Gingerbread Breakfast Cereal

*Heart*

gingerbread bowl

I *heart* gingerbread.

If pumpkin is the poster child for fall, then gingerbread is winter’s darling. I kept this in mind as I blended up breakfast yesterday morning…

A seasonal twist on my favorite Pumpkin Bread in a Bowl.

The following recipe reminds me of eating a thick slice of spicy-sweet gingerbread, hot out of the oven. But unlike a thick slice of gingerbread, the following cereal can be made in under five minutes. And there’s not even a need to turn on the oven!

gingerbread bowl

Pure comfort in a bowl.

Gingerbread Breakfast Cereal

(can be gluten-free)

• 1 cup flake cereal (I used Whole Foods’ bran flakes. Feel free to sub your favorite cereal.)
    • 1/3 c applesauce (or pumpkin or banana)
    • 3/4 c milk of choice (I used almond milk)
    • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
    • 1/4 tsp ground ginger
    • 1/8 tsp salt
    • 1/2 tsp cinnamon (also add a pinch of cloves and nutmeg if desired)
    • 1 T molasses (I used blackstrap, but regular is fine)
    • additional sweetener to taste (such as stevia, sugar, or even maple syrup)

Blend all ingredients together. (I use a Magic Bullet.) The cereal will have a thin consistency at first, but if you leave it in the fridge (after blending) for even just 10 minutes, it starts to get really thick! I usually make it before I run, and it’s the consistency of thick pudding by the time I return.

Click to see the Nutritional Information.

(Side notes: The cereal in the photos is mixed with my coconut whipped cream. Also, the recipe was difficult to photograph, but it tastes much better than it might appear in my photo!)

ginger-man_thumb

Serve with a Homemade Gingerbread Latte.

Question of the Day:

What flavors make you think of the holidays?

When I think of holiday flavors, my mind immediately goes to pears, peppermint, and eggnog. Oh, and gingerbread, of course!

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. Eggnog is my *Christmas* food/beverage of the season. I also think about cranberries (even though we tend to only have a cranberry dish for Thanksgiving).

Fruit cake (again, don’t eat it but associate it with the season)
    Peanut Brittle (we always got a tin from my aunt each year growing up)
    Several kinds of cookies we tend to only make for Christmas (not sure why, you can’t have too many cookies ever right?)
    Peppermint / candy canes (I always preferred the fruity canes growing up)

Christmas season needs to be longer. Too much fun stuff to do/eat to have it crammed into such a short time. Besides, there’s not much great in January anyway! 😉

2. Anonymous says:

Gingerbread reminds me of Christmas! The scent of ginger, cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg are reminiscent of the holidays. I also think of peppermint, chocolate, sugar cookie, and hints of citrus. Gingerbread is definitely at the top of my list though!

3. I definitely think of peppermint and cinnamon!

4. Rachael says:

Peppermint is most definitely my go to winter flavor. I could/would eat almost anything peppermint this time of year from tea, starbucks soy lattes, cookies, breakfast oatmeal…basically you name it I would eat the peppermint version of it! Yum 🙂

5. I love the spices of gingerbread!

6. Kim says:

Mmmm….spices! Ever since your post about gingerbread lattes, I’ve been drinking coffees flavoured with molasses and spice every morning. So yeah, spices would have to be my cold weather association. That and oatmeal. Every year around October I start to crave it so this recipe is perfect for me!

7. Hot chocolate + peppermint is a winner in my book…. OH, and homemade sugar cookies totally top the list!

8. mmm mocha, cinnamon, peppermint. Love all those flavors!

9. AikoVenus says:

I love it – it looks so delish! I just made some non-baked gingerbread this morning for the family and this inspires me to make some more. ^^ It would be really cute to make them from fresh with tiny gingerbread cookie cutters for the cereal.

10. Nicole K. says:

Gingerbread and peppermint are the first flavors that come to mind when I think of the holidays. My favorite between the two is by far gingerbread 🙂

11. Ooh that looks like such a warm and comforting breakfast. I love the idea of it thickening up in the fridge too :).

Can you add ginger to it or will it taste gingerbready enough as it is?

1. Oh I bet ginger would be an awesome addition. I’m definitely going to try that next time. Thanks for the suggestion! 🙂

12. I would have made this if I had some coconut whip. Somehow that seems essential 😛 I’ll remember it for another day, haha.

Gingerbread and peppermint are flavours that make me think of the holidays. Mmmmm I should go make a peppermint mocha…

13. Ohh you had me at under 5 minutes and no-oven required!! My mornings are always super rushed so I love recipes like this!! How do you think it would be hot though? That would make it the ultimate breakfast in my mind!!

1. It definitely would be good hot! 🙂

14. What a fabulous quick breakfast! Your pictures are beautiful. Love the ginger man in there! I think of ginger, cinnamon, pumpkin and peppermint! Love the holiday flavors. 🙂

15. Amber K says:

Peppermint and gingerbread for sure. Just gotta make sure both are gluten-free and then I can go to town!

16. Mmm…I’ve been gingerbreading up my oatmeal lately but this is a new variety that I’ll need to try!

17. yum! I heart anything gingerbread too! So good 🙂

18. Louise Wiles says:

Would you mind sharing your coconut whipped topping? I love your website and your fabulous recipes. Thank you so much for playing such a huge part in having safe healthy alternatives.