Double-Decker Coconut Berry Sandwich

I’ve been single for two years.

Sure, I’ve gone on dates, and even a blind date.

But it’s been quite a while since my last serious relationship. I kinda like being single! (Not that I want to be single forever, but it’s fun for now.) My roommate is single at the moment, too, and so we were each others’ date for Valentine’s Day—for breakfast, at least.

oatfudge2

I made us each a bowl of this: Hot Fudge Oatmeal.

It was a very low-key Valentine’s Day. Emily cleaned around the house, and I did blog work (including dealing with a giant tech-issue headache. Running this blog takes a lot more work than it might seem!) I also tested a few recipe experiments. The best one of the day was peanut butter maple fudge. Yummmmm…

Later, I incorporated the leftover strawberries into my lunch:

coconut butter sandwich

Double-Decker Coconut Berry Sandwich

(Really more of a concept than a recipe.)

• Fresh strawberries, sliced
  • Soft coconut butter or Homemade Coconut Butter
  • Bread of choice
  • optional: jam, chocolate chips, etc.

To assemble the sandwich: Spread a layer of coconut butter on one or both slices of the bread (or pita, sandwich thin, etc. Optional: layer on some jam and/or chocolate chips. (You can also opt for a sprinkle of sugar or stevia if you have an extreme sweet tooth and want more of a cake-like sandwich.) Slice the strawberries on top and close up your sandwich. Eat!

For this particular sandwich, I used a Mrs. Bairds whole-grain grillin thin. They’re vegan, and they’re really good! (I’d originally bought the package so I could have a bun for my Amy’s Bistro burger at a party last week.)

coconut butter sandwich

That’s my giant salad in the background, with a boring (but delicious) olive-oil vinaigrette. Not the prettiest background choice for a photoshoot, but when I am hungry I don’t want to bother with a photoshoot. I just want to eat! (It’s one of the reasons I rarely post about my savory meals. Who wants to stop and take photos while your dinner gets cold?)

love sandwich

love sandwich

Question of the Day:

Would you rather be single or in a relationship?

Being single is definitely easier, but I don’t want to be single forever… I’ve set such high standards that sometimes I worry I will be! The things you have to work for are the most rewarding, and I guess it depends on the other person in the relationship. I’ve had some really fun, meaningful relationships and one that was not-so-great from the very beginning. (It was a high school fling, though, so maybe it shouldn’t even count!)

My favorite Valentine’s Day was when my boyfriend surprised me.

But this year, my single friends and I had a “girls-only” night, and that was pretty fun too. I made a chocolate truffle pie for the night… the recipe will be in tomorrow’s post!

Tags: , , , , ,

1. I am single, but I’d rather be in a relationship. I’ve been single for way too long. most of my life. I’m at the point where I’d really just like someone to be there, someone to depend on! And that sandwich looks so delicious

2. Being a married lady- it’s a wonderful thing to be in a relationship! I wouldn’t have it any other way! 🙂
    Your breakfast is looking delicious! Mmmmmm! I want a big bowl of those oats!

3. When I was single I never really minded it, I would always go out with my girlfriends on Valentine’s day instead but I must admit it is very nice to spend it with my boyfriend this year, it made the day have more meaning!

4. It’s like a healthy strawberry shortcake!!
    I can’t wait until summer when berries are back in season!!

5. Michaela says:

Looks so good!
    Being single definitely has a lot of positive sides to it. For example, I was travelling so much recently, constantly moving, too, so it was great that I was single. But I wish I was in a relationship, to be honest. I am ready to settle somewhere (with that I mean location-wise ;)) and would love to meet “the one” 🙂
    I think all singles should reunite on Valentine´s Day!!

6. Relationship for sure, but there were MANY years I loved being single. I dated a lot, but never found that spark! But 1 year ago today I married my very best friend – so now I don’t want to spend another Valentine’s day alone!!

Looks beautiful!

Jessica

7. I can’t say I mind being single at this point in my life. I am very independent and really love spending time with my friends a roommates a lot right now. I’m sure after college I’ll want the comfort of a relationship though.

8. Elaine says:

I am single and happy, but would not mind being in a relationship. I constantly have to remind myself there are men worth having out there…. My work exposes me to a constant stream of dead beat dad’s. I so need to change jobs.

