Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Puppy Pictures

dogs fire

If you look it up in a dictionary, you might see a photo of our weather these past three days: cold, windy, rainy.Gloomy.

My cold-fighting weapons include:

A big, warm bowl of Five-Minute Chocolate Oats.

And: fleece pants, fluffy blankets, and hot showers. (Hot showers are the best!)

Batman’s cold-fighting weapon:

costco heat dish

The Costco heatdish. I swear, my dogs are like moths. If there is a heat dish or fireplace lit, they will gravitate towards it and reuse to move until someone turns it off. (Batman and Henry still live at my parents’ house. I miss them! They’re close, though, so I visit often.)

When cold, eat… ice cream??

Yesterday morning, the deluge of rain temporarily gave way to a light mist, allowing me to bundle up and go for a run. After breakfast and a hot shower, I actually felt a bit warm and, oddly enough, was craving ice cream.  Tomorrow’s post will be for my ice cream recipe. So, to keep warm while eating the ice cream, you might want to invest in a Costco heatdish of your own.

Batman’s not sharing his.

Wrap-Up: Box of Luna Bars Giveaway.

1. Your puppy is so cute! I’m currently looking to get a dog. :) And I love eating ice cream on a cold day, next the fire of course. :)

2. I love fires and warm robes when it’s cold out!

3. Nikki says:

Hehehe they are the cutest things, ever! I love puppy dogs! I just want to curl up by the fire with mine sometimes!

4. It has not been gloomy at all down here-80* every day and sunny, clear skies. I’m actually wishing for a bit of gloomy-grey weather so it can feel like the holidays more!

Those pictures are too cute! My dog weighs 100 pounds and about 20 of the pounds are fur, so he loooooves cold weather. Hates the heat.

5. Hey the body wants what the body wants – ice cream sounds good to me!

The puppies are so adorable. My cats are the same with heat. You’d think being covered in a thick coat of fur would do but they love it!

6. How funny. I live in WI where it’s almost always FREEZING in the winter and I’ve never heard of a hotdish! Would have come in handy when the heater died in my apartment and it was a chilly 54 one night! How showers definitely helped! :-)

7. I crave cold drinks when I’m cold- it’s the weirdest thing. …… I’m like a moth to flame too when it comes to finding warmth!

8. A Heat Dish! I remember when HEAB used to post pics of hers. I have a heating plate I use for brewing kombucha. Sort of like a dish but not quite. Yours looks warmer and toastier :)

9. Lauren says:

Awww you must miss your puppy when he’s with your parents! Is he coming to live with you soon? That’s been the hardest part about college for me…leaving my dog at home :(

10. Ashley says:

I always crave ice cream in the winter! It’s definitely pretty strange. But I love it!

11. Adorable puppies! I would love to be at home right now curled up in a blanket by the fireplace, instead of sitting at my desk!

12. Lindsay says:

Those chocolate oats look deeeeelish! Just curious – have you tried this recipe with quick oats? If not, any suggestions for using quick instead of rolled oats?

1. I haven’t, but you can definitely do it! When I use quick oats for something, I always just use less liquid and know that it cooks faster :).

13. Sarah says:

On cold days i love a good movie, a blanket, hot cocoa with the works, cookies aaaand ICE CREAM- i crave ice cream all year long. weird. Also i love a dog on my lap… ummm, awkward? Hey, i’m a dogsitter, comes with the job :)

14. Your puppy is so cute! I love the little furball! It’s been rainy and gloomy here too. Ive had quite a few bowls of chocolate oats myself and lot of tea. It snuggle up in sweatpants weather for sure.

15. Radu says:

Hahah I like the dog photo shooting :)) he really enjoys it.

16. Meg says:

I love ice cream when I’m sick – perfect sore throat cure 😉

17. Haha I’ve been craving frozen yogurt even though our highs aren’t getting above 40!

18. Val says:

Aww they are so cute!!!

19. Kit-Kat says:

Oh, goodie!
    I love ice-“cream” anytime! Actually, I’ve been eating lots of it recently, and it’s become a major addiction of mine. Don’t ask me why, but I just love to eat it especially when it’s cold out…. it’s a good excuse to have hot cocoa or tea right afterward! :-)

20. Omigosh your pups are so cute!! I want a dog so badly!! And I think I’m like the dogs, whenever a space heater or fire is on, I gravitate towards it!

21. Joanna says:

I have one of those heat dishes! I freeze way too easily so I have that thing on all the time, lol!

