Never Ending Oatmeal Bowl

chia seed oatmeal recipe

When I first tried chia seeds (in the form of chia pudding), I wasn’t a fan. I wanted to like them: they’re so good for you. But eating something just because it’s good for you?

Ridiculous!

You don’t have to suffer for health.

If you aren’t big on a certain food, there are plenty of ways to get all your nutrients somewhere else. For example, my sister hates bananas. So she gets her potassium from foods she does like, such as yams, spinach, and broccoli. No big deal. Remember that mental health is an important component to overall health, too. If you’re choking down foods you detest, your mental health will suffer.

Going back to the chia… Although I didn’t like the pudding, I was willing to give the seeds a second chance. Perhaps I’d enjoy them in a different form. After all, everyone in the blogworld seems to adore them. So when the Health Warrior Company offered me some samples, I accepted.

giant bowl of oatmeal

And I discovered that I do like chia seeds. They are awesome in oatmeal!

Never-Ending Oatmeal Bowl

(serves 1)

• 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 2 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1 1/2 cups milk of choice
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup more milk of choice
  • sweetener and add-ins of choice

Either cook oats, milk, and salt on the stovetop, or place your oats and salt in a large, microwaveable dish (I use a pyrex 4-cup measurer) with the milk of choice. Microwave 1 and 1/2 minutes, then add your chia and 1/2 cup more liquid. Microwave 2 more minutes. Don’t open the microwave door yet. Instead, leave your mixture for five minutes. Then stir and put in the fridge—uncovered—overnight. Next day, it will magically be thick and ready for your favorite add-ins!

For sweetener, try using The Melted Banana Trick.

Also, I really like to put the cooked oatmeal in my Magic Bullet and blend just a little. This “blended grains” trick really helps all the flavors to meld together.

chia oats

Do you ever eat foods you don’t really like, just because they’re good for you?
Or do you ever feel pressured to eat a certain food because other bloggers like it? We are all different and our bodies crave different things (and amounts). We should NOT base our food choices on what anyone else is eating. It’d be really weird (not to mention boring) if we were all exactly the same.

This is one of the main reasons I’m not planning on doing another “day in the life” post even though a lot of readers have asked. I don’t feel comfortable knowing others will compare their eating habits to mine or try to mimic what I eat. The way I eat is only perfect for me. You need to listen to your own body, not to what anyone around you is doing.

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. I’ve been wanting to like them too, but can’t stand the chia pudding (it never pudding-izes for me)! I agree that they’re great in oats though!

2. VEGirl says:

GOOOOOOOOO KATIE!!!

Thank you for this :). I’m so glad that the blogworld has been raising this issue more. I don’t necessarily feel pressured into eating certain foods, as much as eating certain amounts. I think blogs were/are a great resource (for me, who knew that eating smaller, more frequent meals would clear up a lot of my digestion issues? I didn’t do it because I “had to” really, but becuase I was curious to try it. And it worked… FOR ME!).

I sometimes feel like my posts have to reflect the ideal me or show me indulging to show I don’t fall into the comparison blog trap. But I am not ideal, and I compare, too! There is a fine line between setting a good example and not making your life miserable doing so.

3. I totally agree that you shouldn’t make yourself eat something you don’t like (though I’m telling you – my peach chia pudding is realllly good! :) ). There is way too much good food in the world to force something down – there are other ways of getting nutrients. Nothing in the world will get me to eat cauliflower. The. End.

P.S. This just made me think of my mom saying “If everyone was jumping off a bridge, would YOU?”

4. Lisa Fine says:

That’s such a good point. I love blogging [and food blogs] because I find out about lots of interesting, new foods. But I also never force myself to eat something I don’t like.

On another note, my partner often mentions how he doesn’t get the food combinations I make. Some things I like to eat may be strange, but if I find them delicious, so be it.

5. I have been trying eggplant time and time again because I read that they are super-healthy. But I never liked it! I don’t really feel pressured to eat a certain food other bloggers like. Mostly, its because I can’t (because its not available) or I’ve tried it and did not like it. Hehe.

