Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

My Big, Fat Greek Yogurt

Ok, so it’s not really Greek. And if you want to get super-picky on me, it’s not really yogurt either. (It’s not made from dairy milk, and it doesn’t have any bacteria.) But I’m claiming “creative liberties” and sticking with my title, thank you very much.

Whew; now that that’s out of the way, let’s proceed with the vegan yogurt-making lesson, shall we, class?

Vegan Yogurt 101

As stated earlier in this post, my “vegan Greek yogurt” isn’t really yogurt as far as Webster’s Dictionary is concerned. It’s also not really vegan Greek yogurt, although I’m sure such a thing must exist somewhere. While it is possible to make vegan yogurt that contains live cultures, I’m too timid to attempt working with yogurt starter at present time. (Someday, I’m sure the courage will come to me!) But lack of probiotics aside, this vegan yogurt recipe is still very healthy thanks to the tofu and fruit it contains (not to mention the fact that it is much lower in sugar than commercial vegan yogurt). It’s also easy-peasy to make!

Yogurtlicious Vegan Yogurt

(Makes 1 serving, but you can easily double the recipe)

• 60 grams silken firm tofu (I recommend Mori-Nu)
  • 60 grams fruit of choice (or more or less, depending on the fruit, but 60 grams seemed to work well for al the fruit-combinations I tried.  Also, I’ve only tried this recipe with frozen fruit.)
  • 2 tablespoons liquid (water or juice)
  • Sweetener of choice, to taste
  • Optional extracts or spices
  • Optional yogurt toppings, such as granola, wheat germ, shredded wheat, chocolate chips… oops, how did that last one get on there?

Put everything in a Magic Bullet or food processor and blend. That’s all there is to it!

*Note about the measurements in this recipe: I’ve recently fallen in love with my mom’s food scale; it saves me from having to dirty-up (and thus clean) a bunch of measuring cups, and I can even measure liquids with it! For someone who doesn’t like the hassle of measuring (if I’m not making a recipe for the blog, I often don’t bother measuring at all), this machine is a blessing.

Yogurt-licious Pictures:

Simple Strawberry vegan yogurt

Spicy Peach vegan yogurt

Rockin‘ Raspberry

Just in time for Valentine’s Day, how about indulging in some Chocolate-Strawberry vegan Yogurt (Simply add cocoa powder to the strawberry recipe.)

1. Jen aka Jewbacca says:

this was a really good entry. when i tried veganism the first time i did that sort of thing, but called it pudding. i did that with silken tofu, apple juice, and mangoes. i only knew how to cook 3 or 4 things back then.

i never liked yogurt because of the tanginess, not the sweetness. not to mention you can’t recycle yogurt containers in my neck of the woods.

2. poopiebitch says:

Cool! Thanks for that tutorial – I may just go make some ‘yogurt’ for myself!

Also, if you’re really interested in possibly making your own yogurt with live cultures, you should check out Renae’s entry here: http://ieatfood.net/?p=130 and just skip the part about making your own soy milk (unless you want to do that too!).

Apparently, all you need is one tablespoon of soy yogurt, which can even be from a store bought container, to make a batch of yogurt. Oh, and probably a yogurt maker, although there are ways around that, too!

I really want something with chocolate and strawberries now!

3. Nicole (anotheronebitesthecrust.wordpress.com) says:

Mmmmmm! I love yogurt, I do need to try out your recipe.

4. Veganissexy says:

Ha! That is EXACTLY how I make my "yogurt" too. I thought I was crazy for calling it that! I use frozen strawberries for my fruit everytime though, and find it gives it more of a sturdy bite. I also use almond breeze & stevia to sweeten it. With using the whole package of morinu tofu I get about 3 servings to eat with my morning fruit & fiber cereal. Lovely!

5. Kailey (SnackFace) says:

My goodness! This looks so simple and delicious! And protein-licious! I absolutely must make some this weekend! I just hope my ol’ rusty blender works… :)

6. imadedinner says:

Interesting! I never would’ve thought to make yogurt out of tofu!

7. DJ says:

This looks great! And like you say – the possible variations are endless! Plus, I love your glass yogurt bowl!

8. Maggie says:

i love this! i used to make this often but with a little bit of vegan milk instead of the water/juice. i’d add enough so that it was like a smoothie :)

9. glidingcalm says:

that sounds wonderful! I would love to try that one day!!

and such cute/gorgeous photos CCV!

you areee a ROCK STAR. that’s all there is to it.

10. Bianca says:

Yummy! Personally, I’m a yogurt freak! I eat soy yogurt almost every day before I work out….but this looks yummy too. I’d probably stir in some probiotic powder in mine though, cause I am obsessed with probiotics right now. They fixed my tummy issues!

11. Vegyogini says:

Nice work, CCV! I don’t often eat yogurt, but when I do, I like plain yogurt because it’s tangy and not sweet. Wildwood makes a good vegan one. Now, you’ll just have to let us know if you turn your yogurt into frozen yogurt…

12. Cody says:

The peach sounds tasty.

Yogurt and I have always had a rocky relationship. There is just something about it that makes me crave it one day, and barely able to swallow it the next.

13. Marianne says:

Not all commercial yogurt is sweetened – I pretty much only buy plain yogurt, and add in whatever my heart desires to make my own custom flavour.

This looks insteresting. Does it keep well at all?

14. shelby says:

Mmm, I think I will try this out for a snack later on!

15. Kiersten says:

Making your own yogurt is a really good idea.

I used to eat yogurt all the time before going vegan, but all the soy yogurts I have tried so far are really disappointing.

16. Kiki says:

Hm, you just might be seeing this on my blog tonight! I have some tofu in the fridge that I don’t want to go bad.

Can’t wait for the valentines day post!

17. trustingmyintuition says:

excellent idea! If only I had bought silken tofu yesterday :( Next time!

18. I ♥ puggies says:

Yay! I’m happy you posted the yogurt blog! I can’t wait to try it. Thanks for sharing!

19. Sagan says:

Oooh nice photos. That looks really tasty! It’s great that you’re having so much fun experimenting (and you take all the creative liberties you want :)).

LOVE Valentines Day. Just because it means I get to wear lots of red and eat chocolate. Tasty.

20. aredcardigan says:

I want the strawberry one PLEASE?????

21. Melody Polakow says:

Great shortcut! I love making “frozen yogurt” like this with frozen fruit and frozen bananas..

One of my first cooking classes I taught years ago I did this in a food processor and the women were sooo excited by how easy and delicious it was. hehe.. If only more people realized how easy it is to eat healthy vegan food!

22. Laci says:

Easy peasy and SO simple! I NEED a vitamix… but the pric + the economy = no no says parents! =(

23. Erin of Care to Eat says:

What an awesome recipe! I’m so doing it! I love my food scale and use it all the time!

24. Nazarina A says:

Bravo, bravo!
    You have sent my taste buds in a whirl of delight especially with the strawberry flavor.I have bookmarked this post of yours because now that dairy has decided not to like me anymore, I need all the help I can get on the vegan front!!!

25. cherry_lips says:

yum!!!

26. Jessy says:

Yum, I love yogurt!

This sounds like a great vegan alternative (I tried some soy yogurt, it tasted… funny.)

27. Chelsea says:

I’ve never been a yogurt fan, but that chocolatey one looks delicious!

28. Meg says:

Yum! Yogurt that I can enjoy! They all look delicious! I am going to have to try making these!

29. aTxVegn says:

These look so much better than any store-bought yogurt. When I did eat yogurt long ago, I always bought plain and added my own fruit because I thought all the flavors were too sweet. Yogurt is not even supposed to be sweet, right?!!!

30. River says:

Excuse me, Miss Katie? Tommy just threw a spitball at me! The only thing that would make me feel better would be a bowl of chocolate-strawberry yogurt! :)

YAY for chocolate-covered Valentine’s Day inspired posts!!

31. Ricki says:

All options look delish! I do a banana-strawberry version of this that’s also really yummy.

32. Vegetation says:

I recently tried to make some coconut milk yoghurt. I dumped a tonne of probiotics in there but it just never fermented and I was sad because all I had at the end of it was warm coconut milk :(

This looks wonderfully delicious! I wish I could eat tofu :(

33. Agnesss =) says:

Hey heyyyyoo KATIE!!!!!!!

Ohhh I’ve been away from blogland for sooo looong!! NO INTERNET ACCESS!!! =(

I missed your posts and your blog!!!

How are things going for you,Girl…??? =))) Hope you’re fine!!

AHHHHH YOUR YOUGHURTS look SOOO YUMMYY!!!! I loooove CREAMY STUFF!!! My OBSESSION!!!
    Smoothies,Puddings,Creams etc… AHHHHHHHH MMMMM….gettin’ hungry!!

Lovely bowls you’re using!! So cute!! =D

Well,I love to make Macadamia Yoghurt… with soaked macadamias blended with water,agave syup and vanilla till creamy and yoghurt-like…and then I leave the mixture to ferment for bout ONE DAY in a pretty warm place…IT’S SOOOO YUMMY!!! =D And SOOO AUTHENTIC!! Only better!! =DDDD

And then after the fermentation I like to add fruit(f.ex.strawberries…=)mm) and blend again for a FRUIT FLAVORED YOGHURT!! =D SImple and YUMMY-licious!! =DDDDD

Katie,you’re such a creative vegan girl…=D

Hope to see you on my blog some day!! Miss you!! =D

HUGGGS anjoy your day!!

