Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Gingerbread Breakfast Cereal

gingerbread bowl

I *heart* gingerbread.

If pumpkin is the poster child for fall, then gingerbread is winter’s darling. I kept this in mind as I blended up breakfast yesterday morning…

A seasonal twist on my favorite Pumpkin Bread in a Bowl.

The following recipe reminds me of eating a thick slice of spicy-sweet gingerbread, hot out of the oven. But unlike a thick slice of gingerbread, the following cereal can be made in under five minutes. And there’s not even a need to turn on the oven!

gingerbread bowl

Pure comfort in a bowl.

Gingerbread Breakfast Cereal

(can be gluten-free)

• 1 cup flake cereal (I used Whole Foods’ bran flakes. Feel free to sub your favorite cereal.)
    • 1/3 c applesauce (or pumpkin or banana)
    • 3/4 c milk of choice (I used almond milk)
    • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
    • 1/4 tsp ground ginger
    • 1/8 tsp salt
    • 1/2 tsp cinnamon (also add a pinch of cloves and nutmeg if desired)
    • 1 T molasses (I used blackstrap, but regular is fine)
    • additional sweetener to taste (such as stevia, sugar, or even maple syrup)

Blend all ingredients together. (I use a Magic Bullet.) The cereal will have a thin consistency at first, but if you leave it in the fridge (after blending) for even just 10 minutes, it starts to get really thick! I usually make it before I run, and it’s the consistency of thick pudding by the time I return.

Click to see the Nutritional Information.

(Side notes: The cereal in the photos is mixed with my coconut whipped cream. Also, the recipe was difficult to photograph, but it tastes much better than it might appear in my photo!)

Serve with a Homemade Gingerbread Latte.

Question of the Day:

What flavors make you think of the holidays?

When I think of holiday flavors, my mind immediately goes to pears, peppermint, and eggnog. Oh, and gingerbread, of course!

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. Eggnog is my *Christmas* food/beverage of the season. I also think about cranberries (even though we tend to only have a cranberry dish for Thanksgiving).

Fruit cake (again, don’t eat it but associate it with the season)
    Peanut Brittle (we always got a tin from my aunt each year growing up)
    Several kinds of cookies we tend to only make for Christmas (not sure why, you can’t have too many cookies ever right?)
    Peppermint / candy canes (I always preferred the fruity canes growing up)

Christmas season needs to be longer. Too much fun stuff to do/eat to have it crammed into such a short time. Besides, there’s not much great in January anyway! 😉

2. Anonymous says:

Gingerbread reminds me of Christmas! The scent of ginger, cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg are reminiscent of the holidays. I also think of peppermint, chocolate, sugar cookie, and hints of citrus. Gingerbread is definitely at the top of my list though!

3. I definitely think of peppermint and cinnamon!

4. Rachael says:

Peppermint is most definitely my go to winter flavor. I could/would eat almost anything peppermint this time of year from tea, starbucks soy lattes, cookies, breakfast oatmeal…basically you name it I would eat the peppermint version of it! Yum :)

5. I love the spices of gingerbread!

6. I *heart* gingerbread too and the candy canes in the shape of a heart are too cute!

When I think of the holidays, I think of passports and sunscreen and traveling. Those are my favorite flavors besides gingerbread and peppermint (and i way prefer the winter holidays to the fall, i.e. pumpkin)

7. Kim says:

Mmmm….spices! Ever since your post about gingerbread lattes, I’ve been drinking coffees flavoured with molasses and spice every morning. So yeah, spices would have to be my cold weather association. That and oatmeal. Every year around October I start to crave it so this recipe is perfect for me!

8. Hot chocolate + peppermint is a winner in my book…. OH, and homemade sugar cookies totally top the list!

9. mmm mocha, cinnamon, peppermint. Love all those flavors!

10. AikoVenus says:

I love it – it looks so delish! I just made some non-baked gingerbread this morning for the family and this inspires me to make some more. ^^ It would be really cute to make them from fresh with tiny gingerbread cookie cutters for the cereal.

11. Rebecca says:

That looks out of this world DELICIOUS!! I love gingerbread flavored anything…especially when it counts for breakfast :)

12. Nicole K. says:

Gingerbread and peppermint are the first flavors that come to mind when I think of the holidays. My favorite between the two is by far gingerbread :)

13. Ooh that looks like such a warm and comforting breakfast. I love the idea of it thickening up in the fridge too :).

Can you add ginger to it or will it taste gingerbready enough as it is?

1. Oh I bet ginger would be an awesome addition. I’m definitely going to try that next time. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

14. Looks yummy!

It’s weird because I don’t usually like ginger, but for whatever reason this time of the year I love gingerbread… cookies, lattes, houses 😉 Peppermint is very christmasy to me as well.

15. I would have made this if I had some coconut whip. Somehow that seems essential 😛 I’ll remember it for another day, haha.

Gingerbread and peppermint are flavours that make me think of the holidays. Mmmmm I should go make a peppermint mocha…

16. Ohh you had me at under 5 minutes and no-oven required!! My mornings are always super rushed so I love recipes like this!! How do you think it would be hot though? That would make it the ultimate breakfast in my mind!!

1. It definitely would be good hot! :)

17. What a fabulous quick breakfast! Your pictures are beautiful. Love the ginger man in there! I think of ginger, cinnamon, pumpkin and peppermint! Love the holiday flavors. :)

18. Amber K says:

Peppermint and gingerbread for sure. Just gotta make sure both are gluten-free and then I can go to town!

19. Mmm…I’ve been gingerbreading up my oatmeal lately but this is a new variety that I’ll need to try!

20. yum! I heart anything gingerbread too! So good :)

21. Karina says:

this looks great!! i just posted on my blog yesterday that i was wishing for a good gingerbread oatmeal recipe…but this will work just fine (although if you do have a gingerbread oatmeal recipe i would be more than happy to try it!!)

1. I wonder if this recipe would work with cooked oats in place of the flake cereal… I bet it would :).

22. I am also a huge fan of gingerbread!! Looks like a yummy quick breakfast, Will definitly have to try soon, your photography looks beautiful!!

23. Louise Wiles says:

Would you mind sharing your coconut whipped topping? I love your website and your fabulous recipes. Thank you so much for playing such a huge part in having safe healthy alternatives.

24. I haven’t eaten much gingerbread but this looks awesome! I love that little gingerbread guy – so cute!

25. I love gingerbread, and cinnamon…all year round for me! but since i made some really yummy mincemeat the other day- and still have loads left in the fridge, i’m thinking a mincemeat breakfast oats combo is on the cards!

26. Kit-Kat says:

Sugar cookie dough flavors, peppermint, mollasses, and gingerbread….. oh, and pumpkin spice, nutmeg, and anything with baked apples!

27. Lisa says:

still cant get over how cute that gingerbread man is! who could eat him, really!?!? 😛
    holiday flavors to me are peppermint, cinnamon, pumpkin, gingerbread and even apple sometimes! :)

28. Vogelstar says:

Those candy canes are so pretty

29. I love gingerbread flavor! Almost as much as pumpkin… I need to find a good gluten free gingerbread cookie recipe!

30. MaryLee says:

I am so trying that for breakfast tomorrow! I absolutely love gingerbread too. As soon as I saw the holiday gingerbread flavor clif bar at wegmans I stocked up.

Also, celestial seasonings makes a gingerbread holiday tea that I have been having multiple times a day. Luckily my friend bought some too and didn’t like it (I can’t see how) and I ended up with a free box :)

I think the best part about gingerbread is that you can make anything taste like it with some spices and molasses, it’s such a versatile flavor!

1. I love their sugar cookie tea! I’ll have to try the gingerbread one. Thanks for the idea! :)

31. Barb says:

I love gingerbread!! This would be delicious in the morning! Thanks for the idea.

I was wondering – have you ever made frozen yogurt in your cuisinart maker? I made your ice cream the other day (it was great, by the way! thanks for the recipe!), but I’d like to make frozen yogurt as well.

1. I made pumpkin frozen yogurt once, a few months ago. It was pretty good… but it was expensive because it used up two So Delicious containers.

32. Louise Wiles says:

Awesome! Thank you so much for sharing. :)

33. Justin says:

Wow you sure do have a healthy sweet tooth. I love it! This looks like just the thing I need for tomorrow’s breakfast! ;P

34. Gingerbread is totally a holiday flavor that pops into my head immediately, but peppermint is my favorite flavor of the season. And anything pumpkin/sweet potato based. My mom has a close friend who makes these incredible spiced, toasted pecans every year, and gives them as gifts for Christmas. I have no idea what she uses to season them, but every year when we receive them as a gift, it’s like instant nostalgia. I love that feeling!

35. Yum…this looks super comforting! I always think of nutmeg, cinnamon and buttery bread during the holidays!

36. Lori says:

I LOVE all of your recipes! I make your Laura bars all the time.I love to eat them before or after a run. I love the breakfast recipes as I am bad about eating the same boring thing everyday. This looks yummy I had the pumpkin bowl today. Thanks for all the great healthy recipes!

37. One can never have too many CCK b-fast recipes. Ever.

38. Gingerbread is a great holiday flavor and your recipe looks great!

39. LizAshlee says:

Peppermint & cinnamon for sure..great idea! :)

40. Carly says:

Ok, going to store right now to get ingredients. Can’t wait to try!

41. Erica says:

I made this for breakfast this morning (I have been wanting gingerbread all week and having to help wrap plates of gingerbread cookies in my foods and nutrition class sent me over the edge lol) but I didn’t have molasses so I used maple syrup and it was soooo good! Deffinitly making it again for breakfast tomorrow! :)

42. Jess says:

Time for Gingerbread pancakes? I’m going to try this recipe tomorrow maybe with a few vegan changes!

ps I love gingerbread goodies too :)

43. renee says:

This is so yummy! I’ve been eating this style oatmeal regularly all month long (alternated w pumpkin spice, cranberry banana, pumpkin cranberry, and banana walnut bread ones), thanks to a coffee inspired drink I found

44. Camille- the college girl says:

I made this yesterday morning for my mom and I! I used rolled oats and it was delicious!! Gingerbread cookies are one of my mom’s favorite cookies, so she enjoyed this LOTSSSSSS!! Isn’t nice to make something for someone and they enjoy it so much?? It seriously warms my heart :) Thanks for all of your recipes!!

45. Mmm . . . not bad! Not bad at all!

46. Emma says:

I had this for Christmas Eve morning and Christmas Day! Words cannot describe – I have it warm, and let down with a little water after leaving overnight, it’s like eating warm, gingerbread muffin mixture! New. Favourite. Breakfast 😀

47. Anna Banana says:

Ohmygosh! I made this for breakfast today and it was phenomenal. I already sent my mother the link. I can’t wait to try the pumpkin bread in a bowl tomorrow.

48. BakeMeABallerina says:

Heavenly!!!!!!! I think I will have this every morning this fall!

49. becauseHeloves! says:

I just made this, but I used one serving of oats (cooked) instead of the flake cereal and milk, and instead of one tablespoon of molasses, I used a tablespoon of your gingerbread butter instead.
    Amazing! It was soooo thick, which is exactly how I like my oats.

50. Rachel says:

Hi Katie,
    I made this for breakfast this morning! OMG you are actually a genius it was solo delicious! I seriously cried tears of joy while eating this (and then tears of sadness when it was gone). I actually used oats instead of a flake cereal (but only used 3/4 cup) and it turned out just as delicious and thick! Thanks for your amazing recipes! Also do you have any new recipes for milkshakes or cereal breakfasts?

1. Definitely some new milkshakes :)

51. Vickie says:

Might be a dumb question BUT If i want to make this with oatmeal do i just use the oats uncooked??

52. abby says: