Get two new free healthy recipes each week. Sign Up

Homemade Entenmann’s Mini Chocolate Donuts

Ingredients: 1/2 cup flour, 3/4 tsp baking powder, 1/8 tsp salt, 2/3 cup... https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2014/05/22/healthy-makeover-entenmanns-chocolate-covered-mini-donuts/ @choccoveredkt

Just 35 calories each… including the frosting!

Entenmann’s Mini Chocolate Cake Donuts have been on my “healthy makeover” list for a long time. Growing up, they were always one of my favorite junk foods, and on more than one occasion I tried to sneak them into my mother’s grocery cart when she wasn’t looking.

homemade donuts

Sadly, those store-bought chocolate donuts are far from healthy with their 42 ingredients (forty-two?!), the first of which is partially-hydrogenated shortening.

Additionally, each Entenmann’s mini donut includes high fructose corn syrup, polysorbate 60, artificial colors, artificial flavors, and preservatives. Not exactly a healthy breakfast…

The makeover version below has been kid-tested-and-approved.

An equal-weight serving has half the calories, much less fat, and twice the amount of protein and fiber as the originals!

pin-it

Homemade Entenmann’s Mini Chocolate Donuts

Adapted from: Homemade Krispy Kreme Donuts

• 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar or white vinegar
  • 1/3 cup milk of choice
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 tbsp coconut or vegetable oil (15g)
  • 1/2 cup spelt or all-purpose flour (65g) (A reader had success with Bob’s gluten-free ap flour.)
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 2 1/2 tbsp xylitol or sugar (30g)
  • pinch pure stevia extract or 1 extra tbsp sugar
  • 1/8 tsp salt

Combine first four ingredients in a small bowl, and whisk well. Preheat oven to 350 F and grease a mini doughnut pan if you have one. (If you don’t have a doughnut pan, you can cook in a mini muffin tin to make doughnut holes.) In a medium measuring bowl, combine all remaining ingredients and stir well. Now pour wet into dry and immediately pour as much of the batter into the pan as will fit, filling each of the spaces up about halfway. Bake 8 minutes, then allow to cool before removing. Bake the second batch the same way as you did the first.

Chocolate Coating: Mix together 2 tbsp pure maple syrup, 2 tbsp melted coconut oil, and scant 3 tbsp cocoa powder. If it’s not a thin sauce, gently heat until it becomes thin. (Coconut-free version: You can simply melt chocolate chips with a little shortening. Spectrum brand has no partially-hydrogenated oil.) Dip each doughnut in the frosting, either halfway or fully. Place on a wire rack, then refrigerate to “set” the frosting. Coconut oil melts at room temperature, so if you use the coconut version it is best to store these in the fridge. Makes about 18-20 coated doughnuts.

View Nutrition Information

Vegan Donuts https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2014/05/22/healthy-makeover-entenmanns-chocolate-covered-mini-donuts/

Question of the Day:

What’s your favorite type of donut? Frosted or Glazed?

Or something entirely different, like strawberry, powdered sugar, or Boston Cream Pie donuts? At Dunkin’ Donuts, I loved glazed donuts above all else, but with Entenmann’s it was always about the chocolate!

Link Of The Day:

Get Free Recipes

Don’t Miss Out On The NEW Free Healthy Recipes

Chocolate Covered Katie The Healthy Dessert Blog Recipes

Popular Right Now

Reader Interactions

84 Comments

Leave a comment or reviewLeave a rating
  1. Nathalie says

Hey beautiful <3
    Made your doughnuts today, and they tasted AWESOME. I didnt have any vegetable oil or coconut oil with me tho, so i used applesauce and it worked perfect

• Nathalie says

Umm katie? I followed the exactt ingredient you put, same directions, i followed the recipe almost 100% ( just the applesauce) yet it only made 4 donuts…… While yours made 20?

• EmilyLovesRaisins says

Nathalie-
        I used a regular-sized donut pan and got 5… I’m guessing that’s what you did! 😛

• Katie says

I used a mini donut pan and got 8. I guess mine were closer to 3/4 full rather than 1/2, but I’m still going to double the recipe next time. They turned out absolutely delicious, by the way! 😀

2. Krystal says

This is the first time I used my mini doughnut pan and boy will it not be the last! I could barely wait to frost them and ate three right out of the oven!

3. Dana says

Oh my goodness, the second I saw this recipe I knew I had to make these for my family (oh, and me too)! We’re gluten free and I haven’t had these in years. I just made them in a regular 8-donut pan with Better Batter gluten free all-purpose flour and they are awesome 🙂 Thanks for another winner recipe.
    -Dana

4. Aimee B. says

These look amazing! The chocolate covered mini donuts have always been my hubby’s fave, so I must make these for him. He can eat a bag of the others in one sitting! I have always been a maple glazed girl, but really haven’t met a donut I don’t like, lol!

5. trajayjay says

Glazed definitely. W/ Sprinkles

I like the maple glaze the best, though I’m not picky. Except I don’t dig the chocolate glaze.

6. Becca says

These have now topped my favorite healthy dessert list! They were so easy to put together, meaning I was prepared to pop them in the oven before the oven had even finished preheating, and my family devoured them. I will definitely be making these again soon! Thank you so much for this recipe!

7. AnnaBananaBelle says

weird but i actually was just thinking yesterday that i should find our if chocolatecoveredkatie had a chocolate coated donut recipe! my favorite type of donut was always boston cream. I almost never eat donuts anymore though except homemade due to how unhealthy they are. Thanks for the recipe! can’t wait to try these!

8. Sophie says

Could you please make healthy cookies and cream fudge? Kind of debating whether that’s possible or not, but you made healthy doughnuts so I think it probably is;) x

9. Kristal says

Now you only need to make a dozen more doughnut recipes to be able to create a “doughnut category” (that would be my favorite category)! I predict that doughnuts are in my near future! My favorite doughnuts are probably are… ALL DOUGHNUTS!!!!!!!! 😉

10. Ashley says

I tried these today because they looked WONDERFUL. I used the mini muffin pan and quadrupled the recipe but only got 34. Then I could not get the chocolate thin enough-it was a very strange consistency. And ideas?

• Liz says

Mini muffins are bigger than a mini donut pan. I got the right number in a donut pan, so you didn’t do anything wrong! Just microwave the sauce a little and it will thin out again.

11. Melissa says

I LOVED these. I made them today and my family of 4 already devoured them all. Easy to make and delicious.

Boston Cream Pie doughnuts?! OMG……show me the way to the vegan ones and you won’t be able to pry me away.

12. Cee says

i’m vegetarian trying to be vegan, but used to occasionally cheat with Dunkin Donuts jelly filled and double chocolate. Last time I got a jelly, there was barely any filling in it. It was so bad I had to write them an email about it. I might be done with them. Plus I learned if you put a dollop of jelly on top of cupcakes before baking, you can make (easy) jelly filled cupcakes.

13. Celine says

These were AMAZING! I made 5 regular sized donuts from the recipe above. And used vegan sunflower spread instead of coconut oil in the frosting. They took hardly any time to prep and cook. Can’t wait to make them again 🙂

14. Lita says

Do you know what the calories for this recipe are with out the chocolate frosting? I was thinking about making 2 patches, one with chocolate and one with powdered sugar. 🙂 Thanks!

15. Amy H says

Hi Katie!

Thanks so much for this recipe. I’m about to make these with my two boys (ages 3 & 1- they love your recipes almost as much as I do 😉 ) but I don’t have any vinegar in the house. Is it ok to skip it, or should I replace it with something?

Thanks again!

16. Aly says

I don’t know if you ever take recipe suggestions, but I would love to see a healthy poptart recipe! I loved poptarts as a kid, but I don’t eat them now because of how processed and full of junk they are!

17. Lisa says

Tried these and loved ’em! Didn’t have a doughnut or minimuffin tin, so I just made them into small, doughnut-flavored muffins in my regular tin. Boyfriend loved them too.

18. AnnaBananaBelle says

I tried these this morning in my cake-pop maker and they were delicious! i used better batter gf flour which already contains xanthan gum so i am not sure if you would have to add xanthan gum to a different gf flour. Thanks for the great recipe!

19. Emily says

Made these tonight for national donut day! I made my gluten free and they were so yummy and gone in seconds 🙂

20. Rachel says

I love all your recipes, Katie! Though sometimes when I try them out myself, I end up adding more stuff to it because the consistency of the batter or dough seems off. I don’t know about others, but for me personally it would be helpful if you described how the consistency and color should be in your directions? You’re so awesome! Thanks!

21. Rachel says

Hi Katie!

Can you help me out? Each time I’ve made this recipe the inside is not cooked at all. I used two different sized pans for each batch (small 1″ muffin pan and 3″ muffin pan that I filled up barely half way), but the result is the same. Should I try less liquid?

Thank you!

Sincerely,

Rachel

• Unofficial CCK Helper says

Did you look at Katie’s Recipe FAQ Page at the top of her blog? I’ve made these donuts a million times, always perfect, so it sounds like it’s an issue with your oven. Also, what flour and sugar are you using? Please respond!

22. Alexa says

Entemmens in the fridge are THE BEST. Was wondering if applesauce could be substituted for the oil to cut calories down even more? Either way these look absolutely amazingly delicious and I can’t wait to try it when I get back home from vacation.

23. Karla says

Hi Katie,

I’ve made these last night and they are SPECTACULAR! My husband, who is a junk food lover, loved these mini doughnuts! Thank you so much for this recipe Katie.

Greetings from Madrid.
    Karla

24. lena says

these are ridiculously easy and delicious!!!! I didn’t have the mini donut pan so it made 6 big ones. oh, so very yummy!!!!