Healthy snacks you can take on-the-go

Question for everyone:

Do you have any ideas for portable healthy snacks?

I’ve been trying to post more lunchbox-friendly recipes lately, because kids are going back to school and therefore will have no use for messy recipes like Dark Chocolate Brownie Batter Dip.

A lot of people have been asking me for good portable snack recommendations. I thought I’d throw the question out to y’all so you can help each other out. If you have any recommendations for snacks that are good to take on-the-go, feel free to leave your suggestions!  Below are a few of my snack recipes that are easy to transport:

blonde

Chocolate-Chip Blondies

These are a big hit every time I make them for kids. The children never seem to be scared by the fact that the blondies contain oats and beans. They only care that the blondies taste good! Kids are so smart.

homemade-larabars

Homemade Chocolate Larabars

Much cheaper than store-bought Larabars, and they taste better too. Plus you can customize them. One of these days, I’m going to splurge on freeze-dried raspberries so I can make chocolate-raspberry Larabars.

cherries1

Berry Crumble Bars

So soft and sweet and buttery… and so healthy you can have three!

cookie dough babies

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Babies

These are one of my favorite portable snacks. I often make them in bar form, so they’re like a homemade version of my favorite Cookie Dough Larabars.

healthy-pb-cookies

Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Cookies

New obsession. I’m sorry; I’ll try to refrain from mentioning them again for a period of… oh, probably around two hours.

cookie-dough-baked-oatmeal

Baked Oatmeal Cake

Also known as Boatmeal. One of the most-popular recipes on my blog. This makes a really good “on the go” breakfast, and you can easily make it up the day/night before.

balls-1

Rice Crispy Treat Babies

You could also make this recipe into traditional rice-crispy treat squares. Sorry, they won’t come wrapped in shiny turquoise.

pbjblonde

Gooey PB&J Blondies

I made these for the birthday party of a friend’s daughter, and the kids went crazy for them. Just remember to include a wet napkin if you pack one of these in a lunchbox. They can be a bit sticky, thanks to the jelly.

brownies

Ultimate Fudge Brownies

Another one of my favorites. Pretty much, if a recipe has chocolate, it’s my favorite. Bonus points for “fudge” in the title.

cookies4

Healthy Chocolate-Chip Cookies

I have yet to meet a person who doesn’t like chocolate-chip cookies. Truly, they must be the most beloved snack food in America. Well, maybe it’s a tie with potato chips. Everyone seems to love potato chips. But I would much rather have chocolate-chip cookies!

Question of the Day:

What are your favorite snacks to bring when you’re on-the-go?

Feel free to leave suggestions for packaged snack products as well as recipes, and leaving links is fine too. The point of this question is to help inspire others who are looking for ideas. So list as many ideas as you wish!

1. Lol I know this sounds lame, but my favorite snack is an apple! I slice one up and put it in a baggy every morning! It lasts longer when I eat it sliced, and it’s always so good! Besides that, definitely whatever granola bar I’m obsessed with at the moment. Right now it’s BoBo’s Oat Bars which are made in Boulder, CO! Soooo good and filling!

1. I’ve never tried those BoBos bars… They used to sell them at our WF, but I haven’t seen any in a while. Now I kinda wish I’d tried one!

2. I have an expensive bar addiction! Seriously, I have a whole box full of Clif Bars, Larabars and basically every bar in Whole Foods! 😛

But I LOVE the idea of boatmeal as a snack!! I am SO doing that!! 😀

3. id say you got all the good ones covered! i can tell you what NOT to take for a portable snack.. bananas and peanut butter- FAIL

4. Mary says:

I make LaraBALLS by processing approximately equal parts dates, dried apricots, walnuts, and almonds with about 1/4 cup of unsweetened shredded coconut and a splash of vanilla. I roll them in to 1 inch balls and pop them in the fridge or freezer. I’ve used dried cherries and other dried fruits and it always turns out great. You don’t have to be very precise- just process it until the dough holds together. They are much more portable in ball form.

5. Your desserts are so creative!!

I always pack leftovers for my husbands lunch with fruit, hummus and veggies. I almost always have a treat on hand so I’ll throw that in their too!

6. Nikki says:

I make boatmeals at least twice a week and keep them in the fridge. Quick, easy, delicious breakfasts! 🙂

7. Gesche says:

I love bringing nuts, single portion sized almond butter (you can find it on amazon.com), vegan soy jerky by primal spirit (i love their thai peanut flavor), I love raw revolution 100 calorie bars, mary gone crackers’ crackers, or go raw crackers like their ginger snaps, single portion hummus (by tribe hummus), dried peaches (trader joe’s has some amazing ones), fresh produce like apples (or apple chips/singel portion apple sauce), radishes, V8 mini veggie juice cans – so many yummy and healthy options! 🙂
    Btw, on a separate note, Katie was wondering if for most of your dessert recipes that call for coconut butter if you use store-bought one or if you usually just make your own? I am a HUGE fan of your blog! Have been recommending it to all my friends.

1. I usually use Artisana. There’s a store here that sells a big jar for $8 (as opposed to $15 at Whole Foods!). But I’ve made my own twice before.

And thank you SO much for your sweet comment!!! 🙂

8. Thanks for this recipe round up! 🙂 these are perfect! I’ve had so much trouble transitioning to school myself. I hate not having access to a kitchen on a meal time!