Tidbit: I want a cat soo badly.

22. I loveeee hot showers after a cold and/or rainy run… the best!! I’ve been all about big comforting warm meals lately myself up here in Vermont!

23. Aww Batman has it figured out. :) My cats are like that with heaters. Although..once one of them burnt his paws because he stretched on it! Ouch!

24. Your doggy is so cute. And I love hot showers!! My husband usually complains that I didn’t save any hot water for him.

25. Lou says:

I’m just like your pups – hate being cold so am always near the fire/heater. Actually, I lean against the oven while it’s on too, it works a treat 😉

26. Hot showers are the best when there is a heater going in the bathroom! I too gravitate towards heat. Maybe that’s why I love to bake :)

27. hehe, I’ve totally been taking hot showers every night to warm up from this darn chilly air :) They really do help when you’re feeling crappy too.

28. Jennifer JCD says:

Your pups are adorable, as always! Our cats like to sleep on the heat registers! Haha, we eat ice cream in winter too! It’s weird, yes, but delicious. And sometimes followed by a hot shower or bath. :)

29. Candace says:

cute dogs:) this recipe looks really really good! i’m gonna try it soon. katie, my birthday’s coming up and i want to bring a treat to school for people to try. and i want it to be vegan and i want them to see vegan food isn’t gross. I haven’t tested all your recipes, so can you suggest one you think they might like? thanks!

1. Ooh happy (early) birthday! My chocolate bar pie is always a hit with omnivores (even people who hate tofu, like my ex boyfriend lol). Or, if you want to be less fancy, the flourless chocolate chip cookies get good reviews. Or the fudge babies!!! :)

1. Candace says:

thanks:) they all look so good. i think i’m gonna make the flourless chocolate chip cookies. thank you so much. and who doesn’t like tofu? so many people tell me they don’t like tofu but i LOVE it!

30. we actually put a heating pad in my dogs bed. She loves it. Keeps her nice and cozy!

And then i sleep with an electric blanket or else everyone else in the house yells at me for turning up the heat!

31. Those pictures are darling, I love the one with batman in front of the heatdish. It remains me of my cat back in Oregon she would get close to the heater when it was in the living room in the winter.

32. Aja says:

So cute.
    And I have been craving ice cream too and it’s like 31 degrees outside!

33. Awwww so cute!! I always seem to crave ice-cream when it’s cold out and then immediately regret eating it because my fingers and entire body then get so so cold!

34. It’s actually not odd at all that you were craving ice cream despite the chilly weather. Seems wrong, but ice cream sales actually increase in winter months. Theories as to why usually revolve around people seeking comfort foods….but my personal opinion is that it may be because pie concumption increases and what goes better with warm pie then some ice cream? – NOTHING! Ergo, more ice cream eating in winter! 😉

35. I need to master the art of milk pouring pics!! I can never time is just right!

36. I always make myself a smoothie when I am cold.. then rug up on the couch with a blanket and Ryan Gosling movie.. Sad? yes. Does it make me happy? YES!! haha

37. Clair says:

My boyfriend always claims it’s his alternating hot-cold showers that keep him from EVER getting sick!

38. LizAshlee says:

Cute photos of the puppies!!

39. Kim Bee says:

Your pups are adorable. Love the heat dish from Costco, I keep thinking about picking one up. Wish they made them portable so I could bring it to the barn and it can go where I go. Lol. That bowl of chocolate oats was fantastic.

40. I love ice cream any time! You pictures are delicious looking and your pups are cute!

41. Aly says:

Hey Katie! Just made myself a big bowl of the 5-minute chocolate oatmeal…without chocolate (shock, horror!), because I wasn’t in a chocolatey mood. (I did have a piece of dark chile-cinnamon chocolate later though…guess I still needed it, but in a different form.) It was FANTASTIC! I’ve been running low on tasty lunches I can make with what I have on hand, and so this was PERFECT in every way. Yum! I think I’ll make some more tonight 😉

42. those pups are living the quality life, if you ask me. i might be keen on making myself a bowl of these chocolate oats for dessert tonight!

43. Laura says:

I absolutely love your blog! I have been trying so many of your recipes and this is probably my favorite breakfast! I have already made it twice since yesterday (once for breakfast and then for dessert after dinner)! Thanks for all the amazing yummy recipes!

1. Aww thank YOU for trying them!! :)

44. Kathleen says: