Porphyrous Passion

Yes, I could have just said “Purple Passion.” But the post sounds much more erudite this way, don’tcha think? (Of course, I just took it down like 5 vocabulary levels when I wrote “don’tcha.”)

For a reason unbeknownst even to me, I have a fascination with purple foods. Imagine my delight, therefore, when I saw the following in the produce aisle:

I brought my violet asparagus home and set off on a purple meal-making adventure. My purple recipe of choice was Happy Herbivore’s Thai Spicy Basil and Asparagus. Miss Lindsay (a.k.a. Happy Herbivore) has not failed me yet with a recipe, and this one was no exception. I listened to Lindsay’s optional directions and doubled the sauce amount, so the resulting dish was spicy, saucy, and basily (no, I don’t care if “basily” is not a word; I’m using it anyway).

After giving myself a generous 1/2 of the recipe, I served the rest to my mother. Mommy dearest wasn’t thrilled with the dish at first. “It needs something,” she complained. But once she foraged around in the kitchen and added some sugar to her serving, her opinion changed dramatically. “Wow, this tastes exactly like the garlic eggplant they serve in Chinese restaurants,” she proclaimed. Yet another Happy Herbivore hit!

On a side note, the chameleon purple asparagus did a cool little trick upon being heated– they turned green!

Another side note: I think I may need this bumper sticker. Now you all know what to get me for Christmas. 😉

1. loveofoats says:

mmmmmmmmm yum!!!!! and your use of the word basily is very fitting to describe the flavors of this disk, so i’m glad you used it!

i love the bumper sticker… too funny 🙂

2. romina says:

Purple is my favorite color!! I wish I could find purple foods. =(

3. Ricki says:

How very cool–never seen purple (or porphyrous!) asparagus before. Too bad it changed back to green–would have looked great next to that eggplant. Glad your mom liked it, too 🙂

4. Anonymous says:

is it just me or do you eat more around your parents! sorry for the odd question.

5. aTxVegn says:

That’s nice that the asparagus turned green when you cooked it. I think it’s purple cauliflower that turns an unappetizing shade of gray. I’m going to enjoy your infatuation with purple food. You know how I love my purple cabbage!

Erudite is another of my favorite words.

6. ChickPea says:

I love purple foods! I have never tried purple asparagus, but I got some nifty purple beans from the farmers’ market last summer. They turned green upon cooking as well, but it was still fun to see them brighten up my veggie drawer!
    Love that bumper sticker…

7. Anonymous says:

I just discovered your blog a few days ago, and now I get so excited when I see you have posted! That dish looks so yummy and you are so lucky that your mother embraces vegan dishes. Whenever I cook for my parents, they always end up adding cheese or butter to it! Anyways, keep up the great work!

8. Veg*Triathlete says:

Oooo, I’ve seen purple cauliflower but never purple asparagus—until now! When I was kid, I was totally in love with this store in Boston that was devoted to purple stuff. I thought it was the coolest thing ever
    🙂

9. Lizzy says:

Ahh I need that bumper sticker! This is so true. When I see something that’s purple there’s no doubt I’ll buy it: candy, clothes… whatever =p

Too bad it turned green, but purple asparagus surely looks amazing =)

10. shellyfish says:

I was making a berry smoothie this morning and totally though of you Special K- it was purple!!
    Now here’s a question for you- do you like beets? They are one of the only things I don’t love- I tolerate them, but wish I liked ’em because they are soo good for you.

11. oatmeal says:

I didn’t know purple asparagus existed! But wow they turned green? That’s so exciting! 😀

And who knew sugar would work so well with savory dishes!

12. Jennifer says:

I love your purple asparagus, how fun! I wish I liked eggplant, because I’ve been eyeing that dish. I’ve only had eggplant a couple of times and didn’t like it either time I had it. But that was a LONG time ago. Before I even went veg. Maybe I should give it a try. I think I may end up getting eggplant in my CSA anyway.

I love that bumper sticker!

13. linds says:

Hmmm…well I *could* just order you a new one, but I think it would be much more fun to launch a covert spy operation into FedEx’s headquarters and recapture your precious giant banana….What d’ya say???? haha

Good luck with your job hunt, it really isn’t fun at allll. But on the plus side, your dinner looks awesome!

14. Cassie says:

Wow that’s cool! I have never seen purple asparagus! And it’s even cooler that it turned green when cooked.

15. Mihl says:

Living in a country where white asparagus rules the spring months I always thought that the green variety was something special. I didn’t even know there was purple!

16. Eric says:

Hey this is eric from vegangrub….thanks for leaving a comment on my blog!

I love asparagus and I love purple. I actually have a few things they sell at the purple store, but I didn’t guy them from that site (the purple camo pants and the purple tie). That bumper sticker rules!

I recently saw that purple asparagus at the grocery store, and the tag called it “Purple Haze Asparagus”. I had to buy it!

Anyway, great blog and I’ll be adding you to my google reader and blogroll!

Cheers!

17. Kumudha says:

I too love purple color…

purple asparagus looks cool!

18. Bianca says:

I bought this same asparagus at my Kroger a few weeks ago! Is it not the girthiest (also not a word, but I don’t care) asparagus you’ve ever seen?! I couldn’t believe how fat it was?

And yes, I was a little sad that it turned green…just like plain ol’ regular asparagus, but sure was pretty in the raw form.

19. Danielle says:

LOVE PURPLE! and this blog, you’re on my new blogroll 🙂 hope you don’t mind!

20. Kelly T says:

ha- i was confused for a sec. I oculdnt understand why you would buy purple asparagus and then use green.

weird that happens.

I always get the purplest artichokes i can find. Makes it more fun.

Never tried that purple ketchup though- too weird for me.