Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Chickpea Poppers

Full House.

For seventeen years, our household consisted of four people: Dad, Mom, Katie, and Michelle. Initially, it felt strange when my sister and I went off to college after so many years living in the same family unit. Now, however, it feels strange when we’re all back together under one roof! Strange, but wonderful. It’s especially nice to sit down to a family dinner again, just like old times. We took advantage the other night. My sister made the dinner, and I was in charge of salad and sides (grilled veggies).

Above, a salad tossed with Crazy-Good Ranch Dressing.

That dressing is so good! I’m running out of things to put it on, having already tried pasta, salad, bulgur, steamed veggies, and roast veggies. The other day I made a really delicious bowl of random leftovers: roast cauliflower and baby bellas, fresh corn, and the ranch, all mixed up.

I’d planned to roast the chickpeas, but I just couldn’t fathom the idea of turning on the oven when it was 105 degrees outside. So I grilled them. Always a rebel.

The chickpeas went into our salads too. They made for a nice, crunchy alternative to croutons.

Chickpea Poppers

Found here: Recipes with Beans

• 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 1/8 tsp salt, or to taste
  • oil or oil spray
  • seasonings of choice (I used paprika and curry powder, but ginger or cinnamon would also be nice. Or you could even go sweet: try coconut oil, cinnamon, and perhaps even some sugar or stevia.)

Rinse and drain your chickpeas, then dry with a towel. Mix with a little oil or spray, then toss with your seasonings (optional: you can also add a little flour if desired). To grill, you can use a panini press, a griddle, or a grill pan right over your grill.

Alternatively, you can roast these in a 400-degree oven, for 30-40 minutes, tossing every ten minutes. Optional: make ’em twice as addictive by tossing them in Healthy Ranch Dressing.

Questions of the Day:

Do you still live with all your siblings?

It’s weird for me to think about the fact that it’s been six years since our family lived all together like when we were growing up.

Tags: , , , , ,

1. Emily says:

Carmel corn chick peas is such a good idea!!!!
    My older siblings and I are 11 years apart so we don’t see each other a lot but when we do, it’s always exciting. I don’t know what I’d do if I was an only child!

2. Stefanie says:

You look like your sister. 🙂 I have never roasted chickpeas because I always forget to when I have some chickpeas handy. Grilling them sounds good. My brothers have moved out and I am moving back in to my parents house. It is nice to have a choice of bedrooms since they won’t be moving back in any time soon. 😉

3. Emma says:

Oh my gosh, you are SO beautiful!!!

And also, I cannot WAIT for the caramel corn chickpeas!!!

4. Tricia says:

sounds good! Just got a can of chickpeas so you know what I’ll be doing soon 🙂

5. Love roasted chickpeas! Delish! I usually just buy the processed flavoured ones from the supermarkets and they are good. 😀

6. Lisa Fine says:

I love roasted chickpeas!

Our friends made them for us one winter night while we were waiting for our dinner to finish cooking. They made a perfect, popcorn-like snack, and they’re really good with some nutritional yeast.

I haven’t lived with my sister since high school, but I’m lucky enough to see her at least every month, and we go on an annual trip to Disney World each year. 🙂

7. I LOVE roasted chickpeas! I made some Indian-spiced a couple of months ago and used them in a salad with cantaloupe – the flavor combo was incredible: .

Can’t wait for your Caramel Corn version!

8. Jenny says:

Yes, I’ve roasted chickpeas many, many times! There are some really good “recipes” (really just seasoning ideas) for roasted chickpeas over at “Peas & Thank You”! I love, love, love roasting them with Indian spices or smoked paprika. I’ve tried them with “sweet” seasonings, but really prefer them as a savory snack or salad topper.

My brother’s studying in Singapore, and he’d NEVER come back to Canada, where I’m studying… Haha, when my family gets together, it’s usually somewhere in the middle of all of the places we live, like in Europe! Equal traveling time for each of us is only fair…

Lovely picture of you, your sister and your father! Smiles all around~ 🙂 You can definitely see some similarities between you and your sister, but you both also have such healthy looking hair!

1. Haha I can understand… Singapore is just so beautiful and warm! (And clean!) Who’d want to leave?
      And hey, meeting up in Europe doesn’t sound too bad ;).

9. vogelstar says:

mmm I have made these and love them. And I truly believe caramel chickpeas will be good. In middle eastern groceries, you can buy candy coated dry chickpeas. The mix of the sweet and salty work very well with these little guys.

10. I have been loving Chickpeas lately – they are so good. I like to roast them and top with balsamic reduction – delicious!

11. Leslie Paquette says:

I love roasted chickpeas! Good idea to put them in a grill pan, I’ll have to try that.

12. tea-bag says:

i LOVE roasted chickpeas! i like to vary the spices to make them sweet or savory but my fav is a mix of indian spices! i’ve never tried them grilled, though – awesome!

13. Jennifer JCD says:

LOVE the photo of you, your Dad, and your sister!! Adorable!

Mmm… roasted chickpeas make an awesome snack!! So glad you had the chance to try them. Yummy!

It’s been a long time since my family has lived together, and thankfully we all live in the same part of the town in which I grew up, so we get together a lot for dinners or play games. It’s nice having family just a quick bike ride away. Daaaddddyyy… the lock on our patio door isn’t working, can you fix it? And sure enough he comes over to do it. hehehe… I love having family so close. 🙂

14. Gen says:

Yum!!!!! I need to try these out!

15. Rebecca says:

I love roasted chickpeas! I had kind of forgotten about them, so thanks for the reminder! I’ve made them with a chili powder and cumin spice combo.

16. I’ve tried roasted chickpeas before and they are the bomb! Last time I made them I tossed them with a few tablespoons of buffalo sauce after roasting…yum! 😀

17. Sam says:

Roasted chickpeas are awesome! I bet grilled would be really fun too, gotta try that. Right now I live with my boyfriend, my brother still lives at home with mom and dad!

18. I live with the whooole fam 🙂 my older sis has been in aussieland since Feb fo school, so I know how weird that can feel ( not having them around the house). I LOVE roasted chickpeas!!! I roast them in oil, paprika, salt, peppa, or sometimes cinnamon and brown sugar… good!!

19. Amy says:

I’ve tried roasted chickpeas twice before, and both times they came out tough on the outside and chalky inside. I don’t know why…:(

Grilling chickpeas sounds more down my alley though–definitely going to have to try that sometime!

20. Helen says:

I LOVE when you post savory meal pics and recipes!