My Big, Fat Greek Yogurt

Ok, so it’s not really Greek. And if you want to get super-picky on me, it’s not really yogurt either. (It’s not made from dairy milk, and it doesn’t have any bacteria.) But I’m claiming “creative liberties” and sticking with my title, thank you very much.

Whew; now that that’s out of the way, let’s proceed with the vegan yogurt-making lesson, shall we, class?

Vegan Yogurt 101

As stated earlier in this post, my “vegan Greek yogurt” isn’t really yogurt as far as Webster’s Dictionary is concerned. It’s also not really vegan Greek yogurt, although I’m sure such a thing must exist somewhere. While it is possible to make vegan yogurt that contains live cultures, I’m too timid to attempt working with yogurt starter at present time. (Someday, I’m sure the courage will come to me!) But lack of probiotics aside, this vegan yogurt recipe is still very healthy thanks to the tofu and fruit it contains (not to mention the fact that it is much lower in sugar than commercial vegan yogurt). It’s also easy-peasy to make!

Yogurtlicious Vegan Yogurt

(Makes 1 serving, but you can easily double the recipe)

• 60 grams silken firm tofu (I recommend Mori-Nu)
  • 60 grams fruit of choice (or more or less, depending on the fruit, but 60 grams seemed to work well for al the fruit-combinations I tried.  Also, I’ve only tried this recipe with frozen fruit.)
  • 2 tablespoons liquid (water or juice)
  • Sweetener of choice, to taste
  • Optional extracts or spices
  • Optional yogurt toppings, such as granola, wheat germ, shredded wheat, chocolate chips… oops, how did that last one get on there?

Put everything in a Magic Bullet or food processor and blend. That’s all there is to it!

*Note about the measurements in this recipe: I’ve recently fallen in love with my mom’s food scale; it saves me from having to dirty-up (and thus clean) a bunch of measuring cups, and I can even measure liquids with it! For someone who doesn’t like the hassle of measuring (if I’m not making a recipe for the blog, I often don’t bother measuring at all), this machine is a blessing.

Yogurt-licious Pictures:

Simple Strawberry vegan yogurt

Spicy Peach vegan yogurt

Rockin‘ Raspberry

Just in time for Valentine’s Day, how about indulging in some Chocolate-Strawberry vegan Yogurt (Simply add cocoa powder to the strawberry recipe.)

1. Jen aka Jewbacca says:

this was a really good entry. when i tried veganism the first time i did that sort of thing, but called it pudding. i did that with silken tofu, apple juice, and mangoes. i only knew how to cook 3 or 4 things back then.

i never liked yogurt because of the tanginess, not the sweetness. not to mention you can’t recycle yogurt containers in my neck of the woods.

2. poopiebitch says:

Cool! Thanks for that tutorial – I may just go make some ‘yogurt’ for myself!

Also, if you’re really interested in possibly making your own yogurt with live cultures, you should check out Renae’s entry here: http://ieatfood.net/?p=130 and just skip the part about making your own soy milk (unless you want to do that too!).

Apparently, all you need is one tablespoon of soy yogurt, which can even be from a store bought container, to make a batch of yogurt. Oh, and probably a yogurt maker, although there are ways around that, too!

I really want something with chocolate and strawberries now!

3. Nicole (anotheronebitesthecrust.wordpress.com) says:

Mmmmmm! I love yogurt, I do need to try out your recipe.

4. Veganissexy says:

Ha! That is EXACTLY how I make my "yogurt" too. I thought I was crazy for calling it that! I use frozen strawberries for my fruit everytime though, and find it gives it more of a sturdy bite. I also use almond breeze & stevia to sweeten it. With using the whole package of morinu tofu I get about 3 servings to eat with my morning fruit & fiber cereal. Lovely!

5. Kailey (SnackFace) says:

My goodness! This looks so simple and delicious! And protein-licious! I absolutely must make some this weekend! I just hope my ol’ rusty blender works… 🙂

6. imadedinner says:

Interesting! I never would’ve thought to make yogurt out of tofu!

7. DJ says:

This looks great! And like you say – the possible variations are endless! Plus, I love your glass yogurt bowl!

8. Maggie says:

i love this! i used to make this often but with a little bit of vegan milk instead of the water/juice. i’d add enough so that it was like a smoothie 🙂

9. glidingcalm says:

that sounds wonderful! I would love to try that one day!!

and such cute/gorgeous photos CCV!

you areee a ROCK STAR. that’s all there is to it.

10. Bianca says:

Yummy! Personally, I’m a yogurt freak! I eat soy yogurt almost every day before I work out….but this looks yummy too. I’d probably stir in some probiotic powder in mine though, cause I am obsessed with probiotics right now. They fixed my tummy issues!

11. Vegyogini says:

Nice work, CCV! I don’t often eat yogurt, but when I do, I like plain yogurt because it’s tangy and not sweet. Wildwood makes a good vegan one. Now, you’ll just have to let us know if you turn your yogurt into frozen yogurt…

12. Cody says:

The peach sounds tasty.

Yogurt and I have always had a rocky relationship. There is just something about it that makes me crave it one day, and barely able to swallow it the next.

13. Marianne says:

Not all commercial yogurt is sweetened – I pretty much only buy plain yogurt, and add in whatever my heart desires to make my own custom flavour.

This looks insteresting. Does it keep well at all?

14. shelby says:

Mmm, I think I will try this out for a snack later on!

15. Kiersten says:

Making your own yogurt is a really good idea.

I used to eat yogurt all the time before going vegan, but all the soy yogurts I have tried so far are really disappointing.

16. Kiki says:

Hm, you just might be seeing this on my blog tonight! I have some tofu in the fridge that I don’t want to go bad.

Can’t wait for the valentines day post!

17. trustingmyintuition says:

excellent idea! If only I had bought silken tofu yesterday 🙁 Next time!

18. I ♥ puggies says:

Yay! I’m happy you posted the yogurt blog! I can’t wait to try it. Thanks for sharing!

19. Sagan says:

Oooh nice photos. That looks really tasty! It’s great that you’re having so much fun experimenting (and you take all the creative liberties you want :)).

LOVE Valentines Day. Just because it means I get to wear lots of red and eat chocolate. Tasty.

20. aredcardigan says:

I want the strawberry one PLEASE?????