Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Here is what happened on Saturday…

Such a creative post title.

blissful bites

The most exciting part of Saturday’s vegan bake sale wasn’t the food.

It was getting to finally meet my friend, Christy, in person. (She’s the author of the fabulous vegan cookbook, Blissful Bites, and 23 of her recipes are also in the new Skinny B*tch cookbook… so basically, I felt like I met a celebrity :).) I was also lucky enough to meet Jade, the incredible girl who organized the entire bake sale!

Christy and I talked for so long that I almost forgot to scope out the vegan baked goods.

Almost, but not quite.

dallas vegan

See my huge smile?

Since it was a good cause, and since I’m lousy at making decisions, I went crazy and bought lots of baked goods. Let’s see if I can remember them all… Rocky road cake ball, sweet potato empanada, mini doughnut, cinnamon-sugar doughnut, blueberry muffin, lemon coffeecake muffin, chocolate-pb cookie, banana bread, cinnamon roll, and ginger-spice cookie:

vegan desserts

My friend Amy invited a few girls over after work, so I brought the box along and we had fun tasting everything. Some of the treats were delicious; others were just ok. The ginger-spice cookie was absolutely awesome… and I don’t normally even like spice cookies!

I do have a recipe for Raw Gingerbread Men.

But I want to try making soft cookies like the one above (it’s hiding under the muffin and the empanada). If the baker of that cookie happens to be reading this post, please accept my thanks for money well spent.

vegan bake sale

Above, gorgeous cakes from Spiral Diner, and a cute little shopper!

Question of the Day:

Have you met any of your online friends in person?

If you want to laugh, be sure to check out this very old post.

It’s a post of my first-ever blogger meetup! :)

1. Those baked goodies look so good, especially the sweet potato empanadas 😀 That’s so cute that you got to meet up with your friend ^^

2. AikoVenus says:

The bake sale looks great – and you two look fantastic! ^^ I’ve made lots of online/blogger friends but I haven’t been able to meet them just yet, I know that it will be soon enough though!

1. Jessica says:

Me too! I feel like I have more online friends than friends in the real world, simply becasue all my real world friends have moved away after college but I can keep track of my online frieds. But I haven’t met any of my online friends in real life.

1. Jessica says:

Sorry, “friends” not “frieds” :)

2. AikoVenus says:

I agree Jessica. ^^ I just love being able to have such a variety of friends, heh.

3. How fun! I wish I could’ve gone! I also wish that had something like that here 😀

1. They probably did! It was part of the Worldwide Vegan Bake Sale! :)

4. Samantha D says:

That looks epically delicious! Can’t wait to see what you come up with next!
    Also, I don’t know if its just me, but your emails are a day late, like today I got the email about the cosmic chocolate peppermint patties and not this one? Is that on purpose?

1. It’s not just you! An unfortunately I have no idea what’s up :(.

My email system has a mind of its own. Sometimes it skips posts altogether! I wish I knew why, or how to fix it.

1. Sarah says:

Oh thank goodness! I thought I was the only one!

2. Jules says:

Do you have separate e-mails for posts and personal? I tried to e-mail asking advice on veganism/vegetarianism and I never got a reply :( I was hoping maybe I just e-mailed you to the wrong place? My e-mail was sent as me replying to one of the e-mails about a post. I know you’re super duper busy with e-mails and blogging so i completely understand…I was just wondering because you seem like such an amazing person and I would love to talk to you and ask your advice because you’re like my Vegan Idol!

1. Nope I don’t get email replies sent to feedburner. Email me at chocolatecoveredkatie at msn. :)

5. I’ve never met any other bloggers but hope to someday! I think I’d be nervous but everyone makes them look so fun and comfortable.

6. I have yet to meet any of my online frineds but there are a couple that I would just LOVE to meet since it feels like I know them already! …..What a yummy stash you got away with! Mmmmmm!

7. Samantha says:

Your bake sale had a really cute set up! I love that it was more outdoors market-style. Those cakes are like an art project!