I’ve never ever had chia seeds before or even seen the real thing! Its only available at organic shops in Singapore. Looks great though! 😀

6. LOVE this post!…. Why do we judge ourselves so much? I don’t know but it seems so easy to get down on yourself, especially with all the awesome bloggers out there! It is important to BE YOURSELF! Thank you for the reminder!

7. Mellie says:

I agree, you shouldn’t eat things if they don’t taste good just cause they’re healthy! And I don’t like avocados either, yuck!

1. Haha I’m so glad I’m not the only one!

8. teabagginit says:

i so tried to love/force down avocados because i know they’re so good for you, but i just can’t! i naturally don’t like fat-containing foods, so i have to make sure to include good fats like sardines, salmon, and walnuts just to meet my macro reqs!

9. Pureglow*16 says:

LOVE THIS so much. You were probably SO right on everything you said about the blogger peer pressures. I’m pretty sure everyone has somehow gotten caught up in that b4! Weird all the little issues that can happen in the BLOG world right? haha. Its so important to listen to YOUR body because what other peoples bodies need may be COMPLETELY different!!

Also I was going to ask you if you have ever used sunwarrior protein powders?

1. I haven’t! I am so intrigued to try them, because I’ve NEVER seen any blogger post a bad review… but I am cheap and lazy and therefore have never ordered a giant tub online. I don’t think I’ve actually had ANY protein powder in about a year.
      Someday I’ll have to try it, though! :)

2. Holly @ The Runny Egg says:

The only “negative” review of Sunwarrior that I have seen is on Edible Perspective — I think she said it was chalky?

And I thought this post from Peas and Thank You was a good review of other protein powder options: http://peasandthankyou.com/2011/05/17/protein-power/

1. Thanks, Holly, my avocado-loving friend :).

10. Louise says:

I’m intrigued as to what you might suggest for breakfast if you don’t enjoy oatmeal.

Personally I only enjoy a few combinations and I get bored quite quickly with them if I eat them constantly so I’m wondering what you would suggest for another breakfast – cold please, I can’t eat hot food in the morning!

1. Hey Louise!

Oh gosh, there are tons of things you can still eat! :)
      The #1 thing that comes to my mind is pancakes! But also, any of my healthy milkshakes: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/chocolate-covered-recipes/milkshakes/
      Or muffins, waffles, cold cereal, french toast, or even my healthy ice cream recipes. (Haha I’ve done it before!)
      Or even banana bread in a bowl: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2007/10/15/abc-another-breakfast-creation/
      I could go on and on… I love breakfast :).

11. Sometimes I really want to like foods that everyone else likes. My struggle is eggplant – it s such a common vegetarian option at restaurants, but I just can’t get on board with it!!

1. I have a love/hate relationship with eggplant. Some days I love it, others I hate its texture… I think it also depends on the eggplant. You can get a really ripe, yummy one, or a really chewy, icky one!

1. Nathalie says:

Have you ever tried the small Japanese eggplants? They’re sweet enough to eat raw, whereas the typical (huge) ones you can get in the states are quite bitter.

12. Thanks for this post! I loved it. I went through that with my blog, the whole, I have to eat what other people are eating. And you were right, it didn’t work out. My blog felt fake. So I started eating and posting what I wanted to, and it’s sooooo much better. p.s.- that oatmeal looks soo good! I’m so glad it’s summer and fresh fruit and berries are in abundance.

13. Leslie Paquette says:

Awesome post! I agree that you shouldn’t eat foods you don’t enjoy just because they are healthy. Easy for me to say though because I like pretty much everything :) They are so many foods out there that you should certainly eat the ones you enjoy. The “right” food choices for one individual may be completely different from another. I use other bloggers diets only as ideas for myself. I may try eating a certain food for breakfast and then decide I’m not enjoying it or it’s not keeping me full long enough and try eating something else. I love all of the recipe ideas on all of the blogs because they help add so much variation to my diet. Regarding chia seeds- I love them. I use them mostly in overnight oats or chia pudding but I’ve also added them to baked goods, pancakes, granola bars etc for a little extra nutritional boost.

