Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Chickpea Poppers

Full House.

For seventeen years, our household consisted of four people: Dad, Mom, Katie, and Michelle. Initially, it felt strange when my sister and I went off to college after so many years living in the same family unit. Now, however, it feels strange when we’re all back together under one roof! Strange, but wonderful. It’s especially nice to sit down to a family dinner again, just like old times. We took advantage the other night. My sister made the dinner, and I was in charge of salad and sides (grilled veggies).

caesar

Above, a salad tossed with Crazy-Good Ranch Dressing.

That dressing is so good! I’m running out of things to put it on, having already tried pasta, salad, bulgur, steamed veggies, and roast veggies. The other day I made a really delicious bowl of random leftovers: roast cauliflower and baby bellas, fresh corn, and the ranch, all mixed up.

I’d planned to roast the chickpeas, but I just couldn’t fathom the idea of turning on the oven when it was 105 degrees outside. So I grilled them. Always a rebel.

caesar

The chickpeas went into our salads too. They made for a nice, crunchy alternative to croutons.

Chickpea Poppers

Found here: Recipes with Beans

• 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 1/8 tsp salt, or to taste
  • oil or oil spray
  • seasonings of choice (I used paprika and curry powder, but ginger or cinnamon would also be nice. Or you could even go sweet: try coconut oil, cinnamon, and perhaps even some sugar or stevia.)

Rinse and drain your chickpeas, then dry with a towel. Mix with a little oil or spray, then toss with your seasonings (optional: you can also add a little flour if desired). To grill, you can use a panini press, a griddle, or a grill pan right over your grill.

Alternatively, you can roast these in a 400-degree oven, for 30-40 minutes, tossing every ten minutes. Optional: make ’em twice as addictive by tossing them in Healthy Ranch Dressing.

dadus

Questions of the Day:

Do you still live with all your siblings?

It’s weird for me to think about the fact that it’s been six years since our family lived all together like when we were growing up.

1. Emily says:

Carmel corn chick peas is such a good idea!!!!
    My older siblings and I are 11 years apart so we don’t see each other a lot but when we do, it’s always exciting. I don’t know what I’d do if I was an only child!

2. Stefanie says:

You look like your sister. :) I have never roasted chickpeas because I always forget to when I have some chickpeas handy. Grilling them sounds good. My brothers have moved out and I am moving back in to my parents house. It is nice to have a choice of bedrooms since they won’t be moving back in any time soon. 😉

3. Emma says:

Oh my gosh, you are SO beautiful!!!

And also, I cannot WAIT for the caramel corn chickpeas!!!

4. Tricia says:

sounds good! Just got a can of chickpeas so you know what I’ll be doing soon :)

5. Love roasted chickpeas! Delish! I usually just buy the processed flavoured ones from the supermarkets and they are good. 😀

6. Lisa Fine says:

I love roasted chickpeas!

Our friends made them for us one winter night while we were waiting for our dinner to finish cooking. They made a perfect, popcorn-like snack, and they’re really good with some nutritional yeast.

I haven’t lived with my sister since high school, but I’m lucky enough to see her at least every month, and we go on an annual trip to Disney World each year. :)

7. I LOVE roasted chickpeas! I made some Indian-spiced a couple of months ago and used them in a salad with cantaloupe – the flavor combo was incredible: .http://www.sprint2thetable.com/2011/04/indian-spiced-roasted-chickpeas/

Can’t wait for your Caramel Corn version!

8. Jenny says:

Yes, I’ve roasted chickpeas many, many times! There are some really good “recipes” (really just seasoning ideas) for roasted chickpeas over at “Peas & Thank You”! I love, love, love roasting them with Indian spices or smoked paprika. I’ve tried them with “sweet” seasonings, but really prefer them as a savory snack or salad topper.

My brother’s studying in Singapore, and he’d NEVER come back to Canada, where I’m studying… Haha, when my family gets together, it’s usually somewhere in the middle of all of the places we live, like in Europe! Equal traveling time for each of us is only fair…

Lovely picture of you, your sister and your father! Smiles all around~ :) You can definitely see some similarities between you and your sister, but you both also have such healthy looking hair!

1. Haha I can understand… Singapore is just so beautiful and warm! (And clean!) Who’d want to leave?
      And hey, meeting up in Europe doesn’t sound too bad ;).

9. vogelstar says:

mmm I have made these and love them. And I truly believe caramel chickpeas will be good. In middle eastern groceries, you can buy candy coated dry chickpeas. The mix of the sweet and salty work very well with these little guys.

10. I have been loving Chickpeas lately – they are so good. I like to roast them and top with balsamic reduction – delicious!