How fun you got to meet another known vegan baker! I have yet to meet any of my online friends but I definitely would love to. I agree that I might be a little nervous or it might be intimidating but there are some great people in the world and I love that the online world brings in people I may have never crossed.

PS. I did laugh about the old post. Even in the Seattle area for the longest time I really didn’t know any other vegans.

8. Candice says:

This looks like so much fun! I would’ve been all over that cinnamon roll!

As a side note, your hair is just gorgeous. It always looks so full and vibrant. Maybe because of your healthy diet?
    Do you have any recommendations for a girl who seriously hates her dry hair???

1. Candice says:

Sorry, I meant recommendations as in products, or even what foods to eat for healthy hair? Any tips would be appreciated! :)

1. Lisa C says:

+1 about the hair, Katie.

Candice, have you seen this post?

1. Jamie says:

the coconut shampoo and conditioner she recommends in that post is my favorite thing in LIFE. (okay maybe not really, but it’s top 5.)

1. L. says:

It says “gluten free” on there. I never understood that until I opened it and used it. I want to eat that shampoo, it smells so good ;).

9. I haven’t had the opportunity to meet any online firnds, but I hope to one day! What a fun event!

10. I would KILL to go to a vegan bake sale. I want some of those cakes in the last picture so badly. That’s my only problem with vegan desserts…you most definitely would never find them anywhere unless it’s at Whole Foods or at a vegan-specific sale haha. Come to me, cake!!

11. Did you mention yet what cause the money was for?

And it looks like it was a lot of fun.

1. Lisa C says:

I remember she posted in a comment it was the United Farm Workers of America.

I think different vegan bake sales were allowed to pick different charities. For example, the one I attended gave the proceeds to the Humane Society.

12. Lisa C says:

It looks like you had such a great time. I’m only surprised there’s not more chocolate in that box of yours ;).

1. There were hardly any chocolate things by the time I got there! I think either people grabbed them all in the beginning, or bakers didn’t make chocolate things for fear of melting.

13. Jamie says:

i forgot that was saturday! i’m so sad now! everything looked delicious…

14. Farah says:

YOU ARE SO PRETTY!!!! And those baked goods just made my mouth water.

15. Aw, two of my favorite ladies! I love that you two got to meet. I’ve hung out with Christy a few times too. When’s our turn? (As in, you and me…hehe.)

1. Soon!! When are you going to be in Texas next??

16. PeaSoupa says:

Never met anyone from the blogging community – would love to though! Looks like a really fun day and those baked goods look incredible. I would’ve totally gorged myself.

17. Janae says:

I usually met online friends first online, then in person second. But recently, I’ve gone to a few blogger meet-ups where I’ll meet them in person & then online. It’s always fun to meet the “real” person behind the picture & tweets/blog posts.

(Of course most of my online friends I’ve never met, but wish to someday!)

18. Kit-Kat says:

YUM! That soft cookie looks so good. You should totally make a BIG soft double chocolate chunk cookie based off of the Erin Baker Breakfast cookies!!!

I love bake sales, but I’ve never been to a vegan one before.

19. Leslie says:

The littlest shopper is so cute :).

As are you two girls, and the food looks great! Wish I could’ve been there. I would have bought one of everything. No one ever makes me baked goods!

20. Sarahishealthy says:

Yay, I love when you post pictures of yourself! I swear I mean that in the least creepiest way possible!!! It’s just nice to see the blogger behind the recipes sometimes, and you are so beautiful that you do veganism and healthy living proud. So post more photos ;).

I completely forgot to hit up my own local vegan bake sale this year (or even to check out when it was). Next year for sure!

21. Katie says:

My family got there super early. I wish we could have seen you! Oh and my little brother was the one who made the cinnamon rolls =p

22. Omigosh all of those treats look so delicious!! What a fun event and how cool that you got to meet someone that you admire! I’ve only met a few blog-online friends (though I’d love to meet more!!) and it’s been such a fun, crazy experience. Essentially you are strangers but really you know so much about each others lives! It’s awesome!

23. Wow all of the treats look amazing! That looks like it was a great event. I haven’t met a blogger friend in person, yet.

24. Sara Dane says:

My sister was super stoked to meet her fav blogger, Joy the Baker. I didn’t read blogs at the time so I though she was crazy…but now I get it. Yall are celebrities!

1. anonymous says:

Lucky sister! Yes, I would be totally starstruck if I got to meet CCK or Joy the Baker!

25. All those baked goods sound incredible! I love ginger snaps so I am sure I would have loved that spice cookie! The cakes are gorgeous too! Love the summery colors!

26. How awesome! Those baked goods are making me drool over here…

This past weekend, I got to meet up with Kristen (from in Nashville. We hit it off and are already planning another Nashville getaway this summer!

1. Jessica says:

Haha you two were posting at the same time, it looks like!

27. I’ve met 2 blogger friends in person. One I just met on Sunday in Nashville! It was such a nice visit! :)

28. Lauren says:

Love your outfit! Those treats look so yummy.

29. Jessica says:

You look beautiful, and I’m envious of that box of vegan treats! Makes me sad that I didn’t look up to see if there was a vegan bake sale here, although there probably wasn’t since I live in a small town!

30. Looks like it was a really fun event!

I love the photo with the little girl at the table with all the delectable treats! So cute.

31. Miss b says:

How cool.
    I am going to do a vegan bake sale this weekend.
    So I came to find some gréât recipes I know I Will.
    Any suggestions or ideas???

32. Moni Meals says:

So cool! I loved the pics. Way to give back too. :)

33. AHHHH….I’m moving to TX in 18 days!!!! I can’t believe it~ I’M SOOO EXCITED! Even though I’m not moving to Dallas (Austin…WOOOO!!!!), seeing your pics made me get up and do a lil’ dance! haha^^

AND.. for the first time in my life, I’m going to NYC (leaving next Monday)!! I’ve definitely been referencing your blog for ideas on what to do/where to eat!!!

AND…random question… do you like kombucha? I’m just curious. I love it, and as soon as I’m settled in my new place, I plan to brew up a kombucha storm!!!

1. I do like it… but it’s so expensive! And every now and then I’d get a bottle that was flat :(. So I haven’t actually bought any in quite a long time!

34. Katherine says:

Oh my! That bake sale looks absolutely scrumptious! I am so jealous of the vegan cakes that rose! I cannot figure out how to make mine do the same. Trying to have a vegan bake sale soon!

35. Amy says:

That looks sooo good! I wish I could have made it :( but school is currently trying extremely hard to kill me lol! I will have to come to the next one!

Glad you had such a good time. I have to agree with Lisa though, I would have expected much more chocolate in that box of yours! 😛

36. michelle says:

Katie those look great. I met and still friends that I met online when we were all pregnant 15 years ago..and all our babies were due in june….. im in California and if I go to NY there’s a mom there I can hang out with. Same with Texas…. I love it…..

Hmm also I met my husband online 11 years ago…does that count?

37. Jules says:

Hi Katie! I have an idea for something that could be totally awesome and connect you with all your fans! You could have your own YouTube channel and post videos of you making your INCREDIBLE AND DELICIOUS CREATIONS! People could watch you vegan bake/create while seeing your awesome personality in real life instead of only being able to read it!

1. I need to figure out you tube first! I would love to do that… or an iphone app… there are too many things I want to do and not enough time to learn how to do it all :(

38. Sarah says:

Vegan bake sales are the place to meet celebrity crushes. Last year I met Isa Chandra Moskokwitz in Portland, Oregon.

39. That would be so cool to meet up with a friend blogger. You probably have so much in common since both of you like to cook.

40. Sarah says:

I’m so jealous, why am I stuck here on the other side of the world? It looks so yummy and fun!
    I have a question though, do you have any tips for runners starting out? I’m getting a bit more serious about it, but I’m still feeling pretty noobish.

1. Sarah says:

Thanks! Yeah, it was helpful :)

41. Looks like a wonderful Saturday!! I’ve just entered the blogging world myself after following several healthy living blogs for months – I hope I have the opportunity to meet some fellow bloggers and online friends in the future!

42. Wow that’s a good taste from the bake sale! Yum!

I’ve met a couple online friends in person over the past year and it’s so nice when people you’ve had “e-lationships” with are just a wonderful in person!

43. Karynjewels says:

I got to meet Elizabeth Aubrey of The Whole Pretty at the Alt Design Conference this year and she rocked in person as much as her hilarious blog does on my computer. Here is her blog:

BTW? Totally off topic but your hair looks great!

44. LizAshlee says:

How fun! I haven’t met anyone in person yet but I think it would be great!!

45. Looks so fun! I haven’t met up with anyone but I love the idea!!

46. Albizia says:

Oh, the baked goods! They look scrumptious! And for the good cause I would gladly stuff myself with them :)

People we meet online can turn into friends forever. Most of my closest friends were at one point just some sort of pen friends.

47. I’ve connected with over 100 people in recovery from eating disorders in the process of writing my book. I’m hoping to meet several of them once it’s finally published (soon)!

48. Liz says:

Are you going to post any of the recipes from the bake sale? (or email them to me :) ) Those cakes, for example don’t look healthy, but they look amazing! We did a successful bake sale here in Sarasota, FL, but i would love to see more of what you all did. Pricing, recipes, location, education/outreach, etc. Yay for National Vegan Bake sale week!

1. Sorry, I wasn’t in charge of the bake sale. I only made the blondies. But I do know that the cakes were donated by a restaurant called Spiral Diner :).

49. Great post! Many delicious looking items for sale there! I have met a local blogger – our paths crossed after we were already blogging – and I just bought a ticket to fly to the Midwest this summer to spend a few days with another blogger. My blogging friends are much like family – I think we really do get to know each other via the internet, and it’s awesome! when you get to meet someone special face to face. Thanks for sharing this post and all the awesome dishes you make.

50. That’s so cool that you got to meet Chirsty, I haven’t meet any blogger friends yet. That box of goodies sounds delicious right now.

51. Mallory says:

That bake sale makes me really happy… especially the sign that says “Dallas Vegan” especially because I am moving to Dallas in a month!!! :)

52. Natasha says:

I have met SEVERAL online friends, actually. 3 of them I’ve known for over 10 years…and 1 of those I will more than likely be moving in w/ in a few months. I run a general discussion forum and I’ve met, hmmm, at least 5 of our members in person (and, again, I roomed w/ 1 of those members for a while).

53. Erin says:

I’ve never made friends online that I met in person, but I did get to meet some bloggers/bands I like that I found out about online! Have you ever heard of wizard rock? It’s basically indie music written about Harry Potter. It sounds silly, but a lot of the stuff is actually really good :) I haven’t listened to it in quite awhile though. My first wizard rock concert was back in middle school, and I’m graduating from high school next month!

And these vegan treats look AMAZING. I wish we had a meet-up like this in my area!

1. I haven’t. I’ll have to google it!

54. Ashley says:

Haven’t met any of my blogger friends yet, but I’ve got a couple I’m hoping to meet someday =)

55. I have met a few at Blog events and they are always as amazing as I imagined them to be! I still want to do a blogger meet up here in Dallas to meet all our local blogging friends!

56. Josh SM says:

Two of my favorite food bloggers in the same photo!

Christy’s Raw Chocolate Mousse recipe changed my life and got me passionate about making raw desserts… I made a delicious Raw Pumpkin Cheesecake w/ Cacao Fudge Frosting the other night… rambling, rambling…

You’re amazing, btw. I LOVE your blog.

1. Aw thank you, Josh! I will have to look up Christy’s raw chocolate mousse recipe!!