34. MizFit says:

refresh
    refresh
    REFRESH

cant wait for the mousse…

35. miss v says:

i’m digging it. i never really liked yogurt all that much either, so i bet your recipe is perfect for me. and with the magic bullet, anything tastes good.

36. Burp and Slurp~! says:

wow, thank you, that is one awesome recipe! I LOVE how you give us a basic recipe that leaves lots of room to get creative!
    the only thing lacking, though, is probably that “tang” from real yogurts…what if I added a bit of lemon juice? would that work?

37. Lauren says:

Yum! T loves Greek yogurt, now I can have some too! :)

38. talesofexpansion says:

love your creativity!! that “yogurt” looks delicious and surprisingly yogurt-like. i will have to give it a try soon!

39. ttfn300 says:

how cool! i’ll have to give it a shot :)

40. Lisa says:

Hmmm. I have all those ingredients. Need to give it a shot!

41. chocolatecoffeekitchen says:

Genius! I love this idea. Of course you came up with a chocolate version, hahaha :) That’s the one I will try for sure.

42. Lily Girl says:

I am not much of a fan of the commercial soy yogurts either, but I plan to make my own. However I will make mine cultured – I just love the tang too much. Your yogurt/pudding looks yummy.

43. gina (fitnessista) says:

slacker here is just now seeing your new header– it’s BEAUTIFUL! your cupcakes are amazing 😀
    i love the yogurt recipe! i have some silken yogurt in the fridge- wahoo!!
    have a great day!

44. Megan says:

mmm, omg this stuff is SCREAMING my name!!!

yum yum yum.

love the new pic of cupcakes at the top :)

45. sweetandfit says:

this looks to easy to be true! i love it! I actually have some tofu that I have no idea what to do with. hope you have had a great weekend =)

46. Astra Libris says:

Oh WOW, your yogurt recipe sounds heavenly!! So healthful and yummy – I’d love some for dessert, please! :-)

I love your new banner! Positively gorgeous! (I’m in awe of the laptop cupcake… :-)

47. Ruby Red Vegan says:

Your posts rock! You are such an entertaining writer (and the coolest teacher ever, but I promise I'm not a suck-up!). I think your Greek yogurt is a fantabulous idea — I never liked that pesky sweetness of soy yogurt either, or the pesky artificial sweeteners when I used to eat dairy yogurt.

I can't wait for your V-day posts (and I will completely admit I'm nosy & curious to hear whether you have any chocolate-covered love interests [boys, I mean, not food!!! hehe]).

48. vegannurse says:

Genius, Katie! Pure genius!!

Will definitely give it a try, soon though. Thanks for the great idea!

49. thecleanveggie says:

*gasp* im going to have to try your yogurt for a animal free alternative :)
    genius!!

50. Juliet says:

Yum! I’d love to make some vegan yogurt! Thanks for the great idea. :)

51. acookinthemaking says:

SO excited to try yogurt-making! And I love the way the blog looks–the title picture is especially lovely!

52. foodsthatfit says:

Looks delicious! So many flavor options!

53. ¡Yo Soy Liz! says:

i am definitely going to be whipping up a batch of this to bring to work. thanks for the inspiration!

54. Bethany says:

mmmm… spicy peach!

55. Vanilla says:

Hum, is this the secret recipe of the mysterious picture?
    Guess #9

56. Natasha says:

Haha. Sorry, had to take a moment to chuckle at the name “poopiebitch”.

Anyway. Do you think these recipes could be used in recipes that call for regular soy yogurt? I have a smoothie recipe that calls for it, but I don’t like store bought soy yogurt because it leaves a weird taste in my mouth, and I don’t want my smoothies being ruined by that. Let me know! :)

57. Hey Natasha,
    Yes, definitely, they can! They offer the same creamy consistency as soy yogurts, so I think they’d work similarly in any smoothie recipe. :)

58. Natasha says:

Awesome, thanks!
    Yogurt is one of the things I miss since going vegan, and since the store bought variety just don’t cut it, I’m hoping this will be a good substitution. Will be making this tonight!

59. Olivia R says:

I made this yesterday and tonight-it somehow always gets the consistency of a smoothie, not yogurt. I don’t know if I’m adding too much fruit, but I feel like its the only way to hide the soy taste. help!!

60. Olivia,
    I would think that adding more fruit would make it thicker and LESS smoothie-like :-?. But perhaps you just really don’t like the taste of tofu (I DO like the taste). Maybe try the agar version instead:

61. devan says: