Peanut Butter Sandwich Bread

Guess what…

You probably already have all the ingredients to make this:

peanut butter and jelly bread

So there’s no excuse not to make it.

Lame excuse #1:

“But I’m at work right now and can’t leave my office.”

Solution: Tell your boss you’re taking the rest of the day off for personal reasons. Better yet, tell him/her you’re going home to make peanut butter bread and you promise to bring a slice in return for a raise. (Then conveniently “forget” to save a piece. When you taste how good this bread is, you will see that the raise just isn’t worth it.)

peanut butter bread

Lame excuse #2: “I’m too lazy.”

There’s no yeast in this super-simple recipe, and you don’t need a mixer or even a blender. The prep work takes just 5 minutes!

Lame excuse #3: “I don’t like peanut butter.”

Solution: Then make this bread with almond butter, or cashew butter, pea butter, sun butter, whatever.  Bam. Problem solved. If only all problems were so easy to fix.

peanut butter and jelly bread

Lame excuse #4:

(You’re still going? Really??)

Just go make it already! 😉

peanut butter bread

Peanut Butter Sandwich Bread

(Yields 1 regular-sized loaf)

Recipe found here: Healthy Peanut Butter Recipes.

• 2 cups spelt flour or white whole-wheat flour (or white, or gf all-purpose) (If using the gf all-purpose, it will work without xantham gum, but for best results add 2 tsp)
  • 1/3 to 1/2 cup peanut butter (or nut butter of choice)
  • 2 tbsp applesauce (or 2 tbsp more pb, or mashed banana, )
  • sweetener (see recipe directions for amount)
  • 1/8 tsp uncut stevia extract (or 1/4 cup more sugar, or 4 stevia packets)
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt (I used salted pb as well)
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups milk of choice
  • optional: chocolate chips, chopped peanuts

You can use any of the following as your sweetener: brown sugar, xylitol, coconut sugar, regular sugar, or evaporated cane juice. If you want a sandwich bread, use 1/3 cup. If you prefer a sweeter peanut butter bread, increase sweetener to 2/3 cup. (Either way, also add the 5th ingredient in the ingredient list.)

Preheat oven to 375 F. Mix the dry ingredients very well. Then mix in wet. (If your pb isn’t super-creamy, microwave it 40 seconds, or until soft.) Pour into a sprayed loaf pan and bake 40-45 minutes. Let cool at least 15 minutes before slicing.

View Nutrition Facts

Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Milkshake

For peanut butter overload, serve with: PB Cookie Dough Milkshake.

Question of the Day:

Do you like a specific type of bread for sandwiches?

I usually like plain whole-wheat bread (or sometimes Ezekiel cinnamon-raisin). And I just discovered Whole Foods’ “health starts here” chia bread, which is also really good. But homemade bread is the best… If only I could find the time to make it!

Tags: , , , ,

1. I don’t make sandwiches often so don’t really have a sandwich bread of choice. I love the idea of peanut butter bread though. Would have been fun in grade school to just slap the jam on and away I go!

I do love English muffins. I’ll usually pick between those and sour dough if I’m out for a morning breakfast somewhere.

2. Peanut butter bread :O Omg… I’m actually free today so I shouldn’t have any excuses…

3. Kira says:

My Excuse: being stuck in residence with no kitchen 🙁 But as soon as I get home tomorrow this will be in my oven, GF with Cashew-Almond Butter… Yum!!

4. I use Udi’s bread! and that bread sounds delicious!

5. Sarah the official CCK drooler says:

OH MY WORD!!!! Than you SO much! My sister and brother were recently told they can couldn’t have gluten/dairy- which was a total bummer for them but especially my bread addicted brother. My mom has been pretty frantic trying to find gluten free recipes. this is a life saver for her and will be great cuz he loves pb too! So a big THANK YOU from my family to yours 🙂
    Did I actually just write a serious comment? That NEVER happens. And probably never will again 🙂 Maturity people, maturity.

6. Diane Pierce says:

Just put a loaf in the oven. Seeing the grandkids this weekend and going to serve the bread with homemade apple butter. Love your recipes, Katie. The pumpkin brownies were awesome!!!

1. Sarahishealthy says:

I just put mine in the oven too!

It might come out a little small, because I kept eating the batter! It was so good!

1. Sarahishealthy says:

Aaaaand it’s out. And better than I even could’ve imagined!

OMGZOMG this is good. Dangerously good. If anyone has any doubts about making this recipe, don’t! I think I’m in love.

1. Casey says:

What sweetener did you choose to use? Just curious. Planning to make it myself. Considering omitting the sweetner altogether.

1. Samantha says:

Hi Casey –

For the version I made today I went full sugar and used white sugar. Because this was a new recipe for me and I wanted to include it in a bake sale I didn’t spent a lot of time experimenting with the the sugar differences.

I also added a small amount of chocolate chunk mini-chips. And I used more peanut butter rather than applesauce. Had I used the applesauce the sweetness might have been different.

So with 2/3 + 1/4 cup white sugar (but no applesauce) I can tell you that it wasn’t overly sweet at all. I started with the 2/3, combined everything, tested, and then added the addition 1/4. For a bake sale I wanted more of a “dessert” bread.

I hope this helps.

7. Samantha says:

Sigh. I could never get sick of anything with peanut butter. This one is already saved for later.

Right now I am on a whole wheat english muffin kick which I am piling things on more open faced style. I definitely tend towards the wheaty/grainy sorts. I agree with you I would make more bread myself if I had the time and the patience. 🙂

8. Sarahishealthy says:

I used to like Oroweat. I think you said you did, too? But now apparently they are no longer vegan! 🙁

1. I did! I used to buy it a lot, but haven’t recently. Just googled and saw it does now have milk… weird 🙁

9. Karen says:

WHAT? I just finished all the milk in the house????

10. Anika says:

Katie, my vegan bread always come out dry or gummy. any tips?

1. Um, I guess it depends on the recipe? Maybe not enough fat?

2. Sadie says:

I’ve often found that vegan baked goods come out gummy if you add too much liquid. Vegan batters need to be really thick in order to come out fluffy. Also, try adding more baking powder/soda.

11. I absolutely adore Ezekiel 7 grain bread for ALL of my sandwiches 🙂

Sprouted bread keeps me full a million times longer than any other bread!

12. Janae says:

I just went gluten-free about 3 months ago and yet to have found a good bread I really love. I like Udi’s bread, but it’s not completely vegan (I think they include egg whites). Anyone have a great GF bread to recommend, b/c I LOVE bread & am dying here.

1. Do they have Genius bread in America? It’s the best GF bread I’ve found in England…

2. Erin K says:

Do you have a Whole Foods near you? I love their GF sandwich bread. I also think Rudi’s is better than Udi’s, but I haven’t found a GF bread that I will eat as anything other than toast.

13. Luvena says:

Hi Katie,

Do you think the bread will come out without any sugar? Or do you have any other suggestions if I want to make it sugar free?
    Thanks

Luvena

1. Therese says:

Luvena, I’ve had success in a LOT of recipes using pureed dates and Stevia in the Raw Baker’s Stevia. Sugar free is a big issue for me. You might try putting the dates, PButter, applesauce/banana and milk all in a blender/food processor together. I usually squish the dates in a measuring cup and then add more to equal the sugar 3/4 cups dates = 1/2 cup sugar, (sort of) Then add the bakers stevia until it tastes sweet enough. Okay, it’s not an exact science, but it works.

2. The xylitol version is sugar-free. But yeah I think you could omit completely… can’t vouch for the taste though!

1. michelle says:

Which did u use? I finally bought Xylitol

3. Ashleigh says:

I made this bread last night, and completely omitted the sweetner, but did still add the 4 packets of stevia. It was still absolutely delicious and had a wonderful texture!

1. Anonymous says:

Ashleigh Thank you so for letting us know!!!!

14. fabulous bread!! Man, if it wasn’t so hot out right now I’d make it!!!

1. Justine Duppong @ Life With Cheeseburgers says:

Lol another excuse! I can’t use that one…I live in ND and it’s raining… 😉

15. That does sound so easy and I do have all those ingredients on hand. Ha-my man is obsessed with bread making so maybe I’ll woo him with my nonexistent cooking skills. 😉

16. Barb says:

I think my bread maker is tied with my cuisinart ice cream maker for most used appliance in my house! I bake bread all the time and I love experimenting with different grains/seeds to add in. I also like adding a little maple syrup instead of sugar. I’ll have to add some PB next time! Although your bread looks super easy, and I can’t wait to try it as well!

17. Holy. Moly. This looks SO good. I love peanut butter. I love bread. And now because of this, I think I love you 🙂

18. Anything with peanut butter gets my approval. Well, maybe not peanut butter mashed potatoes. Luckily you aren’t asking for approval of that.

I’m making this – it look SOOO easy! Thanks, Katie.

19. I love that idea – having the pb baked in so you just have to spread some jelly on and you’re good to go! I don’t use the term genius lightly Katie but you might be gettin there 😉 !

20. Marisha says:

Katie!! Simply no words. I think I will make this and a yummy Strawberry Coconut Butter recipe I found so I can have yummy breakfast next week. Thanks!!