Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Watermelon Smoothie Recipe

An frosted homemade watermelon smoothie – the perfect way to cool off in the summer heat!

Watermelon Smoothie - inside a watermelon

I often played hostess for summer parties and gatherings as a teenager, because my family had a giant pool in the backyard that offered an escape from the brutal Texas heat. It was a great location for summer parties or for simply hanging out on weekends. However, since moving away from my childhood home, I no longer have a pool of my own and therefore must find creative new ways of luring friends to visit.

Sadly, the lawn gnomes just don’t seem to cut it.

Watermelon Bowl   Watermelon Drink

Enter the following watermelon smoothie recipe! With two fresh watermelons, I made fantastic summer smoothies for four of us yesterday afternoon. And instead of glasses, I served the smoothies in the leftover hollowed-out watermelons. Obviously, added chocolate chips for the tops were not optional.

We sat under the sun in the backyard, drinking our frosty watermelon smoothies and admiring the lawn gnomes. Okay, not really. Really, we drank our watermelon smoothie indoors, as it was much too hot to stay outside…

Also, lawn gnomes are boring.

Poor lawn gnomes.

Print This Recipe No ratings yet.

• 3 cups frozen watermelon (480g)
  • 1/3 cup milk of choice (80g)
  • pinch pure stevia extract or 1-2 tsp sugar of choice
  • chocolate chips, optional for garnish
  • full watermelon rind, for serving if desired
Total Time: 5m
Yield: 2 servings

Watermelon Smoothie Recipe: Using a large knife, cut watermelon in half. Scoop out all of the fruit with a large spoon and freeze the 3 cups of watermelon for this recipe. Reserve the hollow watermelon halves. Once the watermelon is frozen, blend with the milk and sweetener until smooth. Pour watermelon drink into the reserved watermelon or into glasses. Garnish with chocolate chips if desired.

*View Watermelon Smoothie Nutrition Facts*

chocolate covered katie

1 Minute Coffee Cake in a Mug – no oven required.

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. Alanna says:

Coolest. Drink. Ever. Seriously; so adorable with the chocolate chip “seeds” and curly straw! I love watermelon, but I never buy whole ones because I’m afraid of them rolling and cutting myself by accident. :/

Ice cream and frozen drinks are definitely tops in hot weather, and I’m not big on lawn gnomes, but I’ll take those over the “Grannie’s Fannies” things that you used to see everywhere, haha.

2. Your watermelon “cups” are really clever – I could see this being a really cute summer party idea. Plus who can resist anything with chocolate chips floating in it? Not optional for this girl!! 🙂

I love lemonade and iced teas in the summer – they just seem so right when it’s hot and sunny outside. Still good in the winter but somehow just not the same. 🙂

3. chow vegan says:

So cute! and refreshing! Love the chocolate chip “seeds”, that really took it over the top. I’m such a wimp when it comes to super hot weather, I stay inside with the AC on, a bowl of ice cream and stare at the lawn gnomes thru the window. 🙂

4. Love the watermelon cups! Too cute 🙂

5. Nicole says:

This looks delicious and so refreshing. I CAN’T wait to make it:)

6. A. Cook says:

You are too cute! I love serving fruit salads in a watermelon “bowl” but I never thought of having a frostie in one…what a fun idea!
    P.S. – From the first picture I actually thought the chocolate chips were blueberries. Now I’m thinking berries would also be a fun garnish 🙂

7. How does your hair stay so perfectly curled in the heat???

1. I used super-hold hairspray. But it definitely gets less and less curly as the day goes on, especially if I’m outside for a long time, even with the hairspray.

8. Charee says:

What an awesome way to create a beautiful cooling beverage from fruit! With a large watermelon, the rind could be the punch bowl. Summer is my favorite season.

9. sounds super refreshing! and I love the color!

10. Oh my goodness, Katie! CUTEST and BEST watermelon drink ever! Can’t wait to share this one on! You are so clever. YUM!

11. Cute recipe and cute picture! We love seeing your pretty face more often, Katie!

12. Emily Salmon says:

You are so cute Katie! You make me laugh, I love reading your posts! And your food photography is amazing, it always makes me want to make that recipe right then cause you make everything look so great. Watermelon frosties -beautiful!
    Lawn gnomes are creepy just like troll dolls!

13. Nothy says:

Okay this looks like fun! I bet it is delicious too. I’m going to make these on the weekend when my five-year-old nephews visit and I bet they will be a hit!

14. For some reason I just assumed that you had used a mini watermelon in all of the pictures above… and I got to the picture of you holding the watermelon. Lol. Nope. Full size! Which makes it even more epic 🙂 Sounds delicious and I love the idea of adding chocolate chips to make it look like the watermelon seeds!

15. Melissa says:

Ahh, looks so, so good and refreshing! I must try this!

16. susan says:

you’re too funny. Poor lawn gnomes… I love your creativity and I love chocolate even more. Just wondered what size watermelons you used? These look like the personal size, but I wouldn’t think there would be enough melon in one of those to get 4 servings…?

17. Lisa says:

That is the cutest drink I’ve ever seen. I love it. Although, I’m not a watermelon fan. I would totally make this for other people, because it’s just that adorable.

18. This is so cute!! I love this idea! Watermelon is my favorite thing in the summer 🙂

19. Sara @ LovingOnTheRun says:

Oh wow this is the most amazing thing I have ever seen. It looks so delicious and refreshing!!

20. Synthia says:

This totally reminds me of that carvel watermelon cake..just in smoothie form… remember those?!