9. Jennifer JCD says:

We’re always looking for variety. Fudge babies and boatmeals make their way into lunches frequently, as do 100% fruit bars, homemade granola bars, trail mix/energy cookies, regular cookies, fresh fruit and veggies, muffins (mmm… banana chocolate chip!), little squares of dark chocolate, Medjool dates stuffed with soy butter and/or dipped in chocolate, homemade coconut bars (shredded coconut + brown rice syrup), baked chickpeas, beet chips, and even seasoned tofu cubes. Bag lunches are always interesting around here.

10. How about pieces of fruit, or baggies of cut up veggies like peppers or carrots with yummy hummus dip? That would be very healthy.

11. Desiree says:

As a mom packing lunches gets difficult, you have to switch it up often so they don’t get bored and hope they eat what you pack. I have found that anything cut into fun shapes go over well. Also sprinkles, put sprinkles on anything and the kids will eat it up! My rule at home is “you get what you get and you don’t throw a fit,” but that is really hard to enforce at school, so you must be creative. Still, I know that whatever I pack in their lunch is going to be better for them than what they are serving at school. I am always looking for new ideas to switch it up.

I know it’s not food, but I’ve been looking at these lunch boxes and I might just buy a couple. http://www.laptoplunches.com/ What I really like is that there is no lead, BPA, phthalates or PVC and recycled/recyclable. Their website also has a bunch of recipes too!

1. I’ve seen those laptop lunches. I think they are so cute! When I was little, I lived in Japan and had “bento boxes” which were kinda similar… but even cuter, if you can imagine :).

1. Desiree says:

No, I can’t imagine cuter… well actually if they had Hello Kitty one’s I would bust out the credit card ASAP. (Entering in Google search now).

1. Yes! They do! And the little sectioned compartments are in the shape of hello kitty too! I even had Hello Kitty napkins :). LOL I probably still have them somewhere… I’m going to go look now. I know I still have the napkins!

1. Desiree says:

I found a bunch of them online! As if I couldn’t adore you more, you add Hello Kitty to the mix! Ohh Em Gee!

12. I spend wayyy to much of lara, cliff and other protein bars. I should really make my own like your larabars above!

13. Barb says:

I seriously thing that your boatmeal bars are my favorite portable snack. I make a whole bunch of them in mini-loaf pans (so I can make different flavors) and keep them in my freezer. They seem to give me the perfect amount of energy (especially if I load them with berries and seeds).

Otherwise, I am a huge fan of the new FiberOne brownies.

14. I like trailmix – good no matter where you go and stays fresh forever.

15. Hee. I usually just bring buns with fillings for snacks like my sweet vegan wholewheat buns (http://ibakewhoeats.wordpress.com/2011/07/23/guilt-free-tangzhong-choco-cinnamon-buns-with-vegan-option/) and NUTS!!! Nuts make a good portable and feeling snack 😀 These are my staples! And I’ve been meaning to try your larabars too!! ‘Meaning’ because I haven’t got down to buying the ingredients yet 🙁 I wishhhhh we have vitatops 🙁 There’s really NOTHING better than a healthy, chocolaty giant muffin top… 😀

1. Oh no Oh no. NOT ‘FEELING’!!!! I meant ‘filling’!!! Brain fart. Sorry!

16. Danielle says:

This is one of my FAVORITE snack ideas. They taste wonderful and chocolaty, but have some peanut butter for protein:

1 cup melted dark chocolate (I use vegan chocolate chips)
    1/4 cup peanut butter (I like the sweetened type)
    Then add puffed rice cereal until the there’s no runny liquid in the bottom of the pan, spoon onto a cookie sheet and freeze for about an hour.
    I also like to add some other fun things in there, like dried cranberries, raisins, pistachios, walnuts, whatever is lying around!!

P.S. I made the peanut butter cookies. SO ADDICTIVE.

1. I think you just said the magic words to my mind. Chocolate and peanut butter. They sound insanely delicious!

17. Nikita says:

The simplest snack I take is trailmix- usually a mixture of almonds, dried cherries or cranberries, and a sprinlking of dark chocolate chips for good measure! I also bring homemade granola bars, larabars, and healthy muffins on the go. I used to be obsessed with Luna bars, but they can get expensive and I’m kinda over that now that I found how easy it is to make homemade healthy snacks!

18. Megan says:

Hmmm…I love snacks 🙂 Usually I bring nuts, prunes, trail mix, Mojo or Lara bars, Clif Crunch bars are fabulous, various fruits, or an occasional smoothie. I just bought some hemp protein powder so I can see that in my future with some frozen banana, vanilla soy milk, and chocolate peanut butter! Snacks are so awesome…I don’t know why people want to just eat three main meals when they could have a much bigger variety of foods! (and more occasions for chocolate)

19. Ashley says:

Yummy recipe round up! Even though I work from home, it’s nice to have some snack ideas, haha.

20. I know this sounds horrible, but I’ve never understood what an UNPORTABLE food is. Given the right containers, isn’t everything technically portable? I’ve packed a little container of hummus to go alongside some crackers and veggies, or even gone so far as to seperate all my sandwich ingredients in order to have a nice non-soggy sammy for lunch. In fact, this morning I made oatmeal, threw it into a container and then reheated it on the stovetop at work (although you could easily use a microwave) and smothered it in peanut butter I brought in another little container…

I think ALL of your food (except for ice cream perhaps…) is pretty dang deliciously portable given time, effort and the proper tools!

1. Frozen things aren’t portable :(. No fudgsicles at school. So sad lol. They need to invent a mini freezer. No seriously, I looked for one when I was in college, to put in my room :).