Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Comfort Stew

Union Square Farmer’s Market!

Oh my gosh, I could move in. At Union Square, one can find everything from organic kale to juicy strawberries to… purple basil?! If only I lived in New York and therefore had a use for the incredible array of fresh vegetables and fruits at the market.

After browsing, Jess and I got dinner at Souen.

Souen, a macrobiotic establishment, is one of my favorite restaurants in the city for its serene environment and nourishing, comforting food. However, it is important to go to the one at University Place. I’ve dined at their Soho location, and its ambiance just does not compare!

I ordered what I always order at Souen: the kuzu stew, which boasts broccoli, cauliflower, nappa cabbage, kale, snow peas, shiitake, and onion in a ginger-tamari broth.

This is not your average soup.

The kuzu is used as a thickener, so it basically tastes like you’re eating a huge bowl of veggies smothered in thick gravy!

souen bento

Feeling adventurous, Jessica went with the bento box.

She decided it would be a good detox from her Crumbs cupcake! The bento featured: brown rice, hijiki seaweed, steamed veggies, marinated burdock in miso paste, tofu okabe, and pickled radishes. It also came with miso soup. The bento definitely wasn’t something I’d order. That’s the fun thing about different people: we all have unique tastes. Both of us were thrilled with our choice of dinners.

I wish Souen would open in Texas.

But at least I have my own Homemade Kuzu Stew.

Later in the hotel, I broke into a new chocolate bar. Unfortunately it was awful! It tasted like I was eating flowers. In the bar’s defense, it was lavender-flavored. What did I expect?

I quickly switched to my favorite.

1. lindsay says:

oh wow, those both look good. But comfort in a bowl is the best way to go!

2. Molly says:

I’ve always wanted to try lavender chocolate… hmm but flowers haven’t always been my favorite to eat (haha)… maybe I’ll skip it!

3. Eric Jaffa says:

Whether a person should live in NYC involves how that person feels about crowds.

It’s one thing to be pushed against other people on the subway during a one-week visit and not mind.

But would you mind if for years you were pushed against other people twice-a-day in the subway?

4. Lavendar flavored chocolate? Hmmmm..where did you buy it?

5. Albizia says:

I have eating lavender chocolate only once but it didn’t taste like flowers. Maybe the guys from Lindt do it better 🙂 . It was dark chocolate with lavender and blueberries. Amazing!

I wonder if they put sugar in the NYC hijiki too. This thing has a big potential but the Japanese love for sugar ruins it.

6. Kelly says:

I’ve been wanting to try the Antidote chocolate, disappointing to hear that you did not like the lavender flavor. My favorite raw chocolate (and chocolate of all time) is Fine & Raw Cacao & Coconut (at Organic Avenue in NYC). Check it out if you’re near one!

Souen is a regular haunt for me – love the Macro plate!

1. Oh my gosh, I will definitely keep an eye out for it. That sounds SO good!

7. Erika K says:

I am LOVING this two posts a day thing. I’m sure I can’t be the only one? You rock, CCK! 🙂 🙂

1. Sarahishealthy says:

8. That farmer’s market sounds HEAVENLY!! And so does your dinner. I just HAVE to visit NYC sometime.

9. That stew looks so creative; out of the box for me! …Flowers + Chocolate = AMAZING; however Flowers IN chocolate = probably not my thing… HA! 😛

10. VeggieGirl says:

Union Square Greenmarket is DEFINITELY my favorite!

11. I love that you travel with chocolate bars! My friend once bought the lavender kind as well but really liked it! I can’t imagine what it tastes like but not sure I want to know.

12. That stew does look fabulous. Plus the way you described it “veggies smothered in a thick gravy” makes me want it even more. I have a weakness for gravy! 😀
    Glad you’re having a fun time in New York, Katie!

13. Kristina says:

Who came up with lavender flavored chocolate? Such a weird idea!

1. Sarahishealthy says:

Ha! Probably the same person who came up with purple ketchup a few years back! Weird weird weird!

14. Ohmigosh, a farmer’s market! I’m jealous. I have purple basil in my garden, though; it’s a lot milder than regular basil. I wish we had restaurants like that here–that would be amazing. There isn’t a single good restaurant in this town, not to mention a vegetarian or vegan one. I’m definitely going to have to try to replicate that delicious-looking stew. I also want to get a nice, decorative asian-style soup bowl like that, with one of those cool spoons. 🙂
    Continue to have an awesome New York trip! I’m loving reading about it! 😉

1. Sarahishealthy says:

I’ve never heard of purple basil. It sounds really fun!

15. I LOVE chocolate 🙂 Just had a little dark choco 😉

16. I have never been a fan of lavender flavored chocolate. If food was supposed to taste like flowers, I’d just eat the flowers. Your lunch looks delish!

17. L. says:

Mmm good call. I would’ve gone with the stew too. I don’t know what burdock is, though!

18. Anonymous says:

Lavender Flavored Chocolate! Lavender flavored cookies maybe, but not chocolate. However the stew thingy looked delish! Mmmm…. 🙂

19. Ann Claire says:

Your stew looks so yummy! And that Farmer’s Market sounds amazing!

20. Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga says:

I am the same way on flavored chocolate…no thanks. Original, pure, dark…that’s what I want!

Again, LOVE the real life posts.

The bento box…Too cute!

And yes, ambiance TOTALLY counts for something in a restaurant. Actually, it counts for a lot. If it’s not right, the food never tastes as good 🙂

1. Sarahishealthy says:

Agreed! Chocolate purists unite. I knew I liked you, Averie :).

(Dunno if I’ve ever commented on your blog, but I do read it!)