Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Patriotic Cookie Dough Balls

Cookie Dough Balls coming atcha!

Full speed ahead.

Chefs in Training

Last Friday, I once again babysat for the two little girls I mentioned a few posts back. I love babysitting for them, and I never thought I’d say that because babysitting has never been my favorite thing. But these girls are just so much fun. It’s not like work at all; it’s more like hanging out with my friends.

On Friday night, we made Cookie Dough Balls.

The recipe is so simple that I was curious as to just how much time it takes, from start to finish. So I set a timer. Including baking time, the cookies were done in ten minutes flat! Of course, I did have two of the world’s greatest helpers. Yesterday, the girls’ mom informed me that I’ve created a monster (or rather two monsters). Apparently they spent all day in the kitchen, making cookie dough balls!

The recipe is the same as my Funfetti cookie dough balls. But I’m posting it again below for your convenience, so you don’t have to click over.

Patriotic Cookie Dough Balls

Based off the recipe for Single-Lady Cookies.

• 5 level teaspoons oat flour or white flour (18g)
  • scant 1/16th tsp baking soda
  • 1/16th tsp salt (less if using margarine)
  • 2 tsp oil or pre-melted margarine (can do a fat-free version, but they’ll be cake-ier)
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1-2 tsp sprinkles
  • 12 or so chocolate chips (or raisins, nuts, etc)
  • sweetener (My testers liked 1 tsp brown + 1 tsp white sugar. Xylitol works too.)
  • 1 tsp milk of choice, or as needed (Don’t use water.)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Combine dry ingredients, then add wet and mix with a fork. Form into three little balls (Do not smush.) Cook for 8-9 minutes. (Take out when still a bit undercooked, so they don’t get hard.) If not eating right away, store in a lidded plastic container to keep soft.

patriotic cookies

Question of the Day:

Did you like to cook when you were a kid?

I did! One of the first “recipes” I ever created was some type of bean soup. My poor family… I made them eat multiple bowls of my soup every day.

I also liked making: 3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Balls.

Tags: , , , ,

1. tea-bag says:

i loved to cook when i was a kid! i remember making cream puffs, homemade fortune cookies, and pot roasts when i was little! it was always so much fun to experiment with new recipes – it’s like a science lab in your home!

2. Claire says:

Oh those cookies DO look like they were fun to photograph. And fun to eat as well!

By the way, just wondering do you ever look at the Foodgawker “most gawked” list? If you don’t, you should because there are like FIVE of your photos on there lol.

Just thought I should tell you in case you’ve never looked there :).

1. Claire says:

Oh yeah, and I had an Easy Bake oven when I was younger. I LOVED it! Made all sorts of brownies and cakes in there. I thought I’d be a pastry chef when I grew up.

1. Wow, thanks Claire! I hadn’t realized that 🙂 :). I never remember to check that page. Thanks for the reminder… it made me smile!

3. I love you patriotic cookie balls!

When I was a kid I made brownies and peanut butter cookies like it was my job. There are a million pics of me literally licking bowls clean. 🙂

4. I loved cooking when I was a kid. The first time I cooked was when I was 8. After a few months of watching my mum cook at her side, on my mum’s birthday, I cooked her some eggs with chives… and added too much soy sauce. To balance out the saltiness, I made my 6 year old brother chop up some toast and also the eggs and I mixed them up in a bowl. My mum pretended that it tasted good. Thinking back, it must have been rather gross.

You must teach those girls how to bake your recipes! They’ll thank you when they are older 😀

5. Leslie says:

That first photo looks like a shooting star. A shooting star of cookies! Or a rocket ship. YUMMY!

6. My family officially hates rice krispie squares because I made them so often haha. These looks delish though! very patriotic 🙂

7. Lisa says:

So cute! I love the first picture! And I agree with another commenter that I want you to come babysit me and make me all your chocolate creations :).

