Banana Margaritaville

;
For two years of my life, I lived amidst palm trees, waterfalls, swimming pools, and sand, in a two-story apartment, painted pink. This wasn’t Hawaii, nor was it Florida. No, this was in Shanghai, China. I basically lived in a resort when I lived in China (for two years in high school).
In addition to the above features, this resort boasted two excellent dining places– a café and an upscale restaurant– both with delicious vegan options.One of the most popular menu items at the café was the club’s signature fruit margaritas, which could be ordered with or without alcohol (as a high school student, mine were always virgin, of course). Depending on what was in season, the margarita flavors included strawberry, mango, kiwi, lime, raspberry, and banana (my favorite).

Imagine lounging under a palm tree, a cool breeze brushing your cheek, as you sip a sweet, refreshing margarita… now you don’t have to imagine it– I’m bringing the recipe to you!
Banana Margarita
Ingredients:
1 can (12 oz) of frozen limeade concentrate
1 1/2 cups cold water
1/4 cup sugar
1 package (16 oz) frozen strawberries (or use raspberries, bananas, or any other fruit you wish!)
1 cup ice cubes
Directions
Place all the ingredients in bleneder and blend until well-mixed and thick.

1. Cookiemouse says:

Ah, that’s the life! Just the thing to see in the year of the mouse.

2. Bonnie says:

It’s very interesting to read about where you used to live. The place sounds amazing – like your margarita recipe! I’d love to try that, I’ve actually never had a margarita and it seems like such a nice summery drink. The weather right now is far from pleasant though, so I’m afraid I’d still have to imagine that palm tree and ‘cool breeze’ with the drink – but thanks for that recipe! :)

3. Bonnie says:

Ugh, I’m sorry for the double comment! my internet connection isn’t very good at the moment and I messed up.

4. Leigh says:

How cool that you had the opportunity to live in Shanghai for two years! Do you speak Chinese?

5. Vegan_Noodle says:

Wow, looks like a nice place to live for two years! Was this some kind of exchange program? Can’t believe that margaritas are even popular in China (was it an American/international school?)! Sounds like a refreshing treat :-)

6. Traci Anne says:

YUM!!! This will be fabulous on gross NYC winter days!

7. russ says:

Mangos are awesome! It was a shame to mince that one up into a marinade for my tofu – it wasn’t as delicious as I had imagined.

You actually lived in what looks like some sort of tropical paradise! Sure doesn’t look like china!

8. the vegan blog tracker says:

Dang, that sounds incredible.

9. selina says:

wow! 2 years in China. That’s awesome!

I don’t think I could EVER pass up a banana margarita!

10. Paulina says:

I envy you now! It sounds like you were living in paradise for two years. Did you go as an exchange student?

11. Theresa says:

What a life! How did you come about living in a chinese resort?

12. Jenny says:

Wow! You were there for two years? That must have been so cool. Thanks for the recipe! I love anything fruity!

13. Missy the Garden Freak says:

i will be using that recipe sooner rather then later.. sounds scrumptious! i bet you had a great 2 years living in china… far from home but a whole new world.. how exciting… i have up and left and moved away for a while before too… it was a blast.. and i am glad i went… now, back to that yummy margarita… i think i’m gonna one with bananas or peaches.. i’ll be sure to post pics on my blog for you to see!

14. VegMomma says:

Okay, I used to walk to high school in 2 feet of snow, to be greeted with soggy french fries and pop tarts. Jealous? Uh huh!!!!
    THe margarita sounds lovely though, and I may have to try it when it warms up a bit.
    (Oh look at me perpetuating stereotypes about cold canada…I promise that we don’t live in igloos. :))

15. Liz² says:

mmm, lime and banana, that sounds like heaven in a fancy glass. lucky living in china for two years, too! did you pick up any other culinary secrets? 😉

16. Lizzy says:

Sounds wonderful! Thank you so much for bringing a light breeze of summer to our houses =)

17. Johanna3 says:

very interesting!

18. regina says:

The margaritas sound so good, I’ll have to try them. How awesome that you got to live in Shanghai, I’ve never left the states.

19. Ashasarala says:

I never knew you lived in China! That must’ve been something else!

I’ve only had one margarita in my life and it was of the alcoholic variety. I really liked it but I don’t like to stretch my imagination much, it seems, because I never thought to make one sans alcohol and just enjoy the sweet flavour. haha

Thank you for sharing!

20. Rural Vegan says:

This is the perfect post for today when 6 more inches of snow is coming. I needed a tropical photo like that a margarita might just help me forget about the weather tonight!