Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Ice Cream Sandwich Pancakes

Yesterday I had ice cream sandwiches for breakfast.

ice cream sandwich pancakes

Take that, cold cereal.

ice cream pancakes

And of course, in following the “healthy dessert” theme of this blog, the above ice cream pancakes are much healthier than they look. So please feel free to eat them for breakfast. Or lunch. Or dinner. Or, um, all three.

ice cream sandwiches

Ice Cream Sandwich Pancakes

Adapted from: Brownie Batter Pancakes

• 1/4 cup spelt or all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tbsp Hershey’s Special Dark cocoa or dutch cocoa -(You can try substituting regular cocoa, but I have not tried)
  • pinch uncut stevia OR 1 1/2 tbsp sugar
  • 1/16 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 tbsp oil (or applesauce, only if you like the taste/texture of fat-free pancakes)
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 5 and 1/2 tbsp milk of choice

Mix dry ingredients very well, then add wet. Make pancakes! Then spread your favorite ice cream, mashed banana, or my egg-free healthy ice cream recipe in between the pancakes. For a truly-authentic look, you can even poke holes in the ice cream sandwich pancakes.

View Ice Cream Sandwich Pancakes Nutrition Facts

egg-free ice cream

LINK OF THE DAY: Voluminous Vanilla Ice Cream

Tags: , , , , ,

1. you’re a genius. that’s all i can really say!

2. Ohhh that is sooo creative!!! I usually stick to something that I can eat quick when in the car on the way to work :(

I wish I had more time for a delicious creation like yours!!!

3. These actually looked like whoopie pies to me when I first saw it! They look awesome!!!! 😀 Its perfectly fine to have ice-cream for breakfast. And in fact, I may have or have not ate a couple scoops for breakfast yesterday…
    I usually eat wholewheat bread/buns for breakfast! Or have brunch instead of breakfast then lunch in the afternoon and dinner the usual time. Because brunch is a good excuse for not having classic breakfasts and to have thick, gigantic stacks of fluffy pancakes oozing with chocolate, coupled by a small carton of frozen yogurt and random sweet desserty stuff 😀

1. Hooray whoopie pies! That was my exact thought. And I would totally eat one for breakfast…on occasion. :)

4. I AM SO DOING THIS NEXT PANCAKE SUNDAY!!! And you’d better be there too, or ELSE!! 😀

I normally have oatmeal, but on other days I’ll go with a pizzert cos they are SO DARN GOOD!! Especially when slathered in peanut butter 😉

5. When is ice cream for breakfast NOT a good idea? Specially when it’s healthy!
    However this reminds me of the time I threw a fit because my mom wouldn’t let me eat doritos for breakfast….but I was gonna have milk with it too!

6. I usually eat oatmeal for breakie, I wish I had this! haha :)

7. Emily says:

Those look GOOD! The only time I wouldn’t want ice cream for breakfast is on a chilly day… Like today. I’d takes the Texas heat over 50 degree August mornings any time! I’d rather have hot oatmeal and hot coffee! :)

8. OMG that looks awesome I will have to try!!!!!!!

9. Nichole says:

I usually have cereal or toast for breakfast-it gets kind of boring..for the past 2 days though, i’ve made your brownie batter pancakes (delicious) so now i just have to add ice cream.As far as meals go, I’ve only had ice cream for lunch before.

10. Ice cream AND chocolate?? YES PLEASE! And for breakfast? ABSOLUTELY. Can you move in and make me dessert/breakfast? And dessert for breakfast?

My oatmeal is reserved for my midnight snack. And by midnight I mean 9pm.

1. Haha yes! Sounds like a good plan!

11. Gen says:

Yuum!!! Ice cream sandwiches sound like an awesome breakfast! 😀

12. WHY ARE YOU SO SMART!??! this is SO COOL!

13. Ice Cream is like pizza. It’s good for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and every time in between.
    My only criteria for breakfast is that it’s quick and easy.

