Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Healthy Makeover: Ice Cream Bon Bons

Engulfed in a chocolate shell.

Making bon bons may seem intimidating, but this recipe is really so simple. There are only three ingredients! And did I mention the filling is engulfed in chocolate?

Engulf: to swallow up or immerse.

I like that word when associated with chocolate. Being engulfed in chocolate is never a bad thing!

chocolate banana bon bons

Everything’s cuter in a ball.

Take, for example, the fudge babies.

Or my no-bake Three-Ingredient Peanut Butter Balls.

(Those things are awesome. I need to make them again!)

And then there’s Henry. He’s such a cutie when he’s squished up and sleeping in a ball. Making him even more adorable? He doesn’t snore, but sometimes he makes a beeping sound while he sleeps. Perhaps he is dreaming of milk bones. Or chasing squirrels. Or peanut butter balls?

healthy bon bon

And everything’s cuter engulfed in chocolate.

These fancy-schmancy bon bons are perfect for impressing people at a party. But they’re just as perfect for lounging around at the pool with your friends…

chocolate banana bon bons

Or, um, hiding alone in your house like a hermit and gobbling them all up before anyone else gets the chance to snag one. 🙂

Chocolate-Banana Bon Bons

• 3-6 very-ripe frozen bananas, cut into pieces (or nondairy ice cream)
  • 1 package choc. chips, or this: sugar-free version
  • Optional: 1 or 2 tbsp unrefined coconut oil

1. First, make the banana filling by blending your frozen banana pieces in the food processor until very smooth. (Alternatively, you can use nondairy ice cream. And if you don’t have a food processor or blender, you can always just dip regular banana chunks in chocolate.)

2. Transfer to a bowl, and freeze until the mixture is hard enough to form balls with a melon baller or mini ice cream scoop. Scoop balls onto a cookie tray (or any plate), then immediately put back in the freezer to chill for at least a few hours.

3. When the balls are hard (Get your minds out of the gutter!), it’s time to prepare the chocolate: Either use the sugar-free chocolate sauce or melt chocolate chips in a double broiler (or microwave 1 minute, stir, microwave 30 seconds, stir, repeat until melted, making sure it doesn’t burn). I recommend stirring in 1-2 T coconut oil, especially if you’re having trouble getting the chocolate to adhere to the balls. Coconut oil will act like Magic Shell!

4. Bring the balls out and either dip into the chocolate or spoon chocolate over them. (I actually took the balls out one at a time, then put each chocolate-covered one back in the freezer before taking out the next. They’re fat-free, so they melt very quickly.)

bon bon

5. Freeze the balls again, until the chocolate shell hardens.

vegan bon bons

Got extra chocolate sauce left over?

Make a single-serving Chocolate-Banana Reeses Cup.

Question of the Day:

Engulfed in chocolate: good thing or bad thing?
I’ll concede that maybe some items are better off not covered in chocolate. Like my dog. Or a wedding dress. Wait, I take that back. I would love to get married in a dress made of chocolate!

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. Lauren says:

Yum!!! Just need to unpack the blender and then I can make these 😀

2. Liz says:

And your Starbucks Frappuccino photo was the #1 most gawked last week. Did you know that? 🙂
    Pretty awesome, considering how many peoples’ photos are on foodgawker every day! Just goes to show how awesome your recipes are :).

1. Are you serious?!
      I saw it on the most-favorited page, but didn’t know it got to #1. Thanks for telling me :). I’m a photography nerd, I guess, because stuff like that really makes my day. It’s weird; a year ago I didn’t care about photography at all!

3. ALWAYS a good thing!! When is chocolate ever a BAD thing?! Those bon bons are the cutest things EVER!! 🙂

HAHA I literally couldn’t stop laughing at your “get your minds out of the gutter” thing! You are SO funny!!! 😀

1. It’s really hard to write a post about balls! Especially frozen balls! Or banana balls! Oh wait, this post has both! 😕

4. Barb says:

wow, yum!! these will satisfy my ice cream craving and my chocolate craving all at once!

5. Laura says:

Wow!! I am going to have to try these (PMT week, perfect timing!). I got stuck into your Black Forest Ice Cream recipe the other night – was sooo glad I made it, it was divine!

1. Ooh I’m glad you made it too… because I forgot about that recipe until you mentioned it!

6. HOLY YUMMERS!!! Must make ASAP!!

7. Looks so yummy! I love those muffin cups! Chocolate covered ANYTHING is good 😀

1. PS: I’m VERY happy for you! Showed my mum your photos and said: you know, I’m a regular reader of her website! 😀

8. I love how cute and healthy these are! I have to buy a blender so I can make them. Any blender recommendations?

1. I don’t have a fancy food processor. I just used an old Cuisinart (at least six years old!). But if you’re looking for a blender recommendation, I always tell everyone to buy a Magic Bullet because it’s great for single-serving recipes and can go in the dishwasher ;).

9. Yum Katie!
    I loooove chocolate covered “ice cream” bon bons 🙂
    Get in mahh belly.

10. These look amazeballz and I want to make them right now! If only I wasn’t at work. Oh, is that a headache coming on that can only be cured by chocolate covered banana ice cream? Why, I think so!

1. Hahaha go home “sick” 😉

11. Courtney says:

Oh course everything is better when engulfed in chocolate. Anyone who says otherwise should be committed 🙂

12. Aisatsana says:

Those look amazing! Engulfed in chocolate is definitely a good thing – I was dipping frozen banana slices in your brownie batter dip yesterday, it was amazing. 🙂

Your pictures are beautiful!!!

13. Katherine says:

Mmm, these look great! I think I might have to find a way to sneak in peanut butter though. Speaking of, the Dallas central market is having a special on peanut butter and co. For anyone in the area. Buy one jar, get one free! 😀

14. Chocolate-covered BETTER be a good thing if we’re reading your blog! I bet these would be great with some nut butter, everything is 🙂

15. saskia says:

Gooood thing!!:) and about that dress, dunno if this would’ve be a good idea, cuz i’d soon be naked, and a naked bride might be special, but Not that classy, i’m afraid!;) You have a nice day! In austria its raining..again.

1. Hmmm… yeah you wouldn’t be able to show off your wedding photos to anyone ;).

16. LOVE this idea to bring banana soft serve to a whole new level! I must make these asap (maybe with some pb mixed in!).

17. Lisa says:

uh,, yum!!! seriously, I love frozen banana. I love chocolate. How could this NOT be tasty? the pics make them look like cookie dough engulfed in chocolate. mmm. now THAT would be delicious 🙂

18. Amber K says:

Wow, those look delicious!!

19. Gen says:

So cute! And I bet they’re delicious, too!!!!