8. I used to like cooking with my grandma. We would make our family’s birthday cakes together. I pretty much learned everything from her. I hope that I become half the cook/baker that she is. I’ve never tasted anything from her kitchen that wasn’t amazing–even when she admittedly goofs the recipe!

1. I think grandmas aren’t allowed to make anything that doesn’t taste incredible… the only times I’ve tasted something bad that my grandma made were when she tried to “improve” her already-perfect recipes! We have to keep telling her not to mess with perfection!

1. I don’t know about that… when I was in middle school my sister and I asked my grandma if she would help us make some cookies. She made VEGETABLE cookies and they were awful. Like seriously, it was an actual recipe with sugar + vegetables. We never asked her to make cookies again!

9. I wish I had a babysitter like you when I was younger! 😛

10. LOVED cooking when I was a kid! We cooked all the time and I was sooooooo disappointed that my mom would never get me an easy bake oven like all of the other girls. (we used a real oven…. hahaha) SO, she bought me one for my bridal shower as a joke!

1. Oh my gosh, that’s hilarious! Your mom would be good friends with mine… she bought me a remote-control car for my 16th birthday!

11. I didn’t cook a whole lot as a kid, but I’m sure making up for that now!

12. Lilly says:

awww that is adorable! I used to make my best friend play “cooking show” in my kitchen for hours making all types of stuff that I then made my mom eat, water and lemon soup with flower petals was my specialty, ummm.. yumm?

13. Sarah says:

I loved cooking as a kid 🙂 I used to make spaghetti & meatballs like it was my job.

14. Sarah C says:

I want you to come babysit for me!
    When I was little, I liked to cook. But only desserts :).

15. Jenny says:

I didn’t like cooking when I was little, but baking? Love love loved it! I was even good and didn’t eat cookie dough when we would make cookies, and didn’t lick the batter when making cake or muffins or cupcakes, or anything! That’s probably the only reason my mom let me help her bake, haha. I was scared of kitchen knives though so I never actually started chopping veggies by myself until I was 14 or so! 😛

Those cookie dough balls are adorable… Love the photography here as well! Gorgeous lighting and very nice food styling, what with the blue-checkered backdrop + star decorations. Looks like you’re in for an amazing [and delicious] fourth of July tomorrow!

Enjoy the rest of your long weekend. 🙂

16. Amber K says:

Not at all! I never liked to cook. I don’t even really like to do it now. I like trying new recipes, but the actual process isn’t my fave. Especially if I’m hungry, lol!

1. That is EXACTLY how I feel! I really don’t like to cook! I love dreaming up recipes, but I’d REALLY like it if I had a personal chef to actually make the recipes I created in my mind :).

1. Amber K says:

That would be perfect! Ahh a personal chef that I could say “hey try this, with this and this…..yeah let me know when it’s ready!” LOL

17. hippierunner says:

These cookie dough balls are so adorable and perfect for the holiday! Awesome job Katie! 🙂

1. hippierunner says:

I just wrote the recipe down. It will come in handy because my boyfriend likes cookies but I hate making a whole batch because then he wants to eat them alll lol! Muahaha now I can be like yup, that’s all I made, go crazy!

18. Tara says:

My babysitters were never that fun! Actually, I always cried when they came.

I can’t say I was a little chef — unless you count seperating cookie dough blocks — but I loved to make menus! I would go onto microsoft word and design my own restaurants. The menu was pretty much always chicken nuggets, fries, and a chocolate chip cookie, but I wasn’t too creative.

19. Aja says:

That’s adorable. I always get lucky and babysit the sweetest kids. They’re too young to bake with, though. I always loved baking as a kid. Whenever I’d got to my omi’s we’d make cookies and cakes and all kinds of things.

20. I love babysitting the one girl I usually babysit for because I’ve literally watched her grow up. It’s fun to bake together also, but we usually stick to slice and bake because her attention span isn’t quite there yet lol. I actually didn’t like to bake too much growing up. Me and my friends used to make cooking shows on the video camera though, with boxed cake and the like!