Healthy Ketchup!

Here are THREE good reasons you should try homemade healthy ketchup:

healthy ketchup

1. No high-fructose corn syrup, and you get to control how much–if any–sugar goes in.
  2. Homemade really does taste so much better than bottled ketchup.
  3. With just 4 basic ingredients, this healthy ketchup couldn’t be easier to make!

Once you try homemade ketchup, you’ll never want to buy store-bought ketchup again.

ketchup

Healthy Ketchup

Loosely inspired by a recipe in Better Homes and Gardens

• 3 cups cherry or grape tomatoes (450g)
  • 1/4 cup sliced onion (35g)
  • scant 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar (or white vinegar) (12g)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • sweetener of choice, to taste (or omit for unsweetened ketchup)
  • 1/8 tsp powdered ginger (omit if desired)
  • optional pinch garlic powder or minced garlic

Healthy Ketchup Recipe: Preheat oven to 400 F. Roast first two ingredients 40-45 minutes, or until the tomatoes are shriveled and most of their liquid is absorbed. Then blend with all other ingredients. Let cool before putting in the fridge, and for thickest results leave uncovered a few hours even after putting in the fridge. (Recipe yields 345g, or about 1.5 cups.)

View Healthy Ketchup Nutrition Facts

homemade ketchup

Ketchup: love it or hate it?

When I was little, my mom joked that we should’ve bought stock in Heinz for how much ketchup I ate. Looking back, I think the issue was that I really never liked the taste of meat. So I’d put a ton of ketchup on my burgers and then they wouldn’t taste like meat… they’d taste like ketchup! Smile

LINK OF THE DAY:

healthy-fries_thumb

High-Protein French Fries

Tags: , , , ,

1. Samantha D. says:

I’m actually really excited you posted this…i LOVE ketchup.. it grosses the boyfriend out that i put it on literately everything..even my salads haha

1. My husband is just like you – LOVES ketchup. Like, piles and piles of it! I can’t wait to make this recipe for him :)

2. Kay L. says:

I will admit, the sound of ketchup on salad sounds odd, but lettuce with ketchup tastes divine. I have also been known to dip potato chips and tortilla chips in ketchup…

2. Anonymous says:

I see you say it “can be sugar free!” but I don’t see sugar in the ingredients….Am I blind? What you’ve posted IS sugar free :)

1. Somehow, I’d left it out of the recipe ingredients! So weird, because I know I wrote it. Must have lost it somehow when I was moving things around while writing the post… Thanks for letting me know. It’s fixed now :).

3. Honeybird says:

Great! I never made my own ketchup before, though I intend to do it 😛
    Ketjap (sweet soy-sauce) and ketchup are my favourite sauces!
    The knife in the first picture, looks exactly like the ones we have (I live in the Netherlands), lol :).

4. Kendra says:

Wow, that looks like a delicious ketchup recipe! Though I rarely use ketchup, I may try out this recipe, just to experiment:) It’s not as though I HATE ketchup; I just prefer using other condiments:) We normally buy the Hunts ketchup made without high-fructose corn syrup, but I am sure that homemade ketchup would be less expensive…

5. This is pretty much how I make mine too :)

6. Rachelle says:

I’m so excited! I have been talking about making homemade ketchup a lot lately, but didn’t have a recipe. Now I can!

7. Jill says:

Thanks for this. I have a homemade ketchup recipe but it came out ver watery, more like salsa. I think roasting like you said may be the trick.

8. T says:

I will be trying this for sure! I love ketchups of all types (I recently tried blueberry!)

9. I am a serious ketchup-addict,but I’ve never tried making my own… I should change that,maybe.

10. Rebecca P. says:

How long do you think this will stay fresh in the fridge?

1. Mine is still in the fridge, so I really don’t know how long it lasts yet. At least two days!

1. sarah says:

Vinegar is a natural preservative, a better one than salt, actually. I imagine it would keep pretty long. Mine is still delicious after 5 days.

11. Sherry says:

I love ketchup too and in the past have made my own but now can’t have tomatoes due to sensitivities and tomatoes being part of the nightshade family doesn’t help my inflammation :-(

So… I make Apricot ketchup! It tastes a little exotic and if you add in allspice and a touch of cinnamon (to this recipe) it really does taste like ketchup. Oh, and of course no HFCS!!

1. Honeybird says:

Sounds good!!

2. Tai says:

Wow yum! I’m imagining it’s a cross between apricot jam and apricot sauce? both are amazing. Can you tell us the recipe?

12. Jade C says:

Looks like a great recipe and I have been looking for a better tomato ketchup recipe lately, you read my mind 😉 .
    Just wondering, if you know, how long this would keep for?? Want to know how much to multiply the recipe 😉 ..

1. Mine is still in the fridge, so I really don’t know how long it lasts yet. At least two days.

13. I LOVE ketchup and I love this! Thanks so much for posting!

14. As store bought ketchup contains a lot of sugar… Wouldn’t adding Stevia make this taste more “real”?

1. Sorry, I’d accidentally lost that part out of the recipe when I was moving things around in the post. Fixed now!

15. Kate says:

This is awesome! Thanks so much for posting I cannot wait to try it!!! I used to put ketchup on everything when I was younger too…heck I still do somedays lol

16. Rebecca says:

@Tanya: Tomatoes (especially when roasted) are actually pretty sweet already. You’d be surprised.

@ChocolateCoveredKatie: I am glad I am not the only nut who makes her own ketchup! Roma tomatoes work pretty well also (especially for stewed tomatoes—yum!). I mostly take the lazy way out and use tomato paste (super-concentrated, just sweet enough tomato-y taste) and sometimes doctor it up with a bit of vinegar, a few spices or occasionally a SLIGHT pinch of stevia (although usually doesn’t need it)

17. Jacki says:

I’m going to have to try this with all the tomatoes in the garden right now. Is it okay if you don’t use grape tomatoes, I’m not sure what tomatoes my mom planted in the garden? Thanks for the great sugar free ketchup recipe, now I can eat ketchup again!

1. I don’t see why other tomatoes wouldn’t work, but I’ve only tried the grape/cherry ones.

18. terra says:

I used to do the same thing! I hated meat as a kid and smeared my chicken and everything in tons of ketchup. I still love ketchup, but I haven’t had to eat meat for 15 years.
    Can’t wait to make this ketchup! Thanks for sharing.

19. Suzie says:

Well surprisingly I am not a big fan of ketchup, but do LOVE bbq sauce, so I will definitely make it as a base, thanks!

20. I recently made homemade ketchup and to get the sweet heinz taste try using plums for part of the recipe (i can’t remeber from memory what ration of tomatoes to plums probably 4:1 ish) it really does make the difference in terms of sweetness!