Ice Cream Sandwich Pancakes

Yesterday I had ice cream sandwiches for breakfast.

ice cream sandwich pancakes

Take that, cold cereal.

ice cream pancakes

And of course, in following the “healthy dessert” theme of this blog, the above ice cream pancakes are much healthier than they look. So please feel free to eat them for breakfast. Or lunch. Or dinner. Or, um, all three.

ice cream sandwiches

Ice Cream Sandwich Pancakes

Adapted from: Brownie Batter Pancakes

• 1/4 cup spelt or all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tbsp Hershey’s Special Dark cocoa or dutch cocoa -(You can try substituting regular cocoa, but I have not tried)
  • pinch uncut stevia OR 1 1/2 tbsp sugar
  • 1/16 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 tbsp oil (or applesauce, only if you like the taste/texture of fat-free pancakes)
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 5 and 1/2 tbsp milk of choice

Mix dry ingredients very well, then add wet. Make pancakes! Then spread your favorite ice cream, mashed banana, or my egg-free healthy ice cream recipe in between the pancakes. For a truly-authentic look, you can even poke holes in the ice cream sandwich pancakes.

View Ice Cream Sandwich Pancakes Nutrition Facts

egg-free ice cream

LINK OF THE DAY: Voluminous Vanilla Ice Cream

Tags: , , , , ,

1. you’re a genius. that’s all i can really say!

2. Ohhh that is sooo creative!!! I usually stick to something that I can eat quick when in the car on the way to work 🙁

I wish I had more time for a delicious creation like yours!!!

3. These actually looked like whoopie pies to me when I first saw it! They look awesome!!!! 😀 Its perfectly fine to have ice-cream for breakfast. And in fact, I may have or have not ate a couple scoops for breakfast yesterday…
    I usually eat wholewheat bread/buns for breakfast! Or have brunch instead of breakfast then lunch in the afternoon and dinner the usual time. Because brunch is a good excuse for not having classic breakfasts and to have thick, gigantic stacks of fluffy pancakes oozing with chocolate, coupled by a small carton of frozen yogurt and random sweet desserty stuff 😀

1. Hooray whoopie pies! That was my exact thought. And I would totally eat one for breakfast…on occasion. 🙂

4. I AM SO DOING THIS NEXT PANCAKE SUNDAY!!! And you’d better be there too, or ELSE!! 😀

I normally have oatmeal, but on other days I’ll go with a pizzert cos they are SO DARN GOOD!! Especially when slathered in peanut butter 😉

5. Emily says:

Those look GOOD! The only time I wouldn’t want ice cream for breakfast is on a chilly day… Like today. I’d takes the Texas heat over 50 degree August mornings any time! I’d rather have hot oatmeal and hot coffee! 🙂

6. OMG that looks awesome I will have to try!!!!!!!

7. Nichole says:

I usually have cereal or toast for breakfast-it gets kind of boring..for the past 2 days though, i’ve made your brownie batter pancakes (delicious) so now i just have to add ice cream.As far as meals go, I’ve only had ice cream for lunch before.

8. Ice cream AND chocolate?? YES PLEASE! And for breakfast? ABSOLUTELY. Can you move in and make me dessert/breakfast? And dessert for breakfast?

My oatmeal is reserved for my midnight snack. And by midnight I mean 9pm.

1. Haha yes! Sounds like a good plan!

9. Gen says:

Yuum!!! Ice cream sandwiches sound like an awesome breakfast! 😀

10. WHY ARE YOU SO SMART!??! this is SO COOL!

11. Ice Cream is like pizza. It’s good for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and every time in between.
    My only criteria for breakfast is that it’s quick and easy.

12. VeggieGirl says:

FABULOUS creation!!! I say, if you feel like ice cream for breakfast, go ahead 🙂

13. tweal says:

Ice cream for breakfast is a fabulous idea! I used to do raw frozen banana ‘sundaes’ with goji berries and seeds, maybe some raw chocolate sauce. But this really appeals to my pancake-loving nature. Thanks for the idea and recipe!

14. Jenny says:

I think my all-time favourite breakfast is some sort of whole grain (well, quinoa and buckwheat aren’t technically grains, but I’m including those in that description) with yogurt, fruit, and almonds. And cinnamon. Lots and lots of cinnamon.

Since discovering your blog and OhSheGlows.com over a year ago, though, I’ve been varying my breakfasts tremendously – and it’s so much better that way. Variety is the spice of life! Well, actually, cinnamon is the spice of my life, but otherwise… my breakfast variety, using both Angela’s and your recipes, is the spice of it. 😉

Ice cream for breakfast? If it’s your healthy voluminous ice cream, or real non-dairy ice cream as an occasional treat, then why not?!

15. Margaret says:

Katie,
    This looks so yummy!!! 😀

I was wondering if maybe you could make a penuche recipe. I love penuche and it is super delicious but not super healthy so I was hoping you could help. Thanks!
    Margaret

1. LOL whats penuche? I’ve never heard of it!

1. Margaret says:

It’s like a caramel/dulce de leche flavored fudge…You’d probably be able to find it online 😀

16. Heather says:

SO AWESOME! I am making these for dinner:)

17. this might be my favorite one so far

18. Aja says:

Best. Idea. Ever.

19. VEGirl says:

I am ashamed to say that I am jealous and shocked that I never thought of this. WHY didn’t I think of this? And I am suppose to be the pancake QUEEN! You have threatened my title! I do not lie when I say that my jaw dropped and my mouth hang open as I scrolled down this post.

20. These look absolutely incredible!! And such a fun idea! I love that they seem so, so decadent but can actually be considered healthy and a breakfast item! They also would be a delicious dessert! For Breakfast, I almost always have greek yogurt, berries and granola but ice cream sounds like much more fun!