Monster Mint-Chocolate Chip Cupcakes

Roar.

monster cupcakes

My husband, the monster:

Did you know I was once married to Frankenstein? It’s true! Long before Bella Swan made it fashionable to marry a ghoul, Frankie and I had a one-night stand. I dressed up as the Bride of Frankenstein for Halloween and created a stuffed monster “husband” to carry around all night.

In case you’re curious, here’s a photo of us.

Although we didn’t stay married long (irreconcilable differences), I think Frankenstein would approve of the following mint-chocolate cupcake recipe. Whole-grain, and lower in fat and sugar, these are much healthier than your average cupcakes. And yet, they taste just as delicious.

mint chocolate cupcake

As I said in yesterday’s post, these cupcakes were made for a good friend’s kindergarten class. I so wanted to throw some spinach in them, to see how they’d turn out. But I didn’t have enough time to make a second batch if the experiment failed.

If anyone is feeling adventurous, please do try adding spinach… and let me know how it goes!!

Monster Mint-Chocolate Cupcakes

(Makes 12 cupcakes)

• 1/4 cup cocoa powder (regular or dutch)
  • 1 cup flour (I used white-whole-wheat. You can use all-purpose, spelt, or even ww pastry.)
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3/4 cup sugar or evaporated cane juice
  • 1 and 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
  • 1 and 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp pure peppermint extract (or 1/2 tsp, if you only want a very-slight mint taste)
  • 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt of choice (such as SoDelicious)
  • 1/4 cup applesauce
  • 3 tbsp oil (coconut or veg or canola oil)
  • optional: add a few handfuls chocolate chips to the batter!
  • 1/2 cup milk of choice

Directions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix dry ingredients, then add wet. Don’t overmix. Pour into cupcake liners or tins, and bake for 18-20 minutes. (Mine took 19 minutes.) Nutrition Facts per cupcake: Each cupcake will have around 130 calories and three grams of fat, depending on what yogurt you use.

Cupcakes in the photos are topped with this recipe: Mint Chocolate Chip Frosting.

mint chocolate chip cupcakes

For a Mint-Chocolate Parfait:

Try crumbling this over Mint-Chocolate-Chip Ice Milk.

Or skip the parfait idea and just cover these babies in devilishly-delicious green frosting. With chocolate chips. Don’t forget the chocolate chips.

Question of the Day:

Do you remember any of your childhood Halloween costumes?

Some of mine: a Martian beauty queen, devil in a blue dress, purple-people-eater, monster chef, dust bunny (French maid with bunny ears), sand witch (sandwich), and “Indecisive” (where I wore a little bit of everything I could find. That one was really fun). I always hope that one of my friends will throw a party, so I have an excuse to still dress up even though I’m obviously way too old for trick-or-treating. I still have no idea what I’m going to wear to this year’s Halloween party.

Tags: , ,

1. You look so different in that photo! You look more mature definitely! I’ve never celebrated Halloween before but its so fun to hear about it! Great job on the monster muffins! 😀

2. I was a bumblebee… every year… haha! these look SO GOOD!

3. I was a Hersey’s Kiss!!! LOVED that cosutume! My sister and I were matching kisses!!!!

4. Sarah says:

A monster cupcake to satisfy my monster craving! Looks absolutely delish! I remember my obession with being a “pretty” witch. I would dress in witch costume (sans the fake nose… ugh!), then apply my little- girl flavored lipgloss, aliitle dab of little-firl blush (or something) and out I went. Maybe that’s why i always got the most candy compared to my fellow witches 🙂
    \

1. Sarah says:

sorry, little- girl blush is wat i meant!

5. Mellie says:

Hm..my favorite Halloween costume was in 8th grade; I was Princess Leia. The cupcakes look soo good, mint chocolate is the best!

6. Haha I LOVE that photo of you!! And these cupcakes are AMAZING! Love the Halloween decoration! 😀

I dressed up as Hermione every single year as a kid. My Harry Potter obsession was all-consuming 😛

7. My parents got these awesome vests that had lights that blinked and flashed. One was a fairy princess with streamers on the arms and the other was a space lady with a cool headband/crown thing. I remember thinking I was *so* cool when I would walk around the neighborhood all lit up and sparkly and the kids would point in envy. Too bad I am not the fashion trend-setter now (but it’s good to have been at least once right? ha ha)

8. Michaela says:

these look divine!!! nothing beats the mint-choc-combo!!

9. Laura says:

These look awesome! You can’t go wrong with mint chocolate.

10. Aaaaw,that photo is so cute! You’ve always been so pretty – since your childhood! 🙂

11. Wow, Katie! They look amazing!! So moist and yummy. 🙂

12. Gen says:

Yummy!!!! I love mint and chocolate together!!! 😀

13. Ruthiey says:

Those look yummy! I never dressed up for halloween, but one time I walked around our neighborhood and collected candy without a costume. Yes, I was one of THOSE teenagers. 🙂

14. Barb says:

These look so yummy!! My favorite costume as a kid was a crayola crayon. My mom made it out of felt fabric and I made her make a new costume each year because I wanted to be a different color.

1. Maya says:

I was a crayon once too!!!! I wish I still had that costume. It got lost somewhere along the hand-me-down line.

15. katie says:

I was a crayon one year. And I won a costume contest once as a tomato. It caused much drama in my household because I was actually an apple.

1. Kit-Kat says:

haha! “Drama”, how funny!

16. CUPCAKES!! I loooove cupcakes 😀 These look delicious, & I bet the kids will love them!

I figured there might be some words said about your post on stereotypes, but I knew that you meant no harm by it. I thought, too, that your comment was a compliment. Remember that you can’t please everyone, Katie. Keep doing what you’re doing: I think you’re a great person!

Have a beautiful day 🙂 xo

17. Megan says:

Yum…these look so good! Chocolate and mint is such a refreshing combination and I love your green frosting! As for Halloween costumes, I only ever went to fall festivals at school (my mom doesn’t like Halloween) but I remember going as Tinker-belle, a butterfly, some character from Carmen SanDiego (haha!) and probably a ballerina. Last year I went as the goddess Medusa and had fake snakes in my hair! What are you doing this year?

1. Ahhhh I still don’t know :-?. I have a party to go to… but I have no idea what to “be” or what to make yet.

18. Christelle says:

I can’t wait to try these. Mint and chocolate is one of my favorite combination!

19. Barefootcookingirl says:

Try the frozen “Boo” nana pops on skinnytaste.com. they’re pretty cute.

1. Barefootcookingirl says:

I meant for the kids halloween party!

20. OMG_ holy delicious cupcakes. How do you make the bite look so perfect out of it? I always try that, but it NEVER looks good like yours. he he!
    Halloween- I once was a bunny with a cunstruction paper carrot hnagout around my next that my mom made. Well, that stupid carrot hung a little too low and the picutres from that Halloween are, well, HILARIOUS! I have to find that picture to post on my blog.
    PS- I add spinach to all my muffins for my two boys. Love that idea!
    And……. I think peanut butter and chocolate mint go really well together. It’s my favorite frozen yogurt combo. You’d be surprised! Hugs!