11. Leslie Paquette says:

I love roasted chickpeas! Good idea to put them in a grill pan, I’ll have to try that.

12. tea-bag says:

i LOVE roasted chickpeas! i like to vary the spices to make them sweet or savory but my fav is a mix of indian spices! i’ve never tried them grilled, though – awesome!

13. Jennifer JCD says:

LOVE the photo of you, your Dad, and your sister!! Adorable!

Mmm… roasted chickpeas make an awesome snack!! So glad you had the chance to try them. Yummy!

It’s been a long time since my family has lived together, and thankfully we all live in the same part of the town in which I grew up, so we get together a lot for dinners or play games. It’s nice having family just a quick bike ride away. Daaaddddyyy… the lock on our patio door isn’t working, can you fix it? And sure enough he comes over to do it. hehehe… I love having family so close. :)

14. Gen says:

Yum!!!!! I need to try these out!

15. Rebecca says:

I love roasted chickpeas! I had kind of forgotten about them, so thanks for the reminder! I’ve made them with a chili powder and cumin spice combo.

16. I’ve tried roasted chickpeas before and they are the bomb! Last time I made them I tossed them with a few tablespoons of buffalo sauce after roasting…yum! 😀

17. Sam says:

Roasted chickpeas are awesome! I bet grilled would be really fun too, gotta try that. Right now I live with my boyfriend, my brother still lives at home with mom and dad!

18. Nicky says:

I love roasted chickpeas! I love snacking on cinnamon ones as a snack :) so yum!

19. I live with the whooole fam :) my older sis has been in aussieland since Feb fo school, so I know how weird that can feel ( not having them around the house). I LOVE roasted chickpeas!!! I roast them in oil, paprika, salt, peppa, or sometimes cinnamon and brown sugar…so.so good!!

20. Devan says:

what a beautiful family!

21. Amy says:

I’ve tried roasted chickpeas twice before, and both times they came out tough on the outside and chalky inside. I don’t know why…:(

Grilling chickpeas sounds more down my alley though–definitely going to have to try that sometime!

22. Helen says:

I LOVE when you post savory meal pics and recipes!

23. Lenna says:

You and your sister have really lovely hair! Good genes probably? :)
    I love roasted chickpeas, but I love just anything made of/with chickpeas :)
    Me and my sister have already own living, but we return to our parent´s house every now and then…

1. Aww thanks! LOL I always say that she stole all the hair… she has so much! 😉

24. Hey Katie!! I made your blondies and blogged about them here!

Thanks so much! Much love!
    -KT

25. I love roasted chickpeas! I haven’t had them in a while though – thanks for the reminder! :)

26. I have never tried roasted chickpeas but will be making them ASAP now, thanks to you…. I really mean that; thanks for the idea. I don’t know why I never thought of doing that!
    I’m just betting the husband would think it was weird if I still lived with my sister, and my brother-in-law would think it would be even more crazy…. My sister and I would *LOVE* to still live together. The two of us and our husbands, awesome. I do love when we are all together like old times.

1. Aww you are so welcome :).

27. Lisa says:

Your so incredibly beautiful! Can I have your hair? :)

28. Jen says:

Yes, I’ve tried roasted chickpeas…and I’m obsessed with them. I love roasting them with different spices and flavorings. Sauteed chickpeas are also REALLY good. I love when they get hot, and their texture gets a little bit softer. Garbanzos are one of my favorite beans, hands down. They’re so versatile.

29. Amber K says:

Nope, I never have! In fact, I rarely roast everything because I have absolutely zero patience when it comes to waiting for food. If they could find a way to get that roasted flavor in 10 minutes or less, I’m there, lol :)

30. Katherine says:

I live with my brother and step-brother. I can’t wait till I get out though 😛

31. Ooohh I want to try roasted chickpeas! You look so pretty in that pic! I wish my hair grew fast :)

32. Nichole says:

My dad sometimes makes fried chickpeas with spinach and garlic. They’re soo good, and I imagine roasted chickpeas are similar. As for siblings, my older sister is 9 years older than me. She was in college when i was 10. How crazy is that? So i guess most of my ‘growing up’ years were spent feeling more like an only child. Now that I’m in college, living at home feels weird.

33. Leslie says:

Mmmm I have to make more of that ranch!
    Beuaitul photos, as always :).

34. Karen Faivre says:

Noooo, I’ve never roasted chickpeas but it’s on my list. They look so yummy. Thanks for sharing!

