Chocolate Almond Joy Biscuits

If a biscuit and a scone had babies:

almond joy biscuits

Until yesterday, I’d never made biscuits.

(Unless you call popping open a can of Pillsbury Grands “making biscuits.”)

I was surprised by how quickly this recipe–which I created yesterday morning–came together. For some reason, I’d always been under the impression that biscuit-making was difficult. But that’s not the case at all! I’ll definitely make these again; they were so good!

vegan buiscuts

Chocolate-Almond Joy Biscuits

(makes 8-12)

• 1 and 3/4c spelt flour (or white, or Arrowhead Mills gf mix)
  • 1/2 cup peeled almonds (I bought the sliced ones so I didn’t have to bother peeling)
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar or coconut sugar or Sucanat
  • 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp plus 1/8 tsp salt
  • 3 tbsp coconut oil or canola oil
  • 2/3 cup milk of choice (Almond or soymilk is fine. Don’t use ricemilk.)
  • 1 tbsp white vinegar or lemon juice
  • optional: chocolate chips (Obviously not optional for me!!)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Pulse almonds in the food processor, then add other dry ingredients and pulse until smooth. Meanwhile, mix the vinegar and milk in a little bowl. Let sit for at least 5 minutes. Transfer the dry ingredients to a big bowl and add milk mixture and oil. Mix just until it comes together. Transfer dough to a tray, and knead a few times until it’s not sticky. (Sprinkle with more flour if needed.) Press dough into a rectangle 1/2-inch thick, and cut into squares or rounds. You can bake the vegan biscuits on the same tray. Bake 14-15 minutes.

Topping ideas: Healthy Nut Butters and Frosting Recipes.

(That’s not to say the biscuits need any topping at all. They are prefectly delicious even if you just want one plain, hot out of the oven.)

almond biscuits

These almond biscuits are great for breakfast, but they also make a nice snack. Or, leave out the chocolate chips and eat them with dinner. (Heck, keep the chocolate chips and still eat them with dinner!)

Nutrition info is the same as for my pecan biscuits.

View nutrition information here.

I haven’t tried the healthy biscuits with applesauce subbed for the oil. And honestly, I wouldn’t recommend it… but of course you can try if you wish! Just be warned that the results might taste gummy.

healthy biscuits

A fat-free baked good I can recommend: Polka-Dot Banana Bread.

Tags: , , ,

1. I make biscuits all the time. I really love switching it up, sweet potato, corn, cheesy, etc.

2. I’ve never tried or made biscuits before! But there always will be a first time- this!

3. I’ve made buttermilk biscuits MANY times before. Love getting all the flaky layers. Perfect with a hot bowl of soup in the winter. Lots of soup is in my future this season I know.

4. LOVE biscuits! What a great flavor Katie! These look so delicious! Thanks for sharing!

5. I can’t say I’ve ever been brave enough to make them on my own. I like them but don’t crave them with a meal- these however, they may be a game changer!!!

6. magy says:

Few days ago I found your blog. Amazing recipies. It is great for me that they are a healthier version of typical desserts. Very declicious!

7. Sarah says:

I have made biscuits A LOT… but always savory ones to go with soup or stew. Like buttermilk, jalapeno and cheddar, etc. But never tried a sweet one, much less an Almond Joy one!!! Actually, i have never been a fan of Almond Joy at all, but i think i’ll give these guys a try :) oh and i use a SUPER easy but yummy biscuit recipe that takes about 5 minutes of hands on time. I’m not sure if it is vegan or not, but i would highly encourage you to make it vegan if it isn’t- its just so good. Super versatile too, add whatever you like. I usually add in some type of cheese. Here it is: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/e-z-drop-biscuits/detail.aspx
    Have used it for years now and it never fails!
    P.S.- I just read an article ( and some others) that said that vegetarians are at a high risk for periodontal disease and other mouth diseases. What really got me was that vegans are at the highest risk- no matter how well you brush! I am not vegan as i have said before, but i do have vegetarian/vegan friends. This scared me a little. Thought i’d give ya a heads up. Sorry for the random post script :)

8. kali says:

Do u think this would work with almond or coconut flour instead of spelt?

1. I’d be hesitant to use JUST almond or coconut flour. I don’t know much about gf baking, but I know they tell you to combine flours with gf baking. If you use just coconut flour, baked goods often turn out crumbly and don’t hold together well.

1. Add 1/4 tsp xantham gum for every 1 cup of gluten-free flour, and you’re good to go! :)

1. Oh wow, is that how easy it is for gf baking?? I always was intimidated by xantham gum in recipes… does that usually work for most recipes that call for regular flour? I’d love to use my coconut flour more often, but I never know what to make with it!

1. Yep, it’s that easy! I’ve done it for many recipes, and they all come out just fine :)

If you want gluten- and sugar-free coconut flour cookies ready in 5 minutes, make these! The chocolate version is the best, obviously 😉

9. I LOVE biscuits! They are so fluffy and light and fun to tear apart! And I wouldn’t leave out the chocolate chips for dinner… no need for such silly things.

10. Dakota says:

I Made savory Pumpkin biscuits the other day to go with my tomato-sweet potato soup, and I’m waiting for the weather to get cold enough in Wisconsin to justify breaking out the rest of the soup that I canned and making the biscuits again!

11. My parents are British so I have to love scones! Or biscuits, as they’re called in the US. I just made some pumpkin chocolate chip ones, gluten-free and sugar-free (and vegan) loosely based off of Mama Pea’s scone recipe and now I get to try out yours too! Yay! :)

12. Biscuits and scones. … in one?! These look delicious! :)

13. These look delicious, a recipe I am def. going to have to try! I love biscuits, my grandma always made them for breakfast with homemade strawberry jam!

14. Rebecca says:

Now you can move on to scones! How about a little shredded coconut and almond extract for a Mounds version?

1. Oh goodness, that sounds like a genius idea!

15. Yum, these sound perfect to go with coffee and a banana in the morning :)

16. Amanda says:

You know, I don’t think I’ve ever made biscuits. Scones, yes.

I love that you added chocolate chips. Now those are my kind of biscuits. :)

17. Emilia says:

I adore biscuits, the texture and the flavor is perfectly spot on! The combination of ingredients sounds absolutely spot-on, especially the addition of chocolate chips. Oh my goodness, I can’t wait to make these :)

18. Susan says:

I just made a gluten-free version, using King Arthur all purpose. They turned out great! Perfect amount of sweetness. Mine are round, so they look like giant choco-chip cookies. Thanks for the recipe.

1. Oh wow, I can’t believe you already made them! I’m so excited they turned out well :).

19. Jessica says:

These sound amazing Katie!

20. I have not tried to make biscuits before, but I just may make those almond joy ones over the weekend for my kids, they look awesome!!