14. VeggieGirl says:

FABULOUS creation!!! I say, if you feel like ice cream for breakfast, go ahead :)

15. tweal says:

Ice cream for breakfast is a fabulous idea! I used to do raw frozen banana ‘sundaes’ with goji berries and seeds, maybe some raw chocolate sauce. But this really appeals to my pancake-loving nature. Thanks for the idea and recipe!

16. Faith says:

I’ve been on a big pancake kick, but they always have to be topped with peanut butter sizzurp. Apple pancakes with extra cinnamon have been my favorite lately!

17. This is amazing! You should create a raw version of ice cream sandwiches! :)))

18. Jenny says:

I think my all-time favourite breakfast is some sort of whole grain (well, quinoa and buckwheat aren’t technically grains, but I’m including those in that description) with yogurt, fruit, and almonds. And cinnamon. Lots and lots of cinnamon.

Since discovering your blog and over a year ago, though, I’ve been varying my breakfasts tremendously – and it’s so much better that way. Variety is the spice of life! Well, actually, cinnamon is the spice of my life, but otherwise… my breakfast variety, using both Angela’s and your recipes, is the spice of it. 😉

Ice cream for breakfast? If it’s your healthy voluminous ice cream, or real non-dairy ice cream as an occasional treat, then why not?!

19. Margaret says:

This looks so yummy!!! 😀

I was wondering if maybe you could make a penuche recipe. I love penuche and it is super delicious but not super healthy so I was hoping you could help. Thanks!

1. LOL whats penuche? I’ve never heard of it!

1. Margaret says:

It’s like a caramel/dulce de leche flavored fudge…You’d probably be able to find it online 😀

20. Heather says:

SO AWESOME! I am making these for dinner:)

21. LizAshlee says:

Wow, I love this recipe…perfect one for vacation!! :) If only I had a kitchen!!

22. this might be my favorite one so far

23. Considering pancakes are my latest breakfast craze, this is totally happening for me this week!

24. Aja says:

Best. Idea. Ever.

25. VEGirl says:

I am ashamed to say that I am jealous and shocked that I never thought of this. WHY didn’t I think of this? And I am suppose to be the pancake QUEEN! You have threatened my title! I do not lie when I say that my jaw dropped and my mouth hang open as I scrolled down this post.

26. These look absolutely incredible!! And such a fun idea! I love that they seem so, so decadent but can actually be considered healthy and a breakfast item! They also would be a delicious dessert! For Breakfast, I almost always have greek yogurt, berries and granola but ice cream sounds like much more fun!

27. omg katie i love you.
    this looks so freaking amazing!!!!!!

28. Amber K says:

They look delicious! I actually eat the exact same thing for breakfast every single morning, because I think it’s just delicious! I’ve had it for probably more than a year now. Minus while on vacation. Oh and once a few weeks ago I thought I was getting tired of it so I had something else, and something felt “off” for the rest of the day until the next morning when I had “my” breakfast again! Now I just need to have a day where I eat only “breakfast” all day so I can try all of the breakfast recipes that look so delicious!

29. Michaela says:

this looks so good! I personally do not like ice cream sandwiches, but they look delicious.
    I love oatmeal so much, I eat it nearly every day. The other days I just have plain fruit or some of your pancakes.

30. Lorin says:

How much stevia would you use from the powdered shaker and not the packets. Like 1 tsp?

1. Hi Lorin,
      one packet of nunaturals stevia has 1/2 tsp of powder. Does that help?

1. Lorin says:

Yeah! Thanks.

31. Char says:

Yessssss, totally making these!! 😀

32. Elise says:

Looks good!! I like my breakfasts hot, but I think my little sister would love this idea! Lucky I’m seeing her next weekend really. x

33. I like where your head is at! ….I need to give up sweets altogether before 12:00 because it is making me have a sweet tooth all day long that I just can’t handle. It is getting out of control!!!! Even if it’s healthy sweets, I need to get this thing under control!
    I love oatmeal!!!

34. Katie these look amazing! I love the dark, dark, darkness of the chocolate in them. Just posted some really dark choc cookies of my own. I know you and I can both handle and enjoy the really dark chocolate creations :)

I love the shot of them with the sprinkles and the knocked over sprinkles. Just illustrating how sometime the tiny tweaks can just make a photo…amazing. However, when I try the “messy” look for my pics, sprinkles knocked, crumbs on a just looks…..messy. Not pretty like yours :)

1. Oh mine are messy too! And ugh, after this one, I accidentally spilled the sprinkles all over! I used the dust buster to clean them up ;).

35. These look lovely! Will have to make

36. Sadie says:

Ice cream for breakfast is a wonderful idea! In fact I eat frozen banana ice cream everyday for breakfast (along with my bowl of cereal; I <3 cereal)

37. I knew there was something I liked about you :) I’ll scream for ice cream for breakfast. Great idea!

38. Kelly says:

This is a dream come true!!! Ice Cream for breakfast!!!!

39. Steffany says:

OMG this sounds like the BEST IDEA EVER !!!

40. Emilia says:

Seriously, this is brilliant…I don’t quite have the proper words. The pictures are fantastic, too. Usually for breakfast I eat some kind of oatmeal, yogurt or cereal. I might not make these for breakfast, but I definitely see myself making them for dessert (or a special breakfast)!

41. They remind me of whoppie pies! Love the colourful sprinkle :)

I nearly always have oats for breakfast – I’m hungry for the rest of the day if I don’t have them! And I love all the different variations I can have.

42. Coco says:

Wow! This is a pretty wild breakfast….I may have to try this next time I have some time for a leisurely breakfast.

43. CookiePie says:

Ice cream sandwich pancakes. YES, please!!! Delicious and so much fun. Thanks for sharing!!

44. Megan says:

So creative and they look SO good! I love the sprinkles too. I also used your vita-mix method yesterday for some frozen vanilla soy milk & banana…a satisfying snack for a sweltering Texas day. For breakfast I usually do whole grain pancakes or a vita-top, cottage cheese, banana with peanut butter, or a greek yogurt bowl with berries, flax, almonds, and peanut butter. However, I am currently doing cereal and soy milk for a change. I really want to try your pizzert and also the breakfast bakes on edible perspective!

45. You are so creative! And your recipes give me sooo many tasty options with my diet restrictions! I am definitely making these tonight :)

46. Leo says:

Mmm, my first thought when I saw the picture was “Yum… healthy vegan oreos!”

then I read the title and though “double yum….healthy vegan ice cream sandwiches that look like oreos” (actually, no, not really, i was too distracted with the pancakes to do anything but drool- but you get the thought right?)

Anyway, this is my way of saying I love your recipes, and the pictures and that it’s all healthy and vegan and yummy. I think sometimes I even think “Come on Katie, I want to see what today’s post is, don’t make me wait!”

So, yeah, basically i love your blog

1. Wow, this comment made me smile SO much! Thank you, Leo! :)

47. At first I thought the filling would be plain ole jane banana soft serve, but not you girl, you spice it up!
    Ice cream for breakfast – why not. People eat cereal with milk i.e. calcium + grain = pancake ice cream sandwich! lol

48. Is ice cream any time of day a bad idea? I think no. Great job!

49. Nikki says:

I love this recipe!!! Not even just for breakfast..I think these would be awesome at any point in the day! :)

50. Moni'sMeals says:

yes, of course this is a good idea! I love eating out of the ordinary for breakfast. It is like a vacation if you think about it. 😉 I can’t help but laugh at all the times I eat pizza for breakfast!

