Breakfast Cookie Dough

Breakfast-Cookie-Dough_thumb

Cookie dough for breakfast.

Finally, a reason to love Mondays.

Breakfast Cookie Dough!

When I was little, I saw commercials for a cereal called “Cookie Crisps” that claimed to taste just like cookies for breakfast. Obviously my 7-year-old self begged and begged until my mom finally relented and bought it, cautioning me the entire time it wouldn’t really taste like cookies.

She was right, of course. Cookie Crisps tasted not like cookies, but like a different c word: cardboard. (Sadly, I didn’t learn my lesson. The next year I made her buy Count Chocula, another cardboard-esque breakfast cereal.)

With today’s recipe, you can finally have a cereal that really does taste like chocolate-chip cookies and milk all blended together.

Breakfast Cookie Dough

Breakfast Cookie Dough

(serves 1)

• 1 cup flake cereal (bran flakes, cornflakes, spelt flakes, etc.) (35g)
  • 1/3 cup Mori-Nu tofu, or yogurt of choice (80g)
  • 3/4 cup milk of choice (180g)
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • sweetener of choice (such as stevia, sugar, or even maple syrup)
  • handful of chocolate chips
  • optional:1 tbsp peanut butter, or 2 tsp coconut or veg oil (or sub another nut butter for the peanut)

Blend together all ingredients, except chips. (I use a Magic Bullet.) Stir in chips. The cereal will have a thin consistency at first, but if you leave it in the fridge (after blending) for even just 10 minutes, it starts to get really thick. Good cold or hot.

View Nutrition Facts

Breakfast Cookie Dough

Growing up, did you have a favorite breakfast cereal?

I took turns with Frosted Flakes, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Kix, and Life. But my all-time favorite was Apple Cinnamon Cheerios. When I was going through a growth spurt in 7th grade, I’d routinely come home from school and polish off an entire box!

By the way, one of the Cookie Crisp slogans is, “You can’t have cookies for breakfast, but you can have Cookie Crisp.” Ummm wait a second… who says you can’t have cookies for breakfast?!

breakfast cookies
……….Oatmeal Raisin Breakfast Cookies

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

1. Growing up (and to this day) I had an extreme weakness for cocoa puffs! Mostly because of the chocolate milk at the end 🙂 I can’t wait to try this sometime – I’ll probably make it for a after dinner dessert soon!

1. Haha… I liked the chocolate milk better then the cocoa puffs, too!

2. My dad used to make oatmeal everyday before he went to work and he came up with his own cookie dough oatmeal recipe. It was delicious, albeit not very healthy. I’ll definitely be trying your version, because I miss cookie dough oatmeal a ton.

My favorite breakfast cereal has always been cinnamon rice Chex. Also cinnamon toast crunch. Basically, any breakfast cereal with cinnamon was my favorite. (Not that I don’t like chocolate, but breakfast companies just can’t seem to get the chocolate flavor right.)

1. Agreed! I was always disappointed by cereals like Cocoa Puffs because they taste more like cocoa-flavored cardboard… they’re missing that rich chocolate flavor.

2. Shannon says:

Special K has a cereal with chocolate chunks that are basically just pure chocolate (along with Special K flakes). Completely unhealthy but GOSH it’s delicious. When I get it I eat it for dessert rather than breakfast.

1. That sounds delicious, but, unfortunately, I’m gluten-free. 🙁

1. Annie says:

You can make your own by adding chocolate chunks to gf flake cereal

1. Great idea! Thanks! 🙂

3. Amanda M. says:

I liked Cap’n Crunch when I was younger… Oh, and Trix. but we always had a plethora of sugary breakfast cereals. Funny, because now my preferred cereal is Kashi flakes or puffs. Although, I am pregnant right now, and had a random hankerin’ for some Cocoa Pebbles… ha ha!

