Healthy Apple Crumble Recipe

Healthy Apple Crumble!

Secretly healthy apple crumble, with a rich and buttery crumble that literally melts in your mouth.

A little-known fact about me:

I love apple crumble so much that I sometimes choose it over chocolate.

I’ve been known to choose it over dinner, too. It all started during my freshman year of high school, one night before the prom, when my group of friends ate at a place called at Tony Roma’s. Naturally, all of the boys ordered steaks or ribs. And naturally, all of the girls ordered salads. Apparently that’s the stereotypical ladylike thing to do when you go out on a date.

Whatever.

single serving apple crisp

single serving apple crisp

Uninterested in the prospect of lettuce as dinner, I scoured the menu for something more substantial. For vegetarians, the offerings were pretty slim.

However, I noticed they had apple crumble on the dessert menu. Topped with ice cream, of course. So that became my dinner—and it was awesome. From then on, every time we went out to a not-so-vegetarian-friendly place like Tony Roma’s or Hard Rock or TGI Friday’s, I didn’t worry what to get for lunch or dinner… I just ordered apple crumble!

single-serving apple crumble!

This healthy apple crumble reminds me of the one from Tony Roma’s–sweet cinnamon apples mixed with buttery crumbles…  it is perfect for any time of the year (but especially Fall).  It also makes a generous serving, not some little half-cup thing.

Try topping it with this recipe: Homemade Vanilla Bean Ice Cream.

And eat it for dinner!

Healthy Apple Crumble

Print This Recipe 5/5
5/51

Ingredients

• 1 medium-sized apple, diced small
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp milk of choice
  • 1/2 tsp apple pie spice (you can probably sub cinnamon)
  • 1 stevia packet or 1-2 tbsp sugar or sucanat
  • optional add-ins: walnuts, raisins, etc.
  • 3 tbsp quick oats (15g) (For substitution notes, see nutrition link below.)
  • 2 tsp oat flour (or another flour of choice) (4g)
  • 1 tbsp oil or butter-type spread (such as Smart Balance Light or Earth Balance) (15g) (For a fat-free substitution, see "nutrition facts" link below.)

Instructions

Healthy Apple Crumble Recipe: Preheat oven to 350 F and grease an oven-safe 2-cup dish. In a small mixing bowl, combine first five ingredients (and optional add-ins, if desired). Stir well. In a separate mixing bowl, combine remaining three ingredients and stir well. Now mix everything together and pour into the greased dish. (If you like a more-crumbly crumble, increase the amounts of the last three ingredients.) Bake 40 minutes (in the middle of the oven, not the very top), then turn the oven to high-broil for 2-3 minutes. Turn off heat, but let sit in oven 15 more minutes.

*View Healthy Apple Crumble Nutrition Facts*

single-serving apple crumble!

For more single-serving ideas, click on the following link: Over 100 healthy dessert recipes that make enough to serve just one person.

Tags: , , , , ,

1. Bring on the dessert for dinner! Just load on the veggies at lunch and you’re good to go! 😉

1. Brenda says:

I’d like more microwave recipes. Can’t wait to try chocolate cake.will be checking. It out really soon.

2. Liz says:

I think that as long as you eat healthy most of the time, you are good to go to eat dessert for dinner every now and then!

I’ve definitely had your cookie dough dip for dinner before ;).

1. Liz says:

Also, those photos are GORGEOUS!

I must go see about this vanilla bean ice cream. It looks really really good.

3. Ashley says:

Dessert for dinner is most definitely acceptable!! especially if it’s your healthier desserts x) I am guilty of this on more than one occasion. As long as i have my veggies in,(as I crave them if I don’t get enough in a day) I don’t see why not! x)

4. Kelly says:

On birthdays, it’s a tradition that I always eat chocolate birthday cake for dinner. No veggies, but who cares? It’s my birthday!

1. anonymous says:

you should try this one:

its chocolate cake with veggies, so its ok for dinner :).

5. I cannot wait to try this! I’ve never had any sort of ‘crumble’ dessert and I eat an apple a day with lunch so I’m pretty fanatical about the delicious fruit 🙂

6. I’ve never had dessert for dinner. For breakfast, yes! I’m always in the mood for sweets at breakfast time and it’s so easy to disguise what’s really dessert as an acceptable breakfast. 🙂

7. Haha I’ve only eaten dessert for dinner in my own apartment (joys of living alone), but I LOVE apple crumble and apple pie, definitely my favorite dessert!

8. Lauren says:

Dessert for dinner….hmmm, I’d say not for me. If it’s in the form of a smoothie, and I can throw some chard or a green veggie in, then I feel better! This is great! I just made an apple crisp the other night and have been craving it again. I like to do a combo of apples and blueberries, but the oat topping is what I really love. 🙂

9. lil deli says:

Dessert for dinner is the best idea

10. I think that dessert for dinner totally depends on two things: Whether or not it is healthy, and whether or not it is a frequent thing or just a special occasion. If it’s healthy, why not? Eat it for every meal! 🙂 If it’s not, just enjoy it once in a while.

I love the idea of a single-serving version. I think I’ll try topping this with banana ice cream. Have you ever mixed banana and apple together? I wonder how it will taste.

11. when I was a poor university student, me and my housemates used to cook up a main meal at home first (to save £) and then go out to eat dessert only at a restaurant! We took our time and made an evening of it with a little bit of alcohol alongside…those were the days! 🙂

12. Shelby says:

I think I’m going to have to make that for lunch!

13. Ed says:

Apple anything is by far my favorite dessert, my grandma use to make these same type recipes, all personal size for the grandchildren…brings me back to those day lol

14. Yum! I don’t usually feel so well if I eat dessert for dinner (whether it’s in my head or not), but this looks delicious for after the main course!

15. Lea says:

I love that you ordered desserts as dinner! It’s true though, when you’re a vegetarian your better off finding something on the dessert menu that the dinner menu!
    Your apple crumble looks delicious! I made something like this a couple weeks ago but I will definitely have to give your version a try!

16. Thanks for the single serving recipe! I’m always looking for these because it’s dangerous to have too much of a good thing lying around the house. 🙂

17. I love the dessert for one! Anytime is a good time for dessert! This looks great! I made a pear crumble the other night and hope to put it on my blog tomorrow!

18. Hannah says:

Hi Katie, I was wondering if you (or anyone else reading this) can help me – I want to make vegan ice cream for a family thing (as my cousin is vegan) and would like it to resemble regular (full fat) ice cream as much as possible, but without having to use coconut cream as the base (I’m making rum & raisin ice cream so don’t want the coconut flavour). I realise that the point of your recipes is that they’re low calorie (and usually very low fat), but I was wondering if you might have some ideas that you haven’t posted on the blog (like a non-diet ice cream you make for yourself)? I would be so grateful for any tips! (Please don’t get me wrong, it’s not that I don’t want to try the ice cream recipes you already have up, I’m sure they’re a great substitute if you’re watching your calorie intake, but I’ve tried making ice cream with milk in the past and find it too thin, and lacking that creamy ice cream texture.) Anyway, thanks in advance!

1. Have you tried creamer? I recommend Silk creamer. I think all my recipes–the ones that call for an ice cream maker–have a creamer option. And it’d work in the vita recipes as well. The only thing is that it’s best to serve homemade ice creams when you make them (or within a few hours). Otherwise, you’ll have to thaw a little, as homemade ice creams lack the stabilizers present in commercial ice creams.

I am actually working on a cashew-based ice cream recipe, as well as a pistachio one for the cookbook. But neither is completely perfected yet.

19. Greg says:

Where can you find apple pie spice? Thanks

1. Grocery store spice section, with all the other spices and extracts. Most normal grocery stores (in the US, at least) will sell it.