51. Albizia says:

Ice cream for breakfast is not a new concept for me. Or for lunch. Or for dinner 😀 . I just love ice cream. For breakfast I have a huge variety of options. Some days I eat oatmeal and other days all I want is a crunchy toasted sandwich. I have eaten everything from cake to ramen or dinner leftovers for breakfast and I don’t mind it. There is something really cool in waking up on January, 1st and attacking the potatoes and the salads left from New Year’s dinner 😛 . But I haven’t had pancakes for breakfast for ages and this is sad because your pancakes look so freaking good that I don’t know how I still haven’t made them.

52. These look great lady! And for once I can actually see the pictures. It’s been hit or miss the whole time whether or not your pictures will load for me but this time no issues 😀 Have a great day chica!

1. Oooh really? Yikes… that’s frustrating to hear! Hopefully now that I’ve changed servers, it’ll be ok for you. If it is a problem again in the future, please please do let me know!!

53. BroccoliHut says:

Ice cream for breakfast is a total go for me–I’ve been known to make banana fro-yo for breakfast!

54. Lisa says:

what a cute idea!! you have to come out with a CCK book full of your recipes!! :)

55. Nikki says:

Oh my word. My two year old is going to LOVE this recipe! I’m pretty sure I can send you her thanks in advance. :)

56. Tara says:

I’m not a big fan of pancakes — this might just change my mind. I love ice cream for breakfast! I like putting it on top of a breakfast cookie — it’s like double dessert!

57. Lindsay says:

These look like delicious whoopie pies!

58. Abi says:

Ice cream for breakfast = AMAZING idea those look great, I think I’m going to make them the next time I’m in charge of watching my younger brother over night.

59. OH YEAH BABY!!!!! Ice Cream for Breakfast is my kind of day!!! Katie, I love your blog so much! It is by far the best one EVER!!! 😀

1. Oh Kat, seriously, you are the sweetest ever!!!

60. Marianne says:

When my best friend and I used to have sleep overs as kids, her dad would make us homemade waffles in the morning for breakfast and we would get to eat them with ice cream. No wonder I loved sleeping over there all the time!

1. Haha I wonder if she was related to one of my friends, whose dad introduced me to the wonders of chocolate-chip pancakes!

61. Ragnhild says:

Um-yum! These pancakes both looks and sounds super delicious! Nothing wrong with ice cream for breakfast as long as its healthy 😀

62. You never fail to amaze me! I’m a huge lover of ice cream sandwiches and then you find a way to make them into my favorite meal of the day in a healthy way. Love you, Katie!

1. Aww I love you right back, Tina! And I heard a rumor it’s your birthday??? Happy Birthday!! :) :)

63. Kara says:

Hey Katie, not sure if anyone has asked this already (on this post or the other chocolate pancake post), buuuut do you think these would turn out well if I used oat flour?

1. Kara says:

Just kidding, I went ahead and tried it anyway. I also added flax, added vanilla extract to the (massive) banana ice cream, and drizzled coconut butter on top of the whole thing.
      THIS is the new essential weekend recipe. Totally worth all the dishes I made. I honestly felt like I was eating a HUGE and decadent dessert for breakfast. Thank you soooooooo muuuuuuuch. I am going to make this for anyone and everyone.

1. Yum! I love your idea to use oat flour… and I’m so excited to know it works!

64. Jenny says:

Just made thes for a singel lady dinner. For my taste they need waaay more sweetner. Last year my sathurday breakfast was banana soft serve

Hugs Jenny

65. Chelsea says:

OMG I made these today and just WOW. Great recipe 😀

As for the question of the day… I can’t say I’ve ever *had* ice cream for breakfast but it sure does sound like a good idea 😉 I usually have pancakes or a smoothie (or sometimes boring ol’ toast). I LOVE pancakes, so a chocolate pancake was something I knew immediately that I just had to try :)

1. I’m so excited you made them!!!

66. Kathy says:

For breakfast, I’ll usually eat pancakes, or oatmeal. I’ll have to be trying these soon! I think I’ll put in between them either a pureed frozen banana or Fage Greek yogurt if I have any in the house!

67. Staci says:

Katie, these are delicious! I’ve made them twice–the first time I used regular Tollhouse cocoa, and the pancakes were NOTHING compared to the second time when I used the dark chocolate cocoa. The chocolate flavor was much less intense in the first batch. They weren’t bad, just lacked the chocolate flavor I was looking for. So fantastic for breakfast though!!!

1. Dark cocoa is really cool, right?! I love it in homemade ice-cream recipes too. It’s reeeaally good blended with strawberries! :)

1. Staci says:

It really is. Very versatile! I’m a cottage cheese fanatic (and also not vegan 😉 and love to experiment with adding different things to it. One day I was struck with the strange urge to add dark cocoa, peanut butter, and a touch of stevia. It was absolute heaven! My next adventure is the brownie batter dip you posted a while back–so much chocolate, so much happiness.

68. Isobelle says:

Oh wow! my mouth is watering! I’ll definitely have to make these for breakfast one day

69. aubrey says:

If you use the almond milk do you NEED applesauce or oil? Maybe can you use 1 tsp. guar gum?

70. My boyfriend LOVES ice-cream sandwiches.. those cheapy awful rectangle ones! I am going to surprise him with these tomorrow morning for a post-valentine breakfast! I’m planning on mixing in a little almond butter with a frozen banana for the ice-cream because he loves peanut butter. He always makes fun of me for my healthy pseudo-desserts so I’ll add quite a bit of agave to try to convince him its a treat!!

71. Erica says:

I think I will be making some ice cream pancakes myself. I’m thinking about your snickerdoodle or banana pancakes w/ butter pecan ice cream 😛 I’m nuts over nuts!

72. Emily says:

Hi Katie!! I love this whole blog so much, but especially your single-serving desserts. All to often I would skip out on baking because I didn’t want to have to deal with 36 of the same dessert myself (a single lady) but now I make a single serving something almost very night! I was wondering though, do you have all your single serving desserts in one list? I knew abou the cupcakes, but I didn’t see these until today. Thanks!

1. Emily says:

YES! Thank you!

73. latisha says:

ok, so just recently i had asked u if u had a wafer recipe to make ice cream sandwiches with… well i used this to inspire me! instead of making the batter in a skillet like a pancake i baked it in the oven…then when it cooled i stuck them in the freezer for a while… later put the ice cream in and then put them back in the freezer until frozen…. lets just say AAHHHHMAZING!!!! lol

74. Laura says:

Can it be make with whole wheat flour?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Whole wheat flour is not the best thing for baking.

75. eli says:

what type of oil do you use for the pancakes? coconut?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

You can use canola, veg oil, or melted coconut oil. If coconut oil, make sure any other liquid ingredients aren’t cold.

76. Al Green says:

You posted this over two years ago! I can’t believe I’ve missed out on these this whole time.

77. Leslie says:

So i made this, and the pancakes by themselves were a bit blah, but as soon as we put ice cream on it it was so good. Like really really good. We used chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream, but you can really use anything.

78. Katherine says:

These are INSANELY delicious!!! I didn’t have any cocoa powder so I subbed it with Hershey’s Chocolate Syrup and tasted UH-MAZING! It so gooey and perfect! I bet it would taste great with the cocoa powder but I’m sticking with the syrup. It was just too gooey and fabulous to forget. Love your work Katie. Made tons of your recipes but this one just killed me. Keep it up!

79. Candice says:

I had these today for the zillionth time and thought it was time I tell you how much I love them! This is seriously the most genius idea ever thought of, ever. I’m not vegan or vegetarian, but this blog is my happy place! I like to put SO Delicious coconut milk chocolate ice cream on these pancakes. I’m so happy there’s someone who understands and nurtures my need for dessert breakfast! Family and friends think I’m a weirdo 😀

80. Ayun says:

I don’t know why these didn’t work for me :( I measured everything but I think the mixture was too dense? And I could do only 4 little, thick pancakes. It was delicious anyway, like all of your recipes haha.