1. I want to experiment with them in baked goods… I know you can even use them to replace eggs in recipes, but I’ve never actually tried it! 😕

14. Jennifer says:

Thanks for this great post! I have always hated dairy milk. I didn’t like the look, taste, or smell of it. However, when I was a kid, my mother insisted upon buying it and insisted that at least occasionally I drink it or put some in my cereal (which I ultimately stopped eating entirely) because she claimed that I “needed calcium.” One day, she was complaining to a doctor that I did not ever drink milk. He looked at her and said, “Ma’am, your daughter is not a baby cow. Milk is for baby cows not humans. If she doesn’t want to drink it don’t make her.” :)

Recently, I discovered almond milk and coconut milk, which taste much better and are fortified with more calcium anyway.

1. LOL Oh I wish your doctor had been mine! I was the same way. My mom had to put chocolate in my milk in order for me to drink it. I would NOT drink plain milk, and she was so afraid I wouldn’t get enough calcium.

15. I lurrve chia seeds and have been making your oats with them for a while then waking up to amazing overnight oats in the morning! I think your totally right, if you love things like broccoli then thats great but whats the point in eating (or doing) something you don’t love, even for the sake of health? I think good food should nourish your soul as well as your body, something that can certainly be said for your amazing recipes!

16. Jenny says:

I second Leslie’s very first words: Awesome [awesome awesome awesome] post! I’m jumping on what I’m sure will be a huge bandwagon of people agreeing that YES, you’re absolutely right – in my opinion – about not forcing ourselves to choke down foods that we don’t like, merely because they’re touted as healthy or superfoods. I never eat foods that I hate just because they’re healthy, and similarly I most certainly don’t fight allergies in order to eat some of the healthiest foods in the world (coconut oil or butter, eggs…).

I used to feel pressured to eat like bloggers, until I noticed that a common theme amongst the blogs was that the bloggers’ opinions seemed to all say one thing: “To each their own”. And it’s not like all the food bloggers eat alike, anyway! So I spent less/no time copying bloggers and more time finding what works specifically for me… and it’s done wonders. :)

Thank you thank you thank you for bringing this topic up! It’s great to be reminded that we shouldn’t ignore our preferences and enjoyment of life, and that there are numerous ways to get nutrients from other foods. As for chia seeds… I love ’em! It’s fun to take advantage of their ability to expand, of course, but I have to admit that I also love sprinkling them on stuff. Makes food look so pretty!

Have a great Thursday~!

1. Aw, I’m so glad you liked the post! I just feel like there is a reason a person doesn’t like a particular food. Ya know? Like, maybe their dislike is their body’s way of saying, “This isn’t good for me, personally.” I always think it is so funny how we can be so different. For example, you could not make my grandpa’s food spicy enough… yet my mom (his daughter) hates ALL spicy food!

17. Laura says:

“life is too short to eat food you don’t absolutely love”
    Keep in mind this is a really privileged stance. Not everyone can afford the cost in time or in money to eat only foods they love.

1. Yeah, I guess that’s true. Thanks for bringing this up. You’re right that food is nourishment first and foremost for many people in the world, and they don’t have the luxury of choosing what they want to eat. I didn’t mean for my post to sound elitist :(.
      But if you ARE lucky enough to have a choice, don’t waste it!

18. THANK YOU, for saying that we are all different and that our bodies requires different amounts of food. When I first entered the blogging world I would compare myself for just about every food/health blogger out there. Then I realized that my body may need more/less food depending on the day, or my cravings or how tall I am etc. Being healthy is a state of mind and feeling good about yourself, not how much you eat compared to someone else=)

1. So true! I always marvel at how little my sister eats (probably half of what I eat)… and yet she is perfectly healthy too!

19. My eating style is different from a lot of bloggers simply by virtue of my schedule. I eat a lot of leftovers because I cook at the beginning of the week. And I definitely only eat things I enjoy! Life’s too short. I’m glad you found a way to get your chia in!

20. Pam says:

What kind/brand of chia seeds did you use and where did you buy them? I used them once. I forget what kind I bought. But I could never get good results from them.

1. As I wrote in the post, I received them from a company called Health Warrior. But I think you can buy them in the bulk section of most health-food stores.