Irish Eyes are Smiling

Why are they smiling? It’s because they see yummy food to eat!

To celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, I wanted to make something green. And what could be greener than broccoli?! Using a recipe from the cookbook, Tofu Cookery, I baked a verdant and delightful crustless broccoli quiche.

Later that night, my mom surprised me at my apartment with a moist Irish Soda Bread, with whole wheat flour and plump, juicy raisins. Thanks, Mom!
And here’s a funny picture of my dad, the day before St. Patrick’s Day, with a green bagel from Einstein’s. He said it tasted just like a regular bagel… but I don’t think I’d want to try it!

Now that I have my camera cord back, expect lots more posts in the near future :o).

1. Bonnie says:

Photos! 😀

I haven’t had quiche in quite some time. That soda bread looks great as well, nice of your mum to bring it for you!

you know – when I first looked at that picture, I thought your dad was holding an apple. But it’s a coloured bagel! :o) awesome.

2. ~randi~ says:

Love the pic of your dad! So funny!

3. Vaishali says:

What a lovely idea to make a broccoli quiche- it sounds delicious. And your mom’s soda bread looks very moist and delectable indeed!

4. Lizzy says:

That bagel kind of freaks me out =p At first I thought it was an apple pictured from the top, ha ha!

Broccoli quiche sounds fantastic and how sweet from your mom to bring you something with your beloved raisins 😉

5. T says:

Hehe, I love holiday-themed posts. I think a lot of vegans find it difficult to come up with outside-the-box holiday food. But this looks totally fabulous! I’m still working up my nerve to try a tofu quiche… one of these days.

Meanwhile, I’m glad you found your camera!

6. Romina says:

Congrats on finding your cord!!

Your quiche looks beautiful!!! =) And your dad is making me laugh. =) I bet he’s thinking “oh boy…”

7. Wheeler's Frozen Dessert says:

Your dad is a brave man! And my compliments to your mom, that bread looks so good! (Your quiche does too, though!)

8. Kristin says:

I tagged you on my blog, so go check it out! The recipes look fab btw =)

9. Veggie says:

I love the green bagel, that’s totally hilarious!!

So nice of your mom to bake you an Irish Soda Bread, is it green too?

10. Billy says:

Looks good.

And, woah, a green bagel! Weird, but neat.

11. springsandwells says:

What a cute picture of your dad!

12. Ricki says:

I have to say, I love soda bread, but don’t think I could quite bite into one that green without a bit of trepidation! But the quiche does look yummy. 😉

13. Whaling Station Believer says:

I’d eat the bagel in a flash!

14. Heather says:

Haha, a green bagel. That’s funny. There is an Einstein’s at my school, but I didn’t go there. I wonder if they had any…. Both the quiche and soda bread look great! I’ve never had soda bread.. :-(

15. Vegan_Noodle says:

Glad you found your camera cord!! Those things are pesky sometimes.

The broccoli quiche sounds wonderful. And your mom’s soda bread… wow!! Mine turned out much paler and flatter and just sadder looking.

16. Simple and Divine says:

Hahaha, oh man, I love that picture of your dad! I looove quiches SO much and have actually found it SO easy to make a “fake” quiche in the micro…it actually ends up being more like a souffle I suppose, but it’s SO good and SO easy to turn “chocolate” :) If you want the details JUST ASK ME, though I’m sure your choco-goddess self has done this before…

17. Billy says:

I should ship you one of my cookies. :)

18. Ruby Red Vegan says:

Haha, thanks for the vocabulary lesson! As soon as I read the word “verdant,” I had to go to dictionary.com to look it up. :)

Mmm, Irish soda bread is a great present! I tried it once when I was sampling the goodies they place around my local Wild Oats store, and that is some good stuff. Your dad looks very happy with his green bagel. Colors don’t bother me, though – I’m willing to try almost anything as long as it’s vegan!

Your quiche looks sooo good! And you get extra points for making green food for St. Patty’s. I’ll have to make a colorful quiche for the next holiday that comes up… because I’ve still never made one before!

19. aTxVegn says:

That’s the greenest bagel ever! I agree that broccoli is the best green food.

20. Bianca says:

Dude, your mom is totally awesome too! My mom hasn’t ever made me Irish soda bread!