9. Kelsey @ Clean Teen Kelsey says:

Katie! I miss you! I haven’t commented or blogged in forever. 🙁 this post is great though. That sandwich looks to die for. I’m single, always have been, but i’m in high school still so I think that’s how it should be. 🙂

10. Barb says:

I’m all for being single and loving it – I think it makes you more comfortable with who you are, and really lets you find yourself. HOWEVER, i absolutely love being in a relationship and experiencing things with someone else. I think this is for me because I have a strong sense of who I am, and being with my boyfriend has actually enhanced me as a person, and not changed me 🙂

Happy Valentines Day! <3

11. Kimberly says:

I’m married. I love it. BUT. . . I really loved being single. My high school students lament that they aren’t in a relationship when V Day rolls around, but my very best memory of Valentine’s day is when I was single. Made myself some super yummy dinner, ate a pint of ice cream, painted my toe nails and watched what ever I wanted! Sometimes I miss those days. Being single is fun, and being married is great!

12. I’m married, and I absolutely LOVE married life. It’s like a sleepover with your best friend that never ends. I think it is awesome that you set high standards when it comes to dating. No need to settle!

Coconut butter is the best – I ate it on a sweet potato last night.

13. Crystal says:

Hey Katie! New fan that is still going through the recipe mountains you’ve created in your blog so I can stuff my face with ooey-gooey healthy deliciousness! 🙂

I am married, and I love being married. My husband and I have gone through many difficulties in our marriage (the hardest being long distance…while we were married…long story, but it has a very happy ending), and I think Valentines day is a commercial excuse for people to buy stuff. It may sound negative of me, but while we were apart we had to find creative ways to show each other our thoughts and feelings. So aside from many webcam dates with each other and our kids, we wrote each other snail-mail, sent each other homemade cards, one-liner “I’m thinking of you” emails, and surprise presents in the mail. And we were able to persevere through it, no matter how hard. Valentines Day for us, then, isn’t about getting presents because of a titled day….it’s just a reminder of everything we’ve gone through, and how much better each day is because of it.

I hope that everyone finds what I have…because honestly, it’s great! 🙂

And try the sandwich with your banana butter (which I made with almond/hazelnut butter instead of pb)…..DELISH!!!!!! Lol….it’s what I had for breakfast….. 😀

1. I agree with you 100%! I feel like people use Valentine’s Day as an excuse to NOT pay attention to each other and show love to each other every other day of the year.

It’s like, “Ok I’ve shown my love on Valentine’s Day. Now I’m good for the year.”

But still, Valentine’s Day is one of my favorite holidays… because of all the chocolate ;).

1. Crystal says:

Mmmm…chocolate!!! Have to agree with you on that one! 😉

14. Lynn says:

Having one year of marrige under my belt, I admit I still miss the single gal days… sometimes. Its not that going out with expectations of meeting Mr. Right or Mr. Wrong, but the joy of being around my other single friends and just letting go! I love my hubs, but every once in a while I need a good girls nite out!

15. Tonya Parker says:

I have been married for 8.5 years and I can’t imagine having spent that time with anyone else. So, while I loved the freedom of single-hood, married ain’t too shabby either.

16. Laurie says:

I have to admit after being married for almost 17 years that I can’t imagine life any other way. I have an amazing husband who is so thoughtful and caring. We have our differences at times but he is my BEST friend. I have to admit that I didn’t ever really like being single. I was always on the lookout for Mr. Right and to me that was stressful.

Thanks for such an amazing blog Katie. My kids LOVED the cornbread and cookie dough pie I made last night for Valentine’s day. In fact, my 7 year old said it was the BEST he had ever had. He will not eat beans, because in his opinion they taste yucky, so my secret ingredient is going to continue to stay a secret in that pie. Thanks for all of the fun and amazing recipes.

1. Awww that makes me so incredibly happy!! 🙂 🙂

17. Suzy says:

“Old” married lady here, been with my sweetie for 16 years. I always thought I’d be single til I met him, he was my destiny.

I am loving the idea of the strawberry sandwich, maybe even with a lil bit of that chocolate shaved on it.

Thanks for a sweet and chocolatey giveaway!

18. Kaley Shoaf says:

That strawberry sandwich also looks like a delicious breakfast!