you seen The King’s Speech yet?? It is so good!!

1. Oh my gosh, I am the worst Colin Firth fan ever… because I haven’t seen it! 🙁 I will, I will!

13. Ohhh Colin Firth, he makes me heart melt! Love that accent 🙂 Oh, and I love going all out for the holidays!! I even made Ryan a St. Patrick’s day card to celebrate “him” being irish… lol! Can’t wait to see your upcoming carrotcakes… I love that stuff!

14. Haha, I must be like the least “into the holidays” person ever. I just really don’t care that much 🙁 Oh well… Gotta say, I was just going to try to make oatmeal like rice pudding, and now I don’t have to guess about what to throw in 😀 Thanks!

15. God, I love holidays! Even weird fake ones….like National Pancake Day or Potato Chip Day. Today, btw, is Goddess of Fertility Day, a holiday paying homage to goddesses Aphrodite, Isis, and Freya. 🙂

16. Dina says:

I do love Christmas and really get into it. I am slowy starting to decorate for other festive events 🙂

17. Jackie @ Baking Charms says:

When I was in college we decorated our house for EVERYTHING! It was fun 🙂 Now I tone it down a bit… a green sweater was all for yesterday.

18. Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free says:

I love holidays….It is so much fun to be goofy and make a big deal out of little stuff….or else where is all the fun in life???!!

19. I tend to only go all out for Halloween and Christmas, but not so much the other holidays. I would like to celebrate more holidays though. It’s a great excuse to dress up, decorate or eat tasty food, ha.

I’ve made your oatmeal pudding before, but I’m curious as to what the baking soda does in this version. Does it taste any different?

1. It was a tad bit saltier… with a bit of a bite. But honestly I was too chicken to add more than 1/8 tsp and risk ruining the oatmeal!

20. I LOVE holidays SO MUCH!! They are the things I look forward to in each year, so BRING ON EASTER already!! 😀

And lol I think the EXACT same thing every time I watch Bridget Jones! They are SO not made for each other!! And I think that you and Colin would make a pretty cute couple y’know! 🙂

1. And then, since he’s British, we could move to the UK and live next door to you! (Ok ok, I know he’s married… yeah, like I’d have a chance anyways? lol)

1. EXACTLY. Cos Colin Firth is my neighbour, didn’t you know that?! 😉

What do you mean you wouldn’t have a chance?!! Who could resist that gorgeous face and sweet personality? And anyway, all you’d have to do is feed him some fudge babies and he’d be all yours! 😛

1. Hela says: