Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Sugar Cookie Ice Cream

I just want you for my own.

More than you could ever know. Make my wish come true…

All I want for Christmas is You!

When it comes to holiday decorating, I like to go all-out: sparkly garland hugging the banisters, stuffed snowmen adorning the mantle, no-nonsense nutcrackers standing guard at the kitchen table… Nothing escapes my holiday-happy hands. Nothing; not even the food:

It’s like a holiday on a wafer cone.

To get the beautiful swirls, all I did was mix the sprinkles into the ice cream. As I stirred, they melted into the base, causing the gorgeous colors above! I’m sure this would work with any sprinkles, not just Christmas ones.

Christmas Cookie Dough Ice Cream

Inspired by this recipe.

• 2 cups milk of choice or nondairy creamer or canned coconut milk (see note below)
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar (or agave, maple syrup, or other such sweetener)
  • 1 packet stevia (omit if using agave or maple syrup)
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1 and 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • a few drops pure peppermint extract, if desired
  • raw sugar cookie dough (recipe linked below)
  • red and green sprinkles (I used tiny dots)

Mix the first five ingredients in a dish. Then transfer to your ice cream maker and watch the magic! (I have a Cuisinart, and it took 15 minutes to turn the liquid into ice cream. Warning: Make sure your ice cream maker’s base is completely frozen before use, or it will NOT work!) After desired consistency is reached, turn off the ice cream maker and fold in pieces of cookie dough. I also stirred in a quick shake of sprinkles, as mentioned above.

For the cookie dough, I used this recipe: Healthy Sugar Cookies.

The texture of this ice cream will be richer if you use canned coconut milk or creamer. It will be more like ice milk if you use a lower-fat milk (such as Blue Diamond almond milk). Serve right away, or thaw before serving.

Question of the Day:
Do you have a favorite holiday song?

I really like Paul McCartney’s “Wonderful Christmas Time.” And classics, like “Santa Baby,” or even “Jingle Bells.” But nothing makes me smile as much as when that crazy song “I want a hippopotamus for Christmas” comes onto the radio.

Tags: , , ,

1. Hee Hee – I love “I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus” by John Mellencamp. I always rock it out to that song. Your ice cream looks so festive! Definitely looks like peppermint ice cream! :-)

2. Can this be Christmas dinner?! 😉

3. I’ve loved jingle bell rock since watching Mean Girls. 😀 Your ice-cream looks beautiful!

4. Delicious! I am in love with the Michael Buble holiday album. Especially his version of All I Want For Christmas Is You. Love it!

5. Moni'sMeals says:

Do you have a favorite holiday song? SO MANY! I have also been rocking out to the local holiday station what feels like 247 so I have a few new ones too. :)

6. That looks delish and I’m impressed you got the pics taken before it melts!

Here in Aruba everything is melting before my very eyes in all my pics…which I guess the side benefit is that I have learned to get faster. Sort of. But I also get lots of blur. lol

Great job.

7. THis is all out Christmas! Mmmm! Peppermint ice cream- mmmmm!

8. Jennifer JCD says:

Very beautiful, Katie! I may have to dig the ice cream maker out of the freezer this weekend and try this!

Favourite Christmas Song: While You Were Sleeping by Casting Crowns
    Favourite Christmas Carol: Silent Night
    Oh… my iPod is loaded with Christmas songs right now: Bing Crosby, Jars of Clay, Casting Crowns, Third Day, and some random other classics. So much fun.

9. Yum! And pretty!! I really should drag my ice cream maker out of storage for this….fave Xmas song? Definitely Fall Out Boy’s “Yule Shoot Your Eye Out.” It’s kinda dark, kind of a break-up song….but whatevs.

10. Kit-Kat says:

Oh, yummy ice cream! The colors are so pretty and tempting! :-)
    I love a lot of Christmas music, but my fave is probably Jesu Joy of Man’s Desiring. I used to call it “My Christmas Song” when I was little.

11. I love the colours in this! I’m not a huge ice cream in winter person but anything with cookie dough in the name generally wins me over 😉

12. I want a hippopotamus for Christmas!!! best song ever.
    This ice cream looks so pretty. I dont like peppermint but im dying to make my own ice cream.

13. Beth says:

Is there a way to make this without an ice cream maker?

1. This one is similar, and it doesn’t use an ice cream maker. But it does need a Vita-Mix:

14. My favorite song is the one you used in the beginning of this post :) Mariah Carey’s voice gives me chills!

15. Amber K says:

I like the entire Point of Grace Christmas album. That totally makes me feel like it’s Christmas!

16. That looks just like my favorite peppermint ice cream!!!

17. The hippo song always makes me smile. As for “real” Christmas songs though, I’m a huge fan of Holy Night. It gives me chills!
    This ice cream is gorgeous! So festive :)

18. As long as it involves Michael Buble, I’m content :)

19. So glad you mentioned the hippopotamus for Christmas song. It’s so fun! There is another one about animals called Dominic the donkey that is pretty funny too.

20. My favorite Christmas song is Sleigh Ride, but you can’t go wrong with Mariah Carey’s All I Want for Christmas Is You :)

21. Cookie dough ice cream is my favorite! Thanks so much for creating this!

22. LizAshlee says:

No way, you are too much…what a fantastic idea..I luv the red/green suiting!

23. Your ice cream cones looks so pretty!! I want an ice cream maker 😀

24. Justin says:

I love the colors and swirls in it all. I have to ask, how long did it take you to eat it?

25. This looks so so good! My favourite Christmas song would be It’s a Marshmellow World in the Winter :)

26. Ellen says:

Oooooh, cookie dough ice cream, you call my name…:)
    As for holiday music, this time if year my ballet teachers start using music from the Nutcracker, which is really pretty.

27. Catey Kay says:

That’s it — I need an ice cream maker pronto!

I also adore “Wonderful Christmas Time” by Sir Paul McCartney, as well as “Happy Xmas (War is Over )” by John Lennon, “Feliz Navidad” by José Feliciano, and “You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch”. And, indubiously any song that involves a choir of British children singing!

28. Kate says:

Oooh, the colors kind of make it look like spumoni! It’s supposed to be over 70 degrees on Christmas here- definitely ice cream weather.

29. I just saw this on Pinterest and then came to your site, not even realizing it was the same. Your ice cream looks so delicious! Your have so many recipes I want to try I can hardly keep up!

30. funny you should mention Santa Baby…. i teach a pole dance class at my local gym and I choreographed a routine to that song last week as a little bit of christmas fun for my class! 😉

31. That icecream looks like the kind you get at the store!!! WOW! I cannot believe that is homemade!!! You are such a proffesional! I love that I can make HEALTHY icecream at home now! :)

32. This ice cream seriously looks sooo pretty! 😀

33. It’s so pretty and festive. My toddler wants some right now. Is drooling over the photo.

I don’t have a specific favorite holiday song, but I’ve always liked “Christmas Wrapping” by the Waitresses and the music on the She & Him Christmas CD. My hubby likes Mariah Carey’s “All I Want for Christmas is You,” but don’t tell anybody 😉

34. —Cotton Candy in a cone! Brilliant.

You. Rock. The. Universe.

35. Jen E says:

Our ice cream maker is always left out just in case lol. I can’t wait to try this I’m a peppermint snob 😉

36. Claire says:

Thank you Katie. I just made this ice cream with Trader Joes light coconut milk (14 oz. can) and added 2 oz of west soy unsweetened soy milk. My 4 kids think they hit the jackpot this Christmas!

37. <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

38. Katie says:

OMG! 0.0 Im amazed. Before I became vegan this was my favorite icecream and I never found a replacer. So amazing!

39. Sarah says:

Hey Katie, I have a question… First, I LOVE your ice cream and frappocino recipes!! You’re a genius and I think you should win an award for creating them!!

My question is…do you change a recipe at all if you use your ice cream maker as opposed to freezing and then using your Vitamix? Or do you use the same ingredients and amounts no matter which way you make ice cream? Also, are there any differences in results between the two methods? Is one smoother or more ice cream like? Like I said, I loooove your ice cream recipes, but my blender does not create the best results (it’s not a very expensive one)…. so I’m trying to decide if I should buy an ice cream maker or save up for a Vitamix! I’d love your thoughts :)

1. I guess I’d go with the ice cream maker. There’s not THAT big of a difference between the two that if you’re only wanting a vita for ice cream you couldn’t get away with an ice cream maker for much less. :)

1. Sarah says:

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!!

I want to buy a Vitamix eventually for… everything else! But I need to save up for that.

Is there any quality difference in the ice cream? Or do you have a preference for Vitamix vs Ice Cream Maker ice cream?! Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make a good choice… and you’re the expert!

40. Lauren says:

My family always got a laugh out of Christmas novelty songs like “I want a hippopatamous for Christmas” or “Dominic the Italian Christmas donkey”

41. Cake Girl says:

this looks delicious. Cant believe is guilt free.

42. Rhonda says:

My being a diabetic I was wondering what the nutrition values are of this ice cream thank u…

43. midsummer says:

I constantly spent my half an hour to read this blog’s content everyday along with a mug of coffee.

44. Logan Can says:

Hi! This looks delicious! Can I link back to your recipe in my ice cream round up post next week?