4. Yum! This looks so good. And it is perfect because I can’t eat your chickpea dip because beans bother my stomach… But this is awesome! 🙂

Oh my gosh I went through so many different cereal phases. I like Lucky Charms, Frosted Flakes, Cookie Crisp, Honey Nut Cheerios, Fruit Loops, Captain Crunch, Honey Bunches of Oats, Corn Pops, Trix, Rice Krispies with tons of sugar… I loved them all! Well, except fruity pebbles and Reeses Puffs. I just couldn’t get into those, or any Count Dracula chocolate cereal. I don’t really like chocolate for breakfast 😛 *Gasp* I can’t believe I just said that! Haha.

5. Carrie says:

Thank goodness I gave breakfast a miss this morning, because when this just showed up in my blog reader, I jumped up to make it! Yum. I have made a bunch of your other breakfast concoctions and I believe this may be my favorite! I just recently allowed my kids to get fruit loops for the first time as a treat and although I never had them as a kid, I was surprised how much I liked them now. Luckily I measure out portions for the kids so I do the same for myself or I’d eat the whole box after they go to bed!

1. Wow, you are fast. I’m pretty sure you’re the first person to try it! 🙂

6. LJ Briar says:

My all-time favourite was (and still is) Cinnamon Toast Crunch, but because it was basically all sugar, my mother only bought it a few times a year as a special treat, not to actually be eaten for breakfast. Nowadays I crave it, but it’s expensive, so I just keep my eye out for the occasional sale and try to make it last when I do have it.

7. OMG Cookie Crisp was my favorite breakfast in high school. I’d have a huge bowl with ice cold milk, then of course drink the chocolatey leftover milk. And bring a baggie of cookie crisp with me for my after swim practice snack. Totally not healthy at all post workout nutrition but I didn’t know any better back then and the stuff was darn good. Honey Nut Cheerios was another staple back in the day. Today, if I were to have a bowl of cereal, I’d probably go with something like honey nut cheerioes, then I’d throw in granola with all sorts of nuts and dried fruits, and maybe some white chocolate and chocolate chips. The the more stuff the better! Those cereal bowl bars are a no-go for me – I might go way over board!

8. casey says:

Blend cold cereal?! Honestly doesn’t sound appealing. Especially the “wait till it thickens” part. It sounds like soggy cereal! I have not tried making it, so maybe something magic happens when you blend? So sorry, not trying to put down a recipe ESPECIALLY one I haven’t tried, but I just don’t understand. Perhaps if you use really high quality thick flakes? I’m picturing plain old Kellogg’s cornflakes blended with milk left to sit on the table for a few minutes. I can’t stand soggy cereal! Perhaps the tofu helps? The picture LOOKS delicious, BUT think I will stick with my CCK inspired oatmeal. 🙂

1. I think she means hot cereal flakes, not the kind of cornflakes Kellogg’s makes that you just pour milk on then eat. But I agree, blending up corn flakes with milk does sound gross. I can’t stand soggy cereal either.

1. Nope, I actually do mean cold cereal ;).
        The idea was inspired by this recipe: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/09/29/pumpkin-bread-in-a-bowl/

Sounds weird, but it’s really good! (As a side note: apparently there’s an award-winning restaurant, called Momofuku, in NYC that makes “cereal milk” ice cream by soaking cornflakes in milk and turning it into ice cream!)

1. The ice cream sounds pretty good actually. I might have to try that. 😉

1. Looking further into it, they actually make just the milk part (not ice cream) and sell it in their store: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/10/momofuku-milk-bars-cereal-milk-recipe.html

I first heard about the ice cream idea from readers who were asking for a healthy version… it’s been on my to-do list for awhile. Then again, I am one of those strange people who actually like soggy cereal :).

2. That is definitely one of the more interesting foods (or drinks?) I’ve heard about. But I think I’ll have to try it some day, just because I’m so curious!

3. laura says:

I’ve made the pumpkin bread in a bowl and also subbed a banana for pumpkin, because you blend it, it makes a yummy porridge consistency, doesn’t taste anything like soggy cereal I promise!

2. CJ says:

I just tried the recipe today, and I was a bit skeptical because I, too, HATE soggy cereal. I also usually detect the tofu taste in CCK’s recipes that blend in Moti-Nu. I figured that it didn’t hurt to try, though, since I had all the ingredients on hand. I loved it! It really does take on a whole new quality–doesn’t resemble soggy cereal at all, and the flavor is great (not sure I’d classify it as cookie dough tasting, but it sure is yummy). Seriously, try it before you call it gross. It really reminded me more of a cold porridge or oatmeal.

9. Laura M says:

Thankfully, I was never allowed to eat sugary cereal, so my favorites included Oatmeal Squares and Cheerios. Now I usually find ways to sneak chocolate into my oatmeal or cereal with Barleans (thanks to Katie’s give away, I’m hooked), protein powder or chocolate chips 🙂

10. Couldn’t agree more on the cookie crisp! Who would eat that? This, on the other hand, looks like the yummiest, healthiest way to try cookie dough I could dream of. So creative! I never would have thought to put these ingredients together. Thanks Katie!

11. Courtney says:

omggggg how I wish I wasn’t in China to be near my vitamix and a Publix to make this! haha oh well~~ getting 8 chocolate bars shipped to me hehe

12. Sunnie says:

I used to LOVE a cereal by Kashi called “Chocolate Pillow,” but they discontinued it YEARS ago . . . I was about 7 or so when they stopped making it. It was puffy chocolate cereal with chocolate taffy-like stuff inside; hard to describe, but amazing. Katie, you would have loved it – it was super-rich chocolate! Also, I lived Cinna-men (I believe it was made my New Morning) and Coco-motion (again, I think New Morning made that), but they discontinued them! We bought them at health foood stores . . . they were amazing.

1. Katie says:

Have you tried Krave by Kellogg? Sounds really similar and is one of my favorite. It’s pretty much a complete chocolate sugar bomb – but so delicious!

13. Alan says:

Do you or anyone else who has tried the other recipes like this think the Original Large plain Shredded Wheat Biscuits would work? Would you say use one or two? Thanks for any thoughts

1. I haven’t tried it so I really don’t know 😕

2. Andrea says:

I am sure you could do that! I did something similar with Katie’s pumpkin version. Just break up the wheat biscuits into a 1 cup measuring cup. Delicious!

14. michele says:

When Cookie Crisp was introduced in the 70’s, it actually did taste like cookies.

1. Anonymous says:

You are right! It really did. A neighbor used to always have it and we ate it right out of the box. I got some a few years ago and it was bad.

1. Annie says:

I remember it being that way in the ’90s too (although probably not as much). I think it was only in the last 10 or so years that the quality really went down

15. My favorites were Lucky Charms and Cinnamon Toast Crunch, but we weren’t allowed sugary cereals very often. We usually just had Cheerios!

16. Alex says:

Yummmmm! Quick question, though. Okay, I cannot eat any “flakey” cereal due to food allergies. So, could I use Rice Chex instead? Would it still turn out as delicious looking and tasting? Thanks!

1. Sorry, I really don’t know.

1. Annie says:

I made this recipe out of granola and came out really sticky (but that could be from the dried fruit in it) w/ a slightly crusty shell that formed on the surface after fridge-ing. It was ok, but texture was off-putting and only tasted good bc I blended in cinnamon.

The first time I made this recipe was actuallly the day b4 the granola version, out of high-fiber twigs-and-flakes cereal, and vanilla yoghurt. The only difference was that I let it soak first and then blended, and it came out too thin. Could reversed order actually have that much impact on this recipe?

2. Hannah says:

I know this is a little late, but I just used corn chex because I have a gluten allergy and it came out perfect! Thickened and everything ☺️

17. Mary says:

I just made this breakfast cookie dough and really liked it!
    i ate a couple spoons of it and then thought i would stick it in the microwave for about 1 min 30 sec so the chocolate chips could melt, and it came out even more divine!

1. I love your idea to microwave it after adding the chips. Changing my post right now! 🙂

18. I loved corn pops, honey combs, waffle crisp…

19. Rena says:

I’m totally trying this for breakfast tomorrow!!!!