Red, White, and Blueberries!

I’m terrible at making decisions.

So when I tried to decide which recipes to include in my Fourth of July post, I had no idea where to start. Basically any dessert recipe could be good for a Fourth of July party, right?

Well, maybe not the Cake Batter Ice Cream.

To simplify things, I’m choosing to highlight only recipes with either red or blue berries. And you can add the other colored berry (as well as non-dairy ice cream or whipped cream) to complete the patriotic look.

sberry-cake1

Single-Serving Strawberry Shortcakes

Just swap some of the strawberries with blueberries, and voila! A patriotic cupcake for one. (Alternatively, you can make multiple cupcakes and sub all blueberries in some of them.)

berryrasp

Chocolate-Raspberry Bites

Make one batch with raspberries. Then make another batch, subbing an equal amount of blueberries for the raspberries called for in the recipe.

berry1

Blueberry Muffin in a Bowl

Once again, just add some strawberries or raspberries for red, white, and blue oatmeal.

bvc

Chocolate-Blueberry Cupcakes

Ice with red frosting, or white frosting and red+blue sprinkles

blueberry-m

Blueberry Pie Pancakes

I actually have a strawberry shortcake version of this too! I just haven’t gotten a chance to post it yet. The recipe is very similar, but if you need more specifics, feel free to ask and I can write it out quickly in a comment.

wcream1_thumb23

Healthy Whipped Cream

Okay, so I cheated with this one. It doesn’t have any berries. But you need something white to go with all that blue and red. Besides, this stuff tastes incredible when poured over fresh berries.

1. Tricia says:

My coach wanted me to run in a 5k on the fourth of July, but i don’t think my shins are up to it lol (even though the woman’s first place runner gets 100 bucks) so instead I’m gonna spend it with my dad, watching fireworks and possibly having a bonfire.
    Those look amazing. I’m so happy that we recently got some raspberries so maybe I’ll make that raspberry fudge of yours.
    Have fun at your party 🙂

2. I love your single-serving strawberry shortcakes. These are all great! I hope I have some time to make them this weekend.

Nothing too exciting here for the 4th. Just enjoying living in NYC with an extra day off work 😉

3. Eric Jaffa says:

Regarding your Tweet, “Seriously, how is a serving of cereal 1/2 cup? Who eats that???”

When I’m on a diet, I may follow the serving size on a box of cold cereal. It’s one of my least favorite things about dieting.

Otherwise, I generally eat half-a-box in one sitting.

4. tea-bag says:

we’re having a bbq & i’m making dessert – probably one of the bean filled cookies or brownies! (i want to see if anyone notices!)

5. I’m making caramel chocolate brownies <—Not healthy BUT I'm going to wear red stripes to a bbq 🙂 To make up for the unhealthy brownies I made spaghetti squash for dinner tonight with portabello tomato sauce. So tasty!

6. Sarah C says:

I’m supposed to bring an appetizer. But now that I see your post, I really wish I was bringing dessert!

7. Happy Fourth of July!

I’m definitely seeing fireworks, and probably eating a Strawberry Shortcake for One, I can’t get enough!

8. Leslie says:

I’m bringing an Amy’s Bistro Burger to a barbecue. Oh, and I’m making your Deep-Dish Cookie Pie!!! 🙂 🙂

9. Jenny says:

Canada Day today… so Happy Canada Day! (Hailing from Vancouver, BC. West Coast represent~!) 🙂

My friends and I are going out to watch a parade, attend a free pancake “breakfast” (actually brunch, in my opinion), and part-take in a whole bunch of fun activities that are being held around Vancouver. Of course, we’re going to try to watch the fireworks tonight, too! It’s going to be awesome… Thus far, I’ve just celebrated food-wise with some of OhSheGlows.com’s “V’Oh Canada Day” oats. Deeelicious.

Off I go to enjoy the rest of my day… I hope your Fourth of July will be as great as my Canada Day is going to be! Have a great Friday~

10. Barb says:

I made your deep-dish cookie pie for my bbq this weekend!

11. I’m making a trip out to the island I used to work on in the summers to visit friends. The 4th out there is insane!!! Parade, fireworks, so many people, bonfires, bars. It’s gonna be so much fun!

12. Gen says:

Great recipes!!!!!!! 😀 We’re probably going to do something small here at home!

13. Amy says:

Today is Canada Day for me!
    I’m going to the beach with my family and eating a veggie burger and cucumber salad!
    Hope you have a good Independence Day Katie!:)

14. Mellie says:

I’m going to my aunt’s house and we’re going to watch fireworks and probably grill something. And my mom was thinking about making pies in a jar.

15. We celebrate national day and the highlight is always the parade! Oh, and the gigantic display of fireworks at night! That’s pretty cool. But most of the time, its really a day of rest from school/work to appreciate our tiny country. Really love how you guys celebrate the 4th of July! Sounds reeeaaallly fun. Wish I were there to experience the strong American spirit 😀

16. Jess says:

I’m going (hopefully) kayaking! I’ve never been and I’m super excited. Maybe we’ll bring patriotic snacks with us to enjoy at the park 🙂

17. I have to travel for a dr’s appointment. Yuck, not the way to spend the 4th. Oh well, maybe I’ll make one of these to brighten my day and eat on the road! 🙂

18. Allie says:

Hi Katie,
    I am actually going to make your blondies for 4th of July! I’ve been meaning to try them forever, and this is the perfect excuse. Wish me luck!

19. im so excited to celebrate my FIRST EVER 4th of july!! since im in the US itll be the FIRST time.. i wonder what ppl do!?!?

20. I think I’m just hanging out with some friends. Nothing too elaborate, but that’s how I like it 😀