Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

My New Home

But first, breakfast:

Warm and delicious Pumpkin Baked Oatmeal.

On a whim, I made my boatmeal with coconut butter as the fat source. As it turns out, coconut butter pairs really well with pumpkin. Not that I expected any different; coconut butter pairs really well with everything!

And this single-serving recipe never fails me.

I also ate the last of my samples of Vegan Greek Yogurt.

Then, after breakfast, it was time to meet a friend… and move into our new place!!

That’s my big news. (See? I told you it was something that was a huge deal to me, but that y’all probably wouldn’t care about. Your guesses about me running away with my blind date were much more interesting!)

We spent Thursday, Friday, and some of Saturday moving furniture, unpacking boxes, and organizing everything. The actual process of moving is never any fun, and I’m definitely not a stranger to it.

As a child, my parents bounced me all over the world: London, Tokyo, Philadelphia, Manila, Shanghai, and Dallas. And the bouncing didn’t stop when I got out on my own, moving first to a dorm in freshman year of college. When I transferred to SMU, a friend and I found an apartment together. Junior year, I moved to a single apartment after my friend graduated, and it was an adorable little place. But I arrived home one day to find a note taped to the door that said: “Move out, because we are demolishing your apartment to make room for the George Bush Library.”

So I got another apartment, with a roommate. And then, tired of all the moving, I moved back in with my parents for senior year. Living at home was awesome. It was free, familiar, and I got to see the people (and puppies!) I most love in the world. However, it’s just too easy to pretend you’re still a kid when you live at home. I was ready to get out on my own again and be independent.

Question of the Day:

If you don’t live with your parents, when did you move away from home?

Or when do you think you will leave home? Although I’ve lived on my own before, this is the first time I’ll truly be independent; paying my own rent and bills.

P.S. Can someone quickly go “like” my Facebook page?

I’d be so grateful… I know it sounds ridiculous, but I’m superstitious and am scared of 6666s! 😕

1. I lived with my parents during university, which was great since I got along with them well and it was so cheap! I house-sat at my grandparents for a month each year, conveniently around exam time. And then I finally moved out when I went to another city for my teaching degree.

By the way, I love your oatmeal. What do you think about making it the night before and warming it up at breakfast?

1. You can definitely do it :). I usually make mine the night before. I hate having to cook breakfast in the morning when I’m hungry.

2. katie says:

Congrats girl! I hope you are getting all settled in!

Happy Sunday! <3

3. I moved for college, and I moved every year and almost every summer after that! I’m in Chicago for law school now and decided to stay in the same apartment for at least 2 years. I’m so tired of moving!

4. Yipee for your big move! 🙂 I already “liked” you on Facebook, but I see someone already helpd out. If I could “love” your page on Facebook I would! 🙂
    Yay for your delicious breakfast and double yay for your big move! I’m so excited for you! Have a great day!

5. Woah! That is great news! Congrats on the move 🙂

6. CONGRATS!! That’s awesome news!! And you said it wasn’t a big deal pffsh! Moving out HUGE deal! I’m so happy for you! Please take photos of your new place!! 🙂

7. Jen@newellnd says:

I was the typical boomerang kid…moved away from home for a year in high school to attend a different school, moved back in with the parents after. Moved out to attend undergrad, parents moved to the same city 2 years later so I moved back in to save money. Finally, moved out for good during post grad and my parents moved to a different city at the same time (think they were trying to get rid of me?) but I still have “my room” at their new house.
    Right now I am saving up and dreaming about purchasing my first “home” rather than living in a rented “house”

8. Kate Bartolotta (@kate_bartolotta) says:

Went over & “like” – couldn’t believe I hadn’t before!! I moved out at 18, but only during the school year at college. Moved out permanently at 21…best apartment was the 2 bedroom I had to myself;) Good luck – exciting news!!!

9. Jane Plass says:

Congratulations on your new place!

10. Hah, I knew it. Usually when bloggers have a ~big announcement~, it’s usually that they’re moving, have a new blog domain or are leaving their job to blog full-time.
    I’ll probably move after I finish university – right now I live in the dorm during the week and at home with my parents during the weekends/holidays.

11. Lisa says:

yay! so cool! living alone is so awesome, but I agree it is nice to come home every now and then!! 🙂

12. Congrats on your move and towards becoming more independent! 😀

13. I went to college 4 hours away but came back and lived with my folks every summer. Then, once I had graduated, I planned to pay off my student loans and my car as quickly as possible. The ultimate plan was to save up for a downpayment and get my own home but then they closed down our office and we all lost our jobs. Those plans are still on the back burner. But I lived with Mom and Dad until I was 27 and then got my own apt. More and more people my age are living with Mom & Dad now it seems. Pretty commonplace now with the job market and economy.

1. So true! A lot of my friends still live with their parents (or moved back after college), especially if they are having trouble finding jobs. Selfishly, I like it because it means I get to see my friends more often since they haven’t moved away ;).

14. Congratulations on moving! 😀

15. That is exciting news! I moved out when I went to college, and I haven’t ever lived close enough to live home again. Not to mention, my bedroom is now an office…

16. Sünne says:

Wow, that’s awesome, Katie! Congratulations on your new place – I hope you’ll eventually show some pictures :)! It truly feels nice to be independent and live on your own.

17. Michaela says:

I kinda thought u might move out! congrats 🙂
    I moved out when I was 20 years old and I don´t regret it at all. Sure, I could have moved out earlier, but I was good waiting for another while, until I finally felt ready. Love it 🙂 Absolutely love it. (though I enjoy being at home for now, before going abroad once again ;))

1. Haha yes, I remember I think you guessed it once when I posted about going to Ikea a few months ago!

18. Natalie S. says:

Yay, congrats! I don’t live with my parents and it’s nice to have the independence, but it’s also nice to go home and have free food and someone who cooks for me! My parents are pretty great 🙂

19. Happy moving! 🙂 I hope it goes really well and realllllly fast!