Flourless Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

classic oatmeal cookies made with ingredients you probably have at home... and absolutely NO flour

Food Network Challenge!

Last weekend, a group of us met up for an informal soccer game at my friend Matt’s house. Afterwards, as everyone sat around with a beer, one of my friends jokingly asked, “Where’s dessert, Katie? You always bring dessert.”

It’s true. I’m constantly pawning off food on friends, because I like to get as many opinions as possible before deciding if a recipe is worthy of sharing on the website. Somehow the joking ended with me standing in Matt’s impoverished kitchen, wondering what the heck I could possibly make with so few ingredients. It felt like an episode of Chopped!

When I saw raisins, my first thought was: No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies.

But Matt’s cabinets were not only lacking in the peanut butter department, they also hosted absolutely no chocolate! None. Not one chip, not one bar, nothing. I wanted to run away, right then and there. (A person without chocolate should never be trusted!) Instead, I put on a brave face and took stock of the available ingredients. I had to improvise a little, such as using water in place of almond milk. Still, the cookies were a gigantic success, with everyone agreeing the recipe was blog-worthy.

flourless cookies

Flourless Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

(gluten-free)

• 3/4 cup rolled oats
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar (If you prefer, click for: Sugar-Free Oatmeal Cookies.)
  • 1 tbsp plus 2 tsp white sugar or evaporated cane juice
  • 2 tbsp raisins
  • 1 tbsp oil or pre-melted margarine
  • 1-2 tbsp milk of choice (start with 1)

Blend first 5 ingredients together in a food processor or blender. (I used a Magic Bullet.) Mix with other ingredients, form into cookie shapes, and place on a greased cookie sheet. Cook 6 minutes at 375 F. This recipe makes a small batch; if I remember correctly, it yields around 11 cookies. I made a much bigger batch for the group by tripling all of the ingredients.

View Fourless Oatmeal Raisin Cookies Nutrition Facts

dog cookies

When I brought the remaining cookies home for a photoshoot, someone kept watching me…

Waiting to pounce!

katie cookie

Want a cookie??

Do you ever watch the Food Network?

Oddly enough, I actually don’t like watching cooking shows. Maybe it’s because my job revolves around food, but in my free time I want to do things that have absolutely nothing to do with food!

Well, except I do often like to look at this website.

But that’s mostly because I enjoy the photography and artistic aspects of the photos. (I guess it can also be argued this isn’t really my free time; I’m observing others to try and improve my own photography skills.)

Tags: , ,

1. I love watching the food network while I’m in the gym 😉 There’s something so amusingly ironic about watching people whip up macaroni or cupcakes while I get my calorie-burn on.

1. Trish says:

Faith, I like to watch Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives in my house while I’m doing donkey kicks and lunges, lol. Oh, the irony. :-)

2. Lauren says:

Girl, you are so gorgeous!

I am so jealous of your hair! Do you have any tips for how to get it that shiny and healthy? Or are you just lucky and were born with good hair? Mine is so dry and flat, and yours always looks so beautiful. Any tips would be so appreciated :).

1. Emily says:

You are beautiful, Katie. An obvious attestment to a healthy, vegan diet and taking good care of yourself. You are radiant!
      And I lol-ed at the little puppy.

1. Thank you both so much! Lauren, I wrote a post about my haircare routine (it’s pretty basic) here:

Also, eating enough fat is important! :)

3. I actually love watching food channels – but not so much for recipe ideas, I like shows like Chopped, Top Chef, and Worst Cooks in America. Worst Cooks makes me feel like a pretty darn good cook. 😉

OK a person without chocolate OR peanut butter that has raisins in their cupboard??? That is beyond seriously wrong.

4. I love the food network. Buuuuut it seems like I only tune in when I’m hungry. Coincidence? I think not. And it’s ALWAYS on at the gym. Always.

Those cookies look phenomenal! Yum!

5. Samantha says:

Good morning. Love the cute little dog just waiting…

I don’t enjoy cooking shows at all! I find them terrible boring and don’t tend to learn much from them. They also don’t tend to make things I care about. The advantage of online is that I can usually tell right away if the recipe is something I would like and have the “skills” to do. I also pay attention to the photos.

Thanks for this latest recipe! I love basic and quick. And have a great day.

1. Samantha says:

So I definitely went more the flourless chocolate chip cookie route (I love that you post one recipe and it gets me looking at the others). I did peanut butter in place of the oil (one of those kind of days) and also needed no added white sugar. I did a couple of drops of vanilla.

I think because of the peanut butter mine benefited from being patted down for baking. I will try with oil/margarine next time…I just needed the peanut butter fix today (in fact I made cookies because I was eating just chocolate chips and peanut butter…I decided it was time to be more creative. :)

Fun and easy! I was going to make the truffle pie from a couple of posts ago but that will have to wait!

6. Michaela says:

hahahaha, that could have been me! I love improvising in the kitchen!

7. Erin says:

I like some of the shows on Food Network, but I don’t have cable or Netflix or anything like that. I actually like Cake Boss a lot though, which I believe comes on TLC 😀

And I love that you posted this recipe! I was thinking just yesterday that I’d like to make some gluten-free oatmeal raisin cookies. You read my mind :)

8. beatrice says:

finally wait until you have recipes without chocolate, haha just joking but i’ll definitely try this new cookie!!!

9. you have lucky friends! dessert on command, literally 😉 I do enjoy watching the food network when I’m home from school but I don’t have any cable living in my apartment so I don’t watch it often!

10. Oooh, I love oatmeal raisin cookies (actually, my husband loves them more) – and I’m constantly looking for ways to make them healthier so I will definitely have to try this – thanks!

11. Colleen says:

I’m headed to the kitchen right now! Gotta love that magic bullet and love the puppy! I hope he/she got a cookie!

1. Emily says:

Me too! I have all the ingredients on hand, for once :).

12. VegAlexandra says:

You said that you used white sugar in this recipe…. Are you aware that white sugar isn’t vegan?? It’s processed through charred bone to make it more “white”.

Or do you buy a vegan version?? But, since you were at your friends… was it vegan?

1. anonymous says:

Actually, some white sugar IS vegan. But also, I think Katie does a really good job of showing veganism as “doable” for the masses, as opposed to getting nit picky and worrying about trace ingredients when really that would turn more people off to the movement. We need to remember that the bigger goal here is not to eat as perfectly vegan as possible, but to inspire as many people as possible to adopt as cruelty-free a diet as possible. Here’s a really good debate about it: http://www.animalsuffering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9878

2. Kathy says:

White sugar is vegan, and not all white sugar is processed with bone char either.

13. I love the photo with your dog in the background. Your photos impress me every time, but that one might just be a favorite.

14. What a yummy and quick recipe! I love it! …..Food Network is always on in my house, maily because I can multi-task while it is on and I don’t feel the need to be 100% into it…. Thanks for sharing such a great recipe!

15. I would say u did pretty good in the baking challenge :) those cookies look great!
    my mom made similar ones for me last xmas!

16. Moni'sMeals says:

These are my kind of recipe! I am always creating simple recipes myself and have yet to do a Oatmeal Cookie, this will work and I love how you just whipped it up.

Food network I watch yes and no…It depends, some of it is just overboard!

17. YUM! Looks delicious. I sometimes watch the food network- I love it.

18. I love Food Network! Chopped is one of my favorite episodes. It’s just so intense!!

19. I don’t have cable anymore, so I don’t watch food shows anymore. I didn’t like Food Network so much these last few years, but I do like the Cooking Channel. I hate the challenge shows though. The cookies look simply delicious!

20. Sarah the official CCK drooler says:

I happen to be quite a Food Network junkie. Can you BELIEVE i used to crush on Jamie Oliver? Dang it.BTW- i never tried your fudge babies before (not sure why) but used the recipe for the crust of the truffle pie. Let me just say, thanks to me and my sister, there was hardly any left for the crust! Everyone loved it so we sill make some to eat on our trip to NC this weekend. mmm mmm good :)