Avocado Frozen Yogurt

Avocado Frozen Yogurt.

Avocado Frozen Yogurt: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/05/20/avocado-frozen-yogurt/

The fourth week of May is known as National Frozen Yogurt Week, so I thought I’d play along this time: every single recipe on my blog this week will center around the frozen-yogurt theme, starting with today’s slightly-unconventional recipe for Avocado Frozen Yogurt.

The avocado makes this frozen dessert extra creamy and super healthy. Yes, it sounds strange, but this avocado dessert might just convert even the biggest avocado hater. And hey, at least it’s not Spinach Ice Cream!

healthy avocado frozen yogurt

Avocado Frozen Yogurt

Adapted from Homemade Frozen Yogurt

• 1 large, ripe avocado (it should be soft)
  • 2 cups plain yogurt of choice (such as Wholesoy) (440g)
  • 1/2 cup milk of choice (120g)
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract (2g)
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • pinch pure stevia extract, or 3-4 tbsp sugar of choice (Amount will depend on the sweetness of your yogurt, and you may need more if you’re using an unsweetened yogurt. You want the non-frozen mixture to taste a little too sweet for your liking, as it is less sweet once frozen.)

Avocado frozen yogurt recipe: Scrape out the flesh of the avocado and discard the peel and pit. Blend all ingredients until completely smooth, in a blender, food processor, or Vita-Mix. If you have an ice cream maker, transfer mixture to the machine and churn according to manufacturer’s directions. My Cuisinart took just 10 minutes. Eat immediately as soft-serve, or freeze in an airtight container for a half hour if you want a firmer texture. (If you don’t have an ice cream machine, you can simply transfer the blended mixture to an airtight container, freeze, and stir every  half hour for 2-3 hours. The texture won’t be quite as creamy, but it still works.)

Click for: Avocado Frozen Yogurt Nutrition Facts

Avocado Ice Cream

Question of the Day:

What flavor gets your vote for Frozen Yogurt Week?

Feel free to leave as many flavor suggestions as you can dream up. There are four large containers of yogurt in my refrigerator, just waiting to be turned into frozen yogurt. Link of the Day:

cookie dough popsicles
………Cookie Dough Popsicles

Can you tell the weather is getting warmer?

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. Sarah says:

Interesting recipe! Does it taste overwhelmingly like avocado though? What about adding different flavoring to this?

1. Beth says:

This was my fear as well Danielle.. I found the vanilla covered up the avocado flavor pretty well.. and I don’t like avocado at all :) so that was definitely a plus 😉

1. Beth says:

Whhooopps! I meant Sarah, haha sorry!! :)

2. Sarah says:

Oh, that’s good. I just didn’t think that avocado frozen ice cream sounded very appetizing.

2. Danielle says:

This sounds great! I’ve used avocado before in baking cupcakes & even my meat loving, avocado hating family devoured the cupcakes. Thanks, Katie!
    – Danielle

1. Carroll says:

What recipe did you use? can you give it to me, I’ve been wanting and looking for a recipe to make avocado cupcakes!

3. Lulu says:

Black sesame seed, chocolate and coffee combo! sugar free!

4. Lauren says:

Oatmeal cookie froyo! They had it at my local frozen yogurt place last summer and it was so delicious! Also, peanut butter Oreo, iced cupcake, and sugar cookie froyos! :)

5. This sounds super good, Katie! I actually have some avocado in the freezer, to keep it from going bad! Looks like I should turn it into dessert :)

6. I have to admit, I was a little disgusted by the title of this post. But I put avocado in smoothies, so this can’t be too different.
    I would love it if you made a recipe for chocolate cheescake, butter pecan, brownie batter, pistacho, or birthday cake frozen yogurt.

1. I forgot that you already had a brownie batter recipe! Oops!

7. Nikki @ The Road to Less Cake says:

So green! I need to get an ice cream maker because I want to make this right now!

8. Lisa says:

This looks delightful! I always love bright green juices or smoothies. Makes me feel healthier;)

9. I love the sound of avocado in desserts! Sounds amazing. You should use some of your healthy nutella you made a while ago and make a nutella froyo– yummmm

10. I bet I would love this. I cannot get enough of avocados lately.

11. I love avocado frozen yogurt! It gives such a creamy flavour with so many good fats. Yours is such a beautiful colour!

12. Genius!! That sounds so good!

13. Amy McCann says:

I don’t know how to tell you this . . .YOU ARE MY BEST FRIEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I made your pie with avocado and fed it to my avocado hating family, they loved it! I know this will be AMAZING!

14. Vera says:

Apple pie frozen yogurt!

15. this looks so good.. i need to get an ice-cream maker.

16. Shauna says:

Any possibility of fro-yo that doesn’t involve a premade yogurt? I’m personally not really fan, but also find it easier to make things from scratch since I’m more likely to have the ingredients. Plus homemade is usually healthier :)

1. Kim says:

Just make homemade yogurt first –google it, there are tons of recipes, you’ll need some type of probiotic powder though or some already premade yogurt to use as a starter. Otherwise, it wouldn’t be frozen yogurt, it would just be ice cream.

17. National frozen yogurt week? Woo hoo! Just the excuse I need to get some fryo this week 😀 My favorite flavor is the original tart. It would be cool to try a cookie dough froyo or cheesecake!

18. Jenni says:

I love avocado! This looks awesome. Something with cinnamon and vanilla would be great too.

19. Francesca says:

Avocados are literally one of my favourite foods. I’ve made chocolate avocado pudding before but never thought of making avocado frozen yoghurt, love this idea. Definitely going to make this :) thanks Katie.

20. Katie says:

Oh my gosh, I got on your site (which I drool over all the time) to see if you had a healthy frozen yogurt recipe — and here it is, today! With avocado, my family’s favorite!! Can’t wait to try it tonight.