35. Michaela says:

you can definitely tell you are related 😉
    I am not living at home anymore, but my older brother has moved out before me, anyway. It was really strange at first. Sometimes I really miss it, other times I am glad of having my own space and peace 😉
    I made roasted chickpeas only the other day and people couldn´t stop eating them!

36. I LOVE roasted chickpeas! I made them for the first time a month or so back using a recipe from Eat Drink and Be Vegan. The recipe is on my blog, too.

I totally get what you mean about the house feeling weird when out of towners come home. My brother lives in Virginia now for Grad School and whenever he comes home it feels strange. A good strange, though!

37. Oc Ziegler says:

Yummm I gott try the caemel corn ones somehow!!
    You and your sister are both such gorgepus girls :)

1. If you experiment and figure it out, let me know! I’m working on it… but the first experiment was awful!

1. TinaBean says:

I now know after reading several of your recipes that you love using dates. Have you ever considered trying to melt them down in place of the brown sugar and corn syrup part of a caramel recipe? Mixed with a butter alternative, sea salt, and baking soda. Just a thought…

2. I’ve been working on a caramel recipe with dates… It needs work, but it’s getting there! :)

38. Angela says:

I don’t live with my siblings, but my sister lives right down the road from me.

I was just eating a salad with chickpeas and reading your blog about chickpeas. I just warmed mine in the microwave, but grilling or baking would be soooo much better I imagine. The caramel ones sound interesting.

39. I haven’t lived with my siblings for a long time. :-( I love it when we all get together.

I have a couple of recipes for roasted chickpeas on my blog. They are a perfect little snack!

40. I’ll have to give roasted chickpeas a second go–my first attempt, they were TOO hard and crunchy. As for caramel corn chickpeas, I had an idea, though considering desserts are your genius, you’ve probably already thought of it! Sometimes, I’ve found that dried dates taste like caramel . . . perhaps you’ve noticed that, too? Good luck! :)

1. LOL oh my gosh, great minds think alike… no joke, I actually have dates soaking as I type this!

41. I LOVE roasted chickpeas. Thanks for reminding me that I’ve not had any in over a year.

42. Ohh I haven’t tried roasted chickpeas but they sound good! I like the idea of them being a crunchy salad topping! I think Trader Joes sells them like that in a bag, but I bet they aren’t as good as making them yourself.

And it’s been a long time since I’ve lived with all my siblings! But I think that it just makes it more fun when we all get together! Feels like old times!

43. LizAshlee says:

I have tried them before…we used to eat them a lot actually..and they are great on salads or as a snack alone! I haven’t made them in such a long time though. I agree, too hot to turn on the oven!

Beautiful family photo! You & your sis are gorgeous! What type of work does she do? Does she like to create yummy treats like you?

My younger sis & I are super close…we both love reading blogs but she never looks for recipes like I do:)

Have a wonderful day!!

1. She is the EXACT opposite of me! Really! I’m a vegan… she works in a burger place! She’s worked there for a year after graduating from college, but now she’s looking for a real job.
      And she likes meat/protein more than carbs or chocolate. I do not know how we are related lol!

44. OH my! I’ve been wanting to try roasted chickpeas! Im obsessed with chickpeas!! Especially with all your dessert recipes using them, honestly I never knew I could do more with chickpeas then hummus :-p Thanks!

Alyssa

45. I love roasted chickpeas and I cannot even fathom putting the oven on in warm weather! I’m always grilling ridiculous things – hence the reason I made muffins on the grill. :)

46. You’re so right – Chickpeas are super addictive! These look wonderful! I made salt and vinegar roasted chickpeas once and they were a great alternative to salt and vinegar chips.

47. Jen says:

The first time I had fried chickpeas at a faux speak easy and they were the best thing I’ve ever eaten!!! I had to make them myself I just did canned chickpeas and tossed them with olive oil and some herbs and s&p! They are now a fav snack but I’ll have to try roasting them! It’s probably healthier!!

48. Freya says:

YES I love roasted chickpeas! I like coating them in maple sizzup and cocoa powder and cinnamon, then roasting – it’s like dessert popcorn 😀
    My sister actually officially mvoes out on Sunday, but she’s barely been here the past 3 years anyway! I like it better this way, we don’t get along..

49. Juliet says:

I don’t live with my siblings anymore- I was the older sister who moved out first! And I have not yet tried roasted chickpeas… which is surprising, seeing as they are one of my favorite foods! I need to work on that!

50. It’s been nearly 7 years since all three of my brothers and myself lived under one roof (and we are all under 25 years of age). And now our lives are literally sprawled out all over the globe so we very very rarely get to all be together. Last year it didn’t even happen once! It’s sad but